HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official MLB Thread - Part VII

Old
12-07-2012, 12:57 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

vCash: 500
I'm not sure about this but some Yankee fans suggest trading Cano for a big package. Then sign Hamilton.

I doubt the Yankees do that. But if they wanted to, I'm sure they could get a Teixeira like package back.

It would have to be to a team that has a good farm and that can afford to sign him. Texas & Nationals are two teams.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 01:13 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
I think Hamilton in NYC is a time bomb waiting to explode. Hate to be callous, but it is what it is.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 02:06 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Why would Granderson and Texeira not be able to "turn it around"? A-Rod, I can understand.

What exactly do you mean by putting pressure on the other team? I would have a hard time with any definition that says the offense that was second in runs and OBP in the major league isn't putting pressure on the other team.

I have no idea who that stop gap would be. The free agent market is bleak.

Now that's not fair, Granderson struck out in 1/3 of his at-bats so he couldn't have hit into the shift that much...
What I mean by pressure is being multi-faceted. Pressure on the basepaths. Etc.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 02:24 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
What I mean by pressure is being multi-faceted. Pressure on the basepaths. Etc.
Meh. Last season without Gardner they had 93 steals, which is 70% of the Twins, top team in the AL. They were 11th in the AL, 12-14 were Texas, Detroit and Baltimore. Oakland was the only playoff team to have more steals (122).

I'm not overly concerned about their ability on the basepaths. Least important facet of an offense anyways, IMO.

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 02:53 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Would not be on board with bringing in Hamilton if it meant losing Cano...

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 03:45 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
From what I've read they'd only do Myers in a deal for Niese, not Dickey. And that they'd expect the Mets to add. The rumor yesterday was that they wanted Niese and Wheeler, which is never going to happen.

Today the rumors are that Texas would do Olt for Dickey. I'd be just fine with that.

I have no desire to move Niese.
Olt plays 3rd though. Where will he play with Wright locked up to that mega contract?

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 08:20 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Sadly for Hamilton, theres no MLB team in Amish Country or Provo, Utah.

There's temptation and sin in every major US city and then some. Man the hell up and deal with sobriety.

The Yankees will be fine. I'm really getting sick of every season being labeled "the collapse season" by the fans and media.

Their six-man rotation is CC, Kuroda, Phelps, Pettite, Nova and Hughes.

Bulpen is Mo, Joba, Robertson, Eppley, Logan, Rapada

Lineup is:

SS Jeter
LF Suzuki
2B Cano
1B Texeira
3B A-Rod
CF Granderson
DH Ibanez?
RF Gardner
C Stewart

At least 90-wins. At least.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 08:51 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Olt plays 3rd though. Where will he play with Wright locked up to that mega contract?

He can play first base. He could even play some left field but would be somewhat of a liability there.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 08:53 PM
McDonaghisGod
Oh, the pain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post

There's temptation and sin in every major US city and then some. Man the hell up and deal with sobriety.

The Yankees will be fine. I'm really getting sick of every season being labeled "the collapse season" by the fans and media.

Lineup is:

SS Jeter
LF Suzuki
2B Cano
1B Texeira
3B A-Rod
CF Granderson
DH Ibanez?
RF Gardner
C Stewart

The Yankees aren't about being fine. This isn't some irrelevant small market team that is happy to merely make the postseason. The Yankees are about winning titles. There are weaknesses on this team that are preventing them from accomplishing that, namely an aging and largely one dimensional lineup. All we are doing is trying to address those weaknesses.

McDonaghisGod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 08:55 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
Would not be on board with bringing in Hamilton if it meant losing Cano...

Same here.

Best 2nd baseman in baseball and 1 of the better hitters going around. Hope he's a Yankee for life.

Hamilton wants 5+ years and tons of $$$. Huge risk with his history.

Old
12-07-2012, 08:58 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Meh. Last season without Gardner they had 93 steals, which is 70% of the Twins, top team in the AL. They were 11th in the AL, 12-14 were Texas, Detroit and Baltimore. Oakland was the only playoff team to have more steals (122).

I'm not overly concerned about their ability on the basepaths. Least important facet of an offense anyways, IMO.

Agree. 31 at bats out of Gardner last season. Hope we can bring back Ichiro. An outfield of Gardner, Granderson and Ichiro, I'd be happy with that. Ichiro hit well since coming to Yanks.

What Yankees need is a catcher. Cant go in the season with Cervelli/Stewart.

Old
12-07-2012, 10:26 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:

Lineup is:

SS Jeter
LF Suzuki
2B Cano
1B Texeira
3B A-Rod
CF Granderson
DH Ibanez?
RF Gardner
C Stewart

ss jeter
lf gardner
1b teixeira
2b cano
dh arod (when he returns)
cf granderson
3b adams
c romine
rf stopgap (maybe tyler austin later)

Old
12-07-2012, 10:27 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
He can play first base. He could even play some left field but would be somewhat of a liability there.
But they have Ike Davis at 1st

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 11:03 PM
30theking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
I'm not sure about this but some Yankee fans suggest trading Cano for a big package. Then sign Hamilton.

I doubt the Yankees do that. But if they wanted to, I'm sure they could get a Teixeira like package back.

It would have to be to a team that has a good farm and that can afford to sign him. Texas & Nationals are two teams.
i believe cano is untouchable. the guy in my opinion is the best second baseman in the league and is the best 2nd baseman they ever had. i know he struggled in the playoffs last year but he still young and can do better. i would say he's our most valuable player right now.

30theking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 11:04 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Stop people, Cano is not being traded.

Quick update from earlier:

The Yankees are still talking to Ichiro Suzuki as they continue waiting to hear from Kevin Youkilis, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports (on Twitter). Youkilis is weighing multiple offers and the Indians are also bidding for his services.
Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/new_yo...Q9y2dWKY53V.99

I really hope they re-sign Ichiro and add Youkilis.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 11:11 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
But they have Ike Davis at 1st

Who is mediocre. Carlos Pena and Mark Reynolds got on base at a better clip than Davis last season.

Old
12-07-2012, 11:30 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Ike Davis is pretty darn good. He hit 32 HRs and drove in almost 100 without being at 100%. Imagine if he can work on his swing and timing with that power.

Get rid of Duda. I'm not sold on him at all. The best he can ever be is a poor man's Steve Balboni or some above average 1980s power hitter.

Yankees should bring back Ichiro and have him and Gardner as either the 1-2 or 1 and 9. The late 70s Yankees had Rivers and Randolph, the 80s Mets had Wilson/Backman and even Dysktra. Having two guys like that at the top of your lineup is a different dimension. The feast or famine offense isn't going to win a championship.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 12:20 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Who is mediocre. Carlos Pena and Mark Reynolds got on base at a better clip than Davis last season.
Absolutely not. Ike was awful in the first half of the season because of Valley Fever, and then was a monster in the second half.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 09:38 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30theking View Post
i believe cano is untouchable. the guy in my opinion is the best second baseman in the league and is the best 2nd baseman they ever had. i know he struggled in the playoffs last year but he still young and can do better. i would say he's our most valuable player right now.
I don't think that's what it's about. It's about the contract you'll have to give him.
Boras is his agent and he's going command something ridiculous. I'm not sure the Yankees want to give him a crazy contract.

Keep in mind, he's already 30.

Old
12-08-2012, 10:32 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Yanks need to pick it up with Ichiro. Don't want him getting impatient and we wind up losing him, that would be a big blow.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 01:11 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
Ike Davis is pretty darn good. He hit 32 HRs and drove in almost 100 without being at 100%. Imagine if he can work on his swing and timing with that power.

Get rid of Duda. I'm not sold on him at all. The best he can ever be is a poor man's Steve Balboni or some above average 1980s power hitter.

Yankees should bring back Ichiro and have him and Gardner as either the 1-2 or 1 and 9. The late 70s Yankees had Rivers and Randolph, the 80s Mets had Wilson/Backman and even Dysktra. Having two guys like that at the top of your lineup is a different dimension. The feast or famine offense isn't going to win a championship.
Get rid of Duda for what? It's worth holding on to him to see if he ever gets right.

12-08-2012, 01:44 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeetchisGod View Post
The Yankees aren't about being fine. This isn't some irrelevant small market team that is happy to merely make the postseason. The Yankees are about winning titles. There are weaknesses on this team that are preventing them from accomplishing that, namely an aging and largely one dimensional lineup. All we are doing is trying to address those weaknesses.
They've been "aging" for 10 years now...or is it 15????

Cashman isn't a great GM but I think he knows how to gauge when his team is close to the tipping point. They're close, but not that close.

Making big free agent splashes dont give you a championship. Detroit is lucky to have made it only because Chicago choked. For 7/8's of the season they stunk.

Angels, Dodgers, Red Sox and Phillies all made huge offseason moves a year or two ago and it amounted to nothing.

Tyler Austin and Mason Williams are both two years away. Both aren't bombers. They're extra-base hit machines.

For right now, Suzuki, Granderson, possibly Ibanez, possibly Youkilis are all fine stopgaps until they reload.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 02:11 PM
McDonaghisGod
Oh, the pain!

Quote:
They've been "aging" for 10 years now...or is it 15????

Cashman isn't a great GM but I think he knows how to gauge when his team is close to the tipping point. They're close, but not that close.

Making big free agent splashes dont give you a championship. Detroit is lucky to have made it only because Chicago choked. For 7/8's of the season they stunk.

Angels, Dodgers, Red Sox and Phillies all made huge offseason moves a year or two ago and it amounted to nothing.

Tyler Austin and Mason Williams are both two years away. Both aren't bombers. They're extra-base hit machines.

For right now, Suzuki, Granderson, possibly Ibanez, possibly Youkilis are all fine stopgaps until they reload.
That is an understatement. He's lucky that the Yankees' vast resources have bailed him out of his numerous mistakes. Many teams would have cut the cord on him awhile ago. To be clear, I'm not advocating a big free agent splash. I think signing hamilton would be a mistake. It appears however that Granderson may have the most trade value out of their redundant one dimensional hitters. If that is the case they would be stupid not to see what they could get for him.

McDonaghisGod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 05:43 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Get rid of Duda for what? It's worth holding on to him to see if he ever gets right.
I don't know. I like Lucas but he's literally one of the worst defensive outfielders in MLB history, and Ike is better than him at first.

Duda could become an above average DH with his power in the AL.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 07:51 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Quote:

Lineup is:

SS Jeter
LF Suzuki
2B Cano
1B Texeira
3B A-Rod
CF Granderson
DH Ibanez?
RF Gardner
C Stewart

At least 90 wins I'm sure. But we just made it to the ALCS. Why don't we try to get better and go for a Championship?

When the Rangers made it to the ECF everyone on here was thinking Cup. It should be no different for the Yankees.

The current lineup is close, but it is NOT good enough to win a Championship, and when you make the final 4 I that becomes the goal.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote