Old
12-07-2012, 09:57 AM
Shaun
beauty

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
Speaking of grocery shopping...

The Johnnie's near me closed, and as I was driving by it the other day noticed that a sign saying a Stop and SHop was being put in there.

There is another Stop and Shop literally a mile down the road. A straight shot, too. I don't understand.
The one by Sunoco down the street from the rink?

Old
12-07-2012, 09:58 AM
Morris Wanchuk

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert terwilliger View Post
takeout?

i put a big "x" on the tip line and then rewrite the total on the next line.
Me too.

Old
12-07-2012, 11:05 AM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
The one by Sunoco down the street from the rink?
No, the current one is in Wellington plaza. the Johnnies that got sold is in a smaller plaza with a Shell station across the street...I guess it's near the rink, but I wouldn't say "down the street"

Old
12-07-2012, 12:56 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
I would probably tip pea pod people and I am generally not someone who tips outside of the standard industries. My wife on the other hand can find an excuse to tip everyone.

Wedding planning was a struggle because apparently on top of paying every vendor to do their job, you are expected to tip them too?

Another peeve of mine is when you get takeout, at the restaurant, not delivery, and you get the cc receipt that has a tip option on it. I wonder how many people fill that out because the person is staring at you when you do it.
Here's what I do. Because I cant stand getting home to find out they forgot a meal, or screwed something up, in a huge order, which happens a lot. I make them physically check it. If they do, and there's no hassle, I do tip them.

Eyeroll and a tude? They get nothing.

Old
12-07-2012, 01:47 PM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert terwilliger View Post
takeout?

i put a big "x" on the tip line and then rewrite the total on the next line.
Good idea. I will try that next time I charge takeout.

Living out in the sticks I can't get food delivered

Old
12-07-2012, 02:17 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNgold 84 View Post
A few times when i've gotten take out ( a couple pizzerias) i'll put a tip on the receipt and i've gotten (no don't do that its blah blah) so they have re-enter or something. So now i just don't usually tip at those establishments.. but i make up for it with 15-20 % at a real resturant so that i won't get coal in my stockings.
As someone who's worked in many restaurants and bars, I can tell you that 15% is kind of an insult. Anything less than 20% is really not worth bragging about leaving...

My standard tip is 20% even if they're bad, and it goes up if the server is good at their job. The only way you'd ever get less than that from me was if you showed a complete lack of caring or disrespect to me or someone in my party.

When I lived in Boston, I always took care of the delivery guys. A few extra bucks on a delivery went a long way to ensuring they took care of you. We used to order out so often that the delivery guys all knew us and would come to our place first because we took care of them.

Old
12-07-2012, 02:36 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
As someone who's worked in many restaurants and bars, I can tell you that 15% is kind of an insult. Anything less than 20% is really not worth bragging about leaving...

My standard tip is 20% even if they're bad, and it goes up if the server is good at their job. The only way you'd ever get less than that from me was if you showed a complete lack of caring or disrespect to me or someone in my party.

When I lived in Boston, I always took care of the delivery guys. A few extra bucks on a delivery went a long way to ensuring they took care of you. We used to order out so often that the delivery guys all knew us and would come to our place first because we took care of them.
Anyone who's worked for tips will generally be a generous tipper.

In other news, my son came home from school today with a big chip in his front tooth.

Old
12-07-2012, 02:41 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post

In other news, my son came home from school today with a big chip in his front tooth.
Are you kidding me? What did the school say about it? If that happened to my child, I'd be livid.

Old
12-07-2012, 02:44 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:

I must have been a good day for the food service people when tax went from 5% to 6.25%. Tripping the tax get them 18.75% now.

What is the standard for beers? I usually give $1 each which is around 20% but I got attitude once from a bartender at Hong Kong for giving her $3 on a $2.50 beer in a can.

Old
12-07-2012, 03:07 PM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

Quote:

Damn what is it with your family and dental issues lately????

Old
12-07-2012, 03:36 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Are you kidding me? What did the school say about it? If that happened to my child, I'd be livid.
I got an email from his teacher before he got home saying she'd noticed it, but didn't know if he had it when he came to school or if it happened during the day. It could certainly have happened last night; there's no way to know. IF something had happened at school (a fall in gym class, or something of the sort) it certainly would have been noticed, as they have a large ratio of aides and teachers to students. And there's no bruise or anything like that. And he's not upset or anything. I suspect he bit into something and chipped it then.

Quote:
Damn what is it with your family and dental issues lately????
I know, when it rains it pours, right? And this is the second time he's chipped a front tooth - he fell down and banged his teeth on the floor when he was around six, so here we go again. At least there's no insurance issues as he's covered (unlike me).

Old
12-07-2012, 03:49 PM
Neely08

Quote:

Anyone who's worked w/ the public at all knows what it's like to deal w/ people.

This was definitely not my calling in life. Therefore, full respect for anyone that has to. So I generally over tip.

Old
12-07-2012, 03:51 PM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
I must have been a good day for the food service people when tax went from 5% to 6.25%. Tripping the tax get them 18.75% now.

What is the standard for beers? I usually give $1 each which is around 20% but I got attitude once from a bartender at Hong Kong for giving her $3 on a $2.50 beer in a can.
I always tip bartenders very generously, because it tends to translate into free drinks.

Old
12-07-2012, 03:52 PM
EverettMike

A drink is anywhere from 75 cents to a 1.50 per drink at the bar.

A dollar per beer is the standard. But if your change is a 1.25 you are kind of an ******* for picking up the quarter.

Oh, and I have never worked for tips. I am just generous.

Old
12-07-2012, 03:56 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
A drink is anywhere from 75 cents to a 1.50 per drink at the bar.

A dollar per beer is the standard. But if your change is a 1.25 you are kind of an ******* for picking up the quarter.

Oh, and I have never worked for tips. I am just generous.
I just hope you don't hurt your shoulder patting yourself on the back like that...

In all seriousness, I worked for tips all through college, and it blows. There were some people who were so rude that I'd rather not have taken a dime from them. All those jobs did was remind me that for the most part, people suck.

Old
12-07-2012, 04:00 PM
EverettMike

Quote:
I just hope you don't hurt your shoulder patting yourself on the back like that...

In all seriousness, I worked for tips all through college, and it blows. There were some people who were so rude that I'd rather not have taken a dime from them. All those jobs did was remind me that for the most part, people suck.
**** that. PRAISE ME AND MY TIPPING PRINCIPLES!

Old
12-07-2012, 04:10 PM
doubleminor138
Call me Snake

This is starting to remind me of that scene in Reservoir Dogs...that is too NSFW to post here in case somebody thinks I was just being lazy.

A true fan who will always be remembered.
Old
12-07-2012, 04:12 PM
Neely08

Quote:

There is a certain segment of our population who consider it sport to go out of their way to make life hard at every possible opportunity.

My in laws definitely fell into this category. No meal was ever cooked properly; forks clean enough, restaurant the proper temperature, nearest table quiet enough etc etc. For instance we took them to a rotating restaurant. Guess what they complained about? Yup, being dizzy.

I used to pull our waiter aside BEFORE being served, and tip him/her up front. They'd always say - "Oh no, sir. That's not necessary, we'll take good care of them". I'd make them take it and tell them you have no idea what you're dealing with. They're the Terminators of complaining. They never ever stop.

Old
12-07-2012, 04:25 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post
There is a certain segment of our population who consider it sport to go out of their way to make life hard at every possible opportunity.

My in laws definitely fell into this category. No meal was ever cooked properly; forks clean enough, restaurant the proper temperature, nearest table quiet enough etc etc. For instance we took them to a rotating restaurant. Guess what they complained about? Yup, being dizzy.

I used to pull our waiter aside BEFORE being served, and tip him/her up front. They'd always say - "Oh no, sir. That's not necessary, we'll take good care of them". I'd make them take it and tell them you have no idea what you're dealing with. They're the Terminators of complaining. They never ever stop.
Yeah man been there... My Bro's father in law and my good friend (God rest his soul) was a menace. One time he thought the waiter was Spanish, so he started busting his balls in Spanish, and the guy was like, "Um, I'm not Spanish and have no idea what you are saying".... Another time we were out and my daughters friend was waitressing...He made her ****ing cry even after we told him who she was... Thankfully we didn't go out much LOL.

Old
12-07-2012, 04:46 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Yeah man been there... My Bro's father in law and my good friend (God rest his soul) was a menace. One time he thought the waiter was Spanish, so he started busting his balls in Spanish, and the guy was like, "Um, I'm not Spanish and have no idea what you are saying".... Another time we were out and my daughters friend was waitressing...He made her ****ing cry even after we told him who she was... Thankfully we didn't go out much LOL.
That's what drove me insane. They always wanted to go out, "Let's try this restaurant, lets get reservations here". I'd confront them a/b their behavior and they'd look at me like I was crazy. I told my wife flat out, had she not been adopted, it would have been a dealbreaker. And, yes. Despite being married on a perfect beach, in a wedding everyone we know still talks a/b being the most beautiful wedding they ever attended, and on our dime? Yeah, they complained! Wife is a NYer, no way I was getting married there, so I wouldn't take their money. Plus with my family? People would still be doing "time" in NY somewhere.

Old
12-07-2012, 06:14 PM
Central Scrutinizer
Lord of Song

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Richard 37 View Post
One of the reasons you're the man. Words taken straight from my own mouth.
so you and KnightofBoston are an item?

Old
12-07-2012, 06:27 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

I just picked up a pizza on my way home from the liquor store. I drew a line in the tip space, and thought of you *******s as I did it.

At bars, my standard is $1/drink, up to 3 drinks.

Restaurants 20% is my base.

I've bartended, waitressed, and scooped ice cream. People can be *******s.

Old
12-07-2012, 06:34 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

I left work early today to go to a bone marrow testing drive. An acquaintance from college has MDS and needs to find a donor, so there was a drive at his office. 2 friends from college and I went at the end of it, and I have to say....what a moving experience. I saw more people from college parading into that waiting room to fill out paperwork and get tested than I thought possible. Not even people who were super friendly with the person in need, word just spread that a classmate needed help and many, many people showed up.

Stuff like that restores my faith in humanity.

Old
12-07-2012, 07:10 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Richard 37 View Post
One of the reasons you're the man. Words taken straight from my own mouth.
It's the best way to describe it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
so you and KnightofBoston are an item?
We're not quite there yet...but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a really lucky guy...

Old
12-07-2012, 07:14 PM
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns

Closed Thread