HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lockout Discussion Thread 3.0

Closed Thread

Old
12-07-2012, 11:42 PM
Nashy
The Honey Badger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
I'm accountant too and I see the owner game from 10 miles away... If they get a KO with this lockout(which look like it will happen) and every team make a profit you will see every single team value double. They are indeed playing the bully game to make sure that hockey become an easy money business... Oh yeah another prediction, 2 more expansion in the next 3 years following the lockout!
I hope you're wrong on this point. The talent pool is too diluted as it is.
I would prefer to see contraction, or even re-location before the NHL spreads itself too thin yet again.

Old
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
You know what the funny thing is? My brother is a CA, and he doesn't actually have that much more a sophisticated opinion on these matters than some of the pro-owner posters here.
Not sure what this proves.

Old
OneSharpMarble

If the owners were so worried about how the league is doing why would they be pushing hard for a 10 year deal? You would think they would be nervous and would want a short deal so they can make adjustments and claw back in case of losses but no. For instance would they be pissed if the last cba had been for another 5 years? It is pretty damn obvious they want to lock in the players while they reap the rewards of the growth they see coming.

A lot of posters bought ole garys blinking twitching face hook line and sinker.

Old
12-07-2012, 11:43 PM
Forsead

Damphousse is saying the players should have taken the offer, because it was an honest one and now the owners will be less ''moderate''. I guess he is wrong too

Old
12-07-2012, 11:45 PM
Nashy
The Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
If the owners were so worried about how the league is doing would they be pushing hard for a 10 year deal? You would think they would be nervous and would want a short deal so they can make adjustments but no they want to lock the players in for 10 years to whatever they can bully them into.

The reason the owners want a 10 year deal is simply so they have one more bargaining chip to bend the players over with. They know the players want a 5 year deal, so if the owners move to less than 10 years, they can call it a concession.

Old
12-07-2012, 11:45 PM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CN_paladin View Post
Union leaders have to stir up unnecessary trouble in order to justify their existence. We aren't talking about capitalists hiring and abusing 13 year olds nowadays.

The Habs are far away from being a contender in the near future so missing one year is really not a big deal. I will chuckle when Fehr single-handedly ends the career of his 250 brainwashed puppets though.
Missing this season is most decidedly a very big deal for the Habs. Hope you enjoy our 19th overall pick after the post lockout sham draft.

Old
12-07-2012, 11:46 PM
tdecheno

Quote:
I'm accountant too and I see the owner game from 10 miles away... If they get a KO with this lockout(which look like it will happen) and every team make a profit you will see every single team value double. They are indeed playing the bully game to make sure that hockey become an easy money business... Oh yeah another prediction, 2 more expansion in the next 3 years following the lockout!
Holy crap I'll have some of what you're smoking. No way ANY team doubles in value, let alone the poorer franchises down south. Any NOOOO way is there an expansion any time soon, let alone TWO. Are you 'fing serious??

Old
Forsead

Quote:
If the owners were so worried about how the league is doing would they be pushing hard for a 10 year deal? You would think they would be nervous and would want a short deal so they can make adjustments but no they want to lock the players in for 10 years to whatever they can bully them into.

More the length of the CBA is, less chance there will be another damn lockout and that's the best for the league and the fans, I don't know what you're talking about.

Old
DAChampion

Quote:
Good post.

Plausible expansion markets: Quebec City, Seattle, Las Vegas, Hartford, Houston, in my opinion.

Old
12-07-2012, 11:47 PM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdecheno View Post
Who said I was comparing myself? lol....the whole point is, the players cried poor in '04-'05 and then proceded to make more money than they have ever had in the past. And the same will happen again....it's all a big waste of time cause of their greed. They want it all, right away. Heaven forbid the owners take a few more years to pay it off.

GIMME GIMME GIMME by the players. The owners/gm's/coaches work way more hours than any player does.
This post pretty shows you have no idea what this lock-out is about.

Players are NOT ASKING FOR MORE, just losing less.

Its not about how many hour you work, has nothing to do with it. I don't know why you keep bringing that to the conversation. NFL players plays once a week, for 16 weeks! WHATTTT??? Drew Breeze makes 25M$ a ****ing year by working once a week? THE HORROR. Give him 50K$ a year.. it should be enough and its way more than the average joe!

These players are the best of the best in the entire ****ing world. Would you pay big money to see me play skating 5MP/H? That's why they are paid in millions.. just like the NBA, NFL and MLB. You understand why they are making millions now? And why their salary is NOT based on how many hours they work?

Old
12-07-2012, 11:49 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Good post.

Plausible expansion markets: Quebec City, Seattle, Las Vegas, Hartford, Houston, in my opinion.
Kansas city, Markham/Hamilton another ontario city, maybe Saskatoon ?

Old
12-07-2012, 11:50 PM
Nashy
The Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
Maybe a team in the GTA? so Toronto fans could finally have an NHL team.......sorry I just couldn't help myself.

Old
12-07-2012, 11:51 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Wikipedia says that Saskatoon has a metropolitain population of 260,000 people.

Not a plausible expansion market imo :-)

I also have trouble imagining a second team in Toronto.

Old
12-07-2012, 11:54 PM
bsl

Quote:
**** the players!! The scrub making 550K per year for playing 12 mins(and that's generous mins) makes $559 per minute. Go F yourself....Crosby's of the world playing 22 mins makes close to 5K per minute. Cry me a f'ing river....
Watch out for people who say cry me a river, in my experience.

Old
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Wikipedia says that Saskatoon has a metropolitain population of 260,000 people.

Not a plausible expansion market imo :-)

I also have trouble imagining a second team in Toronto.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there is alot of money is Saskatoon and remember that it would surely be Saskatchewan team on the long term so about 1 million population.

About Toronto and ontario that could be right though, it would hurt Buffalo too much.

Old
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Watch out for people who say cry me a river, in my experience.
Justin Timberlake is on your watch list?

Old
12-07-2012, 11:57 PM
tdecheno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Scuderia View Post
This post pretty shows you have no idea what this lock-out is about.

Players are NOT ASKING FOR MORE, just losing less.

Its not about how many hour you work, has nothing to do with it. I don't know why you keep bringing that to the conversation. NFL players plays once a week, for 16 weeks! WHATTTT??? Drew Breeze makes 25M$ a ****ing year by working once a week? THE HORROR. Give him 50K$ a year.. it should be enough and its way more than the average joe!

These players are the best of the best in the entire ****ing world. Would you pay big money to see me play skating 5MP/H? That's why they are paid in millions.. just like the NBA, NFL and MLB. You understand why they are making millions now? And why their salary is NOT based on how many hours they work?
LOL, NFL is even more of a joke. Hmmmm, let me think...oh yeah, they avoided a lock out because the Drew Brees' of the NFL world realized how grossly overpaid they are.

All I'm saying is if you're getting paid $560/minute(minimum wage) while you work (game time), and paying NOTHING to travel North America every week or so, get lodged in nice hotels, get free meals and training sessions, access to state of the art training facilities and countless other perks, stop f'ing whining about 5 year max contract terms and insignifigant things of the sort...

Old
12-08-2012, 12:02 AM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
Holy crap I'll have some of what you're smoking. No way ANY team doubles in value, let alone the poorer franchises down south. Any NOOOO way is there an expansion any time soon, let alone TWO. Are you 'fing serious??
If every team in the league make money they will double their value as their profit of let's say for columbus of 10M$ over 10 years is 100M$. Add-in the inflation and the new expansion money and yes at the end of the next CBA on a owner friendly CBA the value of the franchise will double. Of course i highly doubt the mapple leaf will double their value but it would still definately raise. Making profit of 5% on all capital asset (10M$ on 200M$ assets)of team is huge in our current economy. That would significantly raise the value of the franchise even if the demand does not raise. They are basically turning the 7% part of the players pie to themselves into profit...

Old
12-08-2012, 12:03 AM
tdecheno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Scuderia View Post
NFL players plays once a week, for 16 weeks! WHATTTT??? Drew Breeze makes 25M$ a ****ing year by working once a week? THE HORROR. Give him 50K$ a year.. it should be enough and its way more than the average joe!

These players are the best of the best in the entire ****ing world.
Awesome analogy. At least NFL players HAVE to perform to earn their millions. Let the NHL owner's bring non guaranteed contracts to the table, then we'll see some NHL action in 2020. NHL players are the 2nd most spoiled athletes among the top 4 sports while being the 4th most popular. Suck it up princesses and play some god damn hockey!!!

Old
12-08-2012, 12:03 AM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
More the length of the CBA is, less chance there will be another damn lockout and that's the best for the league and the fans, I don't know what you're talking about.
WHAT? The players would have signed the same CBA in a heartbeat and we would be watching hockey right now! If you didn't notice the owners called for a lockout and wanted one a long time ago. This lockout and EVERY lockout is done solely at the benefit of the OWNERS, the players aren't gaining a damn thing.

Old
12-08-2012, 12:08 AM
LyricalLyricist

It's quite entertaining to see people stick up for players or owners. At this point, they don't care about you. Not on this forum but on TSN we see people pro players and saying drop ticket prices. Yah, as if players would agree to that. lol

It's just a business guys.

Old
12-08-2012, 12:08 AM
tdecheno

Quote:
If every team in the league make money they will double their value as their profit of let's say for columbus of 10M$ over 10 years is 100M$. Add-in the inflation and the new expansion money and yes at the end of the next CBA on a owner friendly CBA the value of the franchise will double. Of course i highly doubt the mapple leaf will double their value but it would still definately raise. Making profit of 5% on all capital asset (10M$ on 200M$ assets)of team is huge in our current economy. That would significantly raise the value of the franchise even if the demand does not raise. They are basically turning the 7% part of the players pie to themselves into profit...
Great, and at the end of it all, the players will still be cashing in insane amounts of money. Im no economist, but aren't all business owners in it to make money? The players make their money if they perform or not and if the team wins or loses. The owners have ALL the risk, only normal they're looking for a little more.

Old
12-08-2012, 12:12 AM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
It's quite entertaining to see people stick up for players or owners. At this point, they don't care about you. Not on this forum but on TSN we see people pro players and saying drop ticket prices. Yah, as if players would agree to that. lol

It's just a business guys.
Nobody said they did. The argument is really about whose greed is holding this situation up more.

Old
12-08-2012, 12:12 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Great, and at the end of it all, the players will still be cashing in insane amounts of money. Im no economist, but aren't all business owners in it to make money? The players make their money if they perform or not and if the team wins or loses. The owners have ALL the risk, only normal they're looking for a little more.
Besides the point really. Owners want more profitability. They want a safer and more profitable industry. People can complain if they want but that expands the games then there's 50 more NHL players collecting top dollar.

The NHL isn't as strong as other leagues. I think if players take less now, there's more for them later.

Within reason of course. Revenue sharing and all that jazz contribute to a stable league.

Old
12-08-2012, 12:14 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Nobody said they did. The argument is really about whose greed is holding this situation up more.
Demands, both are legally allowed to do what they do. I don't that offense to either really.

As I said in my previous post, I believe a cut now means more for players later with stuff like expansion occuring. That's just my take.

Closed Thread