HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Junior Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
World Junior Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 — Latvia

Old
12-07-2012, 01:18 PM
tsujimoto74

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
It's not official, I think they'll send him, there's no reason not to, it's not like he's integral to the Amerks success.
I sure hope so...And then send him down to the WHL after so he can actually develop at a level of competition he can really handle/produce offensively at. He hasn't been awful in the AHL, but he would certainly be getting a lot more offensive opportunities and such if he moved down a level.

Hey, a guy can dream, right?

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 11:22 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

This looks like the best Latvian team assembled.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 04:49 AM
Latgale_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
This looks like the best Latvian team assembled.
If we talk about the goalie and attack then yes but nobody really stands out in defense except Siksna from the same Belarus league and Rosinskis who plays in WHL but other than that judging by stats I can't figure out how he's doing there. HK Riga defensemen, on the contrary to what some might say about their size, have good +/- in the league and the defense is the best thing of HK Riga at the moment, it's lack of beef in attack that holds them from being even better, but it's still a mystery how they will perform. At least this year we're playing on big ice and in a territory familiar to our MHL guys, so there will be less stress and need to adjust to smaller ice.
Defense is a big part of a team and if there's no D-men that can give good first passes and defend well then it impacts the whole level of the team... Last year we had that problem preparing for U18 Worlds and since the core of this team will be last year's U18 guys the problem still will be there.

Latgale_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 11:41 AM
Darth Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
This is a good top 6 for Latvia, but their top 6 doesn't touch a top 6 of Jaskin-Hertl-Frk, Stransky-Faksa-Hyka. The Czechs have a good offensive group, but Latvia should compete with Germany, Slovakia and Switzerland. I think they could finish as high as 6th this year.
So who of the top-6 would be beaten? It seems to me that it is actually the czechs that is are the worst of the elite teams.

Darth Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 12:10 PM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latgale_fan View Post
Defense is a big part of a team and if there's no D-men that can give good first passes and defend well then it impacts the whole level of the team
I agree, we might have a really promising attack, but like last year our attack will be held back by our D. Though I'm not sure it's the actual first pass that lets them down, but the sheer fact that their decision making is so damn slow. It takes them ages to set up behind goal, look up and then try to break out in any way. On the small fields of NA, elite team forecheckers ate them up for breakfast last year, maybe it will be better with usual big ice in Ufa.

ozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 12:21 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latgale_fan View Post
If we talk about the goalie and attack then yes but nobody really stands out in defense except Siksna from the same Belarus league and Rosinskis who plays in WHL but other than that judging by stats I can't figure out how he's doing there. HK Riga defensemen, on the contrary to what some might say about their size, have good +/- in the league and the defense is the best thing of HK Riga at the moment, it's lack of beef in attack that holds them from being even better, but it's still a mystery how they will perform. At least this year we're playing on big ice and in a territory familiar to our MHL guys, so there will be less stress and need to adjust to smaller ice.
Defense is a big part of a team and if there's no D-men that can give good first passes and defend well then it impacts the whole level of the team... Last year we had that problem preparing for U18 Worlds and since the core of this team will be last year's U18 guys the problem still will be there.
I still think that it's the best Latvian team this tournament has seen.. I think they'll stay up.

Old
12-08-2012, 01:26 PM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
I still think that it's the best Latvian team this tournament has seen..
I'm not sure anyone is really disputing that, but still, seeing how young the roster could end up being, there's a good chance that this again will basically be a one game tournament. And Germany is a bit tougher nut than Denmark was last year.

It will be no sensation if we end up relegated, but this age group has a potential for an upset or two in them.

ozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 02:17 PM
latvianhockeyfan

Latvian team has advantage against Slovakia and Germany, because all squad has u-18 or u-20 experience( or two championships in top group in one year played Lipsbergs, Jevpalovs, Blugers, Merzlikins ), Slovakia didn't played in top group(u-18- 1994), Germany didn't played last year U-20 - 1993.

However this is top level and we don't have a win against Slovakia in U-20 tournaments.

Relegation: Germany 40% Slovakia 30% Latvia 20%
Any other team 10%

latvianhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 06:00 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Slovakia isn't strong this year, they might go down.. The relegation battle will be the best ever.

Old
12-10-2012, 12:29 PM
GX

Latvian federation's press secretary has stated that it is rather unlikely Girgensons will play at the WJC, as, because of the many injuries, Amerks aren't too keen on letting Zemgus go. Apparently, federation asked Ted Nolan to get in touch with Rochester.

Also, he stated that getting Girgensons to Riga in February (for Olympic qualification tournament) is much more likely.

Latvian WJC camp has started today, NA players (Blugers, Rosinskis, Lipsbergs, Jevpalovs, Kulda) will arive next Monday. On Dec 18 and Dec 19 they have two exhibition games versus SKA-1946 (MHL). Final roster is going to be announced on Dec 22.

GX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 12:39 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by GX View Post
Latvian federation's press secretary has stated that it is rather unlikely Girgensons will play at the WJC, as, because of the many injuries, Amerks aren't too keen on letting Zemgus go. Apparently, federation asked Ted Nolan to get in touch with Rochester.

Also, he stated that getting Girgensons to Riga in February (for Olympic qualification tournament) is much more likely.

Latvian WJC camp has started today, NA players (Blugers, Rosinskis, Lipsbergs, Jevpalovs, Kulda) will arive next Monday. On Dec 18 and Dec 19 they have two exhibition games versus SKA-1946 (MHL). Final roster is going to be announced on Dec 22.
The Amerks have 6 forward injuries and they're playing a defenseman at forward. They can't let him go. If there's anyone to blame in this situation, it's the Sabres for not bringing in any replacement players.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 01:53 PM
BalticWarrior

****ing great, just what we need- no Girgensons on roster.

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 02:50 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
****ing great, just what we need- no Girgensons on roster.
is he injured???

12-10-2012, 02:51 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
is he injured???
He's injured but he should be okay in time for WJC, there has been speculation that the Amerks would not release him for the tournament due to injured players and needing him which I think is completely idiotic, but it's just speculation, nothing official has been said.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 03:11 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
He's injured but he should be okay in time for WJC, there has been speculation that the Amerks would not release him for the tournament due to injured players and needing him which I think is completely idiotic, but it's just speculation, nothing official has been said.
It's not idiotic for the Amerks. They need bodies, and the Sabres are unwilling to sign any replacement players. Therefore Girgensons stays.

Old
12-10-2012, 03:30 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
It's not idiotic for the Amerks. They need bodies, and the Sabres are unwilling to sign any replacement players. Therefore Girgensons stays.
Maybe not idiotic for the Amerks (though even that's debatable since he's pretty much only getting 3rd line minutes on the wing with limited special teams even with the injuries), but it's definitely idiotic towards Girgensons' development and a disappointment for Latvia. At 18, struggling to produce offensively in the pros, the WJCs would be great for him, especially since Latvia would likely rely heavily on him in all situations. I was also looking forward to watching him there to get a better grasp on how he stacks up to players his own age. Hopefully they get some bodies back soon so they can release him for it.

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 03:38 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Maybe not idiotic for the Amerks (though even that's debatable since he's pretty much only getting 3rd line minutes on the wing with limited special teams even with the injuries), but it's definitely idiotic towards Girgensons' development and a disappointment for Latvia. At 18, struggling to produce offensively in the pros, the WJCs would be great for him, especially since Latvia would likely rely heavily on him in all situations. I was also looking forward to watching him there to get a better grasp on how he stacks up to players his own age. Hopefully they get some bodies back soon so they can release him for it.
I don't totally disagree, but I think he needs to stay with his employer when they're decimated by injuries.

For me, even if I were to 100% agree with you, the Sabres are dropping the ball here.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:08 PM
smitty10

If Girgensons plays next year the Latvian team could be very good. Right now I think this team will be relying on too many '94's to get the job done.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 04:23 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
I don't totally disagree, but I think he needs to stay with his employer when they're decimated by injuries.

For me, even if I were to 100% agree with you, the Sabres are dropping the ball here.
That much we can agree on.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 09:24 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Even if Girgensons misses the tournament, sounds like some good buzz about amongst Latvians this year

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 11:43 PM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
If Girgensons plays next year the Latvian team could be very good. Right now I think this team will be relying on too many '94's to get the job done.
I mean yeah Girgensons is good but cmon ,our team still can get the job done even without him. last years wjc he scored only one goal,so not that great.

Last edited by BalticWarrior: 12-11-2012 at 12:00 AM.
Old
12-11-2012, 12:00 AM
smitty10

[QUOTE=Helo;56441413]
Quote:
If Girgensons plays next year the Latvian team could be very good. Right now I think this team will be relying on too many '94's to get the job done.[/QU

I mean yeah Girgensons is good but cmon you ,our team still can get the job done even without him. last years wjc he scored only one goal,so not that great.
He was only 17. He's the best player Latvia has in the junior ranks.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 12:02 AM
BalticWarrior

[QUOTE=smitty10;56441879]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post

He was only 17. He's the best player Latvia has in the junior ranks.
Arguable,potentitial wise Bluegers and Bukarts are ahead of him.

Old
12-11-2012, 12:16 AM
BalticWarrior

Oh and Lipsbersgs and Jevpalovs were 17 too last wjcs,that didnt stop them from scoring goals.

Old
12-11-2012, 12:28 AM
Nash

I hope you are right Helo. I'd love to see Latvia in the quarterfinals, but they will need 2 wins and the top 3 are not week and Switzerland has been in the top pool for many years. It's too bad that TSN won't have coverage of your pool.

Nash is offline   Reply With Quote