HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Basketball
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Basketball NBA, NCAA, International

NBA Regular Season Thread II (11/25-12/25)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-07-2012, 12:35 PM
  #501
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 15,405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
But people never expected the Kings to be doing much, it's not like the expectation that Lakers fans have for the Lakers.

There's teams in the league where the regular season really doesn't mean much, the Lakers, Miami, Spurs, OKC even though they don't yet have the hardware. Even Memphis has graduated to this point now the group they have now knows that what happens in the regular season doesn't mean ****. They've moved past the point of "omg playoffs Grizzlies rule!" Spurs, OKC, Miami, Memphis all have had great starts to the season in terms of record, the thing is those fan bases don't really care, because they know in the grand scheme of things having a shiny record in November/December means nothing.

This is why it was funny when some people thought it was such a big deal that Miami went down to the Wizards, my twitter feed was blowing up with Miami haters "omg they lost to the Wizards what a joke", the 72 win Bulls team lost to the expansion Raptors, it means nothing. Funnily enough my twitter feed was blowing up today with people ranting on about how amazing the Knicks are, relax Spike.

Once you graduate to being part of the elite of the league, the regular season is just warm ups for the big dance, each sport has this group, and of course it changes over time. Then there's the teams that aren't part of this group, and expectations and levels of excitement are much different. If you're a Blue Jackets fan, you're going to get a lot more giddy over starting say 8-2 than you would if you were a Pens fan. The Pens and Pens fans know those 10 games don't mean ****, shiny regular season records mean nothing when you get bounced in the playoffs early, which has been a pain the Pens have had to deal with in recent times since the cup run. Clearly Knicks fans are still in this getting giddy over such things stage, unsurprising when they have been starved of success for so long. But you'll understand why fans of teams who have been in the hunt for a long time now really couldn't care less about your first round playoff exit last year and your hot start to this season and why they couldn't really care less about their own teams hot starts either. The Knicks are 14-4, OKC and the Spurs are 15-4, those fans aren't stamping around about how they are one of the top teams and needing to point out to everyone how good their record is and that they are the top team in the league and whatever, because those teams and those fans know that your record right now means very little.

The thing is, Knicks fans think this is some sort of vendetta against the Knicks, that people are trying to hold the Knicks down or diminish the Knicks achievements, but that isn't the case, because fans of teams who have better/similar records hold the same lack of caring about their own teams strong start as the do the Knicks strong start. Of course, it's better to be 15-4 than 9-10 (Lakers dig come at me) but once you get to the playoffs nobody cares what your record was in November/December, and come next season, nobody cares what your record was in the regular season if you got to the playoffs and did nothing. In a couple of seasons, if the Knicks continue to make the playoffs and cement themselves as a team that is "in the hunt" then you'll be in the same boat. Maybe.

Canucks have had back to back 50+ win seasons, made a big song and dance about it, ultimately won nothing. Went through a few years of hearing how awesome San Jose was with all the regular season wins they were notching up, anyone care? this is why nobody cares about your hot start to the season, and nobody cares about your record after changing coaches and getting blitzed first round.

This is a lot of nonsense and sounds like sour grapes.

I'm not denying the Knicks embarrassing ineptitude from 2001 up until the day Dantoni resigned at all. They were a joke of a franchise and were deserving of what they became.

The Heat, however, were a joke of a franchise who went from a reputation of being a garbage expansion team to being playoff home court chokers.

In fact, it took PJ Brown going street on the Knicks for the Heat to even get past the 2nd round.

Please stop comparing the Heat to the Lakers in terms of reputation and expectations. The Heat sustanined nothing after winning the title in 2006. Before getting Lebron, they had four straight years of either not making the playoffs or getting spanked in the 1st round.

Man, the Heat sure are NBA royalty with 18 of their 23 pre-Lebron seasons ending in either the 1st round or not making the playoffs at all.

But the Miami Heat wrote the book on playoff choking. But I'm going to guess you werent much of an NBA fan during all those 1st round chokes.

GWOW is offline  
Old
12-07-2012, 12:48 PM
  #502
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 15,405
vCash: 500
Sorry, but it just pisses me off when other fans try to tell the fans of another team how to feel.

Gotta love the chain of events:

Summer '12: "The Knicks were a fluke under Woodson. They are too old. They let Lin go."
Preseason '12: "The Knicks are too old"
After opening night: "The Knicks were lucky tonight. Fluke win."
After five games: "The Knicks aren't elite. Who have they beaten?"
After 10 games: "It's only November. The Knicks have been lucky. They're old"
After 15 games: "The Knicks have weaknesses. Brooklyn is a better team"
After 18 games: "The Knicks havent won a title. The regular season means nothing"

GWOW is offline  
Old
12-07-2012, 01:42 PM
  #503
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015
 
GordonGecko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 3,929
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Heat once again don't show up and lose to another mediocre team.

GordonGecko is offline  
Old
12-07-2012, 03:43 PM
  #504
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
Sorry, but it just pisses me off when other fans try to tell the fans of another team how to feel.

Gotta love the chain of events:

Summer '12: "The Knicks were a fluke under Woodson. They are too old. They let Lin go."
Preseason '12: "The Knicks are too old"
After opening night: "The Knicks were lucky tonight. Fluke win."
After five games: "The Knicks aren't elite. Who have they beaten?"
After 10 games: "It's only November. The Knicks have been lucky. They're old"
After 15 games: "The Knicks have weaknesses. Brooklyn is a better team"
After 18 games: "The Knicks havent won a title. The regular season means nothing"
There is no hiding to be done on the fact that the Knicks are irrationally hated. They are like Leafs fans on HFBoards who get constantly scrutinized since they have a die hard fanbase that is deprived of a competitive team.

And lol @ Heat being the model franchise what a joke.


Last edited by Kershaw: 12-07-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Kershaw is offline  
Old
12-07-2012, 03:48 PM
  #505
Avs_19
Peter the Great
 
Avs_19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
When's the parade? They must have scheduled it after that big win last night. It would be crazy not to.

Avs_19 is offline  
Old
12-07-2012, 04:39 PM
  #506
Clowe Me
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 530
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 20,221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
There is no hiding to be done on the fact that the Knicks are irrationally hated. They are like Leafs fans on HFBoards who get constantly scrutinized since they have a die hard fanbase that is deprived of a competitive team.
The less attention Knicks fans bring upon themselves, the better.

Fans know the Knicks are a top-4 team in the East, but they aren't defending a championship, so people aren't ready to crown them yet and they don't want to hear every night how great they're playing in early December.

Clowe Me is offline  
Old
12-07-2012, 05:25 PM
  #507
Morozov
The Devil Killer
 
Morozov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 11,434
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
This is a lot of nonsense and sounds like sour grapes.

I'm not denying the Knicks embarrassing ineptitude from 2001 up until the day Dantoni resigned at all. They were a joke of a franchise and were deserving of what they became.

The Heat, however, were a joke of a franchise who went from a reputation of being a garbage expansion team to being playoff home court chokers.

In fact, it took PJ Brown going street on the Knicks for the Heat to even get past the 2nd round.

Please stop comparing the Heat to the Lakers in terms of reputation and expectations. The Heat sustanined nothing after winning the title in 2006. Before getting Lebron, they had four straight years of either not making the playoffs or getting spanked in the 1st round.

Man, the Heat sure are NBA royalty with 18 of their 23 pre-Lebron seasons ending in either the 1st round or not making the playoffs at all.

But the Miami Heat wrote the book on playoff choking. But I'm going to guess you werent much of an NBA fan during all those 1st round chokes.
Sour grapes over what lol? Having a start to the season that is matched by multiple other teams? This is exactly my point.

Not even bothering with the rest of it when you begin with that, it's obvious what the rest will be.

Morozov is online now  
Old
12-07-2012, 05:31 PM
  #508
Morozov
The Devil Killer
 
Morozov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 11,434
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
The less attention Knicks fans bring upon themselves, the better.

Fans know the Knicks are a top-4 team in the East, but they aren't defending a championship, so people aren't ready to crown them yet and they don't want to hear every night how great they're playing in early December.
Pretty much.

It's like if the Leafs started 14 and 4 you know they would be going on about it everywhere, Leafs are the best in the league, Kessel for Hart blah blah blah, if the Wings started 15 and 4 the Wings fans would be thinking OK this is nice and all but not really anything to make a big deal of.

Morozov is online now  
Old
12-07-2012, 06:48 PM
  #509
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH
 
Vamos Rafa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Clay Court
Country: Spain
Posts: 11,190
vCash: 500
Will be interesting to see when Jays fans start boasting next season about a good start and Yankee fans (the same Knicks fans) complaining about it.

Vamos Rafa is offline  
Old
12-07-2012, 07:12 PM
  #510
Morozov
The Devil Killer
 
Morozov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 11,434
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
If any of the Knicks fans would like to throw down an avatar bet on who is going to come out of the East though then let's do it now while you guys are all so confident

Let's make it an avatar and the little comment under your name bet for extra value.


Last edited by Morozov: 12-07-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Morozov is online now  
Old
12-07-2012, 07:48 PM
  #511
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 15,405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
The less attention Knicks fans bring upon themselves, the better.

Fans know the Knicks are a top-4 team in the East, but they aren't defending a championship, so people aren't ready to crown them yet and they don't want to hear every night how great they're playing in early December.
Fans have nothing to do with it. The Knicks winning creates the attention. As fans, what are we supposed to do? Be angry about them winnning?

You just cant stand the sight of enthusiasm from a fanbase other than you're own.

I look at it this way -- if the Knicks winning pisses you or anybody else off, then dont associate or surround yourself with Knicks fans. Since this is a public forum, I really don't have any advice other than pray the Knicks are really a fluke.

GWOW is offline  
Old
12-07-2012, 07:59 PM
  #512
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 15,405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
Sour grapes over what lol? Having a start to the season that is matched by multiple other teams? This is exactly my point.

Not even bothering with the rest of it when you begin with that, it's obvious what the rest will be.

I can't think of any other reason why you would bash the undermanned Knicks immediately after they humiliated the Heat for the second time in about a month.

GWOW is offline  
Old
12-07-2012, 08:02 PM
  #513
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 15,405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
If any of the Knicks fans would like to throw down an avatar bet on who is going to come out of the East though then let's do it now while you guys are all so confident

Let's make it an avatar and the little comment under your name bet for extra value.

Sorry but "throwing down" and "avatar bet" don't belong in the same sentence.

Let's just enjoy the season, OK?

GWOW is offline  
Old
12-07-2012, 08:05 PM
  #514
Morozov
The Devil Killer
 
Morozov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 11,434
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
I can't think of any other reason why you would bash the undermanned Knicks immediately after they humiliated the Heat for the second time in about a month.
and that's the problem, you think it's people out to get the Knicks and bash the Knicks, when really it's just that people don't care about your record in November/December. In fact even at the start of the year I made no attempt to "bash" the Knicks what was said all along though was that you don't earn the status of being amongst the elite of the league until you do something that warrants that status which the Knicks are yet to do.

There's several teams with records as good as the Knicks at the moment, nobody cares about those teams records at the moment either, just like nobody cares about the Knicks record except the Knicks fans who want to demand they be respected and blah blah blah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
You just cant stand the sight of enthusiasm from a fanbase other than you're own
This sort of crap is hilarious and is why much of the Knicks fan base is not taken seriously. I feel bad for the reasonable Knicks fans who are enjoying the team having some success but holding their tongue until the real games start.

Morozov is online now  
Old
12-07-2012, 08:06 PM
  #515
Morozov
The Devil Killer
 
Morozov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 11,434
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
Sorry but "throwing down" and "avatar bet" don't belong in the same sentence.

Let's just enjoy the season, OK?
Why not? because you want to be an argumentative prat?

Put your avatar where your mouth is or quit the yapping.

Morozov is online now  
Old
12-07-2012, 08:22 PM
  #516
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 15,405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
Why not? because you want to be an argumentative prat?

Put your avatar where your mouth is or quit the yapping.
What's a prat?

And sorry I don't bet "avatars". Do they have a sports book in Vegas where you bet in avatars?

Must be fun living on the edge.

GWOW is offline  
Old
12-07-2012, 08:33 PM
  #517
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 15,405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
and that's the problem, you think it's people out to get the Knicks and bash the Knicks, when really it's just that people don't care about your record in November/December. In fact even at the start of the year I made no attempt to "bash" the Knicks what was said all along though was that you don't earn the status of being amongst the elite of the league until you do something that warrants that status which the Knicks are yet to do.

There's several teams with records as good as the Knicks at the moment, nobody cares about those teams records at the moment either, just like nobody cares about the Knicks record except the Knicks fans who want to demand they be respected and blah blah blah.

Sure. Nobody cares......except every national sports talk show on radio and TV that talked about (actually lead their sportscast with..) the Knicks being "for real" after crushing Miami for the second time on national TV in front of their own fans (well, half their fans by the sound of the cheering)

Only Knicks fans??????

Quote:
“They kicked our a–. They have pretty much dominated us in two games.”...We’ve got work to do,” James said. “We can’t act like, OK, let’s just sweep this under the rug. We’ve got a lot of work to do. New York is a real team, they’ve got some real good players, and we understand that.”
http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/heatz...ize-a-problem/

Quote:
This sort of crap is hilarious and is why much of the Knicks fan base is not taken seriously. I feel bad for the reasonable Knicks fans who are enjoying the team having some success but holding their tongue until the real games start.
As a Knicks fan, I could care less what other fans think. I'm just going to enjoy the ride. So far so good.

GWOW is offline  
Old
12-07-2012, 08:34 PM
  #518
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
The less attention Knicks fans bring upon themselves, the better.

Fans know the Knicks are a top-4 team in the East, but they aren't defending a championship, so people aren't ready to crown them yet and they don't want to hear every night how great they're playing in early December.
Not even close. I was mocked when I mentioned the Knicks were legit earlier this year.

Kershaw is offline  
Old
12-07-2012, 08:59 PM
  #519
awfulwaffle
Registered User
 
awfulwaffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 6,872
vCash: 500
Heat fans have no room to talk, period. They can't even fill the building when they are in the finals. They are like dodger fans and show up 30 minutes late. Get the **** out.

awfulwaffle is offline  
Old
12-07-2012, 09:03 PM
  #520
Morozov
The Devil Killer
 
Morozov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 11,434
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
What's a prat?

And sorry I don't bet "avatars". Do they have a sports book in Vegas where you bet in avatars?

Must be fun living on the edge.
I bet on the NBA everyday with real money, I have multiple bets on right now. But placing a bet with somebody with money over HF seems pretty stupid, you going to chase people up all over the world? what a dunce.

Morozov is online now  
Old
12-07-2012, 09:04 PM
  #521
Morozov
The Devil Killer
 
Morozov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 11,434
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
Sure. Nobody cares......except every national sports talk show on radio and TV that talked about (actually lead their sportscast with..) the Knicks being "for real" after crushing Miami for the second time on national TV in front of their own fans (well, half their fans by the sound of the cheering)

Only Knicks fans??????



http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/heatz...ize-a-problem/


As a Knicks fan, I could care less what other fans think. I'm just going to enjoy the ride. So far so good.
Sensationalism in the media, and sports media at that! never thought I'd see the day.

What do you expect LeBron to say lol? are you new to sports or something?


Last edited by Morozov: 12-07-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Morozov is online now  
Old
12-07-2012, 09:21 PM
  #522
awfulwaffle
Registered User
 
awfulwaffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 6,872
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
Sensationalism in the media, and sports media at that! never thought I'd see the day.

What do you expect LeBron to say lol? are you new to sports or something?
Man I remember when Lebron was in Cleveland and the Heat were irrelevent. How's it going to feel like after Wade and Lebron are gone and your team is **** again?

awfulwaffle is offline  
Old
12-07-2012, 09:32 PM
  #523
Muh
Beadle
 
Muh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sloatsburg, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,299
vCash: 500
Can we all come together and hate the Nets, like we do the Jets on the NFL board?

Will give us all something to agree on.

Either way, I am enjoying this back and fourth Knick talk.

Muh is offline  
Old
12-07-2012, 09:33 PM
  #524
Clowe Me
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 530
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 20,221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
Fans have nothing to do with it. The Knicks winning creates the attention. As fans, what are we supposed to do? Be angry about them winnning?
No. Enjoy your success, that's fine, but when you come here during or after each Knicks victory and sing their praises, expect to be mocked.

It would be like me going into a Sharks/Wings gdt and bragging about the Sharks winning and being better than Detroit. I would get mocked.

Quote:
You just cant stand the sight of enthusiasm from a fanbase other than you're own.
Jump to conclusions much?

As unfortunate as it is, talk is cheap until they prove it in the playoffs.

Quote:
I look at it this way -- if the Knicks winning pisses you or anybody else off, then dont associate or surround yourself with Knicks fans. Since this is a public forum, I really don't have any advice other than pray the Knicks are really a fluke.
Why do you think I care about the Knicks? The team I like plays in the west and is about as far away from NYC as it gets.

I was simply trying to rationally explain why Knicks fans are getting treated the way they are lately, but you seem to want to make it more than what it is.

Clowe Me is offline  
Old
12-07-2012, 09:41 PM
  #525
Morozov
The Devil Killer
 
Morozov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 11,434
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
Man I remember when Lebron was in Cleveland and the Heat were irrelevent. How's it going to feel like after Wade and Lebron are gone and your team is **** again?
As I said a page ago, the elite of the league certainly changes over time. There was a time when the Pats were nobodies in the NFL, now you'd be stupid to make such a suggestion. No doubt in time the Brady/Belichick combination will be gone and things will have to change for Pats fans. Not exactly sure why you think this point brings anything to the table?

There was a time when the Grizzlies franchise was amongst the laughing stock of the league, at the moment they have the best record in the NBA. But nobody is shouting GRIZZLIES BEST IN DA WEST anywhere because the Grizzlies have gone to the playoffs a couple of times and been knocked off, they know what's going on now is irrelevant.

Morozov is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:15 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.