HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12'-13' Draft Thread: Drouin & Monahan are LR's pick, what are yours?

Closed Thread

Old
12-07-2012, 11:08 AM
Kulemon

vCash: 500
One player who I think could rise into the top 3 after the WJC would be Elias Lindholm. Look out for him. I think he'll be playing on the top line for Sweden with Forsberg and Collberg on his wings. He's really good.

Old
12-07-2012, 11:22 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
One player who I think could rise into the top 3 after the WJC would be Elias Lindholm. Look out for him. I think he'll be playing on the top line for Sweden with Forsberg and Collberg on his wings. He's really good.
Gonna have my eyes glued on to her.

12-07-2012, 12:20 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Not really good comparisons. Mackinnon is one of the premier center prospects since Stamkos arguably. RNH can compete with that ofc but I am not going to put that on him after one season.

Drouin I've seen since last year and he's more of a Giroux clone to me. Reason why I said as soon as this season began was due to his over flowing skill on the ice. However out of the two, the one who is mostly sound and can be a game changer is Mackinnon.

As regards to Klatzy's post on us targetting Jenner, I really can see that tbh. If I recall correctly, Jenner was one of Burke's target as well along with one of the goalies was he not in the second round? Or was it he was just interviewed by us quite a bit. I hope it comes true, as he is a home town boy and also plays mostly with Biggs.

I feel like players that we think are locks on our team are going to move more after this deal is done and during the draft day. I hope our prospects like Colborne, Kadri, Frattin and others gives us a solid chance to have more chips on the table to make some sweet deals for players who are backlogged due to depth. Players we should be aiming for should be Brassard after jackets acquiring Anisimov, and Dubinsky. I am not mentioning Johansen as he is their projected first line center for the franchise.

Mikael Backlund, Peter Holland, and so on.

However from this draft I hope we can create some magic and get a top 3 - 5 pick, along a bottom 1st rounded for players such as Nurse, Fucale and so on.

I'd almost expect Colborne to be dealt. He needs a change of scenery badly. Hopefully Burke can use his injury to downplay his struggles and use his fast start last year to get some decent value for him.

Quote:
I think there will be a deal by then but not before they announce the season is cancelled.

Lol I remember swearing the day Galy was announced on the podium by the habs.

I am happy as well Rielly however I still hope he polishes his defensive game. I know it's not bad but it's not as great as it could be. I know he is an offensive defensemen, but his role is to be a defensemen and I hope he makes that his priority.

I am as well curious on what happens if we are able to get our hands on Seth Jones and who becomes expendable from our blue line prospect area.
Rielly was drafted to play a high offensive game as a dman. Trying to make him not that would be to waste his talent.

Old
12-07-2012, 01:13 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinnishKulemin View Post
I'd almost expect Colborne to be dealt. He needs a change of scenery badly. Hopefully Burke can use his injury to downplay his struggles and use his fast start last year to get some decent value for him.

Rielly was drafted to play a high offensive game as a dman. Trying to make him not that would be to waste his talent.
I can definitely see it happening. I really like Colborne though and hope he figures it out with us than another team, however if the return is good I won't cry.

I know he was drafted to be a wizard in the back end but in the end of it all, defense is what wins and is what's needed.

Old
12-07-2012, 01:14 PM
mapes

Quote:
He's one guy I'm definitely watching. There is probably 6 "top 3" guys. This draft is a great one to watch especially for a *gulp* CENTER.

Not sure if Monohan or Drouin will play in the Juniors if there is a lockout still (which is likely). Im a big Drouin homer and jumped on the bandwagon when he scored the OT winner in game 7 last year to que the 3-0 series comeback. He is actually naturally a center, as well, but plays with Nate so plays LW. I think he could play both at the NHL level. I really want the world to see what skills Drouin and Nate have together, they have insane chemistry.

Old
12-07-2012, 04:22 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Quote:
Absolutely love this kid. I've only watched 4 games of his in the SEL this year but he has been great. Definitely a centre in the NHL, its obvious player RW is affecting him by limiting his playmaking ability.

Old
12-07-2012, 04:31 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurke View Post
Absolutely love this kid. I've only watched 4 games of his in the SEL this year but he has been great. Definitely a centre in the NHL, its obvious player RW is affecting him by limiting his playmaking ability.
I'm pretty excited to see him in the WJC's. I haven't had the opportunity to see him yet but I love what I hear. I want to see what he does with time at center, and hopefully with that time being significant.

Old
12-07-2012, 06:07 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Quote:
I'm pretty excited to see him in the WJC's. I haven't had the opportunity to see him yet but I love what I hear. I want to see what he does with time at center, and hopefully with that time being significant.
This years WJC will be fantastic. Barkov and Lindholm particularly will be amazing to watch.

Old
12-07-2012, 06:45 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

I'm excited to see these kids on showcase. I think a lot of kids are going to silence any critics.

Should be fun. 4am puck drop FTW!!!

Old
12-07-2012, 06:51 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
I'm excited to see these kids on showcase. I think a lot of kids are going to silence any critics.

Should be fun. 4am puck drop FTW!!!
Thank god for PVR. World Juniors is my favorite sports tournament.

Can't wait to see Barkov, Lindholm and hopefully Nate (hope he makes it). I'd like to see what Nate can do against elite talent.

Old
12-07-2012, 08:44 PM
OptimusForever
#teambernier

vCash: 50
Lazar scores a big one timer

Old
12-07-2012, 10:44 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurke View Post
This years WJC will be fantastic. Barkov and Lindholm particularly will be amazing to watch.
Definitely.

I'm also excited to De La Rose if he makes the Swedish team.

Biggs and Gaudereau (him particularly) from the US.

Slepyshev from Russia.

And obviously Rielly

Old
12-08-2012, 12:53 AM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Quote:
Definitely.

I'm also excited to De La Rose if he makes the Swedish team.

Biggs and Gaudereau (him particularly) from the US.

Slepyshev from Russia.

And obviously Rielly
I actually got a chance to watch de la Rose a bit last year while watching Forsberg play for Leksand. He was very noticeable on the ice. I'm confident he will have a strong world juniors, Sweden's team is not looking as weak as people are making it out to be without Zibanejad/Klefbom/Brodin. I think losing Brodin is a massive hit though.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:11 AM
Rob Brown
Way She Goes

Having seen Mackinnon and Drouin play a lot, I'm definitely hoping to get one of them. I honestly think Drouin would be great playing with Kessel, just feeding him the puck. But the WJC will be great to see some other top prospects, obviously Barkov.

Old
12-08-2012, 12:14 PM
Interactif

Ryan Pulock returned to Brandon's lineup yesterday after being out due to taking a puck in the face. 1 assist in another Brandon 5-2 loss.

His value to the team, his defence partner Tyler Yaworski prior to Pulock being hurt a team high +15 on the team, when Ryan was out he was -6.

Top 10 pick will likely use the The Team Canada snub to motivate him.

Old
12-08-2012, 12:21 PM
Interactif

Jason Dickinson continues to make me believe he will be a very solid first rd next year, I really like this kid. Guelph has a good one here. I think he will be a more valuable player then Domi in the NHL.

Old
12-08-2012, 12:28 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Also regarding the best prospect in this draft, I don't think it's Jones tbh. I like him, quite a bit and am very impressed by the way he has gotten used to the WHL game but Mackinnon or Barkov gets the nod for me to be prolly the best of the bunch.

However maybe he can surprise and these three become like the Lindros, Neidermayer and Forsberg of the draft.
I wouldn't be one bit surprised when we look back on this draft years from now Jones will be the biggest difference maker to his team. By that I don't mean flashiest, most points, all the obvious things. But I mean he can be a Chara like difference maker to his team. Difficult to play against that improves his team and teammates around him. I could easily see him going number 1, though I have a feeling it will still likely be Mackinnon.

Old
12-08-2012, 12:51 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Or he could end up like Aki Berg. He was taken 3rd overall...

Last edited by ULF_55: 12-08-2012 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Moderators do not decide privileges, nor are they responsible for your actions.
Old
12-08-2012, 12:59 PM
Interactif

I thought it was Kari Lehtonen.

Old
12-08-2012, 03:00 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

C Lazar 30 13 10 23
G Chase 28 7 14 21

Still thinking Chase might be a mover this year.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
12-08-2012, 03:11 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
C Lazar 30 13 10 23
G Chase 28 7 14 21

Still thinking Chase might be a mover this year.
I'm assuming the Lazar part was in terms of a comparison?

Chase seems interesting. Not huge height wise but very solid. I'm assuming he's a similar type player to what Lazar is currently?

The reason Lazar is so interesting to me isn't just how good he is at the defensive side of things. It's his offensive potential. He's virtually locked out of the top line (similar to Horvat in London) because of the talent in front of him. He just doesn't get oppurtunities like some other potential draftees have.

Chase seems like he could be a nice latish round puck though with some nice potential.

Old
12-08-2012, 03:15 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
I'm assuming the Lazar part was in terms of a comparison?

Chase seems interesting. Not huge height wise but very solid. I'm assuming he's a similar type player to what Lazar is currently?

The reason Lazar is so interesting to me isn't just how good he is at the defensive side of things. It's his offensive potential. He's virtually locked out of the top line (similar to Horvat in London) because of the talent in front of him. He just doesn't get oppurtunities like some other potential draftees have.

Chase seems like he could be a nice latish round puck though with some nice potential.
Hitman are an older team, and Rask came back 8 games ago from the AHL.

I've been impressed with Chase's hands, and seems to have decent footwork. He's won a couple games in the shoot-out as well.

Old
12-08-2012, 03:21 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Two interesting players that could bring some good late round value.

Saku Salminen. A 6 foot 3, 200 pound Finn currently on Jokerit. He'll likely be on the Finnish WJC team.He's a rookie in the SM-Liiga.

Axel Blomqvist. A 6 foot 5 (or 6 foot 6 depending on what site you consult) rookie RW for the Lethbridge Hurricanes. 20 points in 32 games.

Old
12-08-2012, 03:26 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Hitman are an older team, and Rask came back 8 games ago from the AHL.

I've been impressed with Chase's hands, and seems to have decent footwork. He's won a couple games in the shoot-out as well.
Nice. I haven't seen him at all, so thanks for the info. I'll have to keep my eye out for him.

Old
12-08-2012, 03:33 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Also interesting

Vincent Dunn, Laurent Dauphin, Stephen Harper (playing with Connor Brown), and Ryan Hartman.

Likely 2nd, 3rd round talents that could, maybe sneak up.

Closed Thread