HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Junior Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
World Junior Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 U.S.A.

Closed Thread

Old
12-06-2012, 03:56 PM
Xokkeu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Haha, Russia's selection committee is the most corrupt in the tourney!

They snub guys for coming and playing in NA and not staying in their jr and KHL programs.

I'm excited to see Galchenyuk. I think its awesome that he's identified himself as an American. Playing with Yakupov etc. it would be so easy for him to have started his international career with Russia. Its great for the American program, and I think its a good move for him as well. He's going to be a star.
Yeah because there seems to be a rule in American hockey that you can't be really skilled unless you are 5'10" or less.

Old
12-06-2012, 04:23 PM
Zippy316

Matteau hurt his neck in a fight last night and didn't play the rest of the game. Does anyone know how serious it was?

He injured it during the fight, so I don't know if it was a strain or something, but I don't think he could've done anything real serious.

Old
12-06-2012, 10:09 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Matteau should not be fighting.. Starting to piss me off... He was doing well.

Old
12-07-2012, 04:04 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykay View Post
Archibald is too old and I'm not sure which Wilson you're referring to.
Pens Wilson.

Old
12-07-2012, 04:18 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
Pens Wilson.
Scott Wilson is a Canadian. Also, too old.

Old
12-07-2012, 02:59 PM
showtime8

What happened to JT Miller?

Why is he not on the team??

Old
12-07-2012, 03:37 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime8 View Post
What happened to JT Miller?

Why is he not on the team??
What?

Old
12-07-2012, 03:41 PM
showtime8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
What?
Nevermind.

I didn't see him included on a couple of first posts and articles. Turns out he is invited.

Old
12-07-2012, 05:39 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
Sniper, his shot ranks around a 70 at the moment which is ridiculous for a JR.
What?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
No one player is going to determine how the team does as a whole. If you have a player who is clearly shooting with confidence there is a good chance he ends up shooting 30% for the tourney. If that's the case you probably lost 5 goals for the tourney. He could just as easily shoot 10% but that is a risk I would certainly take, especially with a 13th forward in your back pocket for late in the game.
This is flawed logic, as you have no clue how well he would have shot, nor how well whoever replaces him will shoot. I will say this though, Galchenyuk would have at least 5-10 more assists if Boucher would've buried half the chances he was spoon fed with a gaping net. He is by no means some automatic goal scoring machine, nice player for sure, but not some criminal omission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
to your 2nd point, I have to disagree with you here. Galchenyuk really couldnt find much chemistry with anyone at the summer eval camp, and though this wont be the summer camp, the same lack of familiarity remains.

I watched that summer camp and it was very apparent to me that Galchenyuks timing was off to start. He was coming off of missing almost a whole season so it was understandable, but by the end of the camp, he was clearly the best player on the ice imo. I also found that a lot of players were trying to do too much, maybe to get noticed, and really weren't playing the give-and-go game which is where Gally excels. As long as whoever is on his line realizes to get him the puck and to keep their stick on the ice, things should be fine.

Quote:
Galchenyuk is a special player and I hope Gaudreau or Miller can work out wonderful as linemates for him.... but in a short tournament like this, having a guy like Boucher on your line where you know where he will be on the ice at all circumstances can make a big difference in Galchenyuks overall performance.

As much as I love Bouchers game (poor man's Kunitz), he lacks the offensive awareness to belong on USAs top-6. Galchenyuk knows where everyone is on the ice at all times, believe me.

Quote:
If Galchenyuk does not find that chemistry needed (which does happen with these US teams) I will find it as a huge mistake to have left Boucher home. I get to see a lot of Sarnia/Saginaw games and I seriously felt both Trocheck and Boucher should be on this squad hands down...

I agree about Trocheck, I really like his talent and work ethic on the ice.

Old
12-07-2012, 07:07 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyZetts View Post
I watched that summer camp and it was very apparent to me that Galchenyuks timing was off to start. He was coming off of missing almost a whole season so it was understandable, but by the end of the camp, he was clearly the best player on the ice imo. I also found that a lot of players were trying to do too much, maybe to get noticed, and really weren't playing the give-and-go game which is where Gally excels. As long as whoever is on his line realizes to get him the puck and to keep their stick on the ice, things should be fine.

As much as I love Bouchers game (poor man's Kunitz), he lacks the offensive awareness to belong on USAs top-6. Galchenyuk knows where everyone is on the ice at all times, believe me.
My point about the lack of chemistry from the Summer camp is still valid regardless of the opinion. It doesnt make me feel much better knowing that players might have been trying too hard, or Galy was a bit rusty and that was the reason. There still was a lack of chemistry with whoever they put on that line, and that will continue to be a fear of mine until I see differently.

Hopefully the December eval camp and practices leading up to the games will help generate some chemistry....at least its what I hope.

As for Boucher not being a top 6 player on this team...when I look at some of the names being listed in the top 6 by some posters (Matteau, Biggs, and Barber)..I really do have to scratch my head with that comment as I do feel there is room for him to be a top 6 player as we are not completely loaded from top down here..

Again I am just calling it a mistake to not even invite the kid to camp..I am not suggesting he is a player that will make or break this team, but sometimes it only takes 1 goal to swing an entire tournament..and Boucher has proven that he can score those type of goals.. should have at least gotten a shot at the camp IMO,.

Old
12-07-2012, 07:44 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

I guess I will take a stab at the final roster with some possible line combos that I would like to see....with my usual shakeup of things...

This roster is of the current eval camp, if Kerdiles does get invited to the camp, then my roster changes with his addition.

Forwards

1. Gaudreau - Galchenyuk - Barber

I see a lot of Miller playing along with Galy, but I have a different view. Though this line might be a bit on the soft/smaller side, I think it has the skill and ability to be a very dangerous top line. If Gaudreau and Galchenyuk click, whoever plays on the right wing might become no more then a name with a pair of skates as these two could simply dominate.

2. Miller -[ A] - Grimaldi -[ A] - Noesen

This is honestly my favorite line. I love keeping the familiarity of Noesen and Miller together, and having them protect the smaller but dynamic Grimaldi. I think this line could wreak havoc on the competition and truly help from allowing teams to put their shutdown guys solely on the Galchenyuk line. This line has size, speed, and skill...I love it!

3. Lucia - Trocheck - Biggs

Talk about your energy line! This line would be awesome, as all these kids would play until the sun comes up. They can all play physical, edgy, or even play with highend skill. I think this could be one of the better 3rd lines in the tournament and would be a beast against other countries top lines. And it again leaves our lines with plenty of balance and scoring throughout, making us a nightmare to match up with.

4. Matteau - Kuraly - Hartman

This would be considered our fourth line or grinder line. And I love the fact that Hartman and Kuraly have wheels to burn out there. This line would piss off anyone as Matteau and Hartman are just pains in the ass to play against. And again this line has offensive skill as well as I think Hartman could even get moved up to the top line by tournaments end. I went with Kuraly here in hopes he rekindles that summer camp magic.

Extra Forward

Jimmy Vesey

I like Vesey as a kid that can come in and just play a nasty unheralded role ala Luke Wilson in 2010. Vesey has the size and grit to be a perfect replacement on any of our energy lines, and could pk as well. Nothing flashy about the young man, but you need guys like him to battle for you.

Defense

1. Murphy - Jones

This would be my ideal top pairing as both men have tremendous size and skill. Both could be beast offensively as well as defensively...knowing I have Trouba on my second pair makes me even more at ease knowing I can pair these two together and have it work out nicely.

2. McCabe - Trouba - [C]

This pairing would concentrate more on keeping the puck out of our net as both kids can play defense very well. I love the mix of physical play and skill from this pair. Both of these USNDP alumni would look great on our second pair..

3. Gostisbehere - Sieloff

I always like putting a skilled dman with a physical shutdown guy like Sieloff. They have some familiarity with each other from the past, but this would be a solid pair to have as our #3...I just like the balance here...

extra defenseman

Brady Skjei

I am sure Housley is going to pick this kid and I am fine with that as long as his role is minimal or unless he shows he can play with the big boys... He has the skating and vision to be a big help on our power play, but outside of that he really needs to step up..

Goalies

1. Gibson
2. Gillies
3. Sparks

This is just my feeling for how things will turn out..This is Gibson's show, no doubt about it. the backup role is a toss up, but Gillies seems to have more supporters at USA Hockey so he might get the edge..

Old
12-07-2012, 08:18 PM
flyers28giroux

Quote:
I guess I will take a stab at the final roster with some possible line combos that I would like to see....with my usual shakeup of things...

This roster is of the current eval camp, if Kerdiles does get invited to the camp, then my roster changes with his addition.

Forwards

1. Gaudreau - Galchenyuk - Barber

I see a lot of Miller playing along with Galy, but I have a different view. Though this line might be a bit on the soft/smaller side, I think it has the skill and ability to be a very dangerous top line. If Gaudreau and Galchenyuk click, whoever plays on the right wing might become no more then a name with a pair of skates as these two could simply dominate.

2. Miller -[ A] - Grimaldi -[ A] - Noesen

This is honestly my favorite line. I love keeping the familiarity of Noesen and Miller together, and having them protect the smaller but dynamic Grimaldi. I think this line could wreak havoc on the competition and truly help from allowing teams to put their shutdown guys solely on the Galchenyuk line. This line has size, speed, and skill...I love it!

3. Lucia - Trocheck - Biggs

Talk about your energy line! This line would be awesome, as all these kids would play until the sun comes up. They can all play physical, edgy, or even play with highend skill. I think this could be one of the better 3rd lines in the tournament and would be a beast against other countries top lines. And it again leaves our lines with plenty of balance and scoring throughout, making us a nightmare to match up with.

4. Matteau - Kuraly - Hartman

This would be considered our fourth line or grinder line. And I love the fact that Hartman and Kuraly have wheels to burn out there. This line would piss off anyone as Matteau and Hartman are just pains in the ass to play against. And again this line has offensive skill as well as I think Hartman could even get moved up to the top line by tournaments end. I went with Kuraly here in hopes he rekindles that summer camp magic.

Extra Forward

Jimmy Vesey

I like Vesey as a kid that can come in and just play a nasty unheralded role ala Luke Wilson in 2010. Vesey has the size and grit to be a perfect replacement on any of our energy lines, and could pk as well. Nothing flashy about the young man, but you need guys like him to battle for you.

Defense

1. Murphy - Jones

This would be my ideal top pairing as both men have tremendous size and skill. Both could be beast offensively as well as defensively...knowing I have Trouba on my second pair makes me even more at ease knowing I can pair these two together and have it work out nicely.

2. McCabe - Trouba - [C]

This pairing would concentrate more on keeping the puck out of our net as both kids can play defense very well. I love the mix of physical play and skill from this pair. Both of these USNDP alumni would look great on our second pair..

3. Gostisbehere - Sieloff

I always like putting a skilled dman with a physical shutdown guy like Sieloff. They have some familiarity with each other from the past, but this would be a solid pair to have as our #3...I just like the balance here...

extra defenseman

Brady Skjei

I am sure Housley is going to pick this kid and I am fine with that as long as his role is minimal or unless he shows he can play with the big boys... He has the skating and vision to be a big help on our power play, but outside of that he really needs to step up..

Goalies

1. Gibson
2. Gillies
3. Sparks

This is just my feeling for how things will turn out..This is Gibson's show, no doubt about it. the backup role is a toss up, but Gillies seems to have more supporters at USA Hockey so he might get the edge..
I must admit I love that second forward line, that's a line Phil Housley and his coaching staff should look into considering the fact JT Miller played with Grimaldi at USNTDP and played with Noesen at Plymouth, it could be an intriguing line if they decide to go with that.

Old
12-07-2012, 08:28 PM
flyers28giroux

Mario Lucia has scored tonight so far against Michigan State, five goals in seven games, I think he's got to be a lock for this world junior squad, possibly a bottom six role or maybe a spot on that second line.

Old
12-07-2012, 08:36 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers28giroux View Post
Mario Lucia has scored tonight so far against Michigan State, five goals in seven games, I think he's got to be a lock for this world junior squad, possibly a bottom six role or maybe a spot on that second line.
He could be the big "surprise" for this team like a D'Amigo. I'm a big Lucia fan.

Just made a beautiful pass on Tynan's goal too.

12-07-2012, 08:37 PM
melinko

Lucia is playing on NBC sports network for anyone that wants to watch.

Old
12-07-2012, 08:45 PM
Hale The Villain

I want to see a Gaudreau-Grimaldi-Barber line

Old
12-07-2012, 09:11 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
My point about the lack of chemistry from the Summer camp is still valid regardless of the opinion. It doesnt make me feel much better knowing that players might have been trying too hard, or Galy was a bit rusty and that was the reason. There still was a lack of chemistry with whoever they put on that line, and that will continue to be a fear of mine until I see differently.

Hopefully the December eval camp and practices leading up to the games will help generate some chemistry....at least its what I hope.

My point was that you shouldn't use that camp to judge chemistry as there were many reasons for the sluggishness. He shouldn't have trouble clicking with more talented players, and it's not like there is some crazy chemistry between him and Boucher either. That line can be pretty underwhelming with their constant stretch passes and drops to nobody.

Quote:
As for Boucher not being a top 6 player on this team...when I look at some of the names being listed in the top 6 by some posters (Matteau, Biggs, and Barber)..I really do have to scratch my head with that comment as I do feel there is room for him to be a top 6 player as we are not completely loaded from top down here..
Maybe you are just overrating Boucher? He IS a good player, but just not that good imo.

Quote:
Again I am just calling it a mistake to not even invite the kid to camp..I am not suggesting he is a player that will make or break this team, but sometimes it only takes 1 goal to swing an entire tournament..and Boucher has proven that he can score those type of goals.. should have at least gotten a shot at the camp IMO,.
Fair enough.

Old
12-07-2012, 09:58 PM
Xokkeu

Roster watch:

Jake McCabe with a terrible giveaway leads to a Blake Pietila goal.

Old
12-07-2012, 10:06 PM
lostinspace

I think all of your commentary is great! Why don't you focus on how the selected players can help USA win. All I see is why some players aren't good enough. I know, Strome, Jenner, RYH, Yakupov, Kholavek, and all the rest are good. Tell me why USA will win. I think they are not trying to embarrass themselves again. Fast and tough doesn't score goals or win games! I guess we'll see.

Old
12-07-2012, 10:09 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinspace View Post
I think all of your commentary is great! Why don't you focus on how the selected players can help USA win. All I see is why some players aren't good enough. I know, Strome, Jenner, RYH, Yakupov, Kholavek, and all the rest are good. Tell me why USA will win. I think they are not trying to embarrass themselves again. Fast and tough doesn't score goals or win games! I guess we'll see.
I suppose we should have called in those superstar scorers we have but I dunno.

Old
12-07-2012, 10:14 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Roster watch:

Jake McCabe with a terrible giveaway leads to a Blake Pietila goal.
And he makes up for this with a game tying primary assist.

Old
12-07-2012, 10:15 PM
lostinspace

Me either. Let's focus on how we can win. Who makes it and why! Who helps lead the team to victory. The rest of this **** is unnecessary. Arm-chair bandits you have all the answers.

Old
12-07-2012, 10:18 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinspace View Post
Me either. Let's focus on how we can win. Who makes it and why! Who helps lead the team to victory. The rest of this **** is unnecessary. Arm-chair bandits you have all the answers.
You are right, we should focus on who makes the team and specifically why.

Old
12-07-2012, 10:25 PM
lostinspace

I'll start. Rocco Grimaldi should be a top two center. He is unbelievable on big ice. His history is unquestionable.

Old
12-07-2012, 10:25 PM
Xokkeu

Kerdiles with an average showing tonight. Auditioning for a 4th line roll with some if his physical play but tonight is probably not one to force Housley's hand.

Closed Thread