HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW Nicolas Kerdiles (2012, 36th overall, Anaheim)

Old
12-08-2012, 12:51 AM
Xokkeu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Yeah I noticed that too. He really seemed like he wanted to do everything he could to make a great impression and things like offsides pissed him off.

But I love his toolbox and frame. He's got good potential is Wisconsin develops him right.
Just look at the past Wisconsin alumni. They take 2nd and 3rd rounders and turn them into NHL players. Probably one of the best schools for it. It doesn't help the team because most of the players leave early, but it produces players like Stepan, Schultz, Craig Smith etc.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 01:47 PM
DuckJet
I love Monabae

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Just look at the past Wisconsin alumni. They take 2nd and 3rd rounders and turn them into NHL players. Probably one of the best schools for it. It doesn't help the team because most of the players leave early, but it produces players like Stepan, Schultz, Craig Smith etc.
I think even if he just falls short of those guys' talent we'll still have come away with pretty good value.

DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 03:18 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
I think even if he just falls short of those guys' talent we'll still have come away with pretty good value.
I wasn't comparing him directly to those players, just saying that Wisconsin has a long track record of taking coal and turning them into diamonds.

Old
12-08-2012, 04:24 PM
DuckJet
I love Monabae

Quote:
I wasn't comparing him directly to those players, just saying that Wisconsin has a long track record of taking coal and turning them into diamonds.
I understand that. I mean I'm just saying that it's all you can hope for out of a second round pick (effective top 9 player) anything more is a happy bonus. Except when your happy bonus skips signing a contract with your team.

Old
12-08-2012, 05:05 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
I understand that. I mean I'm just saying that it's all you can hope for out of a second round pick (effective top 9 player) anything more is a happy bonus. Except when your happy bonus skips signing a contract with your team.
Yeah sorry about that.

Old
12-09-2012, 03:46 AM
puckfan13

Quote:
You can say the system produces them but I think they are also just really good at recruiting and picking all-around talented, good character guys as well. Sort of a chicken and egg sort of thing. Maybe Mike Eaves is just a better scout than all these NHL guys and they would have turned put regardless of the system. But I strongly suspect it is a mixture of the environment and recruiting excellence in turning out NHL players consistently.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 04:12 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
You can say the system produces them but I think they are also just really good at recruiting and picking all-around talented, good character guys as well. Sort of a chicken and egg sort of thing. Maybe Mike Eaves is just a better scout than all these NHL guys and they would have turned put regardless of the system. But I strongly suspect it is a mixture of the environment and recruiting excellence in turning out NHL players consistently.
I am going to preface this by saying that I'm not going to give numbers to back it up and it's more an observation of mine. I feel like Minnesota or North Dakota for example tends to get the higher regarded recruits, often times drafted higher, usually in the first round. I don't feel like Wisconsin regularly gets the top notch high prospects. Heck Phil Kessel left Madison to go to Minnesota. It seems to me that the program produces a lot of late round NHL talent, and since many players are drafted before they step on campus, I have to give a lot of credit to Eaves. The Badgers take guys like Stepan, Schultz, Pavelski who are all later round picks (2nd or later) and they consistently seem to turn into productive NHLers.

Old
12-09-2012, 09:37 AM
Richiebottles
Moonemojibro

Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
Quote:
I am going to preface this by saying that I'm not going to give numbers to back it up and it's more an observation of mine. I feel like Minnesota or North Dakota for example tends to get the higher regarded recruits, often times drafted higher, usually in the first round. I don't feel like Wisconsin regularly gets the top notch high prospects. Heck Phil Kessel left Madison to go to Minnesota. It seems to me that the program produces a lot of late round NHL talent, and since many players are drafted before they step on campus, I have to give a lot of credit to Eaves. The Badgers take guys like Stepan, Schultz, Pavelski who are all later round picks (2nd or later) and they consistently seem to turn into productive NHLers.
What you said is right, the reason that UND and Minnesota get higher profile prospects is because of the prestige of their programs. Althought every team should be on the same playing field.

It is too bad for smaller, lower profile colleges because they can never have the best possible talent. Although the badgers roster isn't all that bad this year.

I saw Minnesota play against UVM and it is a classic case of what you are describing. They have a bigger budget and get better players.Its a shame if you ask me.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 02:32 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
What you said is right, the reason that UND and Minnesota get higher profile prospects is because of the prestige of their programs. Althought every team should be on the same playing field.

It is too bad for smaller, lower profile colleges because they can never have the best possible talent. Although the badgers roster isn't all that bad this year.

I saw Minnesota play against UVM and it is a classic case of what you are describing. They have a bigger budget and get better players.Its a shame if you ask me.
Well that's just how college sports and pro sports work really. There's no reason Vermont couldn't be more competitive. They would just need a bit of investment, but with tuition at $40,000 plus, why don't they have money? ahaha

Old
12-10-2012, 02:21 PM
DuckJet
I love Monabae

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Probably not important to anyone not a Ducks fan, but as far as character goes I haven't seen a prospect with better character and heart than Nic thus far. He genuinely loves the game. He LIVES the game. And he's very interested in being a well rounded person and being a good student. He had some good parenting for sure.

But while we're on the topic of good character...Schultz? Not to start a flame war or anything, but if he had high quality character he would've honored the draft process with the team that took him. Whether you want to justify your reasoning or not. Not saying he's a ******, though as a Ducks fan I certainly think he is. I'm sure he's a nice guy in person and he seems like a very team oriented guy (at least when it comes to the teams he chooses to grace with his presence).

Old
12-10-2012, 06:49 PM
Richiebottles
Moonemojibro

Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
Quote:
Well that's just how college sports and pro sports work really. There's no reason Vermont couldn't be more competitive. They would just need a bit of investment, but with tuition at $40,000 plus, why don't they have money? ahaha
Ahahah I dont know good question ! It seems like they should produce more NHL talent.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 07:02 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Probably not important to anyone not a Ducks fan, but as far as character goes I haven't seen a prospect with better character and heart than Nic thus far. He genuinely loves the game. He LIVES the game. And he's very interested in being a well rounded person and being a good student. He had some good parenting for sure.

But while we're on the topic of good character...Schultz? Not to start a flame war or anything, but if he had high quality character he would've honored the draft process with the team that took him. Whether you want to justify your reasoning or not. Not saying he's a ******, though as a Ducks fan I certainly think he is. I'm sure he's a nice guy in person and he seems like a very team oriented guy (at least when it comes to the teams he chooses to grace with his presence).
Schultz played by the rules. Nothing to about character if you ask me.

Old
12-10-2012, 07:15 PM
DuckJet
I love Monabae

Quote:
Schultz played by the rules. Nothing to about character if you ask me.
Well let's leave it at that before this thread gets hijacked.

Old
01-15-2013, 12:11 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

brief write-up on Nic in the New York Times:

Kerdiles Keeps Commitment and Powers Wisconsin

http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/201...ers-wisconsin/

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:13 AM
DuckJet
I love Monabae

Last I checked the team hasn't lost since he joined the line up.

Old
01-15-2013, 11:06 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Last I checked the team hasn't lost since he joined the line up.
They haven't. In the few home games I've seen of him, he's shown that he's in a class above most of the players on the team.

They are riding a six game winning streak, but keep in mind that they are playing a soft spot in their schedule. Michigan Tech (two ties) 11th in the WCHA, Alabama Huntsville (worst D1 team in the country), UAA (12th in WCHA) and Minnesota State 8th in WCHA.

Old
03-24-2013, 12:49 AM
Exit Dose

Bumped for the WCHA tournament MVP.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 05:14 AM
Gliff
Wild Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Bumped for the WCHA tournament MVP.
Doesnt want to play for the Ducks amiright?

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 04:14 PM
DuckJet
I love Monabae

I was so happy to get this kid. Him and Roy (and obviously Anderson and Lindholm) are making us real proud.

Old
03-25-2013, 01:29 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

I really think this kid could be the next Ryan Kesler type center, love his game

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 01:36 AM
LVDucks238

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
I really think this kid could be the next Ryan Kesler type center, love his game
Not sure if he really projects as center. Played exclusively at wing this year. In the 4-5 games I saw I'd liken is game to a Marcus Foligno/Dubinsky type of player. Good on the forcheck, lays the body whenever he gets the chance, smart positionally, gets to the front of the net. Average speed. Pretty good shot/passing. Not much flash to his game, but he'll definitely be an NHL'er in some capacity,(2nd/3rd liner) IMO.

LVDucks238 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 01:41 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVDucks238 View Post
Not sure if he really projects as center. Played exclusively at wing this year. In the 4-5 games I saw I'd liken is game to a Marcus Foligno/Dubinsky type of player. Good on the forcheck, lays the body whenever he gets the chance, smart positionally, gets to the front of the net. Average speed. Pretty good shot/passing. Not much flash to his game, but he'll definitely be an NHL'er in some capacity,(2nd/3rd liner) IMO.
i always thought he was projected as a center, i knew he was playing some wing but didn't think he had been converted full time.

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 02:58 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVDucks238 View Post
Agree with this assessment. I see him as a winger at the NHL level. Speed, gritty game, probably a great 3rd line player or a good 2nd line player. Decent scoring touch but nothing to get super excited about in that area. He was a major difference maker for the Badgers this year as a freshman. Not so much in terms of scoring and generating consistent offense, which he did do to a degree, but just adding energy every shift and providing an elite presence on the ice each shift.

Old
03-25-2013, 03:32 AM
allkill326

What areas of play have you tried improving or upgrading to prepare to play in the NHL after being drafted by the Anaheim Ducks?

allkill326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 11:44 AM
parrosfan16

Good article on Kerdiles from NHL.com

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads

parrosfan16 is offline   Reply With Quote