HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Game times to kill Canadian WJC buzz? (TSN's broadcast schedule)

Old
12-07-2012, 01:13 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM17 View Post
A) Do you seriously believe TSN paid as much for these 4am timeslots as they did for prime-time timeslots?
Allow me to suggest you stop talking about this.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 01:17 PM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
Allow me to suggest you stop talking about this.
Allow me to suggest you read on then.

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 01:21 PM
topched

Quote:
Ah well done. The cost of business I guess. Stand corrected.

International growth increases revenue. If they really cared about growing the international game for reasons beyond making money they'd host the tournament in budding hockey nations like Latvia, Switzerland, Germany, or even Czech+Slovakia (ie some other country that doesn't get it often)? They certainly don't host it in the USA, Canada 9/10 years because it helps the international game
They host it in NA every other year so they can offset the costs of having it in a smaller market where the tournament is less popular.

They are still in the process of growing the tournament in Russia/Sweden/Finland/Czech etc. Once they have gained close to maxmium traction there I'm sure we will see a country like Latvia or Swizterland host. One of the main issues with that is that it is hard to plan where the tournament will be hosted a few years in advance without there being a guarantee the host country like Swiss or Germany won't be relgated.

In 2010 the tournament was supposed to be in Switzerland, but they withdrew because of fear their team wouldn't be in the tournament (hence the back to back Canadian hosts). The Czech's have also hosted the tourney twice in the last 10 years, Pardubice in 02 and 08.

topched is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 01:30 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Allow me to suggest you read on then.
It is still sage advice. When unsure about a topic it is best to not make grand statements assuming that if you don't know then clearly nobody does. Now if you have discussed TSN's ad revenues and the schedule you would have been on to something, but TSN goes into these things knowing that it won't be perfect annually.

Old
12-07-2012, 02:20 PM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Quote:
It is still sage advice. When unsure about a topic it is best to not make grand statements assuming that if you don't know then clearly nobody does. Now if you have discussed TSN's ad revenues and the schedule you would have been on to something, but TSN goes into these things knowing that it won't be perfect annually.
I mentioned ad revenue and tournament exposure.

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 05:18 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
How do they fit hand in glove? Essentially you're suggesting that they move Canada's game into the later time slot to accomodate viewers in the NA timezone.

What you forget is that SVK and GER would lose the in arena attendance that they would receive for the later game in Russia.... which those kids deserve, as this will likely be one of their only games with the potential for a full house (aside from playing the host team). And you also are stripping Slovakians and Germans who may be interested in this tournament from viewing that game at a reasonable time in their respective countries.

You have to organize the tournament fairly. Each team needs to be given afternoon and night games in Russia. As with previous tournaments only the host team should be given preferential treatment with regards to time slots and television viewership.

This tournament is as popular as its ever going to get in Canada. The room for growth is among other countries... long term that is where the potential for growth in profits is going to come from.
What would the times be for the games in Germany/Slovakia, and would it really be as big a difference as it makes for North American viewers?

From a scheduling standpoint, if each team needs to be given afternoon and evening games then the way it is now Canada is at the bottom of the barrel with a single evening game (against Russia). Slovakia is one up on them with two games, so switching this game around would have them swap places. So there really isn't an ideal way to do it, but I still can't help but feel that this isn't coincidental.

As for the disparity in the host country, personally I've always thought it was fine as is. Rather than looking at it as being hosted in Canada/US every other year as opposed to Russia/Czech/Sweden/Finland/etc, consider it from the perspective of alternating between North America and Europe. Time zone-wise this is a fairly even split. If Russia was interested in hosting the event in different regions across the country I'd say make it a 3 way split between Europe, North America, and Russia, but as far as I know these things are usually held in Western Russia so are a part of the Eastern European region.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 05:25 PM
bottomofthefoodchain

Sooooo... 5 hours ahead of Sweden right?

bottomofthefoodchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 05:46 PM
Qrispy

Hockey Canada does a lot for other teams when the tournament is held in Canada, so it's not just for personal benefit. Someone can correct me on this but I think Bob Nicholson once said that HC pays for all teams' travel and accommodations when the WJC is hosted here.

That being said, I'm still going to stay up and watch this. WJC is some of the best hockey of the year.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 06:37 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuBOT View Post
Hockey Canada does a lot for other teams when the tournament is held in Canada, so it's not just for personal benefit. Someone can correct me on this but I think Bob Nicholson once said that HC pays for all teams' travel and accommodations when the WJC is hosted here.

That being said, I'm still going to stay up and watch this. WJC is some of the best hockey of the year.
I believe that is exactly what he said.

WJC in Canada is a financial windfall for the IIHF and this tourney.

Old
12-07-2012, 06:40 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 216
It kinda sucks having this tournament in Europe.
Having the games on at 4-5 am here.

But for as much as I love when Canada hosts it, they simply can't every year.

Only fair

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 04:00 PM
kes81sel
Go MacT

Im gonna be hardcore and watch every game at the real time

kes81sel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 10:12 PM
octopi

I'll get up early for hockey. Wednesday looks good. Not going to bother with Canada/Germany in the somewhat meaningless and predictable game at 1 Am, but will probably watch the better timed and more competitive Russia/Slovakia game 5 hours later.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 08:17 PM
Drij

Lockout or not, I'm not watching this at those times. I don't care enough about it.

Drij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 08:27 PM
Drij

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure View Post
1. No one goes to school during Christmas break.

2. It's in NA almost every year lately , spread the love around.
why? When was the last time we have the WHC?

Drij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 08:29 PM
BobDobolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drij View Post
2008 which was the first and only time you made a bid for it.

BobDobolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 08:29 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drij View Post
1) Three years ago
2) The WHC runs at the same time as the stanley cup playoffs and WHC is planned two to three years a head of time. So how can you have it in cities that are in the playoffs or hoping to be in the playoffs?

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 08:37 PM
Dasachtach
Bluenoser

I don't know why non-Canadians and guilt-ridden Canadians are so up-in-arms over some of the comments here. There is far more money to be made for a tournament like this both short term and long term. There is, perhaps, money to be made in Europe in the long term (via promoting the tournament) but there is far less in the short term. Don't Europeans on here often say how unimportant and unpopular this tournament is in Europe, anyways? It's sacrosanct in Canada. I don't really mind this tournament being in Ufa but be realistic people.

Dasachtach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 08:45 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
1) Three years ago
2) The WHC runs at the same time as the stanley cup playoffs and WHC is planned two to three years a head of time. So how can you have it in cities that are in the playoffs or hoping to be in the playoffs?
There are other cities in Canada. (resisted urge to suggest holding it in AB)

Old
12-12-2012, 09:45 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Yikes at the times. Guess i'll only catch the Russia and the gold medal games.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 10:10 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
What the **** is right... Raves still exist? Is this the 98 tournament in Helsinki?
Hehehe. Nice.

Garyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 10:22 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Don't know about the rest of you but this isn't really all that difficult a switch for me.

Up at 8am every morning usually, and in bed before midnight.

Will be adjusting my sleep schedule the week before to get myself adjusted. Will be going to bed around 830/9 and waking up for 4. Never have any committments after 9 at night and before 8am for the most part.

I love this tournament, its my favorite part of the holiday season. This isn't a difficult adjustment.

Boy oh boy am I jealous of your ability to fall asleep around 830-9.

Garyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 10:40 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post
Boy oh boy am I jealous of your ability to fall asleep around 830-9.
Haha its no skill... its all "conditioning"

30 mins-1hour earlier every night... eventually you're actually tired by 9.

topched is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2012, 11:51 PM
Canada4Gold

Quote:
Haha its no skill... its all "conditioning"

30 mins-1hour earlier every night... eventually you're actually tired by 9.
The skill is jumping into that sleep schedule in 1 day. This is possible because it starts boxing day. I normally go to sleep late, probably will go to sleep late christmas eve night. My family always gets up early on christmas though, and they will wake me up and kick me out of bed. So little sleep then, plus the turkey making me sleepier, should be alseep by 5 or 6 christmas afternoon, and ready to wake up early Boxing day

Canada4Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 11:13 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 135
Quote:
There are other cities in Canada. (resisted urge to suggest holding it in AB)
but could those NON nhl cities draw as much as the european cities. Wth reports the Quebec city might be getting a new arena, a team is not far behind. You need proper arenas for the games and most cities in canada that could hold the games have nhl teams, only hamilton does not. Despite what many people think, both the world JR and World Championships are popular in the places where they are held and fans flock to them

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 04:24 PM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

Will DVR the games and watch them as soon as I get up to avoid spoilers. No big deal.

Getting up in the middle of the night to watch games sounds fun anyway.

PensBandwagonerNo272 is offline   Reply With Quote