HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Owners or Players?

View Poll Results: Do you currently side with the players or the owners?
Owners 124 80.52%
Players 30 19.48%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-07-2012, 08:01 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Which has nothing to do with the fans filling the arena I'm sure. Cause a hockey team is a philanthropy right out of the owners pockets amirite?
Are you saying the players would play for free?

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 08:06 PM
The Note
Bullies

vCash: 500
Neither, but I'd lean owners after starting out pulling for the players.

The Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 09:00 PM
StringerBell

Pro players but anti NHLPA. If the owners would agree to significant changes in revenue sharing then I would have more support for them. As it stands it seems like the owners want to take enough money from the players to make teams a no risk investment that's guaranteed to make money each season. I'm of the mind that NHL teams are a business, not an investment, and you earn your money based on your ability to run that business. Obviously the big markets will have to support the little ones, but the revenue sharing policy is too much of a joke for that to be viable, and rich owners like Jacobs in Boston are fighting to keep it that way.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 09:04 PM
Machinehead
#SearchForMcDonagh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Are you saying the players would play for free?
I'm saying the players are paid because we go to the games, we buy merch, and we watch on tv which leads to advertising money. We pay the players. If there's no fans, there's no money. If there's no money there's no owners.

Owners don't people to play hockey because they're nice guys. They're in it for their own profit which comes from us.

Any expenditures the owners have to pay are taken out of what they make, the rest is profit. That's how business works. The owners don't give anything.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 10:16 PM
Pyromaniac3

Quote:
The owners hit the jackpot in the last deal and look where we are 8 years later...
And the players didn't hit the jackpot right?

Pyromaniac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 11:19 PM
Machinehead
#SearchForMcDonagh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromaniac3 View Post
And the players didn't hit the jackpot right?
Compared to you and me? They hit it every day.

Compared to the owners? Absolutely not.

Old
12-07-2012, 11:44 PM
NjDevsRR

Someone tweet this to all of the players

NjDevsRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 12:23 AM
ricky0034

Owners by so much

ricky0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 12:42 AM
FrailSwan

Haha what a margin we have here!

FrailSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 08:51 AM
Sour Shoes
lol u mad cam?

team gary for me.

Sour Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 08:58 AM
Pyromaniac3

Quote:
Compared to you and me? They hit it every day.

Compared to the owners? Absolutely not.
Owners lose money as a collective group, players make money as a collective group. Forbes confirms this.

Pyromaniac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 09:02 AM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
Players want as much money as possible. Doesnt care about the league long-term.

Owners want money for everyone and a long-term healthy league.

Owners quite easily.
Pretty Much.

McTankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 04:32 PM
CN_paladin

A month ago, it was around 75% who were pro-owner here on HF.

I am glad to see that more and more people are no longer under Fehr's magic spell.

CN_paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 05:10 PM
HBK27

Have to admit I'm rather suprised by the results. I haven't been following the lockout that closely until recently because I'm disgusted by the whole thing, but I thought a majority of the fans would be on the players side since they're the ones that are making all the concessions.

I was very much pro-owners during the last lockout because the players were making way too much & I felt the league needed a cap for its long-term health. This time around after seeing revenues go up so much, I'm not sure why the NHL is looking to beat the NHLPA so soundly other than because they can. I realize there are a number of teams struggling, but I feel this is more on the owners part to fix since they're the ones that took all the expansion money to bring these teams into the league and now do little in revenue sharing to help them survive. Not saying that the player's cut shouldn't be going down to 50%, but for as much as the NHL cries poverty for many of its teams they don't do much to help each other out.

Also, with this being the 3rd lockout of Bettman's tenure it's tough not to believe that this is part of his plan. Didn't his initial offer after the lockout already started come in around 43% or so for the players?

Regardless of who's to blame, I want to see them all suffer. I'm sick of the fans being taken for granted and whenever they do return would love nothing more than to see largely empty arenas and a drop in revenue that will take years to recover. I came back 110% after the last lockout because as much as it sucked royally to lose a season, I at least understood that it was unfortunately necessary for the good of the game. This time, I don't see anything but greed driving this and a lot of my passion for the game is gone.

HBK27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 05:59 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
I'm saying the players are paid because we go to the games, we buy merch, and we watch on tv which leads to advertising money. We pay the players. If there's no fans, there's no money. If there's no money there's no owners.

Owners don't people to play hockey because they're nice guys. They're in it for their own profit which comes from us.

Any expenditures the owners have to pay are taken out of what they make, the rest is profit. That's how business works. The owners don't give anything.
You go the games, who pays for the arena? It's staff that sell the merchandise? Who pays for the merchandise to be made? Who fly's the players from city to city so everyone can see them? Who pays the players to actually play? Who pays for the training equipment? Seems to me with out the owners first putting up money there wouldn't be a league for you to watch these players but I am sure the players "love" of the game would set all of this up right?

Old
12-08-2012, 06:11 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

Players. Unlike the last lockout, this one was completely unnecessary. It was based on the greed of certain owners and their inability to control their own spending.

I do like some of the aspects of the owners' offers, but basically this lockout should never have happened.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 07:18 PM
Eisen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
Players. Unlike the last lockout, this one was completely unnecessary. It was based on the greed of certain owners and their inability to control their own spending.

I do like some of the aspects of the owners' offers, but basically this lockout should never have happened.
Completely agreed.

Eisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 07:20 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBK27 View Post
Have to admit I'm rather suprised by the results. I haven't been following the lockout that closely until recently because I'm disgusted by the whole thing, but I thought a majority of the fans would be on the players side since they're the ones that are making all the concessions.
Not surprising results in my opinion. Most fans don't understand and don't take the time to understand the issues. They rely almost solely on what the media reports and since the media is a desperate group to get back to work, they obviously reported that the owners' last offer was a good one when really, it wasn't... for the players. Fans and media want hockey no matter who wins or loses and if accepting the owners' last offer means hockey being played and the players refused it, fans and media will blame the players. As simple as that.

In reality though, the players have every justification to have rejected that last offer and in spite of Gary Bettman's lies, the owners haven't given the players one single thing since the beginning of the negotiations. They're only budging from their initial low-ball offer and anyone who doesn't see that, simply refuses to see the truth.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 07:23 PM
Machinehead
#SearchForMcDonagh

Quote:
You go the games, who pays for the arena? It's staff that sell the merchandise? Who pays for the merchandise to be made? Who fly's the players from city to city so everyone can see them? Who pays the players to actually play? Who pays for the training equipment? Seems to me with out the owners first putting up money there wouldn't be a league for you to watch these players but I am sure the players "love" of the game would set all of this up right?
Expenditures are a part of business. That's still being made back or supposed to be made back if the business is being run properly. There's nothing an owner does that isn't measured in dollars. I don't care about dollars, I care about hockey.

I don't recall my team's owner trying a game with 6 seconds left. I don't recall my teams owner getting a 40 save shutout. I don't recall my team's owner breaking his leg to block a shot. Matter of fact I don't even recall seeing the owner at a game this year.

The game. That's what matters to me, not signing checks. Yeah the owners are necessary. That doesn't mean I'm gonna be on their side when they shut down a game they don't play and don't care about beyond their bottom line.

I'm sure the Rangers owner knows how much Brian Boyle makes every year. I'm willing to bet he doesn't know what position he plays.

Old
12-08-2012, 07:29 PM
VeteranNetPresence
Disco Super Fly.

owners, ainec

VeteranNetPresence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 07:36 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Expenditures are a part of business. That's still being made back or supposed to be made back if the business is being run properly. There's nothing an owner does that isn't measured in dollars. I don't care about dollars, I care about hockey.

I don't recall my team's owner trying a game with 6 seconds left. I don't recall my teams owner getting a 40 save shutout. I don't recall my team's owner breaking his leg to block a shot. Matter of fact I don't even recall seeing the owner at a game this year.

The game. That's what matters to me, not signing checks. Yeah the owners are necessary. That doesn't mean I'm gonna be on their side when they shut down a game they don't play and don't care about beyond their bottom line.

I'm sure the Rangers owner knows how much Brian Boyle makes every year. I'm willing to bet he doesn't know what position he plays.
Sounds like you have a real ****** owner if thats the case, but many owner's aren't that way. Also if expenditures are a part of business then heroics are a part of sports, and if the owner's aren't compensated for expenditures than players shouldn't be compensated for heroics it comes with the territory no?

Old
12-08-2012, 07:42 PM
Machinehead
#SearchForMcDonagh

Quote:
Sounds like you have a real ****** owner if thats the case, but many owner's aren't that way. Also if expenditures are a part of business then heroics are a part of sports, and if the owner's aren't compensated for expenditures than players shouldn't be compensated for heroics it comes with the territory no?
You make a fair point but for me it's a connection with the players that I'll never have with some guy in a suit.

Growing up these guys are your heroes and even now as an adult it hasn't changed much. There's something special with the guys on your team you can never have with an owner.

That's why I'll always be more sympathetic to the players in these negotiations. Yeah they might be rich too, and some of them are greedy. But as a hardcore fan you have a bond with these players.

Look around HF. Players in most of the avatars. Have yet to see an avatar of an owner. Everyone admires the players more, it's not just me. But apparently most of you can take those goggles off when it comes down to business. I can't.

Old
12-08-2012, 07:43 PM
Krishna

Owners AINEC

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 07:47 PM
Machinehead
#SearchForMcDonagh

Now Don Fehr is a different story. He's not a player. Don't get me started on that scum.

And yes the player ****ed up majorly when they hired him, but I'll get over it.

Old
12-09-2012, 02:27 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
You make a fair point but for me it's a connection with the players that I'll never have with some guy in a suit.

Growing up these guys are your heroes and even now as an adult it hasn't changed much. There's something special with the guys on your team you can never have with an owner.

That's why I'll always be more sympathetic to the players in these negotiations. Yeah they might be rich too, and some of them are greedy. But as a hardcore fan you have a bond with these players.

Look around HF. Players in most of the avatars. Have yet to see an avatar of an owner. Everyone admires the players more, it's not just me. But apparently most of you can take those goggles off when it comes down to business. I can't.
I totally agree that the players are heros to many people, but why does that make them right it business? Many players take cheap shots publicly about their employers and Bettman but you don't see the same from the owners. Players like Ovi complain about owner's wanting to take their money when they want no such thing. The players seem to not understand the deal and act childish because of it. Agreeing with players for the singular reason that they are hero's is strange and twisted view such as I found soldiers to be heros but I don't think they know whats best for the government.