HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Penguins Prospects Thread

Closed Thread

Old
12-07-2012, 08:37 PM
JTG

vCash: 500
I've often thought about a comparison for Harrington. I have been unable to come up with a real solid one, without pegging him like every single non-flashy defensive defenseman as the next Rob Scuderi.

I think what gets lost, Harrington has a shot and a half. He was firing the puck in the low-90's before he was even drafted.

Old
12-07-2012, 08:56 PM
hctopcheds11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I've often thought about a comparison for Harrington. I have been unable to come up with a real solid one, without pegging him like every single non-flashy defensive defenseman as the next Rob Scuderi.

I think what gets lost, Harrington has a shot and a half. He was firing the puck in the low-90's before he was even drafted.
Yeah I think Harringtons upside is higher than Scuds was. Maybe a less physical/less offensive Hamhuis?

Old
12-07-2012, 09:01 PM
Gallatin
A Banksy of Goonism

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post

I kind of see him as a Niclas Lidstrom without the big offensive game.

From Wikipedia: The secret behind Lidström's consistent play is his ability to read the game; this, combined with his excellent skating ability, allows him to be at the right spot of the ice at the right time. Instead of delivering a big body check, Lidström prefers to steal the puck and create a turnover. His reliance on brains rather than brawn might explain his lack of injuries, and also his low penalty minute totals.

Old
12-07-2012, 09:12 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallatin View Post
I kind of see him as a Niclas Lidstrom without the big offensive game.

From Wikipedia: The secret behind Lidström's consistent play is his ability to read the game; this, combined with his excellent skating ability, allows him to be at the right spot of the ice at the right time. Instead of delivering a big body check, Lidström prefers to steal the puck and create a turnover. His reliance on brains rather than brawn might explain his lack of injuries, and also his low penalty minute totals.
You know, that is a comparison I was going to state also, but it just sounds so ridiculous to speak of a prospect in those regards, but yeah. I can definitely see that.

Hamhuis is probably the best one I've heard though. Maybe Michalek too.

Old
12-07-2012, 09:45 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyg26 View Post
Yeah I think Harringtons upside is higher than Scuds was. Maybe a less physical/less offensive Hamhuis?
I've heard Dan Girardi, but Girardi is one of the strongest guys in the NHL, and Harrington isn't even one of the strongest guys in the OHL.

I think the best comparison for Harrington is Josh Gorges. Average in terms of size skill-set -- but good hockey smarts, an active stick and Rocky Balboa-esque determination make them defensive stalwarts.

Old
12-07-2012, 10:23 PM
Solution

Sneep with the first goal tonight for Wheeling. Zureski (sp?) with the second. The Nailers lost 4-3 in OT.

Old
12-08-2012, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
I've heard Dan Girardi, but Girardi is one of the strongest guys in the NHL, and Harrington isn't even one of the strongest guys in the OHL.

I think the best comparison for Harrington is Josh Gorges. Average in terms of size skill-set -- but good hockey smarts, an active stick and Rocky Balboa-esque determination make them defensive stalwarts.
Thats a good one but Harrington has better poise with the puck. He plays a pretty unique game. He's almost a throw back to older defensemen that would hold the puck, lure someone closer to them in the defensive zone and then move the play up ice. Almost like a Kenny Jonsson.

I used to throw Jonsson's name around as a comparable for Matta but Matta is more of a shooter. He reminds me of a young Gonchar and he's really cleaned up his game this year. IMO he's taken the biggest step up the prospects ladder this year along with Thompson and Augie.

Old
12-08-2012, 12:50 AM
Mr. T

Pouliot had an assist in Portland's 3-2 loss tonight. I think this is only their second loss in 20 or 21 games now. Not bad.

Old
12-08-2012, 12:50 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
Thats a good one but Harrington has better poise with the puck. He plays a pretty unique game. He's almost a throw back to older defensemen that would hold the puck, lure someone closer to them in the defensive zone and then move the play up ice. Almost like a Kenny Jonsson.

I used to throw Jonsson's name around as a comparable for Matta but Matta is more of a shooter. He reminds me of a young Gonchar and he's really cleaned up his game this year. IMO he's taken the biggest step up the prospects ladder this year along with Thompson and Augie.
Maatta is getting better, still has some moments though. He drifted out of his coverage zone last night, realized it, then tried to just cover the high man and he stumbled into him backwards.

It looked as stupid as it sounds.

Old
12-08-2012, 12:52 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. T View Post
Pouliot had an assist in Portland's 3-2 loss tonight. I think this is only their second loss in 20 or 21 games now. Not bad.
Just an assist? ****ing loser. If he scored two goals they would of won.

Should of drafted Dobber.

Old
12-08-2012, 12:56 AM
Jacob

They outshot their opponent 46-13. Pouliot also had a fight. Please Pouly, don't hurt 'em.

Old
12-08-2012, 01:02 AM
Mr. T

Not quite Pouliot-related, but the guy in the center is the mayor of Portland. You may recognize him from that awful IFC show, Portlandia.

Old
12-08-2012, 01:03 AM
Dangles78

Quote:

I saw that tonight too. I think it was just the way he moves out there that reminds me of Gonch. Though I don't think he has the offensive instincts to be another Gonchar. He's got an active stick and is good 1v1, but IMO he can get caught out of position at times.

Old
12-08-2012, 01:19 AM
Sidney the Kidney
Injured Reserve

vCash: 1000
Harrington was his usual stellar self defensively against Niagara tonight, shutting down the CHL's leading scorer Ryan Strome. Strome went pointless, while Harrington's Knights won the game and Harrington chipped in with an assist on the empty netter. Maatta's looking pretty solid as well.

Old
12-08-2012, 09:57 AM
deakka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. T View Post
Watching the higlights he seemed to be in a LOT of the offensive clips. Glad hes creating chances at least.

Old
12-08-2012, 10:18 AM
Sideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Harrington was his usual stellar self defensively against Niagara tonight, shutting down the CHL's leading scorer Ryan Strome. Strome went pointless, while Harrington's Knights won the game and Harrington chipped in with an assist on the empty netter. Maatta's looking pretty solid as well.
Games like the one last night make me question if I'm being too pessimistic projecting Harrington as a #4 at best. He consistently shuts down the best players in junior. He's not just the guy his coach throws out to match up he completely neutralizes guys like Strome and Yakupov on a regular basis.

Old
12-08-2012, 11:01 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
Games like the one last night make me question if I'm being too pessimistic projecting Harrington as a #4 at best. He consistently shuts down the best players in junior. He's not just the guy his coach throws out to match up he completely neutralizes guys like Strome and Yakupov on a regular basis.
If Harrington was two inches and ten lbs heavier, I suspect he would be lauded as a can't miss, top tier blueline prospect.

Like the announcers said last night, he gets the puck and things slow down. He has remarkable poise and endless patience.

Old
12-08-2012, 11:13 AM
penguins2946*

Does Pouliot and Matta have another year of junior eligability? I think the rules are you have to either be under 20 or have played less than 4 seasons there, but I'm not positive on that. If so, it would be great to see Pouliot and Maatta destroy their respective leagues again next year.

Old
12-08-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Maatta is getting better, still has some moments though. He drifted out of his coverage zone last night, realized it, then tried to just cover the high man and he stumbled into him backwards.

It looked as stupid as it sounds.
Just watched it and yeah that was pretty bad. Stuff like that can be weeded out though.

The thing that had me worried about his game last year was that he was really sloppy and forced a lot of plays.Kind of like Jack Johnson when he was younger. I was wondering if he could clean up his game and still produce points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles78
I saw that tonight too. I think it was just the way he moves out there that reminds me of Gonch. Though I don't think he has the offensive instincts to be another Gonchar. He's got an active stick and is good 1v1, but IMO he can get caught out of position at times.
Thats the thing about a young Gonchar. He didn't start out with those instincts either. He always had a good shot and could get it on net but that natural flow for the game took a few years.

Old
12-08-2012, 11:19 AM
Sideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguins2946 View Post
Does Pouliot and Matta have another year of junior eligability? I think the rules are you have to either be under 20 or have played less than 4 seasons there, but I'm not positive on that. If so, it would be great to see Pouliot and Maatta destroy their respective leagues again next year.
It's NHL or Junior for both next season. They aren't eligible for the AHL.

Old
12-08-2012, 11:30 AM
penguins2946*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
It's NHL or Junior for both next season. They aren't eligible for the AHL.
Okay I knew neither would be ready for the NHL next year, and Shero would have no intention of rushing them. It's weird, Morrow was eligible to play in the AHL one year after he was drafted, but the other 2 have to wait 2 year, possibly 3 for Maatta (18 this year, 19 next year, 20 the year after, this is only his 2nd year in the OHL).

Old
12-08-2012, 11:38 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Just watched it and yeah that was pretty bad. Stuff like that can be weeded out though.

The thing that had me worried about his game last year was that he was really sloppy and forced a lot of plays.Kind of like Jack Johnson when he was younger. I was wondering if he could clean up his game and still produce points.

Thats the thing about a young Gonchar. He didn't start out with those instincts either. He always had a good shot and could get it on net but that natural flow for the game took a few years.
I wasn't happy with the Maatta pick, with some quality fwds still on the board, and the concerns I had about him in June.

But he is definetly getting there. I'd like to see him clean up his backwards skating, because it is so pivotal for a blueliner. He tends to overextend when he tries to poke check, and loses his backwards momentum. He needs to learn to straighten his hips more when he does that... It is nitpicking I suppose, since he is so young, but it does need cleaned up for sure.

Old
12-08-2012, 11:43 AM
Jacob

It's not that weird, really. Just look at the last numeric in a player's birth year. If a major-junior player is born in 1994, he'll be eligible to play in the AHL in the 2014 season. Same goes for the WJC. Since this is the 2013 WJC, anyone born in 1993 or after is eligible. 92 and before is too old.

The NHL draft cut off is mid-September. So you'll see some guys (Morrow) turn pro before others (Harrington) in the same draft class.

Old
12-08-2012, 11:43 AM
Sideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguins2946 View Post
Okay I knew neither would be ready for the NHL next year, and Shero would have no intention of rushing them. It's weird, Morrow was eligible to play in the AHL one year after he was drafted, but the other 2 have to wait 2 year, possibly 3 for Maatta (18 this year, 19 next year, 20 the year after, this is only his 2nd year in the OHL).
A player is AHL eligible after 4 years of junior or when he turns 20 in the same calendar year as the seasons begins. Joe Morrow doesn't turn 20 until tomorrow, but because he turns 20 before January 1st he's AHL eligible to start this season. Maatta only has this season and next where he cannot play in the AHL.

Old
12-08-2012, 11:52 AM
Sideline

On the subject of London defencemen was anyone else excited to see Penguins 2013 first rounder Nikita Zadorov?

Closed Thread