HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo: the continuing saga ...

Closed Thread

Old
12-07-2012, 09:52 PM
Henrik To Daniel

vCash: 500
Does anyone else find it funny that a fan of a team that hasn't made the playoffs in 8 years, a team that is a goaltending circus to boot, is saying that a world class goalie like Lou won't get them into the post season? Roberto has played more playoff games in the last two years than most Leaf players have in the entire career.

Old
12-07-2012, 09:53 PM
BlueBaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlhockeyfan View Post
LOL why would you want to switch Finn for Kadri? Kadri has a greater value.
Yes a value I put at Finn and a third is equal to Kadri.

However we need our forwards more so I would rather trade Finn over Kadri though I like both.

Old
12-07-2012, 09:58 PM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

vCash: 900
I started a new thread, as this one's way over.

Old
12-07-2012, 10:01 PM
Moore Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik To Daniel View Post
Does anyone else find it funny that a fan of a team that hasn't made the playoffs in 8 years, a team that is a goaltending circus to boot, is saying that a world class goalie like Lou won't get them into the post season? Roberto has played more playoff games in the last two years than most Leaf players have in the entire career.
I wouldn't say funny, more like delusional. I've watched many Leaf games over the last couple years and goaltending is by far the biggest problem. They give up back breaking goals on a nightly basis.

Old
12-07-2012, 10:01 PM
Oilin Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
It's extremely rare that a team has an asset like this to trade. Closest I can think of is Halak/Price (recently). Did MTL have to trade Halak? No, not in the sense of need, but going forward they couldn't sustain both. I'm not sure, but does that mean they were trying to help STL out?

The other facet of this is that Luongo _wants_ out. So that makes this _not_ a choice. He's made the decision. Now Gillis has to abide by it eventually. It's not necessary that he goes to TO either, but they have the greatest need and have been hotly rumoured in talks. Does that mean he has to go there? No, of course not. But it does mean that it makes a lot of sense for him to go there.
Halak, after singlehandedly almost leading the Habs to the promiseland, was younger, and was only able to fetch Lars Eller. Why would you think Luongo deserves substantially more.

Old
12-07-2012, 10:02 PM
sully1410

In before lock

He he he

Old
12-07-2012, 10:03 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:

Luongo's worst save percentage has been .904, his rookie year. the second worst was .913. He was top 10 last year among starters (greater than 40 games). So TO will know that they will get top8 level goaltending next year. Combine that with a top10 level offense and you have good reason to _expect_ the playoffs. That's something some here understand, and others don't.

Old
12-07-2012, 10:04 PM
Oilin Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckLuck View Post
oh just last year now? Way to add that in there buddy.

If we take top 5 last year, Brian Elliott is the best goalie in the league. i don't think that says much about their true value.

Don't you think we should go by consistency and say Lundqvist is the #1? On this list, Luongo is at most #8.
Please read my earlier post, perhaps you missed it, when I said that this is a "what have you done for me lately league." Please don't give me stats from 5 years ago. I guess, according to you, AO is the best player in the league.

Old
12-07-2012, 10:09 PM
CanuckLuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilin Toronto View Post
My question for you is, why would you give up on a top 5 goalie. If I had a top 5 goalie, I would hang on to him at all expense.

Canuck fans are very friendly, they love Torontonians, and just want to help us out. Please pawn your top 5 goalie to someone else.

Do I really need to explain Vancouver's goaltending situation to you?

Seriously stop just trying to be difficult and educate yourself on the situation a bit...I feel like after 30,000+ posts on the Luongo thread we were past the Luongo is 'washed up' trash.

Old
12-07-2012, 10:14 PM
BlueBaron

Quote:
Most of us think he will get us into the playoffs, but we worry about the subtraction of paying for him. The Lupuls/Kuleman/Bozak talks all hurt our offense, and in Kuleman's case our defense.

In theory we are going to be a parenial contender when our young guys and prospects step up and can get a playoff spot. Yet to any Leaf fan we are more than just Roberto Luongo away from being a contender. So who is truly expendable ?

Certainly not our 1rst round picks until we get a center (even if traded to do so). Lupul ? Maybe but his production with Kessel is tasty.
Kuleman , our best defensive forward who can score ?
JVR no, Kadri no, Rielly no, Finn no.

Grabovski ? I think he is long term but short term that would hurt, to me still doable but many Leaf fans disagree..

Bozak, ok, but he isn't enough. CMac, yes, but he is not greatly valued. Prospects like Blacker and Percy, ok. A goalie prospect maybe. Komi, sure, Lombardi, sure, Connolly if we keep Bozak. Any pick not our first for however many years, ok.

So its not that we don't wan't Luongo, it's that we can only pay so much without a great step backward and many of the pieces we could trade arent especially of value to a stacked team like Vancouver.

I think the only way a trade can work between the two is if Gillis will take quantity of 2nd/3rd line talent forwards, and second tier prospects like Blacker and Percy (though he is pretty good) and other picks not a first rounder. If not I don't see a trade happening.

Old
12-07-2012, 10:20 PM
TmlHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBaron View Post
Yes a value I put at Finn and a third is equal to Kadri.

However we need our forwards more so I would rather trade Finn over Kadri though I like both.
Oh I must have misread. I thought you wanted to put in Kadri+ a third instead of Finn. But I still value Kadri more, only because we need more good young forwards like him. We are getting stacked prospect-wise for defense.

Old
12-07-2012, 10:29 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilin Toronto View Post
1) Don't tell me that the Canucks would rather trade the better goalie (Luongo) simply because the other goalie is younger, and is a homegrown talent. Are you serious dude. I tell you what, I'll would be willing to give you what you ask for originally from the Leafs if you were to offer Schnieder instead of Luongo, because I believe that he's the better goalie. And, deep down inside, I think you feel the same way.
2) Of course, he is willing to come to camp. What do you want him to say, "I will not report to camp until I am given the starting role." The better question to ask is, "will he be a distraction if he loses the starting position?" The answer is a resounding "YES."

4) Since you have him locked up for 10 years for a very favorable cap hit, it would make sense to stick it out with Luongo instead of CS. I'm sure CS will want a more lucrative contract in the next couple of years. Would you not agree? Let me guess, you are not going to agree!

Seriously, you can take me up on any advice you want, I will make sure to set you on the right path.
1. I think I answered your question about who is better. I think Schneider can be better, but he needs to prove it. Called risk vs. reward

2. You say he will be a distraction based on what? Have you travelled to the future and back? Lets wait and see. If it is distraction then maybe that can be a factor of bringing value down, but until it happens it isn't.

4. You would offer same package? But you said Schneider is better and has great contract. Based on your logic I think he may yield a better package you think?

Last edited by Numbers: 12-07-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Closed Thread