HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

More Luongo Talk

Closed Thread

Old
12-08-2012, 08:13 PM
New Liskeard

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
It doesn't matter how good he is, he'd likely be a backup and veteran presence on the team. The whole point is that the owner saves $4 million by taking on his contract instead of having to pay full salary to reach the cap floor for however long he's there.

If you don't understand it then there's not much more I can do.
so a back up and vetran presence is worth a 5.3 million cap hit? Sounds great, so I guess if Lou declines at 38 39, no big deal paying him that money. There also is no issue that the contact likely cant be insured either I guess? You and a few Nucks fans are reaching for straws, good luck with it.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:14 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
Cap floor teams love contracts that have 9 years left, and the goalie will be 42 and the end of it, and the contract cannot be insured? So these are the contracts that are so sought after by cap floor teams??? You've proved me right again, this is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen here. Please provide proof and a quote how teams want 9 year contracts.
You obviously havent cap geeked Luongos deal if you miss this point...

Old
12-08-2012, 08:16 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
so a back up and vetran presence is worth a 5.3 million cap hit? Sounds great, so I guess if Lou declines at 38 39, no big deal paying him that money. There also is no issue that the contact likely cant be insured either I guess? You and a few Nucks fans are reaching for straws, good luck with it.
You remember how the Isles called up Nino all year to reach the cap floor?

An artificially inflated 5.3 cap hit would have been a more desirable option than potentially ruining his development

Old
12-08-2012, 08:16 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Okay, let us paint a pretty picture. Say Luongo declines around 39. Now the Leafs want to sell him off obviously. Would they be demanding a high price or maybe just a low pick to "buy capspace"? Odds are the latter. Therefore, a salary floor team would happily toss a second or third to save money. Bonus if they wish to acquire a mentor for their own prospect.

You are making far too big a deal over his "what if" contract. Contrary to HF belief. It does not suck.
Why does anyone want a goalie on the decline with 3-4 years left of contract left at a 5.3 mil cap hit? If you honestly think that is an easy sell, you are beyond the realm of common sense. You cant give that contract away. Keep him, enjoy the 9 year 5.3 cap hit.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:18 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Why does anyone want a goalie on the decline with 3-4 years left of contract left at a 5.3 mil cap hit? If you honestly think that is an easy sell, you are beyond the realm of common sense. You cant give that contract away. Keep him, enjoy the 9 year 5.3 cap hit.
Because his salary would be just north of a million?
(and thats if he doesnt retire).

Old
12-08-2012, 08:21 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by kack zassian View Post
Because his salary would be just north of a million?
(and thats if he doesnt retire).
Has anyone every taken on a contract like this in a trade in order to reach the cap floor?

Old
12-08-2012, 08:23 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
You remember how the Isles called up Nino all year to reach the cap floor?

An artificially inflated 5.3 cap hit would have been a more desirable option than potentially ruining his development
There are many options for teams to hit the cap floor, only Nucks fans believe the best way these cost conscious teams can hit the cap floor is trade for a player with a 5.3 cap hit for 9 years and has a NTC, and the contract is not insured.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:24 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:

Let's try this one more time.

Florida had to overpay UFAs to reach the cap floor. Luongo would allow them to pay less, while reaching that same floor. His play is less relevant to them than his cap because he saves them money.

Example! They paid Upshall 3.5M, who has the same cap hit. Meanwhile at 39, they would only pay Luongo 1.6M despite him having a 5.3M cap hit, thus they pay less actual dollars while reaching still the floor.

This is not rocket science, mate.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:24 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Also your point about insuring him is incorrect.

The first 7 years of the deal are insured. The teams are on the hook for the 5 years after that (again assuming he doesnt retire).

Old
12-08-2012, 08:25 PM
DougGilmour93

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Has anyone every taken on a contract like this in a trade in order to reach the cap floor?
Nope. And I doubt it ever does happen.

How about we trade Luongo back to Vancouver in 5 years. Let's see if Vancouver fans like that.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:26 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
I dont think so... But keep in mind the cap has only existed 7 years and these inflatted cap hits are only a recent trend.

And this is also assuming Luongo wants to make a million a year and not retire.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:26 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
You obviously havent cap geeked Luongos deal if you miss this point...
reaching again. Show where cap floor teams have and will want a 9 year contract for a goalie who will be 42, and has a 5.3 cap hit? I've wasted too much time, cant wait to see the reaction here once that new CBA is signed.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:28 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

Quote:
Supposedly, there was discussion of Phoenix doing this with Gomez a year ago. I forget if they wanted a pick from Montreal too but that was the rumor.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:29 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougGilmour93 View Post
Nope. And I doubt it ever does happen.

How about we trade Luongo back to Vancouver in 5 years. Let's see if Vancouver fans like that.
Seeing the CBA might damn us if he retires. Sure, go right ahead.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:29 PM
DougGilmour93

Quote:

Let's try this one more time.

Florida had to overpay UFAs to reach the cap floor. Luongo would allow them to pay less, while reaching that same floor. His play is less relevant to them than his cap because he saves them money.

Example! They paid Upshall 3.5M, who has the same cap hit. Meanwhile at 39, they would only pay Luongo 1.6M despite him having a 5.3M cap hit, thus they pay less actual dollars while reaching still the floor.

This is not rocket science, mate.
The problem with your logic is that you assume there will be teams in the NHl that will be up for that notion at that time. If you wanted to play that game, I'll do the same and say that those teams that struggle with the cap will fold and no longer be in existence.

See we both can play your ficticious game.

Keep Luongo. Have fun with him for the next 10 years. MG made his bed and soon it'll be his undoing. The writing is on the wall. Not many (teams), if any will want to deal for him.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:30 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Also your point about insuring him is incorrect.

The first 7 years of the deal are insured. The teams are on the hook for the 5 years after that (again assuming he doesnt retire).
I've explained this time and time again. You cannot insure a player for more than 7 years, therefore wherever Lou goes, the team will have him under contract at some point where he is not insured. You dont seem to understand why players need to be insured and why NHL teams do this.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:31 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
There are many options for teams to hit the cap floor, only Nucks fans believe the best way these cost conscious teams can hit the cap floor is trade for a player with a 5.3 cap hit for 9 years and has a NTC, and the contract is not insured.
1) You are incorrect about the insurance.

2) Please just capgeek Luongos contract before you post again. Do you think he will play those last 3 years. The "cap floor" situation is
- If he doesnt retire
- If you dont want to place him in the minors.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:32 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
reaching again. Show where cap floor teams have and will want a 9 year contract for a goalie who will be 42, and has a 5.3 cap hit? I've wasted too much time, cant wait to see the reaction here once that new CBA is signed.
When a new CBA is signed im gonna be too drunk to post on hfboards...

Old
12-08-2012, 08:35 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
I've explained this time and time again. You cannot insure a player for more than 7 years, therefore wherever Lou goes, the team will have him under contract at some point where he is not insured. You dont seem to understand why players need to be insured and why NHL teams do this.
And a quick google search tells me you are incorrect.

He is insured for years 1-7. Rick Dipietro collects cheques from the insurance company despite his deal...

You have misinterpreted the insurance point.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:35 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
1) You are incorrect about the insurance. 2) Please just capgeek Luongos contract before you post again. Do you think he will play those last 3 years. The "cap floor" situation is
- If he doesnt retire
- If you dont want to place him in the minors.
So NHL contracts can and are insured that are longer than 7 years? Love to see this.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:37 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

Quote:
The problem with your logic is that you assume there will be teams in the NHl that will be up for that notion at that time. If you wanted to play that game, I'll do the same and say that those teams that struggle with the cap will fold and no longer be in existence.

Keep Luongo. Have fun with him for the next 10 years. MG made his bed and soon it'll be his undoing. The writing is on the wall. Not many (teams), if any will want to deal for him.
See, my scenario is based on realistic possibility, whereas yours is reaching to extremes. How long as the league clung to Phoenix despite the catastrophe that experiment has been? Odds are incredibly remote any team will be contracted within the duration of Lu's contract.

However, I'll go you one better. What if Lu continues to play like Kipper, Brodeur, Khabibulin, Thomas and Roloson?

We will. What's another President's Trophy to go with the matching set? We can also move Schneider if worse comes to worse. So yeah, I think we're good.

Old
Ho Borvat

Quote:

The "ficticious circumstance" is really only a possibility if he doesn't retire, and they dont want to send him to the minors for some reason.

So its not like people are banking on it, its just a possibility if needed (ie if a team sent you a 7th for him, its better than just waiving him at age 40).

Old
New Liskeard

Quote:
When a new CBA is signed im gonna be too drunk to post on hfboards...
Thats convenient. i'm done here, enjoy the 9 year 5.3 cap hit, and i recommend you do some research on the insurance of professional athletes contracts, specifically NHL contracts.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:40 PM
DougGilmour93

Quote:
Seeing the CBA might damn us if he retires. Sure, go right ahead.
Now we're talking. We'll trade for 5 years of service of Luongo. After which we deal him back to Vancouver for some sort or compensation.

Luongo

for

Bozak + Kadri + Ashton + Franson + 1st in 2014

Old
12-08-2012, 08:44 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Thats convenient. i'm done here, enjoy the 9 year 5.3 cap hit, and i recommend you do some research on the insurance of professional athletes contracts, specifically NHL contracts.
Seriously google it...

The first thing that comes up says it covers players for 7 years.

Nowhere does it say players with >7 year deals aren't insured.
Again, Rick Dipietro has been collecting insurance cheques... Explain that to me

I would copy and paste but im on my phone.
- either your ignoring this, or
- misinterpreting it.

Closed Thread