HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Miikka Kiprusoff

Old
12-08-2012, 11:41 AM
seanlinden

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
LOL...so i suppose you know the new CBA? Because if his deal is grandfathered, 5 years of Luongo certainly does exist. (multiple outs) And what praytell do you do after giving up a good package and Kipper walks in a year?
They're not going to rewrite contracts.... Luongo has 9 years left on his contract. Outs or not, the fact is that it's there, and there's a realistic possibility that Luongo's contract extends beyond the length of the CBA anyways.

What do you do after giving up a good package and Kipper walks in a year? Well, that depends on why Kipper's walking.

If it's because James Reimer has emerged, then you do very little. You resign him to a contract, and either pursue a backup goaltender, or maybe you have one internally at that point.

If it's because he can get more money elsewhere, and you don't have an adequate replacement, you make it so that he can't get more money elsewhere. Realistically...players are generally adverse to moving when things are going well, and will often take a hometown discount. Sure, there's the possibility that things don't go well, that's inherent with any goalie... great thing about Kipper, is that it's a very easy separation if things don't go well.

If it's because he wants a final kick at the can to try and win a cup, then you've got substantially bigger problems, and are probably rebuilding at that point anyways... in which case you certainly don't want 7 years of a 35 year old goaltender on the books..

That being said, under the assumption that Calgary is ready to rebuild (I don't believe they are)... I do wonder about the possibility of a deal between Toronto, Calgary, and Los Angeles. Send Bernier & Kadri to Calgary (much better than waiting on draft picks). Send Kipper to Toronto. Send Ben Scrivens, Carter Ashton and a 2nd from each of Toronto & Calgary to Los Angeles.

Last edited by seanlinden: 12-08-2012 at 11:46 AM.
seanlinden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 12:27 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
They're not going to rewrite contracts.... Luongo has 9 years left on his contract. Outs or not, the fact is that it's there, and there's a realistic possibility that Luongo's contract extends beyond the length of the CBA anyways.

What do you do after giving up a good package and Kipper walks in a year? Well, that depends on why Kipper's walking.

If it's because James Reimer has emerged, then you do very little. You resign him to a contract, and either pursue a backup goaltender, or maybe you have one internally at that point.

If it's because he can get more money elsewhere, and you don't have an adequate replacement, you make it so that he can't get more money elsewhere. Realistically...players are generally adverse to moving when things are going well, and will often take a hometown discount. Sure, there's the possibility that things don't go well, that's inherent with any goalie... great thing about Kipper, is that it's a very easy separation if things don't go well.

If it's because he wants a final kick at the can to try and win a cup, then you've got substantially bigger problems, and are probably rebuilding at that point anyways... in which case you certainly don't want 7 years of a 35 year old goaltender on the books..

That being said, under the assumption that Calgary is ready to rebuild (I don't believe they are)... I do wonder about the possibility of a deal between Toronto, Calgary, and Los Angeles. Send Bernier & Kadri to Calgary (much better than waiting on draft picks). Send Kipper to Toronto. Send Ben Scrivens, Carter Ashton and a 2nd from each of Toronto & Calgary to Los Angeles.
Why not just send Kadri and a 2nd for Kipper?

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 12:43 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Why not just send Kadri and a 2nd for Kipper?
Flames should be able to do better than that....although highly dependent on what the new CBA looks like in terms of cap number.

Old
12-08-2012, 12:54 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Flames should be able to do better than that....although highly dependent on what the new CBA looks like in terms of cap number.
He has 1 year left, essentially a rental. Won't cost much more.

Old
12-08-2012, 01:15 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
He has 1 year left, essentially a rental. Won't cost much more.
Yeah... and as far as goaltenders go... doesn't get much better than Kipper.

Old
12-08-2012, 01:23 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Yeah... and as far as goaltenders go... doesn't get much better than Kipper.
I'm not knocking him at all. But, i'm not about to pay a premium price for 1 year of goaltending either.

Old
12-08-2012, 01:25 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
I'm not knocking him at all. But, i'm not about to pay a premium price for 1 year of goaltending either.
It's simply fair market value for one of the league's best goalies with no long term committment... something that we should be looking for with James Reimer at $1.8m for one year after this one.

Old
12-08-2012, 01:27 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
It's simply fair market value for one of the league's best goalies with no long term committment... something that we should be looking for with James Reimer at $1.8m for one year after this one.
What is? And i guess i can't figure out why you are scared to commited to a starting goaltender.

Old
12-08-2012, 02:11 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
What is? And i guess i can't figure out why you are scared to commited to a starting goaltender.
Whatever we'd have to pay to get Kipper.

I'm not scared to committ to a starting goaltender. I'm scared to commit 9 years to a 33-year old starting goaltender. If we can get a young one, I'm all for it. Barring that, we've gotta look at short term solutions / hope we can develop one.

Old
12-08-2012, 02:34 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Whatever we'd have to pay to get Kipper.

I'm not scared to committ to a starting goaltender. I'm scared to commit 9 years to a 33-year old starting goaltender. If we can get a young one, I'm all for it. Barring that, we've gotta look at short term solutions / hope we can develop one.
Do you know what "cap circumvention" means?

Old
12-08-2012, 11:07 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Do you know what "cap circumvention" means?
Yeah I do.

That doesn't mean it's a good idea for a young team to trade highly valuable young players for a 33 year old goaltender with a 9 year contract.

Old
12-09-2012, 08:25 AM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Yeah I do.

That doesn't mean it's a good idea for a young team to trade highly valuable young players for a 33 year old goaltender with a 9 year contract.
You can't use the young team arguement when you are condoning paying the same price for a much older goalie...that is called contradiction.

Old
12-09-2012, 09:46 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
You can't use the young team arguement when you are condoning paying the same price for a much older goalie...that is called contradiction.
Nothing wrong with being an old goalie. The problem is paying a substantial price to commit that many years to an old goalie.