HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

iPhone Question

Old
12-08-2012, 11:52 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

vCash: 500
iPhone Question

My wife bought an iPhone. I'm completely new to apple. No experience beyond my eight year old iPod. I figured I'd play around with it because I will be switching carriers next month and will need a new phone. I'm hesitant about getting an iPhone because of the whole stigma, but I also need an iPod, so I figured I'd at least play around with this thing and see how I like it.

Anyway, I can't get this thing to play imbedded videos. Like on NHL team sites or on tsn. This is a big problem for me because I'm a huge hockey nerd.

Do I need to download another browser like Puffin, or the like?

I don't use Facebook, twitter, or any of the social media or popular sites like that. I pretty much only use my smartphones for web browsing. I pretty much exclusively browse hockey content. If I can't watch highlights, and related videos on NHL and amateur team sites, then there's no way in hell I'm buying an iPhone.

Any advice?

12-08-2012, 01:00 PM
shello
@WShello9

You probably need adobe flash player to watch those videos, which you can't get on your iphone. But to watch highlights I propose two alternatives:
1. Buy the gamecenter app (not the current one, once the new one comes out, they make one for each year). Its pricey but you can watch all highlights and more, also can watch full/live games for like 1.99 per (I think)
2: If you dont have a youtube account, make one and sub to the NHL's channel, think they upload highlights.

shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 04:12 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Can you give a specific example of a video that's not working? Videos work fine for me on predators.nhl.com

If it's indeed a flash issue, then you should probably skip iphone for now. But to be honest I'm surprised websites still use flash for video. It's an outdated technology.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 04:53 PM
guinness
those were the days

I still remember when Flash was one of Android's selling points, now that the mobile variant is good and dead, it's not a big deal.

In my experience, mobile Flash was generally garbage, and worst case scenario, there was an app for it (TSN has one), or the devs bent over backwards to make the site iPhone-compatible.

guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 05:30 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

I thought all of the major sites have converted from flash by now. I have not had any problems lately, NHL works fine. Imbedded videos on this site work fine.

HawksFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 06:49 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post
I still remember when Flash was one of Android's selling points, now that the mobile variant is good and dead, it's not a big deal.

In my experience, mobile Flash was generally garbage, and worst case scenario, there was an app for it (TSN has one), or the devs bent over backwards to make the site iPhone-compatible.
It wasn't garbage, the phones available just weren't powerful enough to run it. Now they can run any flash video.

iPhone has its definite strong points, but websurfing is a much more enjoyable experience on newer Android phones.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 08:26 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
It wasn't garbage, the phones available just weren't powerful enough to run it. Now they can run any flash video.

iPhone has its definite strong points, but websurfing is a much more enjoyable experience on newer Android phones.
Since my Note-2 Iphone Screens are just too small.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 11:44 PM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

Not sure about videos off an NHL website. TSN videos do work, though.

Why not head into the nearest Apple Store and try one out for yourself?

Milan the God* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 03:07 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
It all comes down to if you want a big screen or not, IMHO.

If you don't want or don't need a 5" screen, then there is not a single better phone on the market than the iPhone.

If you want a larger screen, then you should look elsewhere. That's about what it comes down to.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 01:07 AM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post

If you don't want or don't need a 5" screen, then there is not a single better phone on the market than the iPhone.

If you want a larger screen, then you should look elsewhere. That's about what it comes down to.
I'd say that it all depends on whether you are 100% happy playing by Apple's rules. If you are... No contest. iPhone. If you're not... No contest. Android.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 08:31 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
I'd say that it all depends on whether you are 100% happy playing by Apple's rules. If you are... No contest. iPhone. If you're not... No contest. Android.
I'm not "100% happy playing by Apple's rules" and neither are a lot of iPhone users out there. Hence why jailbreaking exists. They would rather not abandon the superior product.

Old
12-11-2012, 09:09 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:

Except Iphones are pretty bad phones...

They are kind of the average everything now with the most expensive price-tage. I'll give them ease of use I suppose, but that lead is pretty narrow now.

Since I work with cellphones I had a whole company today that was supposed to be upgrading to Iphone 5's from 4's. Changed their minds when they found out apple completely overhauled all the iphone chargers and went with Samsung's instead, mostly because they realized with the space they needed on the phones for internal storage (often taking pictures in areas they might now be able to upload to cloud right away) the iphones would be $300 each more than the Samsung S3's and they could buy many many many expandable micro sd's for that price.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 10:47 PM
LWnumber09

I got the Skyfire browser, Ive used it to watch streams and such before, you gotta pay for it though

LWnumber09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 12:04 AM
nightfighter

Quote:

My HTC ONE S has a 4.2" screen and it's every bit as good as the iphone.

Anyways, don't want to spark a debate. It's too bad the Iphone 5 and iOS 6 didn't have more of a wow factor. I was going to upgrade my wife's 3GS to the 5 this january but now I might just wait until the next iteration (if she doesn't drop it and break it before that happens). Surprisingly she's been telling me she wants an android phone because she's tired of apple.

Back to the google maps on iOS for a bit. The features aren't anything new (from a google maps on other platforms perspective) but I really like how they've cleaned up the interface and menus. Hope they do the same for android's maps soon. And if this is any indication for google's next youtube app I'm excited.

nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 06:10 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Except Iphones are pretty bad phones...

God are Phandroids annoying. Just as obnoxious as Apple nuthuggers.

Old
12-15-2012, 08:04 PM
Theosis
#freegalchenyuk

Quote:

God are Phandroids annoying. Just as obnoxious as Apple nuthuggers.
Yeah, I don't get why people say iPhones suck or Android phones are superior and whatnot. It's a phone. I have an iPhone 5 as well as a Nexus 4 and a Samsung S3. I don't really think any of the phones are superior to the other... They're all pretty damn good phones.

Theosis is offline   Reply With Quote