HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Great Video on Jackets Amateur Scouting Meeting

Old
12-07-2012, 11:28 PM
Crede777
Deputized

vCash: 500
Great Video on Jackets Amateur Scouting Meeting

The Blue Jackets have posted on their website an excellent video on an amateur scouting meeting. They discuss Nathan McKinnon by name as well as Seth Jones.

They allude to a few other players. Can you figure out who they are? (I think "the other guy" is Drouin but am not sure).

In all, it's an excellent video if you're interested in behind the scenes amateur scouting by a pro team.

Link: http://video.bluejackets.nhl.com/vid...ed-share-video

Last edited by Crede777: 12-07-2012 at 11:39 PM.
Crede777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 11:36 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 2252
Love this stuff.

Thanks for sharing.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 11:56 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

You would have to think that the third player they are talking about is Ryan Pulock, no?

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 12:25 AM

Columbus fans should be excited about the future, seems like they are really commited to winning and turning things around. good for you guys.

If anyone was trying to figure out who they are talking about the first is MacKinnon, 2nd Jones, 3rd Pulock, and 4th Drouin.

Really seems like they have MacKinnon as the undisputed 1 pick at this point.

Was Drouin the guy the said was bad shape?

anyone else find it kind of akward when they talk to the players after the games?

Last edited by 1972: 12-08-2012 at 12:45 AM.
1972 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 12:36 AM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

I found it more interesting to see John Davidson's impact on the franchise. The Blues have a great front office but they should have tried harder to keep him.

Columbus can really be revitalized just from this one draft, not really good news for teams in the division like the Blues.

crazy Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 01:06 AM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
Columbus fans should be excited about the future, seems like they are really commited to winning and turning things around. good for you guys.

If anyone was trying to figure out who they are talking about the first is MacKinnon, 2nd Jones, 3rd Pulock, and 4th Drouin.

anyone else find it kind of akward when they talk to the players after the games?
I thought Drouin was the "other guy" they were talking about with MacKinnon. I say that obviously because they're teammates and were being compared a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy Kassian View Post
I found it more interesting to see John Davidson's impact on the franchise. The Blues have a great front office but they should have tried harder to keep him.
I really liked his "character" spiel at the 19:00 mark.

Old
12-08-2012, 01:09 AM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

Can't wait for more episodes. Love the series. Wish FSO would pick it up when the lockout ends.

CBJWennberg41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 02:52 AM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy Kassian View Post

Columbus can really be revitalized just from this one draft, not really good news for teams in the division like the Blues.
I dunno. I like him, but I like him more for the guys he brought in than for anything else. Armstrong and his staff are the ones making the real hockey decisions, the rebuild was over, and JD was making way too much money for a franchise that isn't turning a profit. So the Blues were the ones who wanted him to go. There really wasn't a fight there.

I don't think Davidson will have that much of an impact on how Columbus drafts this year, so if it's bad news for other teams, especially one that had 49 more points in the standings, it will be due to the depth of a draft during which they're rebuilding and have a lot of picks, not due to Davidson. His impact is going to be a steady hand that keeps them from wavering and, if necessary, the decisiveness to make a hire when management is lacking something.

rumrokh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 03:09 AM
puckfan13

John Davidson is the strong leader that successful organizations/corporations always have. He commands a presence in the room and has a vision that can keep the ship on the straight and narrow.

It's only a short vid but I feel like Howson doesn't have that same presence. Obviously Howson is a bright guy, I'm sure he has lots of good ideas about the game and about managing in general but sometimes you just need that guy like Davidson. That leadership, it brings an element of focus to everything they do now. He has seen it all and knows what it takes to be successful. He's not the guy to be doing moneyball type of stuff but he has that old-school feel for the game and he just knows what it takes. That intangible factor is integral to success anywhere, I don't care what people say. His role is perfect for him, overseeing everything not actually getting into the nittygritty. He's there to remind the scouts to focus on hockey sense, not rip apart everyone's rankings or get into the minute details - the bigger picture kind of guy. Howson seems much more meticulous and detail oriented.

It's about putting the best mix of personalities together who have skills that complement each other, and I think JD will be a good complement for Howson and Patrick seems pretty introspective and has spent a lot of years in the game. The CBJ organization benefits greatly from these hires. It's pretty obvious they are trying hard and are just breaking free of the McLean regime and cleansing all his cronies out of the organization. Tyler Wright seems like a very energetic young personnel guy as well. Give these guys some time and I think they can put a decent program together.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 05:12 AM
jfb392

Quote:

If they think so, they're wrong since he's a gym rat.
The key part is when they mention "double underager", which doesn't fit Drouin.
Could be Barkov?

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Could be Barkov?
makes sence

Old
12-08-2012, 11:02 AM
Blues0307

Great video. Columbus is so fortunate to have John Davidson at the helm now. He was a huge part of our rebuild in St. Louis and his value to the organization cannot be overstated. It will be huge for Columbus to have him for their upcoming draft.

Blues0307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 11:28 AM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Could be Barkov?
I thought they were just talking about the CHL? Didn't they say that at the start?

Pilgore88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 11:48 AM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Farva View Post
I thought they were just talking about the CHL? Didn't they say that at the start?
They did. From what I've heard of Monahan, that doesn't fit at all. Who else would it be?

candyman82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 11:49 AM
CerebralGenesis

Loved that. Great stuff and pretty insightful. Didn't know they had 3 picks in the first round tho whew.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
I thought that too put when JB pointed out double underrager who is at the top of the Draft that would either be Shinkaruk, Drouin, Monahan, MacKinnon, Lindholm, or Barkov.

MacKinnon, Shinkaruk, Monahan and appartenly Drouin are all gym rats, that only leave Lindholm or Barkov but Lindholm wasent a double underrager I believe. Barkov seems to fit the criteria the best.

Old
12-08-2012, 12:22 PM
Crede777
Deputized

They were talking about a long flight (I think it was flight and not fight) which would mean either WHL or Europe. That was around when they spoke about the out of shape kid.

Old
12-08-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
They were talking about a long flight (I think it was flight and not fight) which would mean either WHL or Europe. That was around when they spoke about the out of shape kid.
Yep, they said something along the lines of

Its a long flight so if you want to see him do it now dont wait because he could get injured. Something like that.

That indicates Europe because the longest flight to see a CHL team play from CBJ is likely only 4 hours.

Old
12-08-2012, 12:51 PM
mikko1995

Quote:
Could be Barkov?
Barkov isn't in bad shape either; he's been working out like crazy during the summer. I got the idea they are talking about CHL players as well, but I'm not sure about that.

EDIT: Didn't really get what they meant with "double underager", anyone mind explaining?

mikko1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 12:57 PM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikko1995 View Post
Barkov isn't in bad shape either; he's been working out like crazy during the summer. I got the idea they are talking about CHL players as well, but I'm not sure about that.

EDIT: Didn't really get what they meant with "double underager", anyone mind explaining?
As in someone playing in the World Juniors at 16, or someone playing Midget at 13 or 14. Two years younger then the standard age.

Pilgore88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 12:58 PM
mikko1995

Quote:
As in someone playing in the World Juniors at 16, or someone playing Midget at 13 or 14. Two years younger then the standard age.
Okay; thanks for the info.

mikko1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 01:21 PM
candyman82

Quote:
Yep, they said something along the lines of

Its a long flight so if you want to see him do it now dont wait because he could get injured. Something like that.

That indicates Europe because the longest flight to see a CHL team play from CBJ is likely only 4 hours.
Well, Vancouver is between 7 and 8 hours away and Seattle and Edmonton are both just over 6 hours from Columbus. It's likely somebody from the WHL, not Europe.

Old
12-08-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman82 View Post
Well, Vancouver is between 7 and 8 hours away and Seattle and Edmonton are both just over 6 hours from Columbus. It's likely somebody from the WHL, not Europe.
CBJ to Vancouver is a 8 hour flight? I was thinking 4-5 hours.

http://www.flightnetwork.com/destina...Vancouver.html

Not along flight at all, the will also have a handfull of scouts located in the WHL already.

Old
12-08-2012, 01:29 PM
candyman82

Quote:
CBJ to Vancouver is a 8 hour flight? I was thinking 4-5 hours.
I couldn't find non-stops, that was skewing my numbers

Last edited by candyman82: 12-08-2012 at 01:30 PM. Reason: I didn't notice the small text that said "No non-stops"
Old
12-08-2012, 01:44 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

It's clear when they're talking about MacKinnon, that "the other guy" is Drouin.