HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winnipeg Jets Prospect Thread 2012-13 (Part II)

Closed Thread

Old
12-07-2012, 10:41 AM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanJetsFan View Post
He'll win it and I'm fine with that. Let the Isles get them their scoring guy, I still prefer Scheifele regarding to the next step they both need to make to put their game on the next level against NHL players. It could be very possible that Strome will have more struggles adapting his game than Scheifele. Although I think he'll make it.
There are a lot of scouts who think Strome will really struggle in the NHL. Many of those same scouts think Scheifele projects as a better NHLer at this point. It will be interesting to watch.

That said, prior to the 2011 draft I was hoping Strome would fall to us. At that point, I loved his puck skills, but somebody else drafted him so now I'm all like ******* that guy.

Old
12-07-2012, 11:14 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanJetsFan View Post
He'll win it and I'm fine with that. Let the Isles get them their scoring guy, I still prefer Scheifele regarding to the next step they both need to make to put their game on the next level against NHL players. It could be very possible that Strome will have more struggles adapting his game than Scheifele. Although I think he'll make it.
I was just mentioning how well he was doing from an unbiased view. If it was our prospect we'd be clamouring like he was the second coming. His last month+ has been unreal, that's all.

Old
12-07-2012, 04:27 PM
TroubaFan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
I was just mentioning how well he was doing from an unbiased view. If it was our prospect we'd be clamouring like he was the second coming. His last month+ has been unreal, that's all.
I totally agree. Our prospects are such a touchy subject with our fans.

Old
12-07-2012, 06:37 PM
Huffer

vCash: 1090
Quote:
Are you of the opinion that this board overrates or pumps our prospects tires? Granted all boards do this, but this board is one of hardest on their prospects. I don't see people from this board pumping our prospects like I see from most of the other teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostmaFan1 View Post
I totally agree. Our prospects are such a touchy subject with our fans.
Some seem to find it really easy to dump all over them though.

Old
12-07-2012, 07:07 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Are you of the opinion that this board overrates or pumps our prospects tires? Granted all boards do this, but this board is one of hardest on their prospects. I don't see people from this board pumping our prospects like I see from most of the other teams.
I do think that happens on this board. I know that we all can have certain biases towards things we like, but I also think we should be able to put those biases aside from time to time and challenge our beliefs. This is my general thought on a lot of things in life.

Old
12-07-2012, 07:29 PM
Huffer

Quote:
I do think that happens on this board. I know that we all can have certain biases towards things we like, but I also think we should be able to put those biases aside from time to time and challenge our beliefs. This is my general thought on a lot of things in life.
But do you think that this board overrates their prospects MORE than all the other boards?

I find that extreamly hard to believe based on what I read on other boards as well as the main boards.

Of course the home board of each team is going to be a place where the fans discuss and dream about the future "possibilities".

But I haven't seen Jets fans out in the other boards pumping their prospects as much as other fans.

How many pages in the World Junior thread is dedicated to guys like Corrado, Ouellet, and Sproul?

Besides putting Scheifele in their lineups, I don't see anyone pumping up his tires.

Same as the Trouba thread. Pretty dead in there, I don't see many people pumping him up either.

Considering many here are hoping that lowry can turn into a Peplinski and not Lucic or Neely, and Trouba into a Foote and not a Stevens, I think many here at least try not to be too pie in the sky compared to other boards. A lot of other boards have their prospects as future HOF'rs.

Those are my observations though, your's might be different.

Old
12-07-2012, 07:44 PM
Hammer Slammer

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
OHL

Guelph Storm 4 - Owen Sound Attack 1
Last Updated: Final

Kosmachuk: 0-1-1 +0 0PIM
2. GUE Z. Mitchell, (12) (S. Kosmachuk, T. Richard), 19:22

Belleville Bulls 3 - Kitchener Rangers 1
Last Updated: Starting shortly

Brassard: Still suspended

WHL

Tri-City Americans 3 - Portland Winterhawks 2

Yuen: 0-0-0 -2 0PIM

Swift Current Broncos 3 - Vancouver Giants 1
Last Updated: FInal

Lowry: 1-0-1 +0 2PIM
2. S.C A. Lowry, (15) , 13:06
3 - S.C A. Lowry, 7:40 - Boarding, 2 min (PP

QMJHL

Blainville-Boisbriand Armada 5 - Rimouski Oceanic 6
Last Updated: Final SO

Cisse*: 0-0-0 +1 0PIM

*Listed as #12 for the Armada

COLLEGE

Quinnipiac 3 - Princeton 1

Samuels-Thomas: 0-0-0 +0 2PIM
Quinnipiac 10:01 Samuels-Thomas,J.: INTERFERENCE MINOR 2 minutes

Nebraska Omaha 6 - St. Cloud State 5

Lane: 0-0-0 -1 0PIM

Colorado College 2 - Minnesota 4

Stoykewych: 0-0-0 +0 0PIM

Harstad: 0-0-0 -1 0PIM

RPI 6 - Yale 1

Kasdorf: 1 GA / 60 MIN / 36 SV / 37 S / 0PIM

Kasdorf seems to be impressing, he's getting more and more starts and getting better and better. 0.950 save percentage after this game. 4 games played and he's 2-1-1.

ECHL

Colorado Eagles 5 - San Francisco Bulls (Woo Cow Palace!) 1

Sol: 0-0-0 +1 4PIM
3 - COL Sol, 0:53 - High-sticking - double minor, (60.3) 4 min (2 PP)

Last edited by Hammer Slammer: 12-08-2012 at 09:27 AM.
Old
12-08-2012, 06:04 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
But do you think that this board overrates their prospects MORE than all the other boards?

I find that extreamly hard to believe based on what I read on other boards as well as the main boards.

Of course the home board of each team is going to be a place where the fans discuss and dream about the future "possibilities".

But I haven't seen Jets fans out in the other boards pumping their prospects as much as other fans.

How many pages in the World Junior thread is dedicated to guys like Corrado, Ouellet, and Sproul?

Besides putting Scheifele in their lineups, I don't see anyone pumping up his tires.

Same as the Trouba thread. Pretty dead in there, I don't see many people pumping him up either.

Considering many here are hoping that lowry can turn into a Peplinski and not Lucic or Neely, and Trouba into a Foote and not a Stevens, I think many here at least try not to be too pie in the sky compared to other boards. A lot of other boards have their prospects as future HOF'rs.

Those are my observations though, your's might be different.
I agree that our board doesn't pump the tires of our prospects as much as a lot of other fan bases do, but some have a tendency to overcompensate IMO. When other prospects are brought up like Couturier, Strome or Hamilton, there seems to be a need to knock them down for no other reason, but to boast Scheifele. That's what my main point was. If we had drafted Couturier or Hamilton, then we'd most likely be praising them as we do Scheifele. If Scheifele was drafted by another team besides the Jets, then he wouldn't get the same praise as he currently does IMO. To me that's where the bias comes into play. I can understand there's going to be some bias related to our teams players, but why knock on those other prospects at the same time when they're highly thought of in other NHL circles around the league?

Personally, I like your comparisons of our prospects. I think they're fair and realistic. I try to keep an unbiased position when relating to our prospects, but I do have some that make it more difficult to do than others.

Old
12-08-2012, 09:37 AM
Hammer Slammer

Just went back and looked and Lowry's goal last night was a penalty shot too. 2 penalty shot goals in 2 nights.

edit - 2 SHORTHANDED penalty shots no less

Last edited by Hammer Slammer: 12-08-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old
12-08-2012, 10:18 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Pavlovian Response

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Slammer View Post
Just went back and looked and Lowry's goal last night was a penalty shot too. 2 penalty shot goals in 2 nights.

edit - 2 SHORTHANDED penalty shots no less
That's some aggressive PK work to draw two penalty shots!

Old
12-08-2012, 10:25 AM
Hammer Slammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
That's some aggressive PK work to draw two penalty shots!
No doubt! The second one probably shouldn't have been a PS and the commentators were pissed.

Old
12-08-2012, 10:42 AM
ps241
Hero of CantonKiller

Collage players are painful to follow.......they play Friday Saturday most weeks and then we have a stretch like this when they (Michigan) miss a weekend. Even then we never get a chance to watch them during a game just snippets of highlights.

Anyone else salivating at the chance to ACTUALLY watch Trouba in a game for team USA?

Old
12-08-2012, 11:03 AM
puck stoppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Collage players are painful to follow.......they play Friday Saturday most weeks and then we have a stretch like this when they (Michigan) miss a weekend. Even then we never get a chance to watch them during a game just snippets of highlights.

Anyone else salivating at the chance to ACTUALLY watch Trouba in a game for team USA?
Yes, do I ever! I have never been excited to watch a USA player at the World Juniors. But that's what having the Jets back does to a guy, it will be the first time that I hope an American player does well in this tourney!

Old
12-08-2012, 12:18 PM
Mathil8
▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌

Any CHL games on tv tonight? Guess I could check for my self... but that requires far too much effort

Old
12-08-2012, 12:21 PM
Huffer

Quote:
I agree that our board doesn't pump the tires of our prospects as much as a lot of other fan bases do, but some have a tendency to overcompensate IMO. When other prospects are brought up like Couturier, Strome or Hamilton, there seems to be a need to knock them down for no other reason, but to boast Scheifele. That's what my main point was. If we had drafted Couturier or Hamilton, then we'd most likely be praising them as we do Scheifele. If Scheifele was drafted by another team besides the Jets, then he wouldn't get the same praise as he currently does IMO. To me that's where the bias comes into play. I can understand there's going to be some bias related to our teams players, but why knock on those other prospects at the same time when they're highly thought of in other NHL circles around the league?

Personally, I like your comparisons of our prospects. I think they're fair and realistic. I try to keep an unbiased position when relating to our prospects, but I do have some that make it more difficult to do than others.
Ahhh, gotcha. Totally agree. Not to , but I think every board is pretty guilty of that, and that most here are pretty tame in comparison. I don't know what it is, maybe a defense mechanism or something (to minimize other prospects and players).

Old
12-08-2012, 12:32 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

That's actually an interesting point.

Like, Scheifele is a top end prospect. Ya he might not be the best of the bunch and he might not even turn out as good as those selected just after him (not trying to bring up controversial topics, just creating context). Most of us seem pretty realistic in thinking he most likely will fall between #1-#2C, but may never reach true #1C ceiling. It's interesting to see that jets prospects probably get the least attention on the main board.
For example: Scheifele is very comparable to Strome. Same draft, top 10 picks, playmaking C's with size, top OHL scorers, etc. Strome gets lots of attention on the prospect board, way more so than Scheifele... Buuuut, when Scheif vs Strome thread went up, I was shocked to see how many non-Jets fans actually thought Scheif to be the better prospect or just thought good things of him.
In short, I find it really interesting that Jets prospects are rarely talked about on the main board by Jets or non-Jets fans, regardless if they do and don't deserve it.

PS:
I am stoked to see Lowry is a beast at the PK, even if he is one of the older guys.

PPS:
I too am stoked for the first time to watch USA.

Last edited by garret9: 12-08-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old
12-08-2012, 12:40 PM
Hammer Slammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathil8 View Post
Any CHL games on tv tonight? Guess I could check for my self... but that requires far too much effort
Nope, there was an early "Friday" Night Hockey on Wednesday for the Armada and Voltigeurs. Just some UFC fight tonight.

Old
12-08-2012, 12:43 PM
Mathil8
▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Slammer View Post
Nope, there was an early "Friday" Night Hockey on Wednesday for the Armada and Voltigeurs. Just some UFC fight tonight.
Yeah I caught most of that game, was hoping Cisse would be playing. Thanks for the info! Do you have a link for the broadcast schedule? Its shaw and sportsnet that sometimes have games right?

Old
12-08-2012, 12:52 PM
Hammer Slammer

Nah, don't have a schedule or anything, I just checked TV listings.

I don't have Shaw so I'm not sure if they have anything tonight. Judging by their twitter there was a WHL game on last night though.

https://twitter.com/WHLonShawTV

Old
12-08-2012, 12:53 PM
Mathil8
▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌

Ah thanks again for the info hammer

Old
12-08-2012, 01:11 PM
Gm0ney

Quote:

I get the Big Ten Network on Shaw (HD channel 232). They have a few upcoming Michigan games this winter:

January 8, 2013 7:30pm ET: Bowling Green at Michigan
February 1, 2013 6:30pm ET: Michigan State at Michigan
February 22, 2013 6:30pm ET: Michigan at Ohio State

http://btn.com/about/olympic-sports-on-tv/#hockey

Old
12-08-2012, 01:40 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

Quote:
Ahhh, gotcha. Totally agree. Not to , but I think every board is pretty guilty of that, and that most here are pretty tame in comparison. I don't know what it is, maybe a defense mechanism or something (to minimize other prospects and players).
I think other prospects are only denigrated here when their names are brought up in an attempt to denigrate our own. For example, Couturier's name is usually invoked here on this board under the context of "see, the Jets should have taken Couturier instead of Scheifele". As if Scheifele's worth is supposed to solely be determined relative to Couturier and relative to what they accomplished immediately after being drafted.

Scheifele should be judged by what he does in the NHL and over the body of his NHL career. Sean Couturier is irrelevant up until that point.

I agree fully with what you've said in this thread, Huffer.

Old
12-08-2012, 01:40 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Affiliated to AIH through SBN, but not AIH...

Little write up on the struggles of Michigan:
http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog....ichigan-hockey

I, for one, really hope Merrill can return soon and help guide Trouba.

Old
12-08-2012, 03:24 PM
ps241
Hero of CantonKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
I get the Big Ten Network on Shaw (HD channel 232). They have a few upcoming Michigan games this winter:

January 8, 2013 7:30pm ET: Bowling Green at Michigan
February 1, 2013 6:30pm ET: Michigan State at Michigan
February 22, 2013 6:30pm ET: Michigan at Ohio State

http://btn.com/about/olympic-sports-on-tv/#hockey
Gm0ney you just made my day......thx

Old
12-08-2012, 03:38 PM
Mathil8
▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌

Quote: