HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

St. Louis vs NYR SCF matchup-who wins?

Old
12-08-2012, 04:01 PM
BlueDream

vCash: 500
Would be a hell of a series. If it was next season (whenever that may be), I think the Rangers would take it in 6 or 7. They just have too many weapons to contain...Gaborik, Richards, Nash, Callahan, a great defense, and then there's Lundqvist. I think the Blues need to become a little more battle tested before they win a cup but I'm praying it happens soon. We've already waited too long for it to happen!

I think it would be a great series to watch. Both teams play a grinding, physical game. But hey what do I know, apparently hockey is only fun to watch when the score is 6-4 with terrible defense and goaltending. Because that Pens-Flyers series last season was just SO amazing! Who needs defense?

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 04:06 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

I'll tell you who doesn't win: The fan that likes a lot of offense!

Scottrockztheworld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 04:16 PM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
The Rangers just added Rick Nash to a team that already has Richards, Gaborik, and Callahan. Nash will definitely spark up our offense.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Screw You Rick Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 04:32 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
St. Louis, the Rangers are good but they always find a way to choke. I think St. Louis would match up perfectly against them too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Garrett View Post
St. Louis. The Rangers always choke unless they have Messier plus a completely stacked lineup.
lol the irony.

The Rangers always choke you guys say. Mind you the other team in this thread has a history of epic first round failures and no cups in their long franchise's history. Not to mention being ousted by a team that had 9 less wins than them.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 04:38 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

As a Devils fan, I can't see why people are calling the Rangers chokers. It seems like everyone was expecting Lundqvist to be in God Mode from the first round and not allow a single goal for two months, and when he doesn't live up to those outrageous expectations the team gets branded as losers. Doesn't make sense.

Just because you don't win the Cup does not make you a choker. Despite what their records say, New Jersey was the better team in the ECF. DeBoer was able to find weaknesses and exploit them, that's it. Lundqvist let in a few he might want to take back, but so did Brodeur. Whatever. Someone had to win the series. The Rangers aren't choke artists.

The Rangers are damn good, but they have their flaws like everyone else. I've been saying this for a few years now - they're VERY good, but they don't scare me. I look at the team and nothing jumps out at me screaming 'Holy ****, better watch out for these guys!' That being said, I take them over St. Louis.

AfroThunder396 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 04:56 PM
Blanick
Winter is coming

I think the series would be extremely competitive and for the Rangers so-called choking I would look at the Blues 40+year cup drought with making the playoffs for 20+years.

Even though I am a Blues fan and would love to see us win the cup I still think we are another year or two away (gotta get some deep playoff experience) before we can win it. I think the Rangers stacked lineup would get them the win in 6 games (real hard for me to type that.)

Blanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 05:41 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Defense is equal but the Rangers have better scoring and better goaltending.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 05:58 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Quote:

So what do you call that?

Old
12-08-2012, 06:04 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

I'm not understanding the logic behind picking the Blues. Their offense and goaltending is weaker, and you could make an argument that they're not even as good defensively as the Rangers. The only team that will threaten NYR if there is a season is Pittsburgh. Not because Pittsburgh is necessarily better, but they're just "that team" for the Rangers. Who knows. Maybe that will change with Nash. Meh. But for this hypothetical series it's Rangers in 6. Maybe 5 if St. Louis' offense struggles as much as I think they would.

Of course I'm biased though. But I don't logically see how St. Louis would beat NYR when the Rangers are arguably better in all aspects.

KingWantsCup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 06:07 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

I don't get how hard-fought, gritty, physical hockey is boring. Must be me.

bluesfan94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 06:08 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
lol the irony.

The Rangers always choke you guys say. Mind you the other team in this thread has a history of epic first round failures and no cups in their long franchise's history. Not to mention being ousted by a team that had 9 less wins than them.
If you're talking about last year, that team won the Stanley Cup...

Old
12-08-2012, 06:12 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
I'm not understanding the logic behind picking the Blues. Their offense and goaltending is weaker, and you could make an argument that they're not even as good defensively as the Rangers. The only team that will threaten NYR if there is a season is Pittsburgh. Not because Pittsburgh is necessarily better, but they're just "that team" for the Rangers. Who knows. Maybe that will change with Nash. Meh. But for this hypothetical series it's Rangers in 6. Maybe 5 if St. Louis' offense struggles as much as I think they would.

Of course I'm biased though. But I don't logically see how St. Louis would beat NYR when the Rangers are arguably better in all aspects.
I think the logic would be that the Blues were one of the best teams last year, had the best team GAA in history, and played half the season without offensive threats Steen, McDonald (who literally changes the Blues' offense; look at the stats with him versus without him), and Perron. On top of that, they're adding a premier offensive prospect in Tarasenko. Pietrangelo has another year to develop, which is scary. Rangers have a better goal scoring offense. The goaltending may be better, but it doesn't manifest itself in terms of GAA.

Old
12-08-2012, 06:43 PM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post

Sure, you could say the Rangers are better on paper, but the game is played on the ice.

Oberyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 06:54 PM
Vladys Gumption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
Too early to say this.

The parity in this league is way to close to say two teams are clear cut winners. I know you're not saying that, but it wouldn't shock me if both the Rangers and the Blues lose in the first round.

It's really all about whoever is playing hot (See Devils and Kings) when the playoffs roll around. There were times in 2011-2012 when no one thought the Bruins, Rangers, or Penguins were going to be beaten, and two out of three lost in the first round, with one almost losing in the first round.

If a STL/NYR match-up came along, I think it's way too close to call. Both teams are equally similar, Rangers have more skill than Blues have in their top-six, but Blues have a solid group of two-way players, Tarasenko can definitely change that though. Defensively, both have solid top-fours, but their bottom pairing is a bit weak. Goaltending Lundqvist has the edge, but if Halak and/or Elliot get hot, they can play just as good as him.
I wouldn't call the Blues third pairing weak at all. It's actually an excellent pairing. Polak is a top four defenseman that is stuck behind two great defensemen

Vladys Gumption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 07:00 PM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

I won't discuss if the Rangers are boring or not, since I'm a Rangers fan

But, the Rangers-Blues game last season was the most boring sporting event I've ever watched (although a Blues-Wings game I watched was really good)

12-08-2012, 08:02 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post

So what do you call that?
5 good players on teams focussed on playing defensive systems?

Didn't say either of your teams didn't have offensive players....

Old
12-08-2012, 08:22 PM
Cheddabombs
Status Quo

I could easily see it going either way, probably going the distance to 7 games. It really depends on the goalies in a series like this. Very tight defensive-minded teams, whichever goalie slips up or lets off the pedal even for a second could cost their team the cup.

Cheddabombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 08:35 PM
jack mullet
@jackmullethockey

as much as i like what St. Louis has done, i cant even see them getting to the finals.

jack mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 10:01 PM
bigbuffalo313

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
I'd say the Rangers. They are truly stacked at multiple positions. Even if they had an average goalie, they'd still be contenders, IMO.
98-04. No Lundqvist. No playoffs.

bigbuffalo313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 10:14 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuffalo313 View Post
98-04. No Lundqvist. No playoffs.
True but to be fair don't forget no scoring, no defense, no hitting, no heart, no talent, no coaching.

It went far beyond no Lundqvist. Those teams were brutal.

Old
12-08-2012, 10:44 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Chreider View Post
These are the teams I've seen mentioned often as the two finalists. The lockout has me craving hockey, discuss.
StL isn't going to beat LA -- you know, the team that swept them this past season.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 10:50 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
StL isn't going to beat LA -- you know, the team that swept them this past season.
Because we all know that if you beat a team in the playoffs one year you won't be able to beat them the next.

Old
12-08-2012, 10:52 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Because we all know that if you beat a team in the playoffs one year you won't be able to beat them the next.
I'm just saying that STL being anointed as the next Western Conference winner is very shortsighted.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 10:55 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
I'm just saying that STL being anointed as the next Western Conference winner is very shortsighted.
Oh no I totally agree with this! Just disagree with the way you put it before.

Old
12-09-2012, 12:56 AM
stlblues9

Quote:
2007: Ottawa 4 - Pittsburgh 1
2008: Pittsburgh 4 - Ottawa 0

stlblues9 is offline   Reply With Quote