HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Players you'll forever like or dislike because of their lockout "activity"

Old
12-07-2012, 09:04 PM
JayP812
The Team of Tomorrow

vCash: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
Brad Richards really rustled my jimmies. Guy wants to sound like he's smart but has probably said the dumbest **** thus far.

herp derp why you no move winter classic to february herp derp
I found it especially hilarious when he complained about money then the next day tweeted about his personal chef.

JayP812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 09:07 PM
Pyromaniac3

vCash: 500
As a collective group, I have lost respect for them. Upshall and Schnieder after today's tweets and interview are the headliners.

Pyromaniac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 09:09 PM
hlaverty06

Cole
Johnson
Campoli

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 09:11 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Owners are muzzled, so you wont hear them say something stupid, aside from the Red Wings exec, and he got hit hard with a fine.

Judging by what some of the players are saying, it might not be a bad idea to add a muzzling policy on them too.

Anyways, I wont dislike a player "forever" because of what they might say during these times, because I understand that they have to be frustrated that they cant play. I just dont think its a good idea to use social media or traditional media as a venting outlet, especially when emotions are so raw. Who hasn;t said something they regret before cooling down?

Last edited by Hackett: 12-07-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 09:15 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

All of them except any current or future Canucks.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 09:16 PM
wilty00

vCash: 1004
Upshall has been the only one that really bothered me, but I didn't like the guy in the first place after being in his presence a few summers ago.

Hainsey I just didn't like at all as a hockey player, now I dislike him as a whole unit.

wilty00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 09:19 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
nobody said Barch or Campoli yet?
I can't hate Campoli.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 09:20 PM
TheRollingPuck
Keep Calm & Corsi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marns View Post
Thankfully no Pens...yet
Joe Morrow vented over Twitter.

TheRollingPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 09:27 PM
Timmy

Love the art, not the artist.

Timmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 09:28 PM
GeeoffBrown

Lost a lot of respect for Erik Cole. Gained respect for Ryan Miller and Ron Hainsey. All of these guys are NHLPA "hardliners" but the difference in the way they communicate is night and day. Cole is so angry and confrontational about the whole thing. Miller and Hainsey obviously want the best deal possible for the players but they also want to play hockey and are optimistic that a deal can be done. I've liked pretty much anything I've heard either of them say.

Cole seems to be in it for the fight, imo.

GeeoffBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 09:59 PM
WTFetus
Most popular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayP812 View Post
I found it especially hilarious when he complained about money then the next day tweeted about his personal chef.
Didn't Brad Richards get his 8 million signing bonus on July 1st?

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 10:06 PM
Reed Solomon
GO ✈'s GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustGivingEr View Post
Hainsey is getting a lot of hate among Jets fans.
Is he really? I haven't found that to be the case. Not impressed with him, but hate is a bit strong.

Reed Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 10:12 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
Love the art, not the artist.
Yeah, pretty much. I don't really care what the players do off ice, to a point, and their thoughts on a collective bargaining agreement that is very personal to them certainly aren't going to affect about how I view them as players.

I don't understand why HF is so collectively upset at these guys. I suspect it's misplaced hero worship gone bad when people discover their heroes don't always agree with them, or that the players (in HF's collective mind) took away one of their favorite things, but I don't actually know that.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 10:18 PM
MarkusNaslund19

How can anybody be pro-owner in this lockout?

I hear a lot of people being ridiculously simple by talking about how "I would play for $50, so the players should too". It's about market value. It's also not as if cutting the player's salaries is going to lead to lower ticket prices. Did it last lockout?

And how can people talk about the greed of players, when that's less than a drop in the bucket compared to that of the owners? My theory is that there are a lot of people who think that with a little more talent or dedication that could be THEM in the NHL. But the owners are so rich that people view them as an establishment.

Is this what the deification of free-market capitalism (such a flawed system) in the U.S. has created?

The owner's are the ones who were literally signing players to big contracts until zero-hour, with the full intention of not paying that contract and trying to negotiate it so that the players wouldn't get the money from the contracts that they signed legally.

Also, why is it always the players' responsibility to save the owners from themselves? No player has ever offered another player a contract. The owners and GMs fall all over themselves to find loopholes in their own system. Then want the players to save them from themselves? Ridiculous.

Finally, the deal breaks down because the owners wanted the deal to be signed by the players without Fehr's help? That's the most obvious bullying move I've ever seen. The owners are in the room because many of them are brilliant negotiators. But the players aren't allowed to have their own negotiator?

Would you go through divorce proceedings if your wife/husband got a lawyer and you didn't? If you answered yes, you're a fool.

MarkusNaslund19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 10:20 PM
JustGivingEr
How far we done fell

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Solomon View Post
Is he really? I haven't found that to be the case. Not impressed with him, but hate is a bit strong.
Go to the Jets' board on here.

I don't really have a problem with him speaking out, but I can see how it might bother others.

JustGivingEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 10:24 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkusNaslund19 View Post

I hear a lot of people being ridiculously simple by talking about how "I would play for $50, so the players should too". It's about market value. It's also not as if cutting the player's salaries is going to lead to lower ticket prices. Did it last lockout?

And how can people talk about the greed of players, when that's less than a drop in the bucket compared to that of the owners? My theory is that there are a lot of people who think that with a little more talent or dedication that could be THEM in the NHL. But the owners are so rich that people view them as an establishment.

Is this what the deification of free-market capitalism (such a flawed system) in the U.S. has created?

The owner's are the ones who were literally signing players to big contracts until zero-hour, with the full intention of not paying that contract and trying to negotiate it so that the players wouldn't get the money from the contracts that they signed legally.

Also, why is it always the players' responsibility to save the owners from themselves? No player has ever offered another player a contract. The owners and GMs fall all over themselves to find loopholes in their own system. Then want the players to save them from themselves? Ridiculous.

Finally, the deal breaks down because the owners wanted the deal to be signed by the players without Fehr's help? That's the most obvious bullying move I've ever seen. The owners are in the room because many of them are brilliant negotiators. But the players aren't allowed to have their own negotiator?

Would you go through divorce proceedings if your wife/husband got a lawyer and you didn't? If you answered yes, you're a fool.
Steve Fehr ring a bell?

Things don't get fixed guess hockey can just go away, who does that benefit?

Edit: Keeping with the thread, All of them. Keep your mouth shut.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 10:27 PM
enviro61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
Yeah, pretty much. I don't really care what the players do off ice, to a point, and their thoughts on a collective bargaining agreement that is very personal to them certainly aren't going to affect about how I view them as players.

I don't understand why HF is so collectively upset at these guys. I suspect it's misplaced hero worship gone bad when people discover their heroes don't always agree with them, or that the players (in HF's collective mind) took away one of their favorite things, but I don't actually know that.
I think it's the realization that players do not have anything in common with the typical fan. Fans and owners at least have the best interest of the league at heart. Fans and owners want a competitive and fun game. Players want money and security primarily. The salary cap is the best thing to happen to the game and we have the owners to thank for it. The players fought tooth and nail against it. The salary cap has allowed teams to compete on a lvl playing field and has made the game for more balanced and competitive.

We have a similar issue this time around in the contract limit being put forth by the owners. In a salary cap world, 10+ year contracts have been killers for teams to have the flexibility to operate when these players underperform. Bettman noted that it went from 1 contract over 6 years awhile back to 90 today. Those players are likely all first and second line players. You won't find many fans who like these long-term contracts as it is detrimental to the game. Players being primarily motivated by security and compensation would love 30 year contracts and wouldn't give a damn what it meant to the competitive landscape of the league. The sad thing is it's those elite first and second line guys who are deciding the fate of the third and fourth liners who will never know the effect of contract limits regardless of whether they are 5 years or infinite. I would love for a vote by the NHLPA as I think there is a massive divide among the top tier or player and the middle/bottom tier.

enviro61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 10:27 PM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
It's easy for me. The owners want a healthy league with 30 teams that have a chance to turn a profit and put out a competitive on-ice product.

The players and Fehr want to turn this into major league baseball - which has 6 teams and 26 farm teams because it's economic model is broken.

Give the players all they want, just don't let this league turn into the Yankees/Red Sox and the Marlins/Royals.

That said, I still think we have a deal by the end of next week. LeBrun's article nailed it - we know what each side can and can't work with now. It's just a matter of nailing it down, once the posturing is done. It will be hard not to hold a grudge against such flagrant morons like Upshall when this is all done. I'm glad most of the Preds have kept quite.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 10:37 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post
Roman Hamrlik

But I always hated him anyway
Why? Do you like the lockout?

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 10:42 PM
sharks9

Roman Hamrlik
Michael Neuvirth

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 10:46 PM
Krnuckfan

Any player that spouted off on twitter about the lockout. As if I didn't know about the lack of intelligence of pro athletes before, this just confirmed it 100%.

Krnuckfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 10:48 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Ovechkin, Prust, Upshall and theres others I can't think of at the moment..

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 11:00 PM

What did Richards say?

I've never like him anyway. His King Kong teeth are just to huge.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 11:04 PM
enviro61

Quote:

Are 10-15 year contracts good for the competitive landscape of the game? No, absolutely not. Teams are hamstrung by these damn things. Let the teams that signed the players to these assanine contracts suffer them to their miserable end but the owners realize the system is broke and requires fixing for the benefit of the game going forward. Do players realize this or care..of course not. They place personal security and compensation above all else.

As a fan I hate long-term guaranteed contracts. It is a win win for a player and can only hurt the team/owner and fan. How often do players who underperform rengotiate their contracts...ever? Do players compensate owners when the teams lose money? Listen, the players win at all aspects..they have it so damn good that people like you do not realize the system still needs to be fixed. Trust me, fix it and you will enjoy the game more just like you have with the salary cap.

enviro61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 11:04 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:

It's not the players responsibility. It's the owners. That's why they're trying to cap the ufa contract at 5 years...to save the little markets from the big markets, to maintain a little parity, to try to grow the sport in smaller markets by letting them compete for big names without risking a decade of bankruptcy. That's why they want that bit in the CBA.

Players...I used to really like Toews but now i can take him or leave him. Miller sounds like nothing more than a yes-man for fehr...like that was a post he was nominated for. From the Wild Seto has sounded like a fairly stupid little ****** in spurts, and Cuma of all people is yapping about it. Bissonette is obviously pretty dim, and when it's just odd comments about someone's shoes or his girlfriends apartment or whatever its sufferable but when he tries to get serious it alternates from infuriating to just sad. If these are the guys they bring to the table then yeah, i can see why Fehr wouldn't want them alone in a room with even the least smart, least threatening owner. Those are the ones that have irked me personally.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote