HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The oilers! A defensemen! And the 2013 draft!

Old
12-06-2012, 07:17 PM
Stoneman89

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
You're still assuming there will be a CBA in June. The draft is part of the CBA, so no CBA = no draft. If the lockout carries over into next season, then the 2014 draft class could include all 2013 eligible players as well.

Of course, the league and the PA seem to make things up as they go along, so there's really no saying in what's going to happen and any scenario is possible.
If it works out that way, that 2014 draft class could be wicked. Double your pleasure, and an extra year to make the call on the 2013 guys.

Stoneman89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 08:05 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

If that was the case would the draft go 14 rounds instead of the regular 7 so that all of the players from both drafts will be picked?

Mr Forever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 08:23 PM
40oz

Well that would make the Cogliano trade a little bit better...

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 10:15 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

Definitely... if both drafts are held together, that 1st round is going to be lethal with great prospects well into the 2nd round as well.

Columbus has THREE 1st round picks in the next draft... just imagine if the 2013 and 2014 drafts are combined... and then Columbus does really well in the lottery with those 3 picks... they could end up with something like 3 top 10 picks. MacKinnon/Jones/Ekblad... instant rebuild.

nexttothemoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 11:27 PM
Hoogaar23

Well I'm going to be greedy and say Mackinnon please and thanks. Or Seth Jones

Smid - Petry
Jones - J Schultz
Who - Cares

Hoogaar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 11:32 PM
Hoogaar23

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Definitely... if both drafts are held together, that 1st round is going to be lethal with great prospects well into the 2nd round as well.

Columbus has THREE 1st round picks in the next draft... just imagine if the 2013 and 2014 drafts are combined... and then Columbus does really well in the lottery with those 3 picks... they could end up with something like 3 top 10 picks. MacKinnon/Jones/Ekblad... instant rebuild.
Yeah - If I was a Jackets fan, would be hoping for a cancelled season. You would have to think both the Rags and Kings would make the playoffs and pick 20+, but with a lottery, like you said, they could potentially end up with 3 top 10 picks.

Hoogaar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 12:17 AM
OILFAN #81

Seth Jones would be the guy that I want. A potential 1st pairing defenseman who is a big guy, a decent skater, is physical, and has a good shot. Could be that 1st pairing dman we need in a few years.

But with their being no hockey and picking lower, it will be BPA.

OILFAN #81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 03:57 AM
oilinblood

vCash: 553
keep in mind that the last time they did the full draft lottery they flipped round 2. So it might not be so bad for us to select in the middle or late stage and select 2 guys who have slipped.

oilinblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 04:01 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

If the NHLPA succeeds with decertification then doesn't that nullify the draft?

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 06:18 AM
Baggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post
Yeah - If I was a Jackets fan, would be hoping for a cancelled season. You would have to think both the Rags and Kings would make the playoffs and pick 20+, but with a lottery, like you said, they could potentially end up with 3 top 10 picks.
If I were a Jackets fan, I would want the season canceled anyways.

Baggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 09:33 PM
simperi
Let`s go Oilers!

Would absolutely love to see the Oilers draft Nikita Zadorov from London Knights. A _big_ russian kid with a little offensive upside building also, I think. Would require a top 10 pick though.

simperi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 03:12 AM
dixs35

Monahan or the Russian-Finn Barkov are the only 2 guys I want if we are drafting out of the top 2. I would be willing to give up a lot to move into position to get either.

dixs35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 04:13 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
If the NHLPA succeeds with decertification then doesn't that nullify the draft?
in theory it also nukes all current contracts

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 04:13 AM
Oilers4life1987

I totally agree with dixs35 on the above post as I strongly believe our need for a guy like Monahan,Barkov are the 2nd line center we desperately need. However, I'd be happy if you get either Drouin or Pulock but Pulock won't make the team right off the bat since the Oilers top 4 would look something like these in the following years:

J.Schultz/Klefbom
Petry/Smid or N.Schultz or Whitney

and the other pairing could be either Teubert or Bigos/Musil

On the bright side, The Oilers do have two 2nd round picks and I hope they pick Zach Fucale if he isn't gone by then. Maybe then pick a sold D-man in the next rounds. D-man don't have to be 1st round picks to be stud d man.

Oilers4life1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 01:03 PM
rockinghockey

Lazar has dropped to 13 so it is looking better for the Oilers to get him. I just hope there is a season.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 01:05 PM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
Lazar has dropped to 13 so it is looking better for the Oilers to get him. I just hope there is a season.
Watching Lazar play recently reminds me of his play in the playoffs last year. I think he'll have a monster of a second half that will move him up the draft rankings substantially.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 01:51 PM
topchowda

Personally, I dont trust taking a defenseman first overall. Between Mackinnon and Jones Id take Mackinnon 9/10 times. Jones is a great defenseman but if by the time the draft comes around and our d prospects have developed well, Id take Mackinnon.

Barkov vs Jones is closer for me

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 04:17 PM
DousedInOil

Jason Dickinson is a realistic possibility that would look on our left wing but I highly doubt we take another winger. Anothony Duclair also interests me with his late birthday.

DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 04:26 PM
Roof Daddy

Montreal had the highest pick of the one ball team's at 5th overall (Price). We had 2 balls and ended up 25th. It's all luck of the draw, and when we're talking dumb luck there is none higher than Tambo and his tie. Add to that the meltdown of HFboards if we land in the top 5 and I truly believe it will happen. With all that said, I believe center is a much greater need than D. Leaving the draft with any of the top ranked centers would be deadly. My hope is for Barkov as I believe he would be the best compliment to Yak. With our 2 2nd rders I would like us to trade up back into the 1st rd and land Eric Comrie. Third time's a charm with the Comrie boys.

Roof Daddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 04:47 PM
dnicks17

It's a fairly ideal draft for us, I'd say.

Plenty of big centers. Curtis Lazar, Frederic Gauthier, William Carrier, Sean Monahan, Bo Horvat, Jason Dickinson, Ryan Kujawinski, Alex Barkov, Bogdan Yakimov, Jacob de la Rose, etc.

And the first and second round looks crazy deep for defensemen. Plenty of puck-movers and mean defensive-minded guys. Lots of size too. Josh Morrisey and Jordan Subban are really the only two guys under 6' and 190lbs and they definitely make up for size with their skill.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 03:11 AM
Hynh

Personally, if the defenseman doesn't play the right side I don't want him. You may point out that Schultz and Petry are both RHD but look through the rest of the Oilers' top 4 capable D prospects. Klefbom, Musil, Marincin, Gernat, Simpson and Laleggia are all LHD. A center would complement the team more than yet another LHD.

Hynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 03:26 AM
BarDownBobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hynh View Post
Personally, if the defenseman doesn't play the right side I don't want him. You may point out that Schultz and Petry are both RHD but look through the rest of the Oilers' top 4 capable D prospects. Klefbom, Musil, Marincin, Gernat, Simpson and Laleggia are all LHD. A center would complement the team more than yet another LHD.
Just a note on this: although Gernat is a left shot, he played right side with the Oil Kings all year last year. Hasn't played yet this year, but I think he'd do the same. They've got no right shot dmen.

Regards to the draft, I personally want them to pick Barkov or Monahan, both would be awesome fits.

PS: to whoever mentioned Nichushkin: I asked Button on Twitter(real good source, I know), and he said he's seen him play 12 times, and every time was on the wing. Either side.

BarDownBobo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 03:51 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Personally, I dont trust taking a defenseman first overall. Between Mackinnon and Jones Id take Mackinnon 9/10 times. Jones is a great defenseman but if by the time the draft comes around and our d prospects have developed well, Id take Mackinnon.

Barkov vs Jones is closer for me
I disagree. You take BPA no matter what position they are and for me, and a lot of scouts, that's Jones. Last year you could essentially choose one aspect of a dman you were looking for and there was someone that was elite at it for you to take... It's similar again this year, except that no matter what qualities you're looking for, the answer is Jones. There's nothing he can't do

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 04:34 AM
Hynh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarDownBobo View Post
Just a note on this: although Gernat is a left shot, he played right side with the Oil Kings all year last year. Hasn't played yet this year, but I think he'd do the same. They've got no right shot dmen.

Regards to the draft, I personally want them to pick Barkov or Monahan, both would be awesome fits.
Good call. If I remember correctly, Klefbom plays the right side on occasion (with Brodin I remember). Still, I'd prefer not to add to the pile up on the left.

Monahan is one of my favorites of the players that are plausible for the Oilers (along with Pulock) simply because he's older and more proven than many of the others. With a little luck and some other teams making mistakes (think Couturier falling in 2011) I think we could land him.

Hynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 06:03 AM
hemsky88

I would also go with Mackinnon, just because drafting a defenseman first is risky.

hemsky88 is offline   Reply With Quote