HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12/13' Offseason/Trades/Proposals: Starting Jan 13, after players vote.

Closed Thread

Old
12-05-2012, 06:23 AM
ginner classic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
I honestly have no idea, their fans keep repeating how they want a solid second line C, or if they form a deal in which a 2nd line C is coming their way then they expect Kesler to be moved to wing. Not sure why, and cant fathom how that would be at all beneficial, but hey if their fans think itll happen then who am i to argue.
Can I explain?

1.) Kesler is hurt to start the year (that wasn't) so we needed an understudy
2.) Some Canuck fans have a myopic focus on a third line center being a checking line role
3.) We don't even have a NHL calibre third line center regardless if they are defensive or offensive. I think Malhotra has declined due to the injury and Lappy is better as a utility guy that can play anywhere on the bottom six.

Getting back to point #2.....I have no idea why this belief is still held to this day that a third line center (in minutes played) has to be a defensive oriented center? To me if you have a Jordan Staal or a Ryan Kesler as #2, your third center can be a pure offensive force, that forms the backbone of your second unit power play. Vinnie's stubborn insistence on playing a defensive 3C means we have one center that can play on the PP (Kesler plays RW on the top PP). The rest are crap. It also IMO led to the decline of both the PP and overall GF in the last half of the season and playoffs. The Canucks scoring record after Hodgson was traded was abysmal.

Hope that helps.

Old
12-05-2012, 10:28 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginner classic View Post
Can I explain?

2.) Some Canuck fans have a myopic focus on a third line center being a checking line role
3.) We don't even have a NHL calibre third line center regardless if they are defensive or offensive. I think Malhotra has declined due to the injury and Lappy is better as a utility guy that can play anywhere on the bottom six.

Getting back to point #2.....I have no idea why this belief is still held to this day that a third line center (in minutes played) has to be a defensive oriented center? To me if you have a Jordan Staal or a Ryan Kesler as #2, your third center can be a pure offensive force, that forms the backbone of your second unit power play. Vinnie's stubborn insistence on playing a defensive 3C means we have one center that can play on the PP (Kesler plays RW on the top PP). The rest are crap. It also IMO led to the decline of both the PP and overall GF in the last half of the season and playoffs. The Canucks scoring record after Hodgson was traded was abysmal.

Hope that helps.
Good points, it makes more sense now Thanks buddy.

Old
12-05-2012, 01:30 PM
Kyle Doobas
#groovystats

vCash: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginner classic View Post
Can I explain?

Hope that helps.
Good post. Some people have a myopic view about these things in general, with threads like "Perspective on the Forward Lines - Comparison to Ducks Cup Win" popping up, and people talking, for instance, about how Grabovski "isn't a #2C on a championship team".

Old
12-05-2012, 01:56 PM
ginner classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Stallone View Post
Good post. Some people have a myopic view about these things in general, with threads like "Perspective on the Forward Lines - Comparison to Ducks Cup Win" popping up, and people talking, for instance, about how Grabovski "isn't a #2C on a championship team".
Yeah I think coaches really need to play the hand they are dealt rather than fitting players to a prescribed system. The late 80's oilers had the Kid Line. If you have a defensive juggernaut like Kes that can play both ways, you have some options with the bottom two lines. I think that has what characterized the Red Wings. They have moved their system to fit the core assets they had, not the other way around.

Old
12-05-2012, 02:57 PM
WhatASaveDave

If they don't change the December 1st rfa rule, Cody Franson has to stay over seas

Old
12-05-2012, 03:08 PM
TmlHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatASaveDave View Post
If they don't change the December 1st rfa rule, Cody Franson has to stay over seas
No Subban or E. Kane either.

Old
12-05-2012, 03:23 PM
WhatASaveDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlhockeyfan View Post
No Subban or E. Kane either.
I think kane signed but no subbab, benn, kulikov, del zotto or ryan o'reilley

Old
12-05-2012, 08:52 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLaheyprobert View Post
I dont know if anyone cares, but what is colton orr doing now? is he playing? and if the nhl comes back i know caryle likes a tough guy on his team, does orr have a shot at comming back to the leafs when the lockout is over?
He's part of the lock-out so unless he goes to Europe or Asia...

Old
12-05-2012, 09:48 PM
Kingstonian84*

He's actually pretty good defensively, no shortcomings there, good average D. He also has good moves but has trouble finishing plays, he still got 47 points which was kind of shocking even though he was playing with Lupul and Kessel.

I'm sorry but 47 points when playing 1st line minutes with an elite winger on one arm and a fringe 1st liner on the other you better be able to muster up a lot more then 47 points playing with those types of players. If Bozak had gotten 55-60 points then I'd say those are decent numbers, 47 points is pathetic, lets put it this way take Kessel and Lupul away from Bozak and hes nothing more then a fringe NHL'er IMO.

Old
12-05-2012, 10:28 PM
Kyle Doobas
#groovystats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingstonian84 View Post
He's actually pretty good defensively, no shortcomings there, good average D. He also has good moves but has trouble finishing plays, he still got 47 points which was kind of shocking even though he was playing with Lupul and Kessel.

I'm sorry but 47 points when playing 1st line minutes with an elite winger on one arm and a fringe 1st liner on the other you better be able to muster up a lot more then 47 points playing with those types of players. If Bozak had gotten 55-60 points then I'd say those are decent numbers, 47 points is pathetic, lets put it this way take Kessel and Lupul away from Bozak and hes nothing more then a fringe NHL'er IMO.
So 7 points is the difference between acceptable and pathetic?

Old
12-05-2012, 10:50 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Stallone View Post
So 7 points is the difference between acceptable and pathetic?
This is a slippery slope.

We need a new trade proposal.

Old
12-06-2012, 12:46 PM
Cool Beans Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatASaveDave View Post
I think kane signed but no subbab, benn, kulikov, del zotto or ryan o'reilley
Gotta imagine the rules will not be in effect if and when they return to playing.

It's not like they would have been able to re-sign their offer, being locked out and all.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:56 PM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

Kulemin for Sutter?

Old
12-07-2012, 02:40 AM
frankthetank91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan16 View Post
Kulemin for Sutter?
Ehh I think both teams would rather just hang on to their players. Sutter is a great 3rd line C and would be a good 2nd liner. Not first though and thats what we need we already have Grabo,Jay,Bozak,Connolly,Kadri etc.

Doubt Pitt would want to trade Sutter after just acquiring him either.

Old
12-07-2012, 10:08 AM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank91 View Post
Ehh I think both teams would rather just hang on to their players. Sutter is a great 3rd line C and would be a good 2nd liner. Not first though and thats what we need we already have Grabo,Jay,Bozak,Connolly,Kadri etc.

Doubt Pitt would want to trade Sutter after just acquiring him either.
Yeah...Pittsburgh is a firm believer in having three good centers, and now that Staal has been traded, everybody knows their roles, Malkin and Crosby handle the offense, Sutter handles the PK and the defense.

Old
12-07-2012, 10:12 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Sutter wouldn't that player we are looking for IMO either.

As mentioned in the Draft thread, players like Brassard, MoJo, Peter Holland or Jenner would be a good target.

12-07-2012, 08:10 PM
Brody
Lol

vCash: 50
Time to buy low on Ryan O'Reilly

Old
12-07-2012, 09:52 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody View Post
Would be an offensive upgrade from Bozak. I like.

Who goes back?

Even buying low he won't be cheap.

Old
12-07-2012, 09:54 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Don't think they will be parting with Radar anytime soon.

Old
12-07-2012, 09:58 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Duchene then? Gonna cost.

They're the next team with 3 top 2 centers. One eventually will go. Rather not get Stastny.

Old
12-07-2012, 10:13 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
Duchene then? Gonna cost.

They're the next team with 3 top 2 centers. One eventually will go. Rather not get Stastny.
If anyone we'd be going for stastny tbh.

Old
12-07-2012, 10:18 PM
Community
Former TMLKesselftw

vCash: 4064
Think we could pry Krejci out of Boston? If Seguin eventually does get moved back to Centre, they will have 3 top 6 (top line?) centres in Seguin, Bergeron, and Krejci...

I know it'd cost, but I like Krejci and think he would be a good fit for our #1C hole.

Old
12-07-2012, 11:44 PM
Brody
Lol

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
All the Avs fans are acting like he'll be traded, 100%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLKesselftw View Post
Think we could pry Krejci out of Boston? If Seguin eventually does get moved back to Centre, they will have 3 top 6 (top line?) centres in Seguin, Bergeron, and Krejci...

I know it'd cost, but I like Krejci and think he would be a good fit for our #1C hole.
Why would Boston trade a "#1 C" in their own division? That'd raise his price even more, it'll cost too much for us.

Old
12-07-2012, 11:48 PM
Avs44

vCash: 130
Quote:
All the Avs fans are acting like he'll be traded, 100%.
You might wish to go check out our board before saying this...its much closer to all Avs fans stating we will keep him, than all Avs fans stating he will go.

Old
12-08-2012, 12:21 AM
Kyle Doobas
#groovystats

Quote:
Except that he had a great year and it's not a "buy low" scenario at all

Closed Thread