HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lockout Discussion Thread 3.0

Closed Thread

Old
12-07-2012, 05:05 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

vCash: 500
Just saw the next Star Trek movie trailer. There's less lens flares in it.

It's a sign

Old
12-07-2012, 05:05 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Gaines View Post
At least our best youngsters are playing hockey instead of sitting in the press box eating nachos.
like PK and Price ?

Old
12-07-2012, 05:08 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
At least our best youngsters are playing hockey instead of sitting in the press box eating nachos.
We're most likely losing out on a high draft pick, and we would have traded some veterans at the deadline for picks in one of the deepest drafts in history.

Which I'm pretty sure was Bergevin's plan when he completed the UFA season with a weak roster.

Old
12-07-2012, 05:11 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
like PK and Price ?
I'd love for them to play, but it's their choice if they don't play, they're pros, they'll still have an NHL spot after the lock out.

Old
12-07-2012, 05:12 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Yes, their Twitter posts and comments just ooze intelligence, knowledge and particularly social perspective. Hint, if someone calls you as smart as a hockey player, they're not giving you a compliment. And yes, there are exceptions to the rule.
The average hockey player talking on twitter is far more knowledgeable than the average person on this board.

Sports fans are generally considered as idiotic as athletes. It's a perception, nothing more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
It seems to have worked with the dunderheaded mouth breathers forming popular opinion on this board.

I love how people bring up the fact that the players are uneducated in an effort to disqualify the players' opinions on the negotiations. As if they're just supposed to say "yessir massa boss sir, you has some might fancy law book learnin' that I don't understand. Please tell me where I can mark my X." The fact of the matter is, the players probably have a much clearer understanding of the issues than most of the fans saying this ****, being that they were actually there to hear what was actually said, instead of gobbling up Bettman and Daly's account like pigeons on stale bread.
You've pretty much nailed it, with one exception, you've neglected to mention how significant a role envy plays in a lot of people's opinions.

With that said, the owners are really pathetic. "We're not negotiating with you if you choose to have representation", that's actually illegal. All workers in every jurisdiction in North American are nominally allowed to choose to have representation.

But really they should stop being crybabies. Players are allowed to have representation, deal with it. I think a lot of people like Jeremy Jacobs are used to getting whatever they want whenever they want, so they find the players' refusal to instantly cave to all their demands offensive. The fact he might actually need to pay Lucic the 6 million a year he signed him for grates him.

Last edited by DAChampion: 12-07-2012 at 05:27 PM.
Old
12-07-2012, 05:37 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
I'd love for them to play, but it's their choice if they don't play, they're pros, they'll still have an NHL spot after the lock out.
Yup, and like you said, at least they're playing instead of staying home eating nachos... right ?

Last edited by ECWHSWI: 12-07-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old
12-07-2012, 05:54 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
You've pretty much nailed it, with one exception, you've neglected to mention how significant a role envy plays in a lot of people's opinions.
There I have, you're quite right. I have opined on this matter in previous lockout threads, however. I agree with this. 100%

It's just funny that they don't have the wherewithal to follow their envy through to it's ultimate conclusion. It doesn't make sense that jealousy over money should lead to solidarity with a party which is orders of magnitude more wealthy than any member of the other party.

Quote:
With that said, the owners are really pathetic. "We're not negotiating with you if you choose to have representation", that's actually illegal. All workers in every jurisdiction in North American are nominally allowed to choose to have representation.

But really they should stop being crybabies. Players are allowed to have representation, deal with it. I think a lot of people like Jeremy Jacobs are used to getting whatever they want whenever they want, so they find the players' refusal to instantly cave to all their demands offensive. The fact he might actually need to pay Lucic the 6 million a year he signed him for grates him.
Very good point.

Old
12-07-2012, 06:02 PM
tdecheno

Quote:
like PK and Price ?
Come on Pk is boss. He's got his whole lame as ***** #Joel movement and a gig on Sportsnet, who needs hockey??

Props to Price and most of the other guys for staying away instead of pimping themselves out.

Old
12-07-2012, 06:36 PM
tdecheno

**** the players!! The scrub making 550K per year for playing 12 mins(and that's generous mins) makes $559 per minute. Go F yourself....Crosby's of the world playing 22 mins makes close to 5K per minute. Cry me a f'ing river....

Old
12-07-2012, 06:37 PM
bentheprop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
The warning bells could be heard miles away the day the PA hired Fehr.

All you have to do is look at the amount of labour stoppages that Bettman and Fehr have under their belts. Bettman is in his 3rd stoppage, while Fehr is in his 6th stoppage in 8 total bargaining sessions.

If anything, their history has proven that they are capable of keeping their clients on a leash, and that they are more than capable of killing seasons.

I was surprised that more wasn't made out of the Fehr hiring at the time. I was thinking about a potential labour dispute the moment the PA decided to hire him.

Its unfortunate for the fans, but as much as we may wanted to brush it off, the possibility of a stoppage was all too real the moment Fehr was hired.
Exactly my thoughts.

As much as I hate Bettman I hate Fehr even more. After all he was the man that led the MLBPA through the strike that cancelled the world series in 94. That strike killed the Expos' best shot at a world series championship and doomed the franchise.

I also have issues with the players wanting a higher revenue percentage than the NFL (47%) and the NBA (51%). If the players think they are getting screwed with what the owners are offering now they should just be glad that the owners don't want to go to non-guaranteed contracts like the NFL has.

Old
12-07-2012, 06:42 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
The owners acted like the petulant, selfish, evil jerks they've always been?

Jacobs extended a bunch of his players only to want them to take massive paycuts afterwards when the ink was dry. If that doesn't summarize the NHL's greasy behaviour in a nutshell I dunno what does.

The players went to consult their council and then they're told that the offer's off the table. And then Bob Mac goes on air/twitter and says "the owners are deeply disappointed". Christ, this is so transparent! It peeves me off!!! Same this happened with the first "50/50" offer which was, in fact, not at all a 50/50 offer. TSN got it and ran with it and public opinion aka the mouthbreathers went ape and started clamoring that the NHLPA are being selfish and greedy. Then it was revealed that the 50/50 offer was completely full of lies. Bob Mack, and Darren Dreger are suckling on the NHL's teat just like they've always been. Like with every suspension, like with the Chara hit, like with EVERYTHING.

This is a lockout not a player strike. The league's had record revenues, the owners get public (tax-payer) funding for a lot of their arenas and a massive amount of collateral, there is literally no team that is costing its owner more money than it is making (save, maybe, Phoenix though it's very complicated)... The players have every right to be furious.
That counts as HRR. Just do you know. Taxpayer bailouts count as money owed to players.

Old
12-07-2012, 06:45 PM
LyricalLyricist

I hope NHLPA decertifies and everything comes crashing down for everyone in a legal battle that lasts 5 years where players don't make a penny and neither do owners. It's a different type of entertainment.

Old
12-07-2012, 06:57 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdecheno View Post
**** the players!! The scrub making 550K per year for playing 12 mins(and that's generous mins) makes $559 per minute. Go F yourself....Crosby's of the world playing 22 mins makes close to 5K per minute. Cry me a f'ing river....
I suggest you stop buying Habs gear and ticks to games that would teach those greedy ******* a lesson...

Old
12-07-2012, 07:25 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
That's right.

When the players are not on the ice, they're not working.

Old
12-07-2012, 07:27 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyricallyricist View Post
i hope nhlpa decertifies and everything comes crashing down for everyone in a legal battle that lasts 5 years where players don't make a penny and neither do owners. It's a different type of entertainment.
lol.

Old
12-07-2012, 08:44 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
lol.
Don't lie, you've posted more than anyone else in these threads, you'd love it.

Old
12-07-2012, 08:48 PM
tdecheno

Quote:
That's right.

When the players are not on the ice, they're not working.

Oh no!!!! Poor babies...they would be working if they weren't so f'ing greedy.

Old
12-07-2012, 09:33 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Oh no!!!! Poor babies...they would be working if they weren't so f'ing greedy.
just so you know, players arent asking for more than what they got in the last CBA, they even agreed for less.

Old
12-07-2012, 09:50 PM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:

What about millions of people paying good money to watch these guys do they job. When there will be people watching you doing your job.. and you're amongst the 1000 best in the entire world, then you can whine.

What do you expect? Players being paid 50k while the owners takes 99% of the revenues? Do you even know what this lock-out is about? Don't compare yourself with your hourly salary with professional hockey players.

Old
12-07-2012, 10:03 PM
tdecheno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Scuderia View Post

What about millions of people paying good money to watch these guys do they job. When there will be people watching you doing your job.. and you're amongst the 1000 best in the entire world, then you can whine.

What do you expect? Players being paid 50k while the owners takes 99% of the revenues? Do you even know what this lock-out is about? Don't compare yourself with your hourly salary with professional hockey players.
Who said I was comparing myself? lol....the whole point is, the players cried poor in '04-'05 and then proceded to make more money than they have ever had in the past. And the same will happen again....it's all a big waste of time cause of their greed. They want it all, right away. Heaven forbid the owners take a few more years to pay it off.

GIMME GIMME GIMME by the players. The owners/gm's/coaches work way more hours than any player does.

Old
12-07-2012, 10:11 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Who said I was comparing myself? lol....the whole point is, the players cried poor in '04-'05 and then proceded to make more money than they have ever had in the past. And the same will happen again....it's all a big waste of time cause of their greed. They want it all, right away. Heaven forbid the owners take a few more years to pay it off.

GIMME GIMME GIMME by the players. The owners/gm's/coaches work way more hours than any player does.
Seriously.

The average player plays 20 minutes a game, maybe 60 games a year since the bums are always injured.

So really they're only working 20 hours a year maximum. And they're making millions !!!

Bums are overpaid !!!

Old
12-07-2012, 10:11 PM
dcal64

Quote:
just so you know, players arent asking for more than what they got in the last CBA, they even agreed for less.
All the owners asked for is a 50/50 split of revenue, which is what players in other sports are getting.

They also asked for a 10 year CBA agreement and asked for a 5 year max contract length.

Tell me what is so unreasonable in their demands?

Old
12-07-2012, 10:15 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcal64 View Post
All the owners asked for is a 50/50 split of revenue, which is what players in other sports are getting.

They also asked for a 10 year CBA agreement and asked for a 5 year max contract length.

Tell me what is so unreasonable in their demands?
The fact that every single change without exception is supposed to be in their favor, and that they don't even want to honour existing contracts in spite of having a spending orgy this summer.

The players have been clear, they're willing to make concessions as long as they get something back.

Old
12-07-2012, 10:16 PM
NotProkofievian

You know what the funny thing is? My brother is a CA, and he doesn't actually have that much more a sophisticated opinion on these matters than some of the pro-owner posters here.

Old
12-07-2012, 10:38 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
I'm accountant too and I see the owner game from 10 miles away... If they get a KO with this lockout(which look like it will happen) and every team make a profit you will see every single team value double. They are indeed playing the bully game to make sure that hockey become an easy money business... Oh yeah another prediction, 2 more expansion in the next 3 years following the lockout!

Closed Thread