HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 3.0

Closed Thread

Old
12-07-2012, 06:52 PM
MaxLacoste

vCash: 500
I would love to see Zadorov on the Habs line-up. I really believe in the BPA mentality and if the BPA is a defenseman let's take him. NEVER forget that our best asset is by far our starting goalie. Give Carey Price a very good defense in 4-5 years (when he will be in his prime) and the Habs will be a very hard team to beat. If we can have a big defense that protect Carey and give him space, it will be difficult to score against him.

Subban -
Tinordi - Beaulieu
Gorge - Emelin/Ellis

Put anyone of Jones, Ristolainen, Nurse or Zadorov in that defense and I think we are in business.

Old
12-07-2012, 07:31 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Man, London is insanely good. Domi just pulled off a couple of incredible moves but was then stoned by the goalie. Zadorov looks big and solid. Horvat had an excellent assist on a goal in the 1st.

Old
12-07-2012, 07:33 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Man, London is insanely good. Domi just pulled off a couple of incredible moves but was then stoned by the goalie. Zadorov looks big and solid. Horvat had an excellent assist on a goal in the 1st.
Those dekes by Domi were white-hot and Broadhurst just walked through Niagara

3-0 London...17th straight win in sight.

Old
12-07-2012, 09:12 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Zadorov is a much better skater than Valabik.

Zadorov kind of reminds me of our own Jarred Tinordi, actually.
Tinordi
Zadarov
Ellis
Thrower

That is a rock solid bottom 4 D.

Old
12-07-2012, 09:18 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Speaking of London being so good...I hate to admit it, but Seth Griffith is looking the real deal. Every time I watch him play he wows me.

Damn you Boston.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:34 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Zadorov is a much better skater than Valabik.

Zadorov kind of reminds me of our own Jarred Tinordi, actually.
As far as skating goes yeah, you can see he has much to improve in fluidity, but it's far from being as bad as some other humongous kids.

I think Zadorov is better with the puck than Tinordi was at the same age. On the other hand, I think Tinordi was better defensively than Nikita is.

All in all, I think Zadorov is better at the same age than Tinordi was. And I'd take a big guy with decent puck skills who hits almost every chance he gets at #15 anyday of the week.

Also, I liked Bo Horvat last night, he's pretty solid in every aspect of the game, and was often used against Strome/Ritchie/Theoret. He did a good job for most part of the game. Might not be as slick and elusive as Domi is, but he has the body. I'm not really sure how people see him go in the 1st round while they predict Duclair in the 2nd. Duclair has better offensive potential than Horvat.

By the way, am I the only on here (cue the meme) that sees a lot of Ben Maxwell in Horvat's game?

Last edited by QuebecPride: 12-08-2012 at 08:40 AM.
Old
12-08-2012, 08:56 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
By the way, am I the only on here (cue the meme) that sees a lot of Ben Maxwell in Horvat's game?
I don't see it at all...Horvat is a much more accomplished all-around player.

Old
12-08-2012, 01:28 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Domi has sic moves definitely Elite,he made Niagara's defence look like they were in Deep Freeze.The "Iceman Cometh"(Domi).

Old
12-08-2012, 02:26 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
I know Verrier was far from a fan favourite early on this season as fans thought he was receiving ice time solely because he's the son of the President of the team(IIRC). But he has been scoring some clutch goals for them lately. He's shooting from everywhere and everything he touches seems to turn into gold lately. He has a strong shot, but is an average skater, he's a hardworker though. I don't honestly see much offensive potential as a Pro for him as he doesn't have the greatest hands either. Besides his shot, there's not one asset that stands out as a strenght. I'd rather see us look into a Clapperton, Andrighetto or a JC Lipon rather than Verrier.

Malouin is a character player, but he's another average guy in pretty much every aspect of the game. Alright skating, average hands, but he works hard and will do anything to win. Could see him play in the ECHL, maybe eventually the AHL, but not much further.
Malouin looked he brings a gritty style, and I'd like to see the Habs have more guys in the ECHL (on AHL contracts) just for more depth for Hamilton. This year they did add more depth so i'm hoping it continues next year when there is hopefully a season.

I'd be very interested in getting Lipon but I would think a number of teams will be looking to draft him this time around.

Old
12-08-2012, 02:57 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Malouin looked he brings a gritty style, and I'd like to see the Habs have more guys in the ECHL (on AHL contracts) just for more depth for Hamilton. This year they did add more depth so i'm hoping it continues next year when there is hopefully a season.

I'd be very interested in getting Lipon but I would think a number of teams will be looking to draft him this time around.
There is a serious lack of gritty players in the Habs prospects list and no matter of skill will win alone in the AHL/NHL in this era.Physical play has won over skill more often than not in the last decade.The team with the most depth and physicality with size outlast the smaller teams that get worn down through four rounds of playoffs and an 82 game schedule.Hamilton seems to have a very good mix of players in their team but are faced with too many teams loaded up with NHLers.The CHL has plenty of players of that ilk besides Curtis Lazar and many of them play in the Q as I've pointed out earlier.Nick Cousins of Sault Ste.Marie seems to have a grasp on the Shayne Corson type player we need as does Lazar.

Old
12-08-2012, 03:09 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
There is a serious lack of gritty players in the Habs prospects list and no matter of skill will win alone in the AHL/NHL in this era.Physical play has won over skill more often than not in the last decade.The team with the most depth and physicality with size outlast the smaller teams that get worn down through four rounds of playoffs and an 82 game schedule.Hamilton seems to have a very good mix of players in their team but are faced with too many teams loaded up with NHLers.The CHL has plenty of players of that ilk besides Curtis Lazar and many of them play in the Q as I've pointed out earlier.Nick Cousins of Sault Ste.Marie seems to have a grasp on the Shayne Corson type player we need as does Lazar.
I watched a couple periods of the Edmonton Oil Kings/ Calgary Hitmen last night and I don't get the Lazar thing. He's okay but not what I'm looking for in a top 15 pick. One of the players that caught my eye was Jake Virtanen (2014 draft), if we want someone with size that's a player I'd be interested in. Reminds me of a young Kesler type, like the way he skates and playing the power forward type of game seems to come naturally to him.

Renegade Styling has had his eye on him for a while, here is an excerpt from his blog on Jake:

17. Jake Virtanen - If someone is going to challenge Jones for rookie of the year, I would predict it would be this kid. The Calgary Hitmen rookie does a little bit of everything and is poised for a strong rookie season after being the 1st overall pick in the WHL bantam draft in 2011. He's surrounded by talent and will definitely catch your eye when you watch him. I've seen him play a few times and am very excited to see more of him, especially live.

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.ca/20...n-2012-13.html

Old
12-08-2012, 04:28 PM
Et le But

Quote:
You don't waste high end draft picks on "big gritty players" unless they also have skill. I know everyone wants to copy the Kings and Bruins right now but neither one of them wasted high draft picks on bringing in big grinders.

There's a lot of high end guys in this draft who are both very talented and build like tanks though.

Old
12-08-2012, 05:03 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Speaking of London being so good...I hate to admit it, but Seth Griffith is looking the real deal. Every time I watch him play he wows me.

Damn you Boston.
He may look like a real deal, but so did Corey Locke... So did Justin Azevedo....

Only time will tell how he does.

Old
12-08-2012, 05:16 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLacoste View Post
I would love to see Zadorov on the Habs line-up. I really believe in the BPA mentality and if the BPA is a defenseman let's take him. NEVER forget that our best asset is by far our starting goalie. Give Carey Price a very good defense in 4-5 years (when he will be in his prime) and the Habs will be a very hard team to beat. If we can have a big defense that protect Carey and give him space, it will be difficult to score against him.

Subban -
Tinordi - Beaulieu
Gorge - Emelin/Ellis

Put anyone of Jones, Ristolainen, Nurse or Zadorov in that defense and I think we are in business.
Another young comer on defence from the Prince George Cougars is making some moves on the draft charts 6'6" 190 lbs. Marc McNulty.

Old
12-08-2012, 06:45 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
You don't waste high end draft picks on "big gritty players" unless they also have skill. I know everyone wants to copy the Kings and Bruins right now but neither one of them wasted high draft picks on bringing in big grinders.

There's a lot of high end guys in this draft who are both very talented and build like tanks though.
Lazar isn't even big... Don't see why people slate him to go top15.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:48 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Because he had a great rookie year, solid defensive play for his age and a fantastic playoff run and especially against Portland in the finals. And now he's starting to get back to where he was at the end of the season. Get back to me in 3 months.

Old
12-08-2012, 10:43 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post

I have never once said waste high picks on grinders or big gritty players or copy any teams.Please read before burning,I don't like being scorched for things I'm not guilty of let alone other inadequacies like comprehension.

Old
12-08-2012, 11:24 PM
bsl

Quote:
The very doomsday scenario of this lockout dragging into October or November 2013.

I could see them skipping the draft and having a super draft with 2 ''draft classes'' it in June 2014 if that happens.
That would be perfect.

Old
12-09-2012, 12:04 AM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
That would be perfect.
4 picks in the top two rounds would be like 4 1st rounders. We would make out like bandits so I wont get my hopes up.

I fully expect to see a lottery with our ****** odds and end up picking 20ish.

Old
12-09-2012, 07:12 PM
hab 4ever

Quote:
Lazar isn't even big... Don't see why people slate him to go top15.
I agree. I'd be surprised if he is picked in the first round of this loaded draft when it is all said and done. Just too little skills. To me, he should go in the 32-40 range. I would not want the Habs to draft him in the first two rounds.

Old
12-09-2012, 07:15 PM
Lars The GOAT Eller
WildGranlund

Send a message via Skype™ to Lars The GOAT Eller
Lazar will go in the first, his game is too complete to drop that much. That being said the lack of offense is worrisome, if he was producing he'd go top 10.

Old
12-10-2012, 06:39 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Another young comer on defence from the Prince George Cougars is making some moves on the draft charts 6'6" 190 lbs. Marc McNulty.
he's not related to jimmy is he?

Last edited by MasterDecoy: 12-10-2012 at 06:53 AM.
Old
12-10-2012, 06:43 AM
PricePkPatch

I would be willing to pay a lot to see Timmins's drafting list. How high would be Drouin..?

We draft 3x 2nds next year, right?

Old
12-10-2012, 07:46 AM
MaxLacoste

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
I would be willing to pay a lot to see Timmins's drafting list. How high would be Drouin..?

We draft 3x 2nds next year, right?
Yes. With those 2nd rounders, if Timmins choose wisely, we could get the depth every winning team need. As for Drouin, he must be really high (top 5 IMO). A french canadian highly skilled winger that could play along Gally, it's hard to pass on.

Old
12-10-2012, 08:58 AM
Gally11

Think we'll pickup a goalie with one of those 2nd rounders? Eric Comrie looks pretty good but I don't know much about him other than we've had success getting a goalie from Tri-City

Closed Thread