HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Facebook Privacy Question

Old
12-08-2012, 12:21 PM
invictus

vCash: 500
Facebook Privacy Question

So, this came up at work yesterday, and nobody knew the answer. I thought maybe a wise person here did.

We all know privacy is a bit of a sham in the online world, and even the most private of security settings have loopholes for companies that are interested enough to poke around in your profile.

So, we got to discussing what happens when you delete or deactivate your profile.

Presumably, if you actually do 100% delete your profile, it is gone and any scandals involving pictures you posted or inappropriate comments you made disappear. Does that seem correct?

We were just unsure about deactivating a profile. If you deactivate, it can still be brought back at a later date. However, what about that intervening time? Is it still searchable by the powers that be? Or does it really seem just as deleted as a real deletion, and all your idiotic choices you chose to post on social media are not possible to find?

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 12:59 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
It's never deleted. If you ever re-active your account everything is back.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 01:08 PM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

Send a message via AIM to MainDotC Send a message via Yahoo to MainDotC Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
Why did you begin your discussion with "So"? Were you already in conversation or is this topic continued from another thread ?

MainDotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 01:12 PM
Ceremony
Transcendence

vCash: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaindotC View Post
Why did you begin your discussion with "So"? Were you already in conversation or is this topic continued from another thread ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
So, this came up at work yesterday

ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 01:16 PM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Really? I thought there were two distinct options. I've had my Facebook for years and never wanted to delete it or anything. I just thought there was a "Full deletion" option and a "temporary disabling" one.

It came up because we had a staff appreciation last night, and there was a lot of teasing about who would get fired for out-drinking the executive director and how we'd have to delete our Facebooks to hide the evidence from future employers

But, I guess if everything is always there....well, that is kind of creepy actually. Haha.

Old
12-08-2012, 01:31 PM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
How do I permanently delete my account?

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 01:31 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Quote:
Really? I thought there were two distinct options. I've had my Facebook for years and never wanted to delete it or anything. I just thought there was a "Full deletion" option and a "temporary disabling" one.

It came up because we had a staff appreciation last night, and there was a lot of teasing about who would get fired for out-drinking the executive director and how we'd have to delete our Facebooks to hide the evidence from future employers

But, I guess if everything is always there....well, that is kind of creepy actually. Haha.
Those pics are never going away, might want to click link....

http://resumegenius.com/?gclid=CPCLr...FcU-MgodtAMA6Q

Stanley Foobrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 01:36 PM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

Send a message via AIM to MainDotC Send a message via Yahoo to MainDotC Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
Damn straight

MainDotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 02:32 PM
Jacob8hockey*
Maple Leaf Fan

One pathetic thing I recently learned about Facebook is you can take anyone account that you want as long as you have 2 friends willing to help out.

Facebook gives you the option if you 'forgot your email password' to have "3 trusted friends" have codes sent to them and then submitting all 3 to recover the account. Now, all someone techincally has to do is have 3 people start sending friend requests to people and you can have their account within minutes. It is honestly one of the dumbest things they could have added and I hope it gets removed.

Now that is a REAL security issue.

Jacob8hockey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 02:44 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

I have the most amazing security on my Facebook account. No one can access it......

Stanley Foobrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 02:50 PM
Dave
ļ

Once you put it on facebook they own it, why would they delete it?

Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 04:23 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
If you "delete" your profile then employers/people aren't going to be finding your pictures.

But yes the pictures aren't "gone", Facebook owns them.

Morozov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 10:16 PM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsJacob8 View Post
One pathetic thing I recently learned about Facebook is you can take anyone account that you want as long as you have 2 friends willing to help out.

Facebook gives you the option if you 'forgot your email password' to have "3 trusted friends" have codes sent to them and then submitting all 3 to recover the account. Now, all someone techincally has to do is have 3 people start sending friend requests to people and you can have their account within minutes. It is honestly one of the dumbest things they could have added and I hope it gets removed.

Now that is a REAL security issue.
Really? that is pretty weird. I could make up 3 fake hotmail accounts and just use them to get the password of everyone I know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
If you "delete" your profile then employers/people aren't going to be finding your pictures.

But yes the pictures aren't "gone", Facebook owns them.
Right, but what about the deactivate choice? If you put your account in that sort of "hibernate" status, is it still inaccessible to any random company/person in the interim?

Old
12-08-2012, 10:26 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Sorry yeah that's what I meant. If you delete/deactivate your profile then Facebook will still have that content, but me, or your boss, or your wife or whoever aren't going to be able to access it.

Morozov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 10:48 PM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
Sorry yeah that's what I meant. If you delete/deactivate your profile then Facebook will still have that content, but me, or your boss, or your wife or whoever aren't going to be able to access it.
Oh, nice. Sorry for misunderstanding. That is cool. I mean, I plan on being at my job a while, but if I ever apply for the FBI or something, I'll just throw that ***** on deactivate Foolproof!

Old
12-09-2012, 07:52 PM
Jacob8hockey*
Maple Leaf Fan

Quote:
Really? that is pretty weird. I could make up 3 fake hotmail accounts and just use them to get the password of everyone I know?

Right, but what about the deactivate choice? If you put your account in that sort of "hibernate" status, is it still inaccessible to any random company/person in the interim?
Well you would have to be friends with the target on Facebook with all 3 accounts, but if you were then you could.

And to the other guy, your 'security' doesn't matter at all here, it is all about Facebook's recover system. If you don't believe me try to recover your own account and click on the "No longer have access to these?" spot.

Jacob8hockey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 11:47 AM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

The general rule of thumb is this:

Once you upload something to the internet, it's there forever.

The only question is how hard you want to search for it.

Even "permanently deleted" files from things like facebook are still on their servers or elsewhere on the internet at some point.

Facebook has no legal compulsion to truly delete your stuff by the way, why would they delete property they now own? They most likely put it on a storage server, or an offline server, but your info is not gone.

Orpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 12:05 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Anything that you put online that is tied to your name will stick to you forever. Heck, if any of your usernames get tied to your real name then people can find even more about you. Imagine your employer finding out about your HFBoards name and coming and reading all of your posts .

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 07:44 PM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipNash27 View Post
Anything that you put online that is tied to your name will stick to you forever. Heck, if any of your usernames get tied to your real name then people can find even more about you. Imagine your employer finding out about your HFBoards name and coming and reading all of your posts .
A friend figured out my username once when I stayed logged on accidentally and let him borrow my laptop. That was kind of awkward because I have a tendency to ramble in OT threads on here