HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix LXVI: Get Your Kicks On Thread LXVI

Closed Thread

Old
12-08-2012, 10:26 AM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic View Post
btw Winnipeg is 25th in attendance. Even the Devils had more fans per game.
Yup, 25th in attendance but in the top 11 in revenue. The smaller arena was sold out every game, tickets are hard to impossible to get, ticket prices are some of the highest in the league, season tickets sold out in 3 minutes with a three year commitment, there are 8000 on the capped season ticket waiting list that you had to pay to get on.

Shall we make a comparison to the Coyotes blueprint where tickets go for as low as $10. with freebies, govt. subsidization, free parking and under 10K fans per game...

PS There is a big difference between the face value of a Coyotes ticket and what it can actually be bought for, I know, I've been there. I have sat in the lower bowl for under $30., only place in Canada you could do that would be at a junior hockey game.

Old
12-08-2012, 11:09 AM
Whileee

vCash: 500
Quote:
if winnipeg was such a great market why did they lose the team to begin with? And they have a tiny arena in winnipeg.
You obviously weren't around when much of this was already explained. I'll give you the brief explanation.

The MTS Centre is only 13-17% smaller than most arenas, and closer to that when you consider the actual attendance in those larger arenas. So to make up the difference, Winnipeg just needs to increase revenues by 15% per customer - problem solved. Winnipeggers have obviously not balked at paying the higher prices, since the season tickets are sold out years in advance, with a paid waiting list.

When the Jets left before, the Canadian dollar was in the 60's, the arena was terrible (with obstructed viewing), and there was no salary cap, revenue sharing or buffer against currency fluctuations. I would add that Bettman wasn't that motivated to keep teams in Canada, but I don't think that pushes the discussion anywhere useful. One could ask the same question about the Nordiques - why did they leave Quebec if there are such good fans there? Same reasons, same era.

Old
12-08-2012, 11:24 AM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

vCash: 131
Quote:
if winnipeg was such a great market why did they lose the team to begin with? And they have a tiny arena in winnipeg.
As someone who has been a member since 2006, I'm positive that you have read countless times the reasons for the team leaving, and no, it had nothing to do with a lack of fans, like the Coyotes.

Old
12-08-2012, 11:39 AM
GF

This thread is quickly going off the rail...

Old
12-08-2012, 11:43 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GF View Post
This thread is quickly going off the rail...
Indeed.... straighten out gang. Clean it up.

Old
12-08-2012, 11:57 AM
WingsFan95

Let's not forget that like junior games, you can buy the cheapest tickets and move up to better seats since much of the stadium is empty.....

Old
12-08-2012, 01:03 PM
madhi19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Indeed.... straighten out gang. Clean it up.
Nothing is and will be happening in the near future I say close it down for the holliday.

Old
12-08-2012, 01:47 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhi19 View Post
Nothing is and will be happening in the near future I say close it down for the holliday.
No chance madhi. I personally am not about to go through withdrawal let alone put everyone else through it just because you suggest so. Certainly not without the aid of alcohol, drugs & support groups to replace the hole left in our lives if and when this thing ever ends. Besides, with so many twists & turns, the on-going Lockout, Lord only knows what might happen within an hour, day or week. So no, not on my watch Mister. Not goin anywhere. Ever Vigilant.

Old
12-08-2012, 01:58 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
Go to the Coyotes website, cheapest ticket is $20. (MOD)
No, 10 bucks is the cheapest and if you're in for the season you can get more discounts.
http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=79059

Old
12-08-2012, 02:00 PM
barneyg

Quote:
The most expensive season ticket for baltimore orioles baseball is 48 dollars. We are talking about one of the nicest stadiums in all of sports in the richest state in the USA. And the general public actually cares about baseball.

The highest washington capitals season ticket available is 135 and the cheapest is 65. And at 65 you have a terrible seat. And the Caps supposedly sold out every game and still lost money.
If I understand correctly, your solution is to cut ticket prices and double the number of games? That makes sense, I wonder why nobody thought of that before.

Old
12-08-2012, 02:06 PM
OthmarAmmann
Money making machine

Quote:
No chance madhi. I personally am not about to go through withdrawal let alone put everyone else through it just because you suggest so. Certainly not without the aid of alcohol, drugs & support groups to replace the hole left in our lives if and when this thing ever ends. Besides, with so many twists & turns, the on-going Lockout, Lord only knows what might happen within an hour, day or week. So no, not on my watch Mister. Not goin anywhere. Ever Vigilant.
The financial report may be released any day and there's the debt issue on the 12th.

Old
12-08-2012, 02:32 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Ya, theres all kinds of stuff pending. Shutting er' down is simply not an option. Weve come way too far. All kinds of open road ahead & miles to go before this thing is hopefully mercifully resolved. Getting particularly interesting on all kinds of fronts. I should mebbe just Infract madhi for even suggesting the thread be "closed for the Holidays" huh? Unfortunately theres no real Rule against Blasphemy....

Old
12-08-2012, 02:38 PM
madhi19

Quote:
You guys are more addicted than I *am. Pretty soon your families will stage an intervention.

*That saying a lot.

Old
12-08-2012, 03:12 PM
Evil Doctor
Army Recruit

Quote:
Warning!

Old
12-08-2012, 03:18 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix and Stones View Post
No, 10 bucks is the cheapest and if you're in for the season you can get more discounts.
http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=79059
In a rare defense of the Phoenix franchise, I note that the Coyotes do not have a monopoly on embarrassingly low ticket prices. The Coyotes cheapest seats are limited to but a few rows.

A full 1/4 of Carolina's upper bowl is similarly priced however! Yikes.
http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=73778
$430 for a full season ticket.

I think we'll eventually see several franchise contractions over the coming years.

Old
12-08-2012, 03:27 PM
ajmidd12
Know-It-All

vCash: 204
Quote:
Because Winnipeg was in the same financial strap that Glendale is, back then. The dollar was ****** at best, and no one wanted to own the team (with their own money, the powers at be did ask for a government subsidy, it was denied).

Quote:
btw Winnipeg is 25th in attendance. Even the Devils had more fans per game.
And Phoenix is last in attendance, what's your point?

Our arena has 15,005 who have purchased season tickets for minimum 3 years, with another 8000 waiting to get into that prestigeous club of owning season tickets. The same can't be said for the Coyotes fans, there just isn't enough of them unfortunately.

Last edited by ajmidd12: 12-08-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old
12-08-2012, 03:51 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
In a rare defense of the Phoenix franchise, I note that the Coyotes do not have a monopoly on embarrassingly low ticket prices. The Coyotes cheapest seats are limited to but a few rows.

A full 1/4 of Carolina's upper bowl is similarly priced however! Yikes.
http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=73778
$430 for a full season ticket.

I think we'll eventually see several franchise contractions over the coming years.
Since you want go there, what is the price of Coyotes most expensive seat? Before you answer keep in mind there are more 10 dollar seats than, Row A Toyota club, Row A glass seat, Row B Toyota club, Row C Toyota club, COMBINED.

Looking at the canes seating their average ticket is much higher even though they have more of the 10 buck seats.

Last edited by Confucius: 12-08-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old
12-08-2012, 04:01 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix and Stones View Post
Since you want go there, what is the price of Coyotes most expensive seat? Before you answer keep in mind there are more 10 dollar seats than, Row A Toyota club, Row A glass seat, Row B Toyota club, Row C Toyota club, COMBINED.
I'm not really defending the Coyotes one bit and am aware that their average ticket price last year for example was the second lowest in the league at $36 IIRC. I personally think the league needs to contract 4-6 teams (beginning with the Coyotes), and then replace them with a few expansion franchises granted elsewhere, so you won't find any arguments coming from me.

Old
12-08-2012, 04:37 PM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhi19 View Post
If they do, everyone is welcome at the World Juniors forums. Good stuff at this time of year...

With the NHL lockout, Canada's team looks amazing. Not as strong as the last lockout team but still better than anything we have seen in years. Having said all that, if the lockout ends and Canada loses 10 players tomorrow, all bets are off.

Russia looks very strong and has home ice advantage. As a team, they are often outplayed for long stretches of time but then score in bunches.
VERY opportunistic! Can they beat a Canadian lockout team? Yes, but not sure how often - 1 out every 3 games? 1 out of every 5? 1 of 7?
Again, this is a very good Canadian team but it is not the lockout team of 2005 – a team that was unbeatable/untouchable and the BEST EVER!!!
The smart money has Russia finishing 2nd but with the pressure of playing at home, I think they will finish 4th.

Sweden has lost some very good players and is not the team that won last year. Don’t expect a medal.

The U.S. finished 7th (giggle, giggle) last year and they will have something to prove. Having said that, they are not that good or deep.
However, with Seth Jones on the back end, I am expecting the team to overachieve and finish 3rd.

Finland is sending their best team in years. They are the dark horse and could finish 2nd.

Again, the World Junior forum is the place to be at this time of year.

Last edited by KevyD: 12-08-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old
12-08-2012, 04:49 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
Again, the World Junior forum is the place to be at this time of year.
... this has been a public service announcement on behalf
of hfBoards World Junior Forum, brought to you by KevyD.

we know return you to your regularly
scheduled and on-topic programming....

Old
12-08-2012, 04:52 PM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
... this has been a public service announcement on behalf
of hfBoards World Junior Forum, brought to you by KevyD.

we know return you to your regularly
scheduled and on-topic programming....
LOL! I've barely posted here in months so I thought I better make sure my post stands out.

Old
12-08-2012, 05:00 PM
aqib

Quote:
Ya, theres all kinds of stuff pending. Shutting er' down is simply not an option. Weve come way too far. All kinds of open road ahead & miles to go before this thing is hopefully mercifully resolved. Getting particularly interesting on all kinds of fronts. I should mebbe just Infract madhi for even suggesting the thread be "closed for the Holidays" huh? Unfortunately theres no real Rule against Blasphemy....
not miles to go. Just until 1/31. If Jamison doesn't close by then its off the table and its doubtful the new council will support reviving the agreement. So we're almost there. Again.

Old
12-08-2012, 05:06 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
not miles to go. Just until 1/31. If Jamison doesn't close by then its off the table and its doubtful the new council will support reviving the agreement. So we're almost there. Again.
Perhaps.... or perhaps the new Mayor & Council decide to "study" the issue. Conduct a search for a new City Manager to beat the bushes & negotiate with the NHL & prospective owners. Maybe get really smart and employ the services of SportsCorp to do it instead. Buy themselves more time. Another reprieve. Get their houses in order. All kinds of limitless possibilities & plot turns.

Old
12-08-2012, 05:13 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Where have you been? Incoming mayor already softening his stance. The people of Glendale aren't storming city hall. If they were truly upset I'd expect to see mass rallies outside cityhall. I don't buy that the general population hasn't heard of the money being spent. It appears to be a Meh who cares situation, for most of the citizens down there. So let the deal pass who cares, most of us don't live there. I'm pretty sure the deal won't be kiboshed by the city or it's citizens. Everyone tunes in to see a train wreck, so stay tuned and enjoy.

Old
12-08-2012, 05:34 PM
Evil Doctor
Army Recruit

Quote:
Honestly I think aqib has it right. Jamison himself is probably the weakest link in all this. My feeling is that Jamison won't close and this whole thing collapses for good on January 31st.

Closed Thread