HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Ryan O'Reilly Signs With Magnitogorsk (2-yr deal)

Closed Thread

Old
12-07-2012, 04:41 PM
Cynthesis

vCash: 500
You have to be absolutely crazy to think ROR won't be back as soon as the lockout ends. There is no way his agent agreed to a deal that won't let him leave when he wants. ROR and his agent aren't that stupid... It doesn't matter what the GM of the khl team says or wants, ROR will be on a plane to Colorado as soon as the lockout is over. The 2 year thing is just in-case the lockout lasts a long time. I'm not concerned about this in any way, shape or form.

Old
12-07-2012, 06:07 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Bingo. It'll probably between $2.5M-$3M. Fair but something he knows Avs will be able to beat. Just my guess, of course.

As for Sherman and his MO. I can't think of a single player move by him that didn't have one or more of these elements.

* helps fill a team need (Shattenkirk, Quincey, Stewart)
* moving a player with questionable work ethic/compete level (Stewart, Wolski)
* a player that didn't work out here for one reason or another (Galiardi, Anderson)
* a player that was looking for too much money on the next contract (Winnik, Quincey)

I just don't see Avs front office being this group of easily offended guys that decides because a player wants to get paid he can't stay. It might have been so in the past but these days it seems to be all about building a team that plays the right way and there are few players on Avs that fits better for what I think is their vision of Avs hockey than O'Reilly.
As I mentioned, if he signed a FAIR deal in Russia, this is all for not but I'd be surprised if that was the case. The 2nd year smells bad, it smells real bad.

If that is the case, then yeah, there'd be no real problem then. I hope you're right.

Old
12-07-2012, 07:33 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
That fair deal is still 3x what he made last season...

Old
12-07-2012, 07:51 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennessy View Post
He's done as an Av. Remember what they did to Drury? Or anyone who played hardball? It doesn't matter if he's coming back to the NHL or not. Doing this as an RFA punks the Avs and they won't abide by it.
http://www.nytimes.com/1997/08/07/sp...m-rangers.html

Old
12-07-2012, 07:57 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
That's a good point.

It REALLY depends on the dollar amount on his KHL contract. If he signed for $3M per season, then this is not really a big deal and that simply becomes the 'floor' for any contract he'd eventually sign with the Avs.

However, if they've been negotiating back and forth over the summer anywhere between $2.5M and $4.5M (just to use as an example) and O'Reilly goes and signs for over $5M per season, that's going to be an issue, I guarantee it.

Old
12-07-2012, 08:10 PM
Foppa2118

vCash: 50
Quote:
You guys are over-analyzing things. He'll be back with the Avs.
Yea, there's no part of me that thinks the ultimate team guy like O'Reilly wouldn't come back to the Avs if the lockout ended. Let alone two years. Even if he got sued.

I think there's probably a lot of rumors, and mis translations, and the GM saying things to hype up his fans.

My bet is it's as simple as Ryan has at least a good idea of what kind of contract he'll get from the Avs, if not a handshake deal made since the Avs wanted to wait until after the CBA. He probably just signed a deal for less with Magnitogorsk. Then when the Avs sign him to a bigger deal, they're essentially guying out his deal with Magnitogorsk, and they're getting a little extra cash and O'Reilly for however many games.

Old
12-07-2012, 08:38 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Yea, there's no part of me that thinks the ultimate team guy like O'Reilly wouldn't come back to the Avs if the lockout ended. Let alone two years. Even if he got sued.

I think there's probably a lot of rumors, and mis translations, and the GM saying things to hype up his fans.

My bet is it's as simple as Ryan has at least a good idea of what kind of contract he'll get from the Avs, if not a handshake deal made since the Avs wanted to wait until after the CBA. He probably just signed a deal for less with Magnitogorsk. Then when the Avs sign him to a bigger deal, they're essentially guying out his deal with Magnitogorsk, and they're getting a little extra cash and O'Reilly for however many games.
I hope you're right.

Old
12-08-2012, 07:24 AM
RobinDIF
Reunite ROR & Landy!

When people talk about the Avs getting rid of anyone who plays hardball they seem to forget that Joe Sakic signed an offer sheet with the Rangers forcing Avs to come up with big money.

Isn't it more accurate to say that Avs get rid of any expandable player who tries to play hardball?

Old
12-08-2012, 07:50 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Anyone compairing Joe Sakic and his deal with the Rangers to Radar and his deal with Magnitogorsk is out to lunch. At the time Joe signed that offer sheet he was one of the best players in the NHL, SC champion, Conn Smythe winner etc, losing him would be a giant blow to the whole organization, one that would be really hard to recover from, losing O'Reilly would hurt, but lets not pretend that losing him would have such a crippling effect as losing Joe.

This looks like Chris Drury situation 2.0.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:29 AM
Lonewolfe2015

I respectfully disagree. The lockout changes everything. He'll be back with the Avs come Game 1.

Old
12-08-2012, 09:42 AM
Jaymond Flurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
When people talk about the Avs getting rid of anyone who plays hardball they seem to forget that Joe Sakic signed an offer sheet with the Rangers forcing Avs to come up with big money.

Isn't it more accurate to say that Avs get rid of any expandable player who tries to play hardball?
The key here is that while it sure was Avs, how many of the same people are in charge now? Also the profile of team has changed totally.

Old
12-08-2012, 10:05 AM
Kshahdoo

Quote:
The first two months he got 35% offensive zone starts playing with Landeskog and Winnik. O'Reilly wasn't handed anything. The more offensive role and PP time he got the second half of the season, he earned through his play.

We have no reason to assume he wants to break the bank. Given Avs history with RFAs there is a bigger chance they want to underpay him.
Consdering Avs are owned by the same Stan Kroenke, who owns Arsenal... Well, I think you are right.

Old
12-08-2012, 10:15 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
I respectfully disagree. The lockout changes everything. He'll be back with the Avs come Game 1.
I hope you're right.

Old
12-08-2012, 10:35 AM
chet1926

Well I hope Radar fans aren't getting used to him being around. Radar agent just gave him about the worst advice ever if he if wanted to be part of the Avs long term.

1 thing all agents should know about the Avs by now is you don't hold them hostage unless you want out.

They'll sign him and trade him, O'Reilly is as good as gone now that he pulled this stunt. Sorry O'Reilly fans.

It really bugs me that O'Reilly let one good year statistically go to his head. Now all of sudden he thinks he is big time and that he can hold out and make absurd contract demands. Let be realistic it would be hard to justify O'Reilly making more than Duchene. And hypothetically if he and his agent were asking for a similar dollar amount to what Duchene's contract is then a deal would have been made. Now with this signing its clear that O'Reilly was asking at minimum 4 mil per, probably more which would be absurd for one good year offensively.

I for one am not worried about it, hopefully O'Reilly will be traded for a quality young dman. Then next year you would still have Duchene and Staz in the middle. And hopefully by the following year Duchene will have proven proven everyone wrong, Staz will be Staz and then we could add Sgarbossa as the 2nd line center and put Staz and his defensively responsible self on the 3rd line.

Overall really disappointed with O'Reilly he made a terrible decision where its clear either he was fed bad info by his agent or he let his own arrogance get involved. Either way I expected better from him.

Old
12-08-2012, 10:55 AM
Landeskog The Viking
Duchene The Boss

Good post i agree if it gets sour trade him for a D guy

Old
12-08-2012, 11:08 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

I bet you guys 1 million HF dollars that ROR will be back when he signs a new contract with Avs, which will happen. He just signed one more year to put pressure on the Avs, definitely was agents idea than his own.

Old
12-08-2012, 11:12 AM
Drij

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
for Avs it can be problem, but not for Ryan. The most important is interest of player not club. The player is not owned by club, he just works for club .. now for Magnitogorsk, maybe later for Avs or whoever. That is the life.

Finally, it is problem of Avs management that did not sign him.

EDIT
maybe off topic. Ryan signed in KHL, does not this mean that there is no NHL this season? so what lose for Avs?
No, Ryan has not earned that yet. The team comes first.

Old
12-08-2012, 11:15 AM
BoxOfChocolates

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I bet you guys 1 million HF dollars that ROR will be back when he signs a new contract with Avs, which will happen. He just signed one more year to put pressure on the Avs, definitely was agents idea than his own.
It's a given that he'll sign a contract with the Avs eventually. The question is though, how long will he be with the Avs after the contract's been signed.

Old
12-08-2012, 12:08 PM
Jaymond Flurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kshahdoo View Post
Consdering Avs are owned by the same Stan Kroenke, who owns Arsenal... Well, I think you are right.
I'm a bit confused, but doesn't Josh Kroenke own Avs or what is his role?

Old
12-08-2012, 12:38 PM
Kshahdoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymond Flurrie View Post
I'm a bit confused, but doesn't Josh Kroenke own Avs or what is his role?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stan_Kroenke

Old
12-08-2012, 12:42 PM
Top 6 Spaling

First off, love the Avs and hopes he comes back. This is just a hypothetical.

If ROR and the Avs can't find a deal (unlikely), any interest in Josi/Ellis+/Blum+ for him? Josi is my favorite Pred and IMO the perfect partner for EJ. He played 2nd pairing for us last year and Trotz said he is slotted to play beside Weber as soon as the lockout ends. Hate to lose him, but I really like Radar.

Blum and Ellis would be much easier to give up, not because they have less potential but because they aren't as vital at the moment to our team. I think we would add for either of them.

We could also do Wilson+, but I've heard you need defense.

Again, this is JUST if he wants out, which I doubt.

Old
12-08-2012, 12:49 PM
Lonewolfe2015

Just because I'm a fan of the players, I'd be interested in Josi + Watson + something like a 1st for O'Reilly + 3rd deal, but that's probably asking too much. It's realistically what his value would probably be if the NHL were playing atm and Sherman isn't going to move him for less given his potential.

But we really don't need prospect dmen and Josi is still a couple years away from being ideal for the role he'd be acquired for. We have temporary plugs while Siemens/Gaunce develop.

Old
12-08-2012, 12:54 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Just because I'm a fan of the players, I'd be interested in Josi + Watson + something like a 1st for O'Reilly + 3rd deal, but that's probably asking too much. It's realistically what his value would probably be if the NHL were playing atm and Sherman isn't going to move him for less given his potential.

But we really don't need prospect dmen and Josi is still a couple years away from being ideal for the role he'd be acquired for. We have temporary plugs while Siemens/Gaunce develop.
Alright, fair enough. And yeah, we can't do that first deal. Ryan O'Reilly is an upgrade over Fisher, but not a big enough one to merit losing our #2D+top F spec+1st

Old
12-08-2012, 01:16 PM
JoemAvs

vCash: 250
I fear the worst.

The timing is just too messed up.
Why sign such a contract now? Did he know that this weeks negotiations would go the way they did?
Even if he did, there would have been no harm in waitingfor 3 or 4 more weeks until the season is cancelled and than sign that damn contract.
It just looks bad. Obvious powerplay move.
And the Avs don't respond all to kindly to things like that IIRC. I expect that he will not spend much of his next contract with the Avs (first few months only and than get traded for good value)

Why Radar why?

If Lacroix really ships him off , I just hope that we do not trade him to Toronto.....

Old
12-08-2012, 01:23 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

I'd love to get Josi on our team.

Closed Thread