Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

2012 CBA/Lockout talk, It's not looking good VI

Closed Thread

Old
12-07-2012, 05:58 PM
bb74

vCash: 500
Fehr doesn't give a crap about the NHL as a sport, he just sees the extra cash flow from the rich teams that is off limits due to the CBA and is doing everything he can to get his hands on it.

Fehrs perfect world is Toronto becoming the Yankees and everyone else tagging along.

The PA is just stooooopid to walk away from what they had in their hands yesterday. My take is season is dead just after the new year, PA decertifies and loses court battle, Fehr gone by September, new union, and players start with a massive cut on salaries for the next 5 years.

Guys are just dumb to leave that much $$ on the table. They will NEVER get it back. Never...

Friggin idiots.

Old
12-07-2012, 06:19 PM
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns

Great to see ESPN doesn't give a **** about yesterday. No debate about it on ATH & like 10 seconds about it on PTI

Old
12-07-2012, 06:21 PM
BrainOfJ
Call it a comeback

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb74 View Post
Fehr doesn't give a crap about the NHL as a sport, he just sees the extra cash flow from the rich teams that is off limits due to the CBA and is doing everything he can to get his hands on it.

Fehrs perfect world is Toronto becoming the Yankees and everyone else tagging along.

The PA is just stooooopid to walk away from what they had in their hands yesterday. My take is season is dead just after the new year, PA decertifies and loses court battle, Fehr gone by September, new union, and players start with a massive cut on salaries for the next 5 years.

Guys are just dumb to leave that much $$ on the table. They will NEVER get it back. Never...

Friggin idiots.
You're naive to think anyone in the process does.

Old
12-07-2012, 07:21 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsABruin View Post
Great to see ESPN doesn't give a **** about yesterday. No debate about it on ATH & like 10 seconds about it on PTI
I haven't seen PTI in years, but I'd rather they ignore the whole thing instead of debate something they know less than nothing about.

ESPN (the TV division; LeBrun, Burnside and Strang do a very good job on ESPN.com) doesn't give a **** about hockey, period.

Old
12-07-2012, 07:23 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
I can only imagine if the season is done what happens next.

Will teams relocate? sponser bail? the draft?

These are two groups with the equivalent of industry bombs in their possession and they or one is willing to use it.

The lockout/ missed season in 2004-5 before didn't really bother me because of what it was about- supposedly competitive balance,,,this is just wrong

I will say this though- when the drop dead date is set Donald Fehr will be fired before he lets it pass (there are a lot of dazed and confused hockey players who are going to start realizing Mark Recchi aint a dumbass after all)

Old
12-07-2012, 07:27 PM
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns

A few people on ATH know bout hockey

Bob Ryan
Tim Calishaw
Jackie Mac

think 1 or 2 others do

Old
12-07-2012, 07:28 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Speaking of ESPN.com, a good, balanced rundown by Burnside. Worth a read:

Quote:
...for all the chaos of the past 48 hours and the resounding thud with which talks ended, call us crazy, but we still think a deal gets done. Too much is at stake for both sides to get this close and not get the game back on the ice. Bettman said he can’t imagine playing a schedule of less than 48 games, so we’re guessing games would have to start no later than the end of the month. We are hearing some quiet buzz about a New Year’s Eve or New Year’s Day start. Works for us.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...e-cba-wreckage

Old
12-07-2012, 10:00 PM
BergyDGD
Hockey season yet?

I don't care who's to blame at this point, I'm just sick. Not even mad, just depressed. Literally didn't eat today. Probably not healthy to be this vested in anything.

Old
12-07-2012, 10:29 PM
Hnidy Hnight

Quote:
Espn has it right. Its a mickey mouse league that self destructs like an alcoholic. They dont deserve airtime, most Americans dont care

Old
12-07-2012, 10:38 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hnidy Hnight View Post
Espn has it right. Its a mickey mouse league that self destructs like an alcoholic. They dont deserve airtime, most Americans dont care
Bingo. ESPN isn't stupid. They know a majority of the SPORTS WATCHING public (not even just public) don't even bother with the NHL. Nobody cares. These sides need to realize that IMO. The owners have a product that 99% of the American public won't miss. The players play a sport where the fanbase is very small, but passionate, and will spend money on them, but they (meaning both) can only alienate so much. We all miss hockey, but we can easily live without it if it had to be..and if we diehards that post on a message board daily can do that, how about the casual fan?...It would suck, but life would go on and we would all still chat here about the gold old days.

Only 17 shopping days until Christmas...are these parties really going to assure us of no tickets in our stockings for the 2nd time in what 7 years? **** em.

Old
12-07-2012, 11:43 PM
Montecristo

I can't believe how stupid the players and owners are.

To the players: you guys aint the NFL. if the owners want to win, they will win. you don't make enough money on the whole to with stand a couple years of bickering. hiring donald fehr won't do anything but cost you a few checks.

to the owners: if you want to cry about long contracts, just don't give them out. its that simple. and if you want the players to help get phoneix and florida and nashville out of the red. heres an idea..abolish every crapbag team that has no fans or move them to a place where they will. and then have some type of reverse expansion draft for all the players of the teams that get vanished so we can have some excitement to revitalize the very much angry fan base. the only thing that could make me happy about this lockout would be seeing the entire phoenix, florida, and nashville rosters up for grabs in a snake draft for every remaining team.

Old
12-08-2012, 12:10 AM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Bingo. ESPN isn't stupid. They know a majority of the SPORTS WATCHING public (not even just public) don't even bother with the NHL. Nobody cares. These sides need to realize that IMO. The owners have a product that 99% of the American public won't miss. The players play a sport where the fanbase is very small, but passionate, and will spend money on them, but they (meaning both) can only alienate so much. We all miss hockey, but we can easily live without it if it had to be..and if we diehards that post on a message board daily can do that, how about the casual fan?...It would suck, but life would go on and we would all still chat here about the gold old days.

Only 17 shopping days until Christmas...are these parties really going to assure us of no tickets in our stockings for the 2nd time in what 7 years? **** em.
Yah theres no reason to rip on ESPN for anything hockey related. I'd rather watch a neutral basketball/football game than an NHL game not featuring the Bruins. Sure playoff time I'd rather watch hockey than mlb but regular season thats not the case I absolutely prefer college ball or NBA over neutral regular season NHL games.

And I am a hockey fan most people aren't and I feel that way so why should ESPN screw its viewers over just for you since you are a hockey enthusiast who posts on hockey forums?

Be happy the NHL bent NBC over and got a tv deal twice as good as it deserved. I mean they SCREWED NBC. Isn't that enough for someone why resent ESPN? Their hockey coverage is pretty good considering they don't air NHL games.

People who are fans of certain things think the whole world knows/cares about that thing. For example I like skiing. On skiing message boards posters will mention skiiers like they are household names and refer to them as celebrities and being famous and I hardly know who the hell they are. How will someone who doesn't ski? Hockey is the same almost noone cares about it unless you are in Canada.

I was really ready for them to cut the crap and start playing. Now I am fine if the NHL never plays again or comes back with replacement players. Both sides are close and could have ended this before Christmas not doing so is terrible.

I hate this generation of NHLers. I give the Bruins players a pass for winning a cup and nearly all of them taking hometown discounts since. But the rest of this generation I despise. Derek Roy can jump off a cliff tweeting his ferrarri and then whining about the lockout. I can't post my thoughts on Crosby since I would get banned but its pretty sad I have such negative feelings towards the most talented player in the world.

Both sides are despicable. The players are even more so for feeling so entitled. They are just dumb kids who spent multiple hours a day on hockey skates throughout their entire life. Unlike the owners they are not individuals who have amassed fortunes while employing hundreds/thousands of people in the process. The owners of teams outside of Canada will get what is coming to them anyways.

Old
12-08-2012, 12:15 AM
Shaun
beauty

vCash: 50
Roenick dropping some knowledge:

Josh Rimer ‏@JoshRimerHockey
Jeremy Roenick was just explosive on the Nitecap! Roenick, "Don Fehr better learn to represent the players more responsibly."

More Jeremy Roenick, "Don Fehr should be telling the plalyers right now to sign the deal!!"

More Roenick, "Very surprised and very disappointed we don't have a deal yet."

Roenick, "If players r not signing deal because they r holding out for longer contracts that's a shame, 5yr deals r good enough in sports."

More Roenick, "I don't know what's Fehr is trying to do and what he's telling these players, but they are going to lose a lot of money!"

Roenick, "They will lose Millions & Millions of dollars that will never come back, because they r worried about guys in 5 or 6 yrs from now"

More Roenick, "They are not taking care of themselves right now, they r worried about taking care of the guys 5,6,or 7 yrs from now."

More Jeremy Roenick, "They are lucky I'm not in that room because I'd be standing up yelling again!"

Roenick, "I'm scared for the game right now. There's a lot of angry business people who are associated with the game."

More Roenick, "The players just better be careful and make sure that Donald Fehr has their best interest in mind."

More Roenick, "I'm a players guy, & I'll always be a players guy, but I think the deal on the table is worth signing and that's my opinion."

Roenick, "The players have given a lot don't get me wrong, but now it's time to sign a deal & Fehr should b telling them to sign a deal."

More Roenick, "A 10 year CBA to me is Great! Lets Make sure the fans don't have to deal with this CBA stuff for 10 years."

More Roenick, "When players start talking from behind the curtain that's when trouble happens."

It's too bad there are good guys like Roenick in the PA instead of idiots like Upshall, Parenteau, Bissonnette and Prust.

Old
12-08-2012, 12:49 AM
Mione134

To me it seems like there's a lot of unrest between the players. You have sources coming out that many players are pissed off.

and then you have the ones who are openly vocal about hating Bettman like Prust and everyone else.

It seems like the players arent really...standing together. At least thats what I get from it. It sucks because a deal was pretty much happening until it all blew away.

Old
12-08-2012, 05:21 AM
SpokedLightning
3rd Line Grinder

vCash: 167
Quote:
ESPN is giving the NHL all the air time it deserves. As much as we here all love NHL hockey the fact is in the U.S the NHL is a 2nd rate league (Viewership not talent)soon to be behind the MLS in popularity. Hell, the way things are going the Pro Tiddlywink League will be getting more airtime on ESPN.

I didn't even take into account NCAA basketball and football which drops the NHL down even further on ESPNs list. It's one of the things that annoys me the most about the current NHL situation. Do these guys "specifically Donald Fehr" understand the NHLs place among other sports in the U.S?

Last edited by SpokedLightning: 12-08-2012 at 05:42 AM.
Old
12-08-2012, 06:13 AM
sooshii
Living the dream

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguin4TheWin View Post
I don't care who's to blame at this point, I'm just sick. Not even mad, just depressed. Literally didn't eat today. Probably not healthy to be this vested in anything.
You're right. It's not healthy. I feel the same way for 5 seconds then I realize they're all just playing games and posturing. When they get to D Day they'll magically have a deal and there's nothing we can do about it till then.

Go out today and do some Christmas shopping. Or something. Stay off twitter. Take care of yourself.

Old
12-08-2012, 07:18 AM
GordonHowe

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle5458657/

Said again.

I am the "Superfan" in question.

God bless Ryan Miller.

Peace. Out,

GH.

Old
12-08-2012, 07:25 AM
JMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonHowe View Post

Said again.

God bless Ryan Miller.

Peace. Out,

GH.
It'd be a great protest if, on every team's opening night before the first puck is dropped, the all the "superfans" littered the ice with dollar bills. If the players and the league were willing to delay hockey for months, fans should certainly be able to for a few more minutes to have their voices heard. . .

Old
12-08-2012, 07:52 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
I can only imagine if the season is done what happens next.

Will teams relocate? sponser bail? the draft?

These are two groups with the equivalent of industry bombs in their possession and they or one is willing to use it.

The lockout/ missed season in 2004-5 before didn't really bother me because of what it was about- supposedly competitive balance,,,this is just wrong

I will say this though- when the drop dead date is set Donald Fehr will be fired before he lets it pass (there are a lot of dazed and confused hockey players who are going to start realizing Mark Recchi aint a dumbass after all)
There`s a half dozen I`d love to see plain old fold up their tents and call it a day

Love to see a league with 24 teams, heck, love to see a league with merely 16 but now I`m just talkin crazy

Old
12-08-2012, 07:58 AM
DaveFromNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
It'd be a great protest if, on every team's opening night before the first puck is dropped, the all the "superfans" littered the ice with dollar bills. If the players and the league were willing to delay hockey for months, fans should certainly be able to for a few more minutes to have their voices heard. . .
Rather than give them more of our money, how about 18,000 plastic pigs thrown on the ice...

Old
12-08-2012, 08:05 AM
Donnie Shulzhoffer

Quote:
Just what billionares and millionaires need after all this, their fans to hand over more money.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:05 AM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonHowe View Post

Said again.

God bless Ryan Miller.

Peace. Out,

GH.
Richelieu says he has seen one survey that suggest that as many as 60 per cent of Canadians claim they are not missing hockey an astonishing figure for a game that has long been the national obsession.

Add that to the 99% of Americans who don't give a **** and hopefully you have lots of empty buildings when they start up.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:12 AM
JMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFromNB View Post
Rather than give them more of our money, how about 18,000 plastic pigs thrown on the ice...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Shulzhoffer View Post
Just what billionares and millionaires need after all this, their fans to hand over more money.
Come on, it'd be like 20 bucks/head and would result in opening night media coverage of the bull gangs sweeping dollars into garbage cans as the players and fans watch. What better image for the league at the moment?

Old
12-08-2012, 08:19 AM
Donnie Shulzhoffer

Quote:
Come on, it'd be like 20 bucks/head and would result in opening night media coverage of the bull gangs sweeping dollars into garbage cans as the players and fans watch. What better image for the league at the moment?
After I just paid up to $75 or more for a ticket? No thanks, they get enough of our money.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:32 AM
WBC8

Quote:
I love the idea.... Count me in... The negative news coverage would be worth every cent... It would be on the front of every web page and every newspaper there is....Would be on all those morning shows as well...Would be super.

Closed Thread