HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

12-13' Prospects Thread Version XIII: The name is Cameranesi. Tony Cameranesi.

Closed Thread

Old
12-08-2012, 10:51 AM
The Brewmeister
#Winning.

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to The Brewmeister Send a message via Skype™ to The Brewmeister
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
Lol @ 20th, what a joke. We have the best defensive prospect pool in the league behind only Pittsburgh and we have a lot of depth in the system. Yeah, we may not have lots of "blue chips" like the Islanders or Wild but our pool is far from bare, that's for sure.

What I really don't understand is that HF put us at #5 (IIRC) like 2 years back, and then dropped us to 20th in those two years. Our prospect pool has improved leaps and bounds since then so I don't understand this at all.
Gotta disagree on this. Phoenix is probably the best defensive structured team for today and tomorrow. Our offence is pretty bare in Toronto.

Old
12-08-2012, 11:12 AM
kilgro
Thank you Burke!

**** em. It will make it that much sweeter when our prospects turn out to be better. I'd wipe my ass with this **** if I could

Old
12-08-2012, 11:44 AM
Pi

vCash: 100
I don't really care about prospect rankings..I know Morgan Rielly is going to be an amazing player, I know Nazem Kadri has it in him to be a great player, I know our defensive prospects are extremely good from top to bottom.

What do we need to improve on?

A) DEFENSE.
B) Structured offense...guys like Kadri, Biggs, Ross who fit in the 2nd-3rd line. Kick overpaid guys like Lombardi, Connolly, Armstrong (thank god he's gone) and let the rookies get those gritty roles.
C) Goaltending but that goes hand in hand with the D.

We have everything covered EXCEPT a #1C. If Burke can just get Getzlaf in a Leafs uniform...we're instantly a team that can go the distance if it gets hot at the right time.

Besides a #1C...we're covered. Either get a top pick from the lottery (NO NHL this year IMO), or give Getzlaf a blank cheque.

I could care less if we even pay Getzlaf more than Crosby, because he's still just 27..he'll have two great wingers to work with and a coach/GM he knows.

Old
12-08-2012, 11:55 AM
hockeygeek
Rejisturd User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
I don't really care about prospect rankings..I know Morgan Rielly is going to be an amazing player, I know Nazem Kadri has it in him to be a great player, I know our defensive prospects are extremely good from top to bottom.

What do we need to improve on?

A) DEFENSE.
B) Structured offense...guys like Kadri, Biggs, Ross who fit in the 2nd-3rd line. Kick overpaid guys like Lombardi, Connolly, Armstrong (thank god he's gone) and let the rookies get those gritty roles.
C) Goaltending but that goes hand in hand with the D.

We have everything covered EXCEPT a #1C. If Burke can just get Getzlaf in a Leafs uniform...we're instantly a team that can go the distance if it gets hot at the right time.

Besides a #1C...we're covered. Either get a top pick from the lottery (NO NHL this year IMO), or give Getzlaf a blank cheque.

I could care less if we even pay Getzlaf more than Crosby, because he's still just 27..he'll have two great wingers to work with and a coach/GM he knows.
You do realize your talking about a guy who produced at the same ppg rate as our second line centreman last year with far fewer goals while playing first line minutes with first class wingers right? If your gonna pay Getzlaf Crosby numbers are you gonna pay Grabbo Malkin numbers?

Old
12-08-2012, 12:07 PM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygeek View Post
You do realize your talking about a guy who produced at the same ppg rate as our second line centreman last year with far fewer goals while playing first line minutes with first class wingers right? If your gonna pay Getzlaf Crosby numbers are you gonna pay Grabbo Malkin numbers?
What exactly is the point of spending 4.5M on Komisarek, 5M on Connolly? I'd much rather get rid of them both and take a 9.5M gamble on Getzlaf. At least he has won a Cup, put up PPG numbers and shown he's a tough guy unlike Komisarek/Connolly.

The rule of UFA is simple: Overpay to get who you want, or somebody else will. If the Leafs keep waiting, Kessel will be 32 years old, Dion Phaneuf will be 34 and we're looking at trading them for prospects and picks and start all over again.

Getzlaf has had one bad year. In 2010-11, he had 76 points in 67 games...that's definitely better production than any Leaf player in nearly a decade.

Last year was the ONLY year Getzlaf has ever been a minus player in the NHL, he's a responsible #1C capable of putting up PPG.

Leafs need to take some risks like the Blue Jays just did...after all what was the point of even getting Kessel if we would never make another risky move to get a good player? We should have just sucked like the Oilers and would have had Seguin, Landeskog, and Rielly.

Old
12-08-2012, 12:34 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brewmeister View Post
Gotta disagree on this. Phoenix is probably the best defensive structured team for today and tomorrow. Our offence is pretty bare in Toronto.
Hopefully the junior players exceed expectations.

The Marlies aren't filled with bluechippers at all, certainly with Gardiner they have some high expectations, but otherwise a prospect cupboard filled with KD. That's just about everyone talking, except the faithful here.

He was the Leafs' leading scorer in the 196364, 196667 and 196970 seasons, and the team's top goal scorer in 197071 and 197273. Keon was considered one of the fastest skaters in the NHL, and one of the best defensive forwards of his era.[3] He would usually play against the opposing team's top centre, and developed a reputation for neutralizing some of the league's top scorers. In 197071, he scored eight shorthanded goals, setting an NHL record.
Old
12-08-2012, 12:48 PM
Interactif
Meet The New Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgro View Post
Devane back in the lineup for his ECHL team and he got in his first scrap of the year. i think he was out for awhile with an injury. Broll also got in a fight with Bilcke the other night and apparently handled him quite easily, haven't seen the fight yet myself
Jamie scored a goal in his 3rd pro game with San Fran. Didn't post about it, he had at last I looked 1G in 6 games.

Old
12-08-2012, 12:56 PM
kilgro
Thank you Burke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Jamie scored a goal in his 3rd pro game with San Fran. Didn't post about it, he had at last I looked 1G in 6 games.
Now he's got his first scrap to go with it! Just needs an apple and we're good to go. Would be nice to see better numbers but I don't imagine he, carrick or crescenzi get quality ice time so I'm not really worried.

Old
12-08-2012, 01:04 PM
sniper81

I personally think peoples opinions will be changed once the 93 class graduates to the American league. Ive been very happy with our last 2 drafts.

Old
12-08-2012, 01:19 PM
sniper81

Broll and Bilcke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=CamTcPxjmr0

Old
12-08-2012, 01:21 PM
Beleafer4

Rankings mean nothing. Prospects always surprise and dissappoint.

Old
12-08-2012, 01:22 PM
kilgro
Thank you Burke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper81 View Post
Owned. Great job by broll, probably feels good after his last one. He pumped bilcke pretty good

Old
12-08-2012, 01:32 PM
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper81 View Post
I personally think peoples opinions will be changed once the 93 class graduates to the American league. Ive been very happy with our last 2 drafts.
Burkes done a good job at keeping a steady stream of prospects flowing from junior into the AHL. This year we have Mckegg and Ross getting added to our guys from the previous two years in Kadri, Blacker, Frattin and Damgio (as well as Colborne, Ashton, Deschamps, etc too if you count trades). Next year we should see Biggs, Percy, and Leivo join the Marlies. For the year after that (2013 - 2014), we already have guys like Finn, Brown, Cameransi, and Euro D-men like Granberg and Nilsson who are likely to join the Marlies. We have a steady stream of prospects flooding into the Marlies, over the next couple of years some of them will develop into quality NHLers. Of course, we also have Morgan Rielly who is looking like a stud. I am not worrying too much about our HF prospect rankings, I like the way Burkes built up our organizational depth.

Old
12-08-2012, 01:40 PM
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful

Here is a nice highlight reel video of Tony Cameransi from his draft year:

Can anyone who has actually watched him play in the NCAA comment on how he has looked?

Old
12-08-2012, 01:56 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobloblawLeaf View Post
Burkes done a good job at keeping a steady stream of prospects flowing from junior into the AHL. This year we have Mckegg and Ross getting added to our guys from the previous two years in Kadri, Blacker, Frattin and Damgio (as well as Colborne, Ashton, Deschamps, etc too if you count trades). Next year we should see Biggs, Percy, and Leivo join the Marlies. For the year after that (2013 - 2014), we already have guys like Finn, Brown, Cameransi, and Euro D-men like Granberg and Nilsson who are likely to join the Marlies. We have a steady stream of prospects flooding into the Marlies, over the next couple of years some of them will develop into quality NHLers. Of course, we also have Morgan Rielly who is looking like a stud. I am not worrying too much about our HF prospect rankings, I like the way Burkes built up our organizational depth.
I always wondered, why do Leafs fans credit Burke for drafting more than Dave Morrison?

Old
12-08-2012, 02:02 PM
Leafs at Knight
Fire Burn the Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
I always wondered, why do Leafs fans credit Burke for drafting more than Dave Morrison?
Or when its a bad pick its all Burkes fault.

Old
12-08-2012, 02:07 PM
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful

Quote:
Burke has made quite a few moves that were great for our prospect pool (outside of the Kessel one). Kaberle got us a great return, so did Beauchemin, and Verbeauty netted us a 1st and a 3rd. I know our scouting staff choose our picks, but Burke chooses the scouting staff, and has the final word.

Old
12-08-2012, 02:10 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Don't most NHL teams have a steady stream of prospect flowing into the AHL?

Old
12-08-2012, 02:23 PM
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
I generally dont follow other teams prospect progression too closely, but the Marlies are already a championship caliber team in the AHL, and our impact players on the Marlies are pretty much all prospects. Guys like Ross, Devane and Mckegg arent able to get playing time due to our depth. Couple that with even more prospects like Biggs and Percy who are about to transition to the AHL and I would say our stream of prospects is at the very least average. Probably better than average.

Old
12-08-2012, 02:32 PM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
Sorry, it was actually 6th.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...spring2010110/

Point still stands.

And even in Spring 2011, we were at 9th.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...spring2011110/
Lots of bias in the rankings this year, poorly done IMO.

Old
12-08-2012, 02:38 PM
VanW27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
People need to raise they're expectations. When your "stream" of prospects to the AHL produces 2 players that spend most of the time as observers and a few ECHLers, that isn't something to be proud of.
I expect more out of a scouting staff with the resources the Leafs have at their disposal.

Old
12-08-2012, 02:48 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
I generally dont follow other teams prospect progression too closely, but the Marlies are already a championship caliber team in the AHL, and our impact players on the Marlies are pretty much all prospects.

Guys like Ross, Devane and Mckegg arent able to get playing time due to our depth.

Couple that with even more prospects like Biggs and Percy who are about to transition to the AHL and I would say our stream of prospects is at the very least average. Probably better than average.
Is that prospect depth, or is it AHL veteran depth?

Frattin looks good, but he is 24, same age as Abbott.

Kadri and Gardiner are the only young prospects in the top scoring for the Marlies.

You can add D'Amigo and Ashton to the list if you go to 7 points in 18/20 games and are impressed with that kind of result.

Listen, I certainly hope they all exceed expectations, but I'm not going to delude myself about how they compare around the AHL.

Kadri is a top 30-40 AHL player, no doubt about that, and Gardiner and Frattin certainly look like NHLers.

It really is too soon to claim many successes at this point.

Old
12-08-2012, 03:15 PM
sniper81

Quote:
haha i don't. Dave has been here before Burke and has had good draft records under JFJ

Old
12-08-2012, 03:19 PM
sniper81

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanW27 View Post
People need to raise they're expectations. When your "stream" of prospects to the AHL produces 2 players that spend most of the time as observers and a few ECHLers, that isn't something to be proud of.
I expect more out of a scouting staff with the resources the Leafs have at their disposal.
well if there wasn't a lockout we would have 3 or 4 more 92 or 91 born players playing that are in the echl.

Old
12-08-2012, 04:50 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post
Lots of bias in the rankings this year, poorly done IMO.
I always enjoy finding teams that have something listed as a strength but we have as a weakness but then ours is better than theirs.

Nashville has a strength in goaltending
Magnus Hellberg - 7.0 D
Marek Mazanec - 7.0 D
Jeremy Smith - 6.5 C
Chet Pickard - 6.5 D

Toronto has a weakness in top end goaltending
Mark Owuya - 7.0 C
Garrett Sparks - 7.0 D
Jussi Rynnas - 7.0 D
Ben Scrivens - 6.5 B

Similar, but based on those rankings one could definitely give Toronto an edge in goaltending, yet for us it's a weakness but Nashville has it as a strength. I understand part of it could be because they used to have Lindback, but he isn't listed anymore and hasn't been for a few months.

But then also their team was ranked as 9th overall in prospects whenever it was done last, leafs in 18th, but the top 5 Nashville prospects had lower rankings than the top 5 leafs. Go figure

Closed Thread