HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

KHL Expansion

Closed Thread

Old
12-07-2012, 05:21 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

vCash: 500
Medvedev said a few days ago that there are serious talks with finnish club now. ´Have no idea if existing club or new one created for KHL.

I think that KHL does not have plan to expand into Sweden. I see Germany, Suiss (Helvetics), Italy, Croatia.

Agree with Lev-Sparta

Old
12-08-2012, 04:40 AM
russianhockey

IMO the KHL first of all needs more teams from CZE/SVK (at least 5).

Old
12-08-2012, 05:22 AM
zorz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
Yes, exactly. We're talking about the long-term future here, not the 2013/14 season, not even 2017/18.

That's correct! It would be ideal to have 30 (or so) top-quality European teams to compete with the 30 (or so) NHL teams. But for this to happen, each European country (including Russia) woud have to sacrifice the bulk of the teams from its current top national league, so that only the very best teams from the various European national leagues would get to play in the world-wide hockey league. It would basically mean the end of European national hockey leagues as we know them today. And I don't think European countries are ready to do that -- today. It can only be a long-term vision.

Speaking of realistic expansion news, the new SKA coach Yalonen said today he can imagine a Finnish team joining the KHL within 2 or 3 years. I don't think he was only being polite to Russian journalists in saying that. It would be a huge step forward if KHL caught foot in Finland -- and I find Germany and Switzerland to be equally crucial, mainly because they're economic super-powers. Then, Sweden might "relent", too, and send a team to the KHL. Regarding the Czech Republic, it would be more beneficial for the KHL if Lev ceased to exist, or merged with Sparta, so that a traditional Czech club gets to play in the KHL. It should be traditional clubs from each country, not artificial, KHL "custom-ordered" clubs.
yeah, but it would not be beneficial for czech hockey, so I say no please. feel free to have lev in czech republic, but don't touch the czech league.

Old
12-08-2012, 05:27 AM
raystorm

Quote:

Speaking of realistic expansion news, the new SKA coach Yalonen said today he can imagine a Finnish team joining the KHL within 2 or 3 years.
Which team team that would be? Or is it some new team like "Lev Helsinki". I see only two potential teams in Finland. These teams are Blues or TuTo. Jokerit or HIFK can't go alone anywhere. They need each other.

Old
12-08-2012, 05:59 AM
SoundAndFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by raystorm View Post
Jokerit or HIFK can't go alone anywhere. They need each other.
They could play pre-season series

Old
12-08-2012, 06:14 AM
Faterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by raystorm View Post
Jokerit or HIFK can't go alone anywhere. They need each other.
They could both join the KHL. That would be fantastic.

PS: We're awaiting Tappara Tampere in Slovan's arena next week, along with Sweden's Färjestad and HV71. I'll be there!

Old
12-08-2012, 08:11 AM
BalticWarrior

Won`t believe the rumours about finnish clubs till i see them playing on khl ice.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:16 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

http://news.sportbox.ru/Vidy_sporta/...initsya-Finlya

Old
12-08-2012, 01:13 PM
russianhockey

Candidate from germany can only be Düsseldorfer EG, because of money problems (but in february the said "no"). Torpedo Leipzig is not allowed to build a new stadium.

Old
12-08-2012, 01:30 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by russianhockeyDOTde View Post
Candidate from germany can only be Düsseldorfer EG, because of money problems (but in february the said "no"). Torpedo Leipzig is not allowed to build a new stadium.
any rumours about Düsseldorfer EG? Why they renamed before this season? I read about Red Bull buying some german club. Is it this case?

Old
12-08-2012, 01:35 PM
Purple hippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
any rumours about Düsseldorfer EG? Why they renamed before this season? I read about Red Bull buying some german club. Is it this case?
Metro AG dropped sponsorship for Düsseldorf, hence the reason they went back to their old name. Red Bull currently has control of EHC München who couldnt come up with money either, though the deal with Red Bull is only for this season at the moment.

Old
12-08-2012, 04:15 PM
Vicente

Düsseldorfer EG and Red Bull München are the two teams with the lowest fan base compared to the size of any DEL participant's home town.

I mean KHL could try to get them into their league but do they want empty arenas? I mean Düsseldorf isn't even able to get more than 8,000 spectators into their arena during derbies against their archrivals from Cologne (and 30% of them are from Cologne).

The only clever candidates would be Berlin, Mannheim, Cologne and Hamburg.

Old
12-08-2012, 04:19 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicente View Post
Düsseldorfer EG and Red Bull München are the two teams with the lowest fan base compared to the size of any DEL participant's home town.

I mean KHL could try to get them into their league but do they want empty arenas? I mean Düsseldorf isn't even able to get more than 8,000 spectators into their arena during derbies against their archrivals from Cologne (and 30% of them are from Cologne).

The only clever candidates would be Berlin, Mannheim, Cologne and Hamburg.
So bring them I remember that a few fans (max of 5) of Kolner Haie was in Chelyabinsk this summer (tourney)

Old
12-08-2012, 04:23 PM
Vicente

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
So bring them I remember that a few fans (max of 5) of Kolner Haie was in Chelyabinsk this summer (tourney)
Unless all 4 of them leave DEL at the very same moment that is not really likely. But maybe Mr Medvedev can talk to them. German and Russian economy have pretty good ties. It would be a dream for sponsors to have German teams in the league.

And don't forget that we have several million Russian-born inhabitants in Germany.

Old
12-08-2012, 05:44 PM
Faterson

Quote:
Unless all 4 of them leave DEL at the very same moment that is not really likely.
They should... nothing wrong with 4 German teams in the KHL. I think German teams have been very competitive at club level -- the German national team less so (too inconsistent).

Old
12-08-2012, 08:18 PM
Ryker

Quote:

I agree with you it's safer to go with teams that are already selling out to huge crowds, and you obviously also know the hockey fanbase landscape in Germany better than I do. But it's probably hard to say what impact the actual joining the KHL would have in those cities. Take Medvescak, for example. Prior to them entering EBEL, no one imagined they'd be getting crowds they're getting now, and the attendance at their games was extremely poor. Granted, the IHL they played in a couple of seasons before entering EBEL was much weaker than DEL is now, but even so, Alba, Jesenice and even Olimpija drew better crowds. And Medvescak isn't an artifical club by any means (they have their tradition, although the players they rely on there are mostly foreigners and naturalized Croatians), but that surge in crowd attendance was, for someone, who followed the league quite mind-boggling. Maybe a similar thing could happen with DEG and/or Red Bull München. Or do you think that's impossible?

Old
12-08-2012, 09:17 PM
Dynamo81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
I agree with you it's safer to go with teams that are already selling out to huge crowds, and you obviously also know the hockey fanbase landscape in Germany better than I do. But it's probably hard to say what impact the actual joining the KHL would have in those cities. Take Medvescak, for example. Prior to them entering EBEL, no one imagined they'd be getting crowds they're getting now, and the attendance at their games was extremely poor. Granted, the IHL they played in a couple of seasons before entering EBEL was much weaker than DEL is now, but even so, Alba, Jesenice and even Olimpija drew better crowds. And Medvescak isn't an artifical club by any means (they have their tradition, although the players they rely on there are mostly foreigners and naturalized Croatians), but that surge in crowd attendance was, for someone, who followed the league quite mind-boggling.
Zagreb has had enough of the corruption associated with domestic football. There's a reason why Medveščak sell out the new 15,000 seat Zagreb Arena while Dinamo struggles to get 10,000 to Champions League games.

From speaking to Croatians they seem to have the support of the populace in ZG where once Dinamo and Cibona (Basketball) ruled. They also seem to have support outside Zagreb.

Old
12-09-2012, 06:19 AM
Vicente

Quote:
Maybe a similar thing could happen with DEG and/or Red Bull München. Or do you think that's impossible?
To be honest I think this is very unlikely. Both teams already play in a competitive league and they don't have good crowds against the best opponents of their league so letting them play in a better competition like KHL doesn't get them more fans necessarily.

In Düsseldorf the problem is that their arena is very, very far away from the city centre and it's not easy to get there, even with the train it takes a loooooong time. The arena itself is being critized often as it is not that perfect (acoustic and stuff like this). Then their is the Football team Fortuna Düsseldorf (1. Bundesliga) and they have an average attendance of 50,000 and this is terrible for hockey as it is no big topic in the city.

In München ice hockey is only sports number three after football (Bayern München, 1860 München) and Basketball (Bayern München). They also have a rather small and rather old arena. So no way there.

Old
12-09-2012, 09:50 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
They could both join the KHL. That would be fantastic.
Neither club's fans have interest in KHL nor the clubs themselves. HIFK are too busy trying get a new arena done and that won't be finished for several years. Both clubs would need huge amounts of outside money to play in KHL.

Old
12-09-2012, 04:22 PM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Quote:
I agree with you it's safer to go with teams that are already selling out to huge crowds, and you obviously also know the hockey fanbase landscape in Germany better than I do. But it's probably hard to say what impact the actual joining the KHL would have in those cities. Take Medvescak, for example. Prior to them entering EBEL, no one imagined they'd be getting crowds they're getting now, and the attendance at their games was extremely poor. Granted, the IHL they played in a couple of seasons before entering EBEL was much weaker than DEL is now, but even so, Alba, Jesenice and even Olimpija drew better crowds. And Medvescak isn't an artifical club by any means (they have their tradition, although the players they rely on there are mostly foreigners and naturalized Croatians), but that surge in crowd attendance was, for someone, who followed the league quite mind-boggling. Maybe a similar thing could happen with DEG and/or Red Bull München. Or do you think that's impossible?
Hockey is absolutely on the rise in Croatia. Being of Croation decent I am in the proccess of applying for citizenship, the Croation ambassador's ears percked up when I mentioned Medvescak. He said people are starting to flock to hockey right now. Adding a KHL team would only add to the buzz.

Old
12-10-2012, 02:44 AM
VladNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
Hockey is absolutely on the rise in Croatia. Being of Croation decent I am in the proccess of applying for citizenship, the Croation ambassador's ears percked up when I mentioned Medvescak. He said people are starting to flock to hockey right now. Adding a KHL team would only add to the buzz.
Croatia is having quite the rise in general. I gotta go find a vacation home out there before it gets too late.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:12 AM
Faterson

It's already too late. I hear it's already expensive there, especially in coastal areas. Supposedly fully comparable to Western Europe in prizes. No longer Yugoslavia of old.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:17 AM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

Quote:
It's already too late. I hear it's already expensive there, especially in coastal areas. Supposedly fully comparable to Western Europe in prizes. No longer Yugoslavia of old.
In coastal areas is and were always expensive because people there live only of tourism (summer), no other ways of income. The most expensive part of croatia is Istra... But you can buy a house in Slavonia part of Croatia, delicious food there

Old
12-10-2012, 04:36 AM
kajoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladNYC View Post
Croatia is having quite the rise in general. I gotta go find a vacation home out there before it gets too late.
buy something in Turkey instead, you will get 3-4 room duplex with fantastic views for the money that will hardly get you 2-bedroom flat in Croatia. Property market spoiled by foreigners already.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:38 AM
kajoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroHabitant View Post
In coastal areas is and were always expensive because people there live only of tourism (summer), no other ways of income. The most expensive part of croatia is Istra... But you can buy a house in Slavonia part of Croatia, delicious food there

Closed Thread