HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

Fake queen calls hospital

Old
12-08-2012, 01:52 AM
OilerNut*

vCash: 500
What radio morning comedy show hasn't done a prank call like this? Yet everyone thinks these 2 should die a horrible death.

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 02:20 AM
ZDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockFlagAndEagle View Post
Wow, that took an unexpected turn..the radio hosts must feel awful right now. I feel quite bad for them, a little joke turns into this and now they will have to live with it for the rest of their lives.
They shouldn't. I wouldn't. Hell Ive had first hand experience in a scenario where a friend killed himself after we both got caught doing something illegal and got in an ass ton of trouble. I dont dwell on it, im not responsible for his actions.

ZDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 03:51 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
I got a good laugh out of the hoax. Anything to get 'em on edge I guess.

Sucks that the nurse took it too seriously though. If, in fact, her choosing to take her own life was directly because of this.
here is the UK she was being riduled very badly and reportedly was getting herassed at home and was facing being stuck off being a nurse. The powers that be were going to toss her under the truck

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 06:55 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutbar View Post
The whole idea of a monarchy is stupid.
Where are you from, may I ask?

Whilst it's a bit much to blame the Dj's for her death they're being held accountable for something to do with private calls in the Australian courts.

Isn't impersonating the Queen treason as well?

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 11:40 AM
jimmythescot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Where are you from, may I ask?

Whilst it's a bit much to blame the Dj's for her death they're being held accountable for something to do with private calls in the Australian courts.

Isn't impersonating the Queen treason as well?
Helen Mirren is screwed!

The DJs must have known it would likely result in the nurse getting in trouble. Unless they don't have confidentiality in Australia (doubtful). Maybe they don't realise the witch hunts this country go through every chance it gets. Remember David Kelly?

I suppose they could have bleeped the 'revelations', but even then they were passed through without proper clearance.

jimmythescot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 11:53 AM
OilerNut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythescot View Post
Helen Mirren is screwed!

The DJs must have known it would likely result in the nurse getting in trouble. Unless they don't have confidentiality in Australia (doubtful). Maybe they don't realise the witch hunts this country go through every chance it gets. Remember David Kelly?

I suppose they could have bleeped the 'revelations', but even then they were passed through without proper clearance.
If you watch their interview they were shocked that they got past the switchboard even so I think they just continued on not knowing what to do as they were live on the air.

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 12:17 PM
jimmythescot

Yeah, I've not heard it, so I probably shouldn't comment.

jimmythescot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 12:56 PM
Johnnywhite

I find the public & global humiliation of a healthcare worker while at her job an act of total & despicable BULLYING. I agree that these two jackasses did not foresee the tragic consequences, but I sincerely hope that they remain forever unemployable pariahs in their chosen field...not for the consequence, but for using their status & audience for the despicable act of bullying an innocent person at their work.

Johnnywhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 01:15 PM
yotesreign

As I read it, the nurse who originally got the call put it through to the attending nurse, and the nurse who put the call through is the one who killed herself, not the attending who gave confidential info to the pranksters. But either way, the nurse committing suicide overreacted if this spurred her into action, just as if she hadn't killed herself but if her bosses had ordered someone to kill her over this, or if some deranged fan of the royals took it upon himself to kill her for forwarding the call, those people would be over-reacting to it.

The Djs did nothing wrong, imo. They called the hospital in fake voices and asked for info. They got put through to someone who talked to them. That's not their problem. If anyone can call up the hospital in a funny voice and ask for info on a patient, that's bad on the hospital, it's procedures, protocols, training programs, employee practices and manuals. if they do that with a high profile patient like the Prince's wife, what do they do with the average bloke? Can anyone call in and ask how Mr. Jones is doing and get put through to his nurse? Does the UK even have patient confidentiality, or is that not an issue there (I don't know)?

It's awkward for the DJs that the nurse offed herself, but they should not feel any guilt in her action. Maybe her bosses harangued her over it; maybe her husband griped at her about it, maybe her co-worklers cramped to her about it, teased her, whatever - I have no way of knowing, but if the DJs didn't tell her to kill herself I don't see them responsible for her doing it.

yotesreign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 01:15 PM
go_leafs_go02

vCash: 695
It wasn't bullying though. It was a prank call that shocked the hosts in how far they got with it. You can tell they didn't know where to go with it once they got past the switchboard.

go_leafs_go02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 01:21 PM
yotesreign

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
It wasn't bullying though. It was a prank call that shocked the hosts in how far they got with it. You can tell they didn't know where to go with it once they got past the switchboard.
Yeah, maybe the previous poster heard a more extended version of the call? Because what I heard they weren't bullying anyone at all on the call, just asking for info and they did seem caught a bit off-guard when they got past the switchboard.

Of course the word bullying gets tossed around so much these days that with some people if you ask them nicely "Can you pass the salt, please?" they scream you're bullying them.

yotesreign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 01:24 PM
Teemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotesreign View Post
It's awkward for the DJs that the nurse offed herself, but they should not feel any guilt in her action. Maybe her bosses harangued her over it; maybe her husband griped at her about it, maybe her co-worklers cramped to her about it, teased her, whatever - I have no way of knowing, but if the DJs didn't tell her to kill herself I don't see them responsible for her doing it.
Despite the hospital's claim of innocence, I would guess that they were the biggest force behind the suicide. Her job would be in jeopardy if this happened in the US, and I doubt its too much different in the UK. Hospitals take privacy very seriously, and this whole thing is a BIG black stain on the hospital.

Teemu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 02:37 PM
davemess

I have never understood why TV or Radio should be allowed to put somebody on air without getting their consent first.

davemess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 02:46 PM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

Send a message via AIM to MainDotC Send a message via Yahoo to MainDotC Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu View Post
Despite the hospital's claim of innocence, I would guess that they were the biggest force behind the suicide. Her job would be in jeopardy if this happened in the US, and I doubt its too much different in the UK. Hospitals take privacy very seriously, and this whole thing is a BIG black stain on the hospital.
It looks like the UK takes measures to centralise data and protect it electronically but I don't see anything like HIPPA in place to protect against general medical inquiries in non-electronic form. I hope for the sake of the people of the UK that I'm mistaken: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical...United_Kingdom

MainDotC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 03:39 PM
ZDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess View Post
I have never understood why TV or Radio should be allowed to put somebody on air without getting their consent first.
Agreed.

ZDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 04:03 PM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

Send a message via AIM to MainDotC Send a message via Yahoo to MainDotC Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
Quote:
Because people have the right not to answer or give out information over the phone?

MainDotC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 04:42 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
here is the UK she was being riduled very badly and reportedly was getting herassed at home and was facing being stuck off being a nurse. The powers that be were going to toss her under the truck
All that for relaying some info over the phone?

Wow, overreact much, UK?

12-08-2012, 04:49 PM
Osprey

I dislike pranks and think that what the DJs did was stupid, but they weren't responsible for the nurse's death. Last night, in reporting it, ABC News led with the title "prank gone too far." That wasn't their line before the nurse killed herself, though. They and most media outlets treated the prank as a mildly amusing, lighter news segment. Why did the DJ's not go too far then, when there was seemingly "no harm, no foul," but suddenly did go too far days later, after things were out of their control?

This is a growing problem, IMO: people tend to judge actions by their reactions. If no harm was done, people brush it off; if harm was done, they call for repercussions. It becomes up to the victim to determine the punishment by how he or she reacts, rather than up to societal standards of behavior. If I call you "fat" and you brush it off, nothing is likely to happen to me, but if I call you "fat" just once and you kill yourself shortly afterward, the condemnation of the community will come down on me as if I were the one who killed you. We have to be careful about that kind of double standard. We do have a responsibility to think about others, but we're responsible for our own actions and shouldn't be responsible for everything that others do. The DJs should've realized the potential harm in what they were doing, but they should be criticized or reprimanded for that poor decision-making, not so much for what happened later, as tragic as it was.

Quote:
I don't know about other countries, but, in the States, TV networks are pretty good about getting permission and blurring or hiding the faces of those whom they don't get it from. I'm not sure how much of that is law and how much is just fear of lawsuit, though. Either way, though, it comes down to whether the person is personally identifiable, so that what he's doing or saying could come back to haunt him. I could be wrong, but I think that if you were to prank call somebody and put it on the air, you'd be in the clear, legally, if listeners couldn't identify who the person was. If the nurse had given her first and last name on the air and the DJs had continued to prank her, they might've crossed a legal line... though it's possible that privacy/libel laws are looser in Australia.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 05:09 PM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

Quote:
All that for relaying some info over the phone?

Wow, overreact much, UK?
You say that as if it was the whole nation, I didn't even know it happened until I saw this thread. I highly doubt there was an angry mob of random public going after her, it was most likely co-workers, acquaintances and her bosses coming down hard. These people do not represent an entire nation of 60 million

Last edited by Propane Nightmares: 12-08-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 06:15 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginary Threats View Post
You say that as if it was the whole nation, I didn't even know it happened until I saw this thread. I highly doubt there was an angry mob of random public going after her, it was most likely co-workers, acquaintances and her bosses coming down hard. These people do not represent an entire nation of 60 million
Fair enough, but it's still an overreaction considering the "victims" of this hoax, the so-called "royals".

Is their medical status really that important to protect?

Does it merit the relentless harassment of an unfortunate pawn who apparently made a poor choice?

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 06:20 PM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

Quote:
Is their medical status really that important to protect?
I believe it wasn't just her medical status, there was personal information/details too, which the media wasn't allowed to tell us what exactly it was.

Old
12-08-2012, 07:19 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Did she actually kill herself? That's what I was thinking, but the news station I heard it from never directly said suicide.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 07:25 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
If you watch their interview they were shocked that they got past the switchboard even so I think they just continued on not knowing what to do as they were live on the air.
From what I've heard, it was all pre-recorded.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 07:31 PM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
From what I've heard, it was all pre-recorded.
Yes it was pre-recorded according to a BBC article

Old
12-09-2012, 08:57 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

The problem wasn't the prank call, it was that there were enough people worshiping the Kardashians of the political world to turn a honest mistake to something that pushed someone to suicide.

Brad Tolliver is offline   Reply With Quote