HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WBS Penguins Hockey PART II

Closed Thread

Old
12-08-2012, 07:52 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
Holzapfel was a mid-2nd round pick that took a long time to hit his stride even as just a solid AHL two-way forward. He's been turning it up ever since he got traded out of the Thrashers/Jets organization last season. He's saved his AHL career this way but it's too early to make any projections further down the road.

Now Tangradi threw down with Bolduc. The game turned into a fight show pretty much out of nowhere.
I wasn't aware that Holzapfel was a 2nd round pick. What year was he drafted?

Old
12-08-2012, 07:56 PM
penguins2946*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
I wasn't aware that Holzapfel was a 2nd round pick. What year was he drafted?
2006. 43rd pick. So after Sneep, who has done nothing in his career, and before Strait, who hasn't done much more.

Old
12-08-2012, 07:58 PM
penguins2946*

Quote:
I think it was tried earlier in the season and didn't work out well. That was when Bennett was still getting adjusted though...
You would assume that would work out. Their play styles complement each other really well. One is more of a scoring power-forward, while the other is a slick playmaker. That sounds great on paper

Old
12-08-2012, 07:59 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguins2946 View Post
You would assume that would work out. Their play styles complement each other really well. One is more of a scoring power-forward, while the other is a slick playmaker. That sounds great on paper
Tangradi isn't really a triggerman though, he's more likely to dish off the puck and go to the net.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:03 PM
penguins2946*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
Tangradi isn't really a triggerman though, he's more likely to dish off the puck and go to the net.
He does have 11 goals or so this year. He isn't technically a scorer, more of a grinder with offensive abilities.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:04 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Tangradi is more of a passer than a shooter. Along with going to the net of course; but that doesn't really compliment a playmaker.

Quote:
He does have 11 goals or so this year. He isn't technically a scorer, more of a grinder with offensive abilities.
he scores goals, but not really by getting into shooting position looking for a pass. He is more likely to get his goals by getting deflections and rebounds in front of the net; both of which compliment a shooter more than a passer.

Last edited by Ogrezilla: 12-08-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old
12-08-2012, 08:05 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
All of his goals are probably within 5 feet of the net though.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:05 PM
hctopcheds11

For those watching, how's Morrow looking tonight?

Also, really like seeing Bennett putting up the points he is this year. If he can work on his skating/strength (which helping one will help the other), I don't see a reason why he can't play in the NHL as a top 6 option. One of the comparisons for him around draft time was Jason Pominville and I would love if we could get a guy like that on 87's wing.

FWIW, a guy like Pominville would be amazing with this team. The ability to create on his own is his strength but the way he reads the game would compliment Sid to a T.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:09 PM
penguins2946*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Tangradi is more of a passer than a shooter. Along with going to the net of course; but that doesn't really compliment a playmaker.

he scores goals, but not really by getting into shooting position looking for a pass. He is more likely to get his goals by getting deflections and rebounds in front of the net; both of which compliment a shooter more than a passer.
Yeah, I guess that's true. To be fair, Malone wasn't much of a shooter, but he was a great power forward. It doesn't seem like the Baby Pens have any pure scorers on their team, or at least good ones. Pens haven't really signed or drafted any, so that's understandable. It's funny, our best "sniper" is probably Bennett.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:10 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Jesus, Smith.

I could've scored that.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:11 PM
penguins2946*

Quote:
All of his goals are probably within 5 feet of the net though.
A garbage goal is still a goal. I love that Tangradi is becoming like Malone, slowly but surely.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:11 PM
Dangles78

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyg26 View Post
For those watching, how's Morrow looking tonight?

Also, really like seeing Bennett putting up the points he is this year. If he can work on his skating/strength (which helping one will help the other), I don't see a reason why he can't play in the NHL as a top 6 option. One of the comparisons for him around draft time was Jason Pominville and I would love if we could get a guy like that on 87's wing.

FWIW, a guy like Pominville would be amazing with this team. The ability to create on his own is his strength but the way he reads the game would compliment Sid to a T.
Can we seriously stop with this. Bennett's skating isn't even that big of a concern IMO. He lacks top end speed, but his technique won't keep him out of the NHL. Does he need to work on it? Yes, especially if he wants to keep up with Crosby. I think it's more of fine tuning it and working on his first step because he won't ever develop Grabner type speed.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:12 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Yeah, I guess that's true. To be fair, Malone wasn't much of a shooter, but he was a great power forward. It doesn't seem like the Baby Pens have any pure scorers on their team, or at least good ones. Pens haven't really signed or drafted any, so that's understandable. It's funny, our best "sniper" is probably Bennett.
I'm not knocking Tangradi at all. Don't think Burgundy is either. Sniper is just something I never expect him to be. Goal scorer is possible, but it will be mostly dirty goals and not pretty snipes. They are worth just as much; they just aren't what Bennett is going to set up with sick passes. The good news is, we happen to have a few centers who can both shoot and pass that could use guys like these if Tangradi and Bennett work out. And James Neal, who is exactly what a guy dishing sick passes wants on his line.

I may be getting ahead of myself. Don't let this get sidetracked too much

Old
12-08-2012, 08:13 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
A garbage goal is still a goal. I love that Tangradi is becoming like Malone, slowly but surely.
Oh I know. I'm just saying he's not a guy who Bennett could set up with a nice pass and Tangradi would pick a corner. He gets his goals in the dirty areas off of rebounds, and tips.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:14 PM
penguins2946*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles78 View Post
Can we seriously stop with this. Bennett's skating isn't even that big of a concern IMO. He lacks top end speed, but his technique won't keep him out of the NHL. Does he need to work on it? Yes, especially if he wants to keep up with Crosby. I think it's more of fine tuning it and working on his first step because he won't ever develop Grabner type speed.
That's the thing everyone says about every prospect. Their skating isn't good, they aren't good defensively or their strength isn't good. Even if he wasn't a good skater, which isn't the case, his hands could probably give him a spot in the NHL

Old
12-08-2012, 08:14 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles78 View Post
Guerin was slow and he made it work with Crosby.

edit: well not slow, but not the fleetest of foot.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:18 PM
penguins2946*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I'm not knocking Tangradi at all. Don't think Burgundy is either. Sniper is just something I never expect him to be. Goal scorer is possible, but it will be mostly dirty goals and not pretty snipes. They are worth just as much; they just aren't what Bennett is going to set up with sick passes. The good news is, we happen to have a few centers who can both shoot and pass that could use guys like these if Tangradi and Bennett work out. And James Neal, who is exactly what a guy dishing sick passes wants on his line.

I may be getting ahead of myself. Don't let this get sidetracked too much
It's good, because we have a player who has lead the league in goals and assists in seperate seasons AND a 2-time MVP (he got royally boned when he lost to Ovechkin in his 1st Art Ross season).

Bennett's unique, he could be either a scorer or a playmaker. If Sid feels like scoring 1 game, Bennett can dish it to him. If Sid feels like dishing it out that game, Bennett would be fine with putting it top-shelf. All of this with Tangradi's *** parked in front of the net. I can see it now.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:20 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
It's good, because we have a player who has lead the league in goals and assists in seperate seasons AND a 2-time MVP (he got royally boned when he lost to Ovechkin in his 1st Art Ross season).

Bennett's unique, he could be either a scorer or a playmaker. If Sid feels like scoring 1 game, Bennett can dish it to him. If Sid feels like dishing it out that game, Bennett would be fine with putting it top-shelf. All of this with Tangradi's *** parked in front of the net. I can see it now.
Well... that's if the league doesn't fold because of this ridiculous lockout.

Old
penguins2946*

Quote:
Oh I know. I'm just saying he's not a guy who Bennett could set up with a nice pass and Tangradi would pick a corner. He gets his goals in the dirty areas off of rebounds, and tips.
Good thing is that we don't need him to do that. Irregardless of who he plays with in the future (Bennett-Crosby or Neal-Malkin), both of his linemates can pick corners with ease.

Old
Dangles78

Quote:
Guerin was slow and he made it work with Crosby.

edit: well not slow, but not the fleetest of foot.
Ha, good point. I think they meshed together so well because of their high hockey IQs, but I always did wonder how he kept up with Crosby since he was on the other side of the hill. Maybe Crosby brought the youth out in him?

PS I miss Billy G so much glad he's still part of the organization

Old
12-08-2012, 08:21 PM
penguins2946*

Quote:
Well... that's if the league doesn't fold because of this ridiculous lockout.
Don't worry, the players will figure out how stupid Fehr is before that will happen. I'd love to see Crosby on WBS, but EVERYONE would be fuming about that. Not to mention he would have like a 2 PPG average.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:23 PM
penguins2946*

Tangradi needs to work out with Billy G or Roberts over a summer. Either is probably the perfect player for Tangradi to model his game after. Look at what that did for Neal.

Old
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Tie game. Ugh.

Old
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Tiffany Amber Thiessen sucks.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:24 PM
penguins2946*

Why the hell is Ekman-Larsson in the AHL? Oh, wait, I forgot.

Closed Thread