Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Football
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Football NFL, NCAA, CFL

Goodell floats novel idea for replacing kickoffs

Old
12-07-2012, 08:54 AM
hocky

vCash: 500
So the defense is exhausted, they just gave up a long touchdown drive, and now the opposing offense can just decide to immediately force them to defend a 4th and 15? I'd see teams exploiting the crap outta this and completely changing the game.

hocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 10:00 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
BTW can we change the title? It's not necessarily accurate as it's not Goddell that floated the idea.

The title is direct from the article cited...

Last edited by IU Hawks fan: 12-07-2012 at 06:42 PM.
IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 10:29 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

So everyone really thinks teams would continually go for it on 4th and 15 at their OWN 30 because it's so easy to pick up? Why do so many teams punt on 4th and 5 from the opposing 45 then? Your chicken little scenarios won't happen.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 02:30 PM
Carolinas Identity
I'm a bad troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post
So everyone really thinks teams would continually go for it on 4th and 15 at their OWN 30 because it's so easy to pick up? Why do so many teams punt on 4th and 5 from the opposing 45 then? Your chicken little scenarios won't happen.
This.

One thing I will add tho, is that it'll make close, late games more exciting. As hard as they are to pick up, if my team is trailing late in the 4th after scoring, I'd rather have to convert a 4th & 15 than recover an onside kick.

Carolinas Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 03:05 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

i would be okay with the change
i am impartial to the idea

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 03:27 PM
VLoo

Naturally, Josh Cribbs is against the idea. Honestly, I am too. There's quite a few guys in the league who would have never gotten a spot if not for their good special teams abilities. Hell, Terrell Davis only made the Broncos because he stood out on special teams.

VLoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 06:17 PM
Ryan34222

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWoof View Post
This is disgusting.

leave the kickoff alone FFS.
agreed.. the kick/punt return for a td is probably the most exciting thing in the league.. leave it alone

if they are to mess with it due to concussions blah blah.. leave everthing the same but take kick offs away after feild goals.

Ryan34222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 10:01 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan34222 View Post
agreed.. the kick/punt return for a td is probably the most exciting thing in the league.. leave it alone.
Problem is, the touchback is the most boring/pointless thing in the league. 80% of kickoffs are just a waste of time now.

I'd prefer kickoffs moved back to the 25 as I stated above, but honestly eliminating kickoffs entirely makes more sense than this "lets just get rid of most of them" idea that saw them moved up to the 35.

I mean, really if they feel kickoffs are "too dangerous" as they've stated, why have them at all? This is kind of like the government saying drunk driving is dangerous, and therefore illegal, except on Tuesdays. Doesn't really make much sense.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 02:04 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by hocky View Post
So the defense is exhausted, they just gave up a long touchdown drive, and now the opposing offense can just decide to immediately force them to defend a 4th and 15? I'd see teams exploiting the crap outta this and completely changing the game.
And not take a penalty, mind you

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 03:00 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
The title is direct from the article cited...
Hm. Still not exactly Goddell's idea.

Quote:
agreed.. the kick/punt return for a td is probably the most exciting thing in the league.. leave it alone

if they are to mess with it due to concussions blah blah.. leave everthing the same but take kick offs away after feild goals.
What?

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 08:24 AM
Ryan34222

Quote:
Hm. Still not exactly Goddell's idea.

What?
What part are you whating about so I can help you. The kick/punt returns being exciting or the no kick offs after feild goals?

Old
12-08-2012, 08:26 AM
Ryan34222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
Problem is, the touchback is the most boring/pointless thing in the league. 80% of kickoffs are just a waste of time now.

I'd prefer kickoffs moved back to the 25 as I stated above, but honestly eliminating kickoffs entirely makes more sense than this "lets just get rid of most of them" idea that saw them moved up to the 35.

I mean, really if they feel kickoffs are "too dangerous" as they've stated, why have them at all? This is kind of like the government saying drunk driving is dangerous, and therefore illegal, except on Tuesdays. Doesn't really make much sense.
I'd like them to move kick offs back as well.

Old
12-08-2012, 10:42 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
And not take a penalty, mind you
I can see teams that play ball control using this tactic (Houston Texans) Ground Game + Owen Daniels/Andre Johnson ... 8+ minute drive in the late third Quarter ... puts you up 3 ... get a PI call on the ensuing possession to start ... yeah, this won't be abused at all.

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 11:27 AM
CmonLeafs

I personally hate the idea, but I did read something that I did like somewhere else.

Only kickoffs to start halves - this reduces the amount of kickoffs and improves safety, etc., etc, but still features the sometimes exciting play occasionally. Otherwise, the recieving team just starts at the 20 (which they already essentially do 60-70% of the time.) But the major thing is that each team would be allowed one onside kick attempt per game. The coach could therefore elect to use that near the end of the game.

Personally I much prefer the idea of one given onside kick to the proposed 4th and 15 attempt idea.

CmonLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 03:50 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs0381 View Post
I personally hate the idea, but I did read something that I did like somewhere else.

Only kickoffs to start halves - this reduces the amount of kickoffs and improves safety, etc., etc, but still features the sometimes exciting play occasionally. Otherwise, the recieving team just starts at the 20 (which they already essentially do 60-70% of the time.) But the major thing is that each team would be allowed one onside kick attempt per game. The coach could therefore elect to use that near the end of the game.

Personally I much prefer the idea of one given onside kick to the proposed 4th and 15 attempt idea.
But I like the surprise onside kick...

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 04:00 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
What part are you whating about so I can help you. The kick/punt returns being exciting or the no kick offs after feild goals?
I would agree that maybe to start the game and to start the half would be an interesting idea to have the only kickoffs.

(Your post finally makes sense after re-reading it like a bunch of times)

Old
12-08-2012, 05:42 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

I almost think they'd be better off just moving kicks to the 40 than doing this. So it's either an automatic touchback on an onside kick.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 01:09 AM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
I'll say this, I think it's a better idea than what we have now, which is touchbacks on 80% of kickoffs. It's stupid and a waste of time. At least this would bring some excitement back.

But as far as I'm concerned, move kickoffs back to the 25 and get returns going again. Concussions be damned. These guys are making millions of dollars. If they don't want to risk it, they can go find a normal civilian job. Why don't we outlaw QB sacks? You can get concussions from that too.
My thoughts exactly. As much as I don't really like this idea (aside from making late game heroics a little more interesting), the touchbacks are getting ridiculous. If you're going to ruin them completely, I suppose you can replace them.

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 02:30 AM
Pinkfloyd

I think they should get rid of special teams altogether if they're going to implement this. No field goals, no kickoffs, and no punts. All teams get four downs to convert and turn it over where they are if they don't. That should open up the offense and damn near eliminate all your high speed collisions. Problem is that that is not how pro football works.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 03:07 AM
Pepe Silvia

Instead of coming up with stupid ideas, they should move kickoffs back to the 30. Touchbacks are lame

Pepe Silvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 03:32 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nds90 View Post
Instead of coming up with stupid ideas, they should move kickoffs back to the 30. Touchbacks are lame
So are concussions

Old
12-09-2012, 05:29 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
So are concussions
Every occupation has associated risks. Every guy in the NFL has the choice of walking away from the game and finding a less risky occupation. For millions of dollars, I'd be more than happy to trade places with them and risk concussions. I risk electrocution and other construction site hazards every day for less than 5% of what a lot of no-name special teams guys are making.

Old
12-09-2012, 07:55 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

And every occupation does their best to minimize those risks.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 08:15 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Yes, within reason. Removing an element of the game that has been around forever is definitely stretching the bounds of what's rasonable. The NFL has made rules to eliminate blows to the head and there can be heavy penalties and fines. I'd say they've gone far enough. Eliminating most (or all) kickoffs is going too far IMO. What's the next step? You're not allowed to hit a receiver until he's caught the ball and established his balace? That would reduce injuries to receivers, afterall.

Old
12-09-2012, 08:17 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 900
Quote:
They give them safety equipment, regulations and training. They don't force electricians to become plumbers. Replacing the fundamentals of the game isn't the answer.

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote