HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL Lockout XXIV: Oi! Get your filthy hands off my desert!

Closed Thread

Old
12-07-2012, 11:48 PM
hockeyfan2k11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKING30 View Post
Going Nuclear IMO means we won't have hockey for at least 2 full seasons as one side will pull the cap or attempt too and the other side will attempt to pull guaranteed contracts. That would be a 2 year lockout minimum at best I think.
And the league would be no more. The sheer idiocy of both sides (mainly the players) is baffling.

Old
12-07-2012, 11:48 PM
NYRKING30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
By that time, half the players wont even have money anymore. The owners will.
Yeah that and that 3.3 billion share wouldn't nearly be half that amount when they eventually would return.

Old
12-07-2012, 11:49 PM
IcemanTBI

NHL need to threaten with a drop dead date. Thats the only time this thing will get resolved. Bettman needs to say.. Deal by january 15, or season done. Trust me, after what happened on Thursday, there wont be any deal until the season is on the line.

Old
12-07-2012, 11:53 PM
IcemanTBI

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
Just out of curiosity, how many people would actually be interested in an NHL season that started late January, early February at the latest?

Personally, I don't know if I'll be keeping up too much if the season is below 50 games or starts as late as February. Beginning of January is the cut-off for me
They need to get 48 games in. Minimum. Like in 1994... No way they could.award the cup to a team.playing less games.than that.

Old
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKING30 View Post
I still think that is a long,long shot to happen, the players no they would be setting them selves up for a long war that will end with them begging for mercy. They can't be that stupid can they?
Without Fehr, no. With Fehr i'm not so sure.

Old
bishop12
Ovyously

I hope the NHL sucks for a long time. That close to a deal..and now we're back to S Fehr and Bill Daly contacting each other.

Old
CheerstoBeers

I am totally baffled..If this is the best offer the NHL can make then why are the players holding out? If they lose a season over this why would the players think the offer will ever get any better from the owners..Do they think that suddenly in the off season that the owners will cave and offer something much better?? If the players are that hell bent on holding out for what they want then why do people even consider a season next year or the year after?? I see so many people saying this season will be cancelled and talking like there will be a season next year..Why would one side cave after all of this BS?? I just don't see it or get it....If they can't get a deal done then it's gonna take something very drastic probably in a court of law to get the NHL back on Ice...

Old
bishop12
Ovyously

ANyone else hate Bill Daly more than Bettman like I do? He's really catching up in the sniffling department. What a chump. Belongs on a farm somewhere.

Old
12-07-2012, 11:54 PM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheerstoBeers View Post
I am totally baffled..If this is the best offer the NHL can make then why are the players holding out? If they lose a season over this why would the players think the offer will ever get any better from the owners..Do they think that suddenly in the off season that the owners will cave and offer something much better?? If the players are that hell bent on holding out for what they want then why do people even consider a season next year or the year after?? I see so many people saying this season will be cancelled and talking like there will be a season next year..Why would one side cave after all of this BS?? I just don't see it or get it....If they can't get a deal done then it's gonna take something very drastic probably in a court of law to get the NHL back on Ice...
Because, every CBA it's the players job to give up more, and they're so sick of that same old pattern that some of them would rather be unemployed.

Old
12-07-2012, 11:57 PM
wilty00

vCash: 1004
Wow Russo and Walsh are really goin at it.

Walsh is like the Donald Trump of these negotiations minus 99% of the wealth/success and 100% of the hair.

Old
12-07-2012, 11:58 PM
1ntrovert*

Quote:
Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
Because, every CBA it's the players job to give up more, and they're so sick of that same old pattern that some of them would rather be unemployed.
lol

as the infamous words went "don't let the door hit you on the way out".

Old
12-08-2012, 12:01 AM
Scottkmlps

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilty00 View Post
Wow Russo and Walsh are really goin at it.

Walsh is like the Donald Trump of these negotiations minus 99% of the wealth/success and 100% of the hair.
I'm sure Walsh will block Russo any moment now. That's the way Walsh works. Gets called out, argues for a bit, looks like a jack*** with his statements, than quickly blocks the person he was arguing with.
Walsh just needs to shut his trap. I would be embarrassed if I was a player that was represented by Walsh.

Old
12-08-2012, 12:04 AM
wilty00

vCash: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottkmlps View Post
I'm sure Walsh will block Russo any moment now. That's the way Walsh works. Gets called out, argues for a bit, looks like a jack*** with his statements, than quickly blocks the person he was arguing with.
I'm familiar with the process, he blocked me 2-3 weeks ago.

If I was a client of his I would be overwhelmed with second-hand embarrassment with how he's behaved.

I understand he's there to promote and do what's best for his clients, but he is THE definition of a pompous windbag.

Old
12-08-2012, 12:04 AM
CheerstoBeers

Quote:
Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
I just have to laugh at players fighting so hard for what they were totally against in 04-05..Same thing will happen this time around, if they can get this CBA done players will still be incredibly overpaid and making millions..Players will get their money, all of a sudden the NHL isnt gonna stop making players wealthy for doing something they love to do..suck it up, sign the deal and if ya wanna get paid top dollar go work your guts out and prove you deserve it and you'll get it..All of this BS will be irrelevant in time

Old
12-08-2012, 12:05 AM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ntrovert View Post
lol

as in the infamous words went "don't let the door hit you on the way out"
Let's face it, these guys have 1st world problems. They will never go back to nothing and likely have an easy financial cushion back home. People like us would think they'd eventually act out of desperation but in reality these are people whose families could afford their dreams in the first place. The NHL has no problem telling them that they are the problem, they need to give up more, and when they do there is still a certainty they will be forced to negotiate again in 7 years. Therefore, they`re all butt-hurt and showing the league, and us, how ridiculous this whole thing is.

Last edited by ThirdManIn: 12-08-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Old
12-08-2012, 12:05 AM
ltrangerfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
Both sides have come out looking like children with big wallets here. And I honestly believe that, if the season is cancelled, the PA will put the cap back on the table.
There have never been any winning moves for the players. The whole negotiation has been about limiting losses.

They could try to burn the owners houses down but at what cost to them?

If the players truly want to get back at the owners, they should strive to make the league more profitable. There is no way an owner would walk away from a business generating real profits.

Last edited by ltrangerfan: 12-08-2012 at 12:11 AM.
Old
12-08-2012, 12:09 AM
onlyalad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Every "last, final offer" has been bettered by another "last, final offer". The players are not being "brainwashed", the owners are showing them that Fehr is right.
The owners have never said last offer. Fehr said someone said it when he was out of the room. The owners didn't call this offer their last best offer. They said there were a few things they would not budge on and the offer on the table was a package deal. They did say that they was room to talk on pensions and some other items.
I think if the players had said they would take the contract issue the owners wanted if the NHL would up their transition money and then the NHL said ok we will take the contracts but only give you 25 % of the money, many here would be calling the owners out for it. Especially if they had been saying for a week prior that they wanted a whole package deal.

I think that the owners were mad at how things went Wednesday and Thursday and then hearing Fehr say all was going great while misrepresenting the owners offer upset even the stoic Bettman.

I don't think it is as bad as it looks. They are closer than they have ever been. The owners have drawn a line in the sand. They have stated that line to the world. Now the players just need to draw their wants around that line.

Old
12-08-2012, 12:09 AM
Jesus Teemu

vCash: 50
I love how Russo is putting Walsh's handle at the end of his tweet just like Walsh does

Old
12-08-2012, 12:11 AM
wolffy66

I still cant wrap my head around how the players can justify playing hockey overseas for way less money than the NHL is offering. All the while refusing to agree to the current offer. Or at least speaking out in favor of it. "I'll play in Sweden for 1/20th of my salary but no way I'm willing to play for anything close to that here." Really?

Old
12-08-2012, 12:14 AM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyalad View Post
The owners have never said last offer.
Bettman has said it in one form or another 3 times now.

Old
12-08-2012, 12:18 AM
IBleedNYRBlue

Are we looking at a meeting anytime soon?

Old
12-08-2012, 12:19 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post
Are we looking at a meeting anytime soon?
I guess they'll pretend to be angry during the Weekend, touch base on Monday and meet Tuesday.

You can't rush pretending to be far apart.

Old
12-08-2012, 12:20 AM
Jesus Teemu

Nothing this weekend.

Old
12-08-2012, 12:21 AM
NHL1674
Whatever...

vCash: 97
Russo

Quote:
My question is what's your end game, your motivation to trash the league hourly? Why don't other agents do it @walsha?
Excellent question, Russo. Walsh spends too much time whining, badmouthing, and fighting on twitter. Sometimes I think he's jealous that Fehr gets more attention.

Old
12-08-2012, 12:22 AM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossey3535 View Post
It's not even that the NHLPA decided to counterpropose on a 'package' offer. It's how they did it.

First of all, forget the fake presser which was clearly designed to deceive the public because Fehr knew that he had just pissed off the owners royally. The problem goes back MUCH further than that.

We know that the reason that Wednesday went slowly (which is what started to frustrate the owners) is that the players were continually consulting with Don Fehr which slowed down the process.

I don't blame the players for this since this is obviously not their skillset - although one questions WTF Steve Fehr was doing in there...just being a sack of potatoes in a bad sweater and a headset? How is that guy going to be the future NHLPA executive director? But I digress.

However, given that Don was essentially in the room with the players - why didn't they just head the owners off before they got to a 'yes/no' package offer? At any point Fehr could have said - look, I see where this is going but we know what you're going to say about e.g. CBA term. We're going to need to keep negotiating.

Even if you let that mistake go, he could have just simply said "we think we need to negotiate further - we'll have to say no but we do have a counter proposal ready if you'd like to hear it" instead of throwing a counter-proposal on the table in response to a yes/no question.

Ok, let that one go - he could have then chosen not to have a presser to whine and moan about how reasonable he thinks the NHLPA offer had been. The Daly phone call would have been answered, and the NHL presser would probably have been 'we proposed a package that they said no to, we're going to continue to negotiate'.

There were multiple outs here that Fehr could have taken but chose not to. To me that speaks of willfully sabotaging these proceedings. And I don't mean that they shouldn't have counter-proposed. They should have treated the situation more delicately considering they were negotiating directly with the MODERATES who write the paycheques.
Giving this a bump because its solid and probably gets ignored by the pro player people. I think fehr is just enjoying making bettman mad right now. Up to the players to stop that and sign a deal tho. Still think it's nearing the conclusion.

Closed Thread