HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 6)

Closed Thread

Old
12-07-2012, 12:01 PM
RayzorIsDull

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
I never did understand everyone's hate for Aliu. The kid was only sticking up for himself and not agreeing to participating in the stupid hazing rituals the team was doing. It was Downie that went all batty on him for it.

Yes he was a loose cannon on the ice, but why Windsor fans serenaded him with boos (he seemed to enjoy it anyways... his best games were against Windsor) is beyond me.

But look at it this way... without that whole incident, Steve Riolo would still own the team and it would no longer be in Windsor.
I only dislike Aliu because of the poor attitude he showed before the incident there were some stories about him even before the incident. I am still skeptical of the team no longer being in Windsor if Riolo was owner after all he was the one that kept the team in Windsor and ensured if the team was sold it would be sold locally.

Old
12-07-2012, 12:03 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Matt Kennedy is at the top of my list for his pretty poor me act and his dad crying to the media about what big bad Kassian did to him. After possibly retiring he has continued to play hockey since that awful hit.
I agree...to extent. I don't so much hate the player as he was more than like strung along for the ride by Williamson/the owner/agent/father and was nothing more than a pawn in the ploy to get Kassian as many games as possible.

I'm sure Kennedy only wanted to play hockey and didn't ask for the sideshow.

Old
12-07-2012, 12:07 PM
Libbs

Quote:
I only dislike Aliu because of the poor attitude he showed before the incident there were some stories about him even before the incident. I am still skeptical of the team no longer being in Windsor if Riolo was owner after all he was the one that kept the team in Windsor and ensured if the team was sold it would be sold locally.
We've seen players with bad attitudes... but why Aliu got the treatment he did is beyond me. The whole incident was spun to make it seem like Downie was the innocent and Aliu was the villain. If Downie was so innocent, why did he demand a trade out of Windsor because of it?

Had Riolo kept the team, we would have had the same mediocrity these past 7 years. No Memorial Cups, no new arena... still the laughing stock of the league. The team would still not be here (no matter how much Riolo wanted to keep it there).

Old
12-07-2012, 12:32 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
We've seen players with bad attitudes... but why Aliu got the treatment he did is beyond me. The whole incident was spun to make it seem like Downie was the innocent and Aliu was the villain. If Downie was so innocent, why did he demand a trade out of Windsor because of it?

Had Riolo kept the team, we would have had the same mediocrity these past 7 years. No Memorial Cups, no new arena... still the laughing stock of the league. The team would still not be here (no matter how much Riolo wanted to keep it there).
I think some of the Downie thing had to do with the Spits sending him home. He/his agent did not like that and as a result he demanded a trade. I think Downie was fine sticking it out in Windsor, if you recall they were supposed to try and make a run that year. They had Downie, OReilly, Garlock, Snetsinger, McFarland, Maunu, Weber, Lomas etc. They blew it up then Riolo wanted to save face and make a run.

Old
12-07-2012, 01:38 PM
jughead42

Quote:

Keep in mind, the Aliu era came immediately after the Spitfires were led by a young Downie to a victory over the hounds in the playoffs after trailing 0-3. I know there was a ton of optimism about the team because of that, so when this snot nosed punk Aliu decided he was too cool for school by demanding a trade it really was a kick in the sack. It was multiplied a thousand fold when Downie asked to leave. Now I know, the hazing stuff by Downie was pretty lame and there's no excuse for that. But that was just a symptom of the problem and not the problem itself. Had there been no hazing incident Aliu and Downie still would have butted heads. If he didn't demand a trade over the hotbox incident, it would have been something else. Those two weren't going to coexist. But at least Downie did something for us, I'll always remember that miraculous comeback and the grit he showed in out performing everybody's sweetheart Jeff Carter. All Aliu did in the eyes of his haters, is cause the turmoil and breakup of what could have been a pretty solid windsor team.

Old
12-07-2012, 01:50 PM
jughead42

Quote:
I think some of the Downie thing had to do with the Spits sending him home. He/his agent did not like that and as a result he demanded a trade. I think Downie was fine sticking it out in Windsor, if you recall they were supposed to try and make a run that year. They had Downie, OReilly, Garlock, Snetsinger, McFarland, Maunu, Weber, Lomas etc. They blew it up then Riolo wanted to save face and make a run.
Those guys and Downie were still young, it could have been a great team for a couple years without those shenanigans. With all due respect to Peter Aston, Downie was our heart and soul. We had it ripped out. To me, prior to this event Steve Downie was our Wendel Clark, that guy who would do it all just to win. So what if he's a bit crazy.

Old
12-07-2012, 04:22 PM
OHLTG

Two things about Aliu (never thought we'd get into this, but...)

1. From all I've heard, he was extremely arrogant. Felt the world was owed to him. I wish I could say otherwise. If I'm wrong and he was a good kid, by all means, I have an open mind.

2. If it wasn't for him and the Downie situation, we may be talking about the Buffalo Spitfires right now.

Old
12-07-2012, 06:05 PM
Spitsfan67*

Sting have been hot as of late trying to make it 6 straight wins tonight, I think it will bE back and forth for the most part... I don't think it will be chippy but I'd say Sarnia will get 45+ shots on net, I'm going to say 4-2 Sting or 5-3 Sting.

Old
12-07-2012, 06:58 PM
Spitsfan67*

I Laugh out loud every time I see Marchese get in the face of an opposing player or runs his mouth, he has to be the least aggressive player on this team along with Lorentz, if Marchese got in to a fight he would turtle and if he didn't he would get killed.

Old
12-07-2012, 07:26 PM
4 Bobby ORR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post
I Laugh out loud every time I see Marchese get in the face of an opposing player or runs his mouth, he has to be the least aggressive player on this team along with Lorentz, if Marchese got in to a fight he would turtle and if he didn't he would get killed.
Marchese not overly aggressive, I give you that but sometimes his Italian temper kicks in.

Do you not remember these fights at the WFCU?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vqcUB0pPZw
For this one I thought oh oh!! But was surprised with the outcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wYq1uzxgzU
And this one I remember thinking that Webermin should never drop his gloves again after that bout.

Old
12-07-2012, 08:29 PM
Section103

Congrats to Dekort on his first OHL win (and first star)

Gutsy effort.

Old
12-07-2012, 08:40 PM
Spitsfan67*

Nice to see Dekort with the win, I'm really happy for the kid he's played great and finally gets rewarded for a good game. Verbeek with the shoot out goal it must feel good I know it doesn't count but it still is the first time he's beat an OHL goalie and hopefully that helps his confidence and he can start finding the back of the net in Regulation.

The Spits played another solid game, first time this season with three straight wins, I thought they showed resiliency again as they never slowed down after they lost the lead. Johnson finally picking it up this is his third straight game where he has been effective and you actually notice him, hopefully he can keep it up I personally think its a big reason for this 3 game winning streak.These were another huge two points and it must feel good to stop a conferance rivals 5 game win streak, another tough game Sunday, they just have to play smart, think defence first, and when you get chances they have to capulize, along with Pavelka who will have to be stellar once again, if they do those four things I think they will give them selves a good chance to pull out a Win.

Old
12-08-2012, 05:20 AM
hockeylegend11

Solid road win for the Spits,7 pts out of a possible 8 in the past 4 games,congrats to DeKort for ahis 1st Ohl win,he was super solid,impressed how he looked in the shootout,he really has a bright future,very nice to see Verbeek get the winner,think he has a bright future too,hope his confidence will soar a bit
Spits now 4-2-0-1 in last 7 and have allowed only 15 goals excluding empty nettters and shootout goals,goaltending and team defence not an issue during this stretch
Maybe Santa can bring spits some scoring as one of his presents for Xmas
As I have said all along,except for London and Owen Sd not alot of separation between 5 or 6 others including Windsor,this is where the loss of Koko,plus some undercheivers who are playing better makes a differnce,though I guess Windsor not alone with underacheivers

Old
12-08-2012, 08:32 AM
Hawks3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hullsy47 View Post
ho sang will pass the puck when rest of this team realizes they need to be open ....ho sang IMO is the only reason to spend a dime watching the spits ......his vision is head and shouldrs ahead of most on this squad ,he's 16 and quite frankly ,can skate threw a team ,just sayin if kerby is rated 22 overall in this draft ho sang is a legitmate no 1 overall
If McDavid gets special status again he will easily go over Ho-Sang no questions asked.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:39 AM
Hawks3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spits2timechamps View Post
Hmmmm thats a tough one...I think my three most hated players in order would have to be Akim Alu, Zac Rinaldo, Cole Jarrett ... but Nick is a close third
Alu was quite a prize I have seen him spit into the knights bench. It was brutal.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:54 AM
KyGuy9

[QUOTE=Spitsfan67;56356223]Nice to see Dekort with the win, I'm really happy for the kid he's played great and finally gets rewarded for a good game. Verbeek with the shoot out goal it must feel good I know it doesn't count but it still is the first time he's beat an OHL goalie and hopefully that helps his confidence and he can start finding the back of the net in Regulation.

Awesome for DeKort, now I bet he will be as confident as ever. When I saw the Sting score 2 straight to continue the shootout... I thought DeKort's bad luck continued. This has got to be a huge confident booster for Verbeek. I want to see him play more than a few minutes a game though. He has fire in him.

Old
12-08-2012, 09:40 AM
aresknights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawks3 View Post
Alu was quite a prize I have seen him spit into the knights bench. It was brutal.
Add me to the Akim was a jack$#@ group. Many a story of his "attitude" from his stint in London. And his turtling when challenged after a spitting incident, classless.
Million dollar talent, 10 cent head.

Old
12-08-2012, 09:41 AM
hullsy47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawks3 View Post
If McDavid gets special status again he will easily go over Ho-Sang no questions asked.
no special status in the NHL .....but he can play a year earlier in the AHL from what undrstand
my point was .....ho sang is worth the price od admission as is mcdavid ....the spits dont have anyone else id call special .....seiloff and kirby wil play in the nhl at some point ,but ho-sang brings people out of their seats .....and i think watching him a mcdavid on the under 17's will be something to talk about

Old
12-08-2012, 10:17 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
no special status in the NHL .....but he can play a year earlier in the AHL from what undrstand
my point was .....ho sang is worth the price od admission as is mcdavid ....the spits dont have anyone else id call special .....seiloff and kirby wil play in the nhl at some point ,but ho-sang brings people out of their seats .....and i think watching him a mcdavid on the under 17's will be something to talk about
Yes he can play in the AHL at age 19 with 4 yrs of jr
My feeling is McDavid will be in NHL at 18 anyways,as for Hosang 18 maybe,19 much more likely,as I doubt HoSang plays 4 yrs of jr

Old
12-08-2012, 10:20 AM
youngblood10

The Spits brought their work boots for that win in Sarnia. I want to think that some of the boys have decided to take off their training wheels and became players in this league. Or maybe they are tired of getting sand kicked in their faces. Either way it was a good effort, but with .500 teams they leave you thinking that they have turned the corner only to take two steps backwards the next time out.

One positive thing is that they are in just about every game. All the shootouts show that. With the margin so thin between winning and losing with this team if Koko did ever come back, to add a impact talent like that could get them over that hump. Or a wise trade could also work.

Old
12-08-2012, 12:09 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Solid road win for the Spits,7 pts out of a possible 8 in the past 4 games,congrats to DeKort for ahis 1st Ohl win,he was super solid,impressed how he looked in the shootout,he really has a bright future,very nice to see Verbeek get the winner,think he has a bright future too,hope his confidence will soar a bit
Spits now 4-2-0-1 in last 7 and have allowed only 15 goals excluding empty nettters and shootout goals,goaltending and team defence not an issue during this stretch
Maybe Santa can bring spits some scoring as one of his presents for Xmas
As I have said all along,except for London and Owen Sd not alot of separation between 5 or 6 others including Windsor,this is where the loss of Koko,plus some undercheivers who are playing better makes a differnce,though I guess Windsor not alone with underacheivers
I have to disagree with you a bit on the pecking order. There's no doubt OS and London are the class of the west and this year it is probably a good year to be a 7th seed rather than a 6th seed. With that being said I think Kitchener and Guelph are definitely a few steps ahead of Windsor. Both teams are playing over .650 hockey and that's no joke. In the case of Guelph they have already played London and Owen Sound 9 times so to have a .650 winning percentage is no joke they probably deserve a little more credit. In the case of Plymouth they're playing .600 hockey as well. I would need to see Windsor play well against Plymouth before I start to think there isn't much separation.

One observation on the shootout right now I would prefer if Ho-Sang isn't one of your top 3. He still tries to dangle and what I liked in the shootout was Marchese and Verbeek just shot the puck. Even Vail who missed the net he actually shot the puck. Ho-Sang needs to put away the mustard in OT and just shoot the puck. The shoot out isn't about puting on a show it's about putting the puck on net and giving your team the best chance to win and right now that is having Ho-Sang wait a turn.

Old
12-08-2012, 12:25 PM
Hawks3

Quote:
I have to disagree with you a bit on the pecking order. There's no doubt OS and London are the class of the west and this year it is probably a good year to be a 7th seed rather than a 6th seed. With that being said I think Kitchener and Guelph are definitely a few steps ahead of Windsor. Both teams are playing over .650 hockey and that's no joke. In the case of Guelph they have already played London and Owen Sound 9 times so to have a .650 winning percentage is no joke they probably deserve a little more credit. In the case of Plymouth they're playing .600 hockey as well. I would need to see Windsor play well against Plymouth before I start to think there isn't much separation.

One observation on the shootout right now I would prefer if Ho-Sang isn't one of your top 3. He still tries to dangle and what I liked in the shootout was Marchese and Verbeek just shot the puck. Even Vail who missed the net he actually shot the puck. Ho-Sang needs to put away the mustard in OT and just shoot the puck. The shoot out isn't about puting on a show it's about putting the puck on net and giving your team the best chance to win and right now that is having Ho-Sang wait a turn.
Sometimes it looks like the Spits take the shootout to lightly, but yes we need the wins. Kirby's shootout record is the worst, I'm not sure why they keep using him. If you score then you should be used next time if you dont then wait your turn.

Old
12-08-2012, 12:58 PM
KnightSpit

Ho Sang and Windsor D

Quote:
ho sang will pass the puck when rest of this team realizes they need to be open ....ho sang IMO is the only reason to spend a dime watching the spits ......his vision is head and shouldrs ahead of most on this squad ,he's 16 and quite frankly ,can skate threw a team ,just sayin if kerby is rated 22 overall in this draft ho sang is a legitmate no 1 overall
Hullsy

I agree on your Ho Sang comment, that kid has got nothing but upside. Like him and Maletta and Marchese together. What about Windsor "D". Any trades on the "D" front ?

Old
12-08-2012, 01:05 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:

I dont think Plymouth and Kitchener are as good as their records,while Windsor has not beaten Plymouth though both losses came on the road,Guelph on the other hand probably 3rd best in the conference
I am convinced had Koko stayed Windsor would be as good if not better then all except London and Owen Sd,or better take take the best Euro off everybody except London and Owen Sd
Rackell off Plymouth,Goldobin off Sarnia,Faksa off Kitchener,Richard off Guelph,and put Koko in and I feel Windsor would be 2nd in the confernce,and 3rd overall
Adding an impact player makes a difference,while losing one has the same effect
I know what u are saying,goota play with what u have,but when u look at the others ie Kitchener cant score enough,only good at home,Whalers have problems on D and in Goal,Sarnia great on the road,lousy at home, and then we have Windsor good at home,struggles on the road,have trouble scoring,but defensively and goaltending especially at home as good as most teams in the conference
I would gladly take a seventh spot instead of 6th or 8th good call Rayzor

Old
12-08-2012, 01:10 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightSpit View Post
Hullsy

I agree on your Ho Sang comment, that kid has got nothing but upside. Like him and Maletta and Marchese together. What about Windsor "D". Any trades on the "D" front ?
Nothing yet on the trade front,though the defence and goaltending have been very good for most of the last 7 games,only giving up 15 goals in that stretch
If anything not unlike Kitchener Spits would be looking for scoring help more so then defensive

Closed Thread