HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Reborn: Final Fantasy 14 2.0 (Beta Phase 3, No NDA! Server:Gungnir for beta)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-21-2012, 11:46 AM
  #151
Turrican*
Not a homer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Stabmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,960
vCash: 500
As far as I know, now we wait until 2nd quarter for relaunch.

Turrican* is offline  
Old
11-21-2012, 06:33 PM
  #152
Rpro
Registered User
 
Rpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,444
vCash: 500
I'll try it out again since there's another 30 days free for 2.0 but I'm not expecting much. I was just looking at my collectors edition box a few days ago with a thick layer of dust on it lol.

Rpro is offline  
Old
12-07-2012, 03:17 PM
  #153
Cashville
RIP Lindback
 
Cashville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 2,953
vCash: 1225
Time for a bump! After servers went down and FFXIV 1.0 ended, SE immediately released the video below basically as an epilogue to 1.0. I keep a pretty even-keel about most things, but this video is unbelievable, highly recommend watching it.



While most critics willingly admit SE's CG work is probably the best in the industry (as this video shows imo), the issue for the past few months has been a lack of gameplay demo / footage. Several videos have been released over the last several months, including this one below which gives a glimpse into the quest system and battle visuals:



Lastly, I got into the Alpha recently and it is pretty unbelievable. Feels like a 100% new game; no UI lag, unbelievable graphic detail, great animations, better battle mechanics all around, etc. Still an Alpha so content is limited obviously.

Thought I would give a bump and see if I could intrigue anyone else. Even if you don't want to play the game, I highly recommend the first video as it's pretty awesome.

Cashville is offline  
Old
12-07-2012, 04:25 PM
  #154
BreakTheWallsDown
HFBoards Prospect
 
BreakTheWallsDown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kennesaw, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,317
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BreakTheWallsDown Send a message via MSN to BreakTheWallsDown
I got into the alpha a couple weeks ago and I am really enjoying it also. You're right. It does feel like a completely new game. I am anxiously awaiting when they open up more of the classes/areas to play in. I wanna check them all out now.

BreakTheWallsDown is offline  
Old
12-07-2012, 05:16 PM
  #155
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 70,606
vCash: 500
Looks promising.

__________________
Leaf Rocket is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 10:50 AM
  #156
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis
 
Orpheus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,637
vCash: 500
I'm finally in Alpha as well. So expect this to be updated when I have time to

Orpheus is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 11:20 AM
  #157
JuanZomby
It's Over 9000!!!
 
JuanZomby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Brighton, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 121
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post
I'm finally in Alpha as well. So expect this to be updated when I have time to
When did ya get your invite Orpheus?

JuanZomby is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 11:25 AM
  #158
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis
 
Orpheus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanZomby View Post
When did ya get your invite Orpheus?
This morning..lol. Not a big deal since I had other stuff to do/other games to play, but it was still a long wait. Oh well.

Edit: First page, first post updated


Last edited by Orpheus: 12-10-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Orpheus is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 01:28 PM
  #159
ColonialsHockey10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,419
vCash: 500
Few questions that I think you're allowed to answer:

The alpha is only open to people who played the original at this point in time correct? I cannot play, but my friend expressed interest.

I watched the video of Gridania and it would be impressive, if it was a village. 12 buildings for one of the 3 major cities is pretty damn underwhelming. Is there more to it? Hard to believe they downgraded significantly from Windhurst, which is about 4x that size.

I remember awhile ago someone mentioned that each area is divided into 4 sectors for climate (winter forest, fall, etc.). Are you only granted access to one of those sections currently? Hopefully there is more infrastructure in the other areas, and a lot of it.

Otherwise it looks good, and I'm jealous of those of you who get to play.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 01:44 PM
  #160
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis
 
Orpheus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Few questions that I think you're allowed to answer:

The alpha is only open to people who played the original at this point in time correct? I cannot play, but my friend expressed interest.

I watched the video of Gridania and it would be impressive, if it was a village. 12 buildings for one of the 3 major cities is pretty damn underwhelming. Is there more to it? Hard to believe they downgraded significantly from Windhurst, which is about 4x that size.

I remember awhile ago someone mentioned that each area is divided into 4 sectors for climate (winter forest, fall, etc.). Are you only granted access to one of those sections currently? Hopefully there is more infrastructure in the other areas, and a lot of it.

Otherwise it looks good, and I'm jealous of those of you who get to play.
1) Alpha is open to the original 14 players yes, but they will add non-14 players (as well as Ps3 users) in the future for sure
2) Gridania is a foresty town, whereas Windy was very open and sprawling because of the waterways. Gridania is two-three zones big (compareable to Bastok, Windy or Sandy), and was massive zone in 1.0
3) Early alpha is not the whole game, that's about all that can be said

Edit: I really wish I could take pictures and video, the game is friggin gorgeous and all I could want in a successor to FFXI.

Orpheus is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 02:36 PM
  #161
Cashville
RIP Lindback
 
Cashville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 2,953
vCash: 1225
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Few questions that I think you're allowed to answer:

The alpha is only open to people who played the original at this point in time correct? I cannot play, but my friend expressed interest.

I watched the video of Gridania and it would be impressive, if it was a village. 12 buildings for one of the 3 major cities is pretty damn underwhelming. Is there more to it? Hard to believe they downgraded significantly from Windhurst, which is about 4x that size.

I remember awhile ago someone mentioned that each area is divided into 4 sectors for climate (winter forest, fall, etc.). Are you only granted access to one of those sections currently? Hopefully there is more infrastructure in the other areas, and a lot of it.

Otherwise it looks good, and I'm jealous of those of you who get to play.
Grid is much bigger than you think; what you're seeing in most videos is just New Gridania. Old Gridania is like 2-3x as large with a bunch of other buildings (guilds, crafting shops, market area, etc.); the two areas are still one "city" but there's just a zone line in between. They have released map images of Grid so I don't think I'm breaking any portion of the NDA here. I think the Old and New portions of Grid, in aggregate, are close to the size of Windurst in XI, perhaps a bit less unnecessary running around.

Can't wait for the Beta; given the level of polish in the Alpha, I wouldn't be surprised to see a mid-January beta.

Cashville is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 02:41 PM
  #162
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis
 
Orpheus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post
Grid is much bigger than you think; what you're seeing in most videos is just New Gridania. Old Gridania is like 2-3x as large with a bunch of other buildings (guilds, crafting shops, market area, etc.); the two areas are still one "city" but there's just a zone line in between. They have released map images of Grid so I don't think I'm breaking any portion of the NDA here. I think the Old and New portions of Grid, in aggregate, are close to the size of Windurst in XI, perhaps a bit less unnecessary running around.

Can't wait for the Beta; given the level of polish in the Alpha, I wouldn't be surprised to see a mid-January beta.
I agree with the Windy but less unnecessary running comment. It's Windy without the running 5 miles between buildings.

Orpheus is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 03:26 PM
  #163
Turrican*
Not a homer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Stabmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,960
vCash: 500
OOoooo wee this bodes well!

Turrican* is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 03:38 PM
  #164
ColonialsHockey10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,419
vCash: 500
Thanks for the answers everyone. Gridania always seemed to be the least "city-like" of the 3 starting ones anyway.

Now I just need to learn where that concept art with the palm trees is.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 03:43 PM
  #165
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis
 
Orpheus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Thanks for the answers everyone. Gridania always seemed to be the least "city-like" of the 3 starting ones anyway.

Now I just need to learn where that concept art with the palm trees is.
Probably Limsa, the redone Limsa is supposed to be more beachy (random made up words!)

Orpheus is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 03:46 PM
  #166
ColonialsHockey10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,419
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post
Probably Limsa, the redone Limsa is supposed to be more beachy (random made up words!)
Looks more like a different part of the black shroud. Obviously you guys would have a better guess then I would though.

(Third row down, furthest picture to the right)

http://zantetsuken.net/news/ffxiv-up...me-screenshots

ColonialsHockey10 is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 04:02 PM
  #167
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis
 
Orpheus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Looks more like a different part of the black shroud. Obviously you guys would have a better guess then I would though.

(Third row down, furthest picture to the right)

http://zantetsuken.net/news/ffxiv-up...me-screenshots
That art style actually resembles Ixali architecture, so it might be them. Will let you know if I see it!

Orpheus is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 07:49 PM
  #168
Lecavilier_4
Registered User
 
Lecavilier_4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,519
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Lecavilier_4
Anyone know any fansites for FF14 that will be releasing alpha leaks?

Lecavilier_4 is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 08:40 PM
  #169
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis
 
Orpheus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecavilier_4 View Post
Anyone know any fansites for FF14 that will be releasing alpha leaks?
Honestly just follow the main site at http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/

Everything is pretty much there

Orpheus is offline  
Old
12-10-2012, 09:03 PM
  #170
ColonialsHockey10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,419
vCash: 500
Ok just looked at some leaks.

Much more variation and infrastructure in the environment then I had seen in the videos posted by SE. Looks very impressive. Good to see their advertising team still has no clue how to do their jobs.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 06:58 AM
  #171
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,779
vCash: 500
Massively excited for the relaunch. Gave it several tries during the first incarnation (had actually built a computer just FOR this game) but was never able to stick with it. I definitely saw improvement each and every time I came back for another taste but it just never had that missing ingredient. I just have a hunch that it will this time, however. Every change they made to the previous version was definitely a stepin the right direction and the potential was always evident. It just missed the mark the first time. I loved FFXI (only MMO that ever held my attention for more than, maybe, two months and has done so, on and off, for a decade, after keeping me for about six solid years from its initial release) and I'm desperately hoping that this time around, it will be the game to recapture that same magic and deliver a similar experience. I'd likely be enjoying alpha with some of you right now but, unfortunately, I sold the gaming CPU I'd built for XIV shortly after giving up on it for good. I'll be waiting on the PS3 release. Can't wait.

Couple of quick questions though. I believe I know the answer to the first but, when I finally do get my hands on V2.0 it's going to be, essentially, an all new game, right? No repeating the same intros and tutorials from the original release? Different NPCs, quests and questing structure entirely? Also, I know alpha isn't the best judge but does the social aspect seem improved? Are parties more regular and enjoyable? XIV sorely lacked the community that XI had. Obviously that was largely due to poor subscription numbers, but I never felt that it was built into the game's design very well and that it had been one of the numerous things that led to its poor reception in the first place? Does it feel better at this stage? Finally is combat significantly altered? I wasn't in love with the combat system (I much prefer XI's plain, old, 'boring' menu based combat) but I could have gotten used to it if the rest of the game warranted it. I also felt that the more 'active' combat style while, allegedly making the game more exciting and fast paced, was a hinderence to the social aspect because it was difficult to chat and fight at the same time, thus defeating a lot of the purpose of the MMO, in my opinion. In FFXI, I forged most of my friendships while partying or questing, and simultaneously chatting, with players I'd just met. Hope the game is improved on that front as well.


Last edited by SERE 24: 12-11-2012 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Correcting my phone's auto correct
SERE 24 is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 08:37 AM
  #172
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis
 
Orpheus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
Massively excited for the relaunch. Gave it several tries during the first incarnation (had actually built a computer just FOR this game) but was never able to stick with it. I definitely saw improvement each and every time I came back for another taste but it just never had that missing ingredient. I just have a hunch that it will this time, however. Every change they made to the previous version was definitely a stepin the right direction and the potential was always evident. It just missed the mark the first time. I loved FFXI (only MMO that ever held my attention for more than, maybe, two months and has done so, on and off, for a decade, after keeping me for about six solid years from its initial release) and I'm desperately hoping that this time around, it will be the game to recapture that same magic and deliver a similar experience. I'd likely be enjoying alpha with some of you right now but, unfortunately, I sold the gaming CPU I'd built for XIV shortly after giving up on it for good. I'll be waiting on the PS3 release. Can't wait.
In my opinion, 2.0 is shaping up to be a combination of all the best MMOs, but sticking to it's XI roots in terms of character building and story line.

Now, as for your questions (Some answers may be carefully worded because of NDA):
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
Couple of quick questions though. I believe I know the answer to the first but, when I finally do get my hands on V2.0 it's going to be, essentially, an all new game, right?
It IS a whole new game, but you can retain the character you used to have as well as the things you have leveled if you wish. It's also completely free to 1.0 players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
No repeating the same intros and tutorials from the original release?
All the old content is gone and the world is completely different, so the old introduction storyline and tutorials are no longer relevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
Different NPCs, quests and questing structure entirely?
The game takes place years after the events of 1.0, so there are many new faces. Quests are similar to WoW if you have not watched the video on page 1 Leves will still be around according to developer interviews, and they want to give you the choice to do whatever content you wish to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
Also, I know alpha isn't the best judge but does the social aspect seem improved?
The game always encouraged having an active linkshell in 1.0, and linkshells will still be around in 2.0, but they are also adding a content finder similar to WoW and a free company system (kind of like a WoW guild, except you can get summons for your free company, create guild halls, and more)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
Are parties more regular and enjoyable?
Parties were very regular and enjoyable at the end of 1.0 if you had people to do content with (and everyone that reads this is more than welcome to join my linkshell/free company when 2.0 launches) and as I said in the previous answer, they will be adding a content finder to find things to do quickly if you don't want to sit around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
XIV sorely lacked the community that XI had. Obviously that was largely due to poor subscription numbers, but I never felt that it was built into the game's design very well and that it had been one of the numerous things that led to its poor reception in the first place?
I think the original XIV had plenty of community, but it wasn't in the form of massive linkshells or similar to WoW guilds with hundreds of people in them, it was closer to groups of 8-20 people that did content together. They plan to add more community elements through doing things together with your free company, PVPing for your nation, raiding, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
Does it feel better at this stage?
Much. Whole new completely different amazing game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
Finally is combat significantly altered? I wasn't in love with the combat system (I much prefer XI's plain, old, 'boring' menu based combat) but I could have gotten used to it if the rest of the game warranted it. I also felt that the more 'active' combat style while, allegedly making the game more exciting and fast paced, was a hinderence to the social aspect because it was difficult to chat and fight at the same time, thus defeating a lot of the purpose of the MMO, in my opinion.
Combat is completely different. 1.0 had a lot of "lag" inbetween selecting an action and actually doing said action, and the plan is for that to be completely gone by the time 2.0 launches. Combat in 14 1.0 was very similar to XI by the time the servers went down (except for the lag) and 2.0 combat is planned to be an even more uptempo version of XI, similar to WoW but not as frantic and you have to make meaningful choices with your TP and MP. While it may not sound like you have time to chat, you do It also depends on which job you want to play, as jobs like Black Mage will be much closer to their FFXI incarnation than say, a WoW mage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
In FFXI, I forged most of my friendships while partying or questing, and simultaneously chatting, with players I'd just met. Hope the game is improved on that front as well.
You should certainly be able to still do all that stuff Plus, if you decide to join us you'll be in a group with my old FFXI friends and some guys from HF!

Hope these answers helped and didn't come off as non-answers, but I really don't want to be kicked out of alpha because the game is so good Whenever the NDA lifts, I promise I'll give you very direct answers..lol.

Orpheus is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 09:17 AM
  #173
Cashville
RIP Lindback
 
Cashville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 2,953
vCash: 1225
It's also worth noting that the new game is actually less GPU intensive than the original game despite having vastly superior graphics and coming out two years later. Just goes to show how unbelievably poor the 1.0 optimization was. You could probably upgrade your existing PC to be XIV ARR ready for pretty cheap.

Cashville is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 09:21 AM
  #174
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis
 
Orpheus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post
It's also worth noting that the new game is actually less GPU intensive than the original game despite having vastly superior graphics and coming out two years later. Just goes to show how unbelievably poor the 1.0 optimization was. You could probably upgrade your existing PC to be XIV ARR ready for pretty cheap.
Yea, I could barely run 1.0 (20-25 fps or even lower in intense battle situations) and I am not having a problem with 2.0.

Orpheus is offline  
Old
12-11-2012, 09:22 AM
  #175
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,779
vCash: 500
No sweat. Even with the NDA that answered 90% of my curiosity (for now). Just as excited as ever and appreciate you taking the time to answer. Wish the PS3 alpha would start... yesterday.

SERE 24 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:40 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.