HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Off-Season Madness the 9th: Tom Cheek Memorial Edition

Closed Thread

Old
12-08-2012, 05:10 PM
TieClark

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Funk View Post
Seeing as I didn't catch a lot of Angels games. Was he allowed to take a running start in the batters box?
I'm not sure if you're serious or not here...

Old
12-08-2012, 05:17 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
A lot of Trout's "power" was caused by his speed though.
He hit 30 HR in 139 games. That's not caused by speed. I am sure it helped him get some doubles and triples but I'm not sure that matters. Even if that helped him with some of his power, elite speed is not something Machado possess and Trout does and uses it.

Old
12-08-2012, 05:22 PM
Jozay
lolwut?

vCash: 1020
Quote:
A lot of Trout's "power" was caused by his speed though.
Are you trying to say that Trout hit a lot of inside the park home runs? Because, IIRC, Trout had 1 or maybe 2 inside the park home runs all season.

Old
12-08-2012, 05:35 PM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozay View Post
Are you trying to say that Trout hit a lot of inside the park home runs? Because, IIRC, Trout had 1 or maybe 2 inside the park home runs all season.
No I'm saying his slugging % which is a measurement of power was inflated because he can turn singles into doubles and doubles into triples regularly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
He hit 30 HR in 139 games. That's not caused by speed. I am sure it helped him get some doubles and triples but I'm not sure that matters. Even if that helped him with some of his power, elite speed is not something Machado possess and Trout does and uses it.
I'm not saying he doesn't have power, I'm just saying using sluggling % as a measurement of his power is silly when he has the speed he does. I don't disagree Machado won't hit 30 HR's or match any of Trout's stats really

Old
12-08-2012, 05:39 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
No I'm saying his slugging % which is a measurement of power was inflated because he can turn singles into doubles and doubles into triples regularly.

I'm not saying he doesn't have power, I'm just saying using sluggling % as a measurement of his power is silly when he has the speed he does. I don't disagree Machado won't hit 30 HR's or match any of Trout's stats really
I used ISO as well which was tied for 14th highest in the league, the same as Cano.

Speed helps him turn some singles into doubles and doubles into triples but that doesn't mean we should discount his power just because he has elite speed.

Old
12-08-2012, 05:41 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Seeing as I didn't catch a lot of Angels games. Was he allowed to take a running start in the batters box?
Well done, I had a good laugh at this.

Old
12-08-2012, 07:03 PM
GeneralSwell

Quote:

We won't see another rookie season like Trout's for a long time. He's a special player.

Old
12-08-2012, 07:24 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Looks like Greinke to the Dodgers is almost done. 6 years, 145 million.

Seems like a crazy over payment, but I don't think the Dodgers owner cares.

Old
12-08-2012, 07:32 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Yea, that seems on the higher side of what I expected. Having a 1-2 of Kershaw-Grienke might be worth it though.

Old
12-08-2012, 07:34 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
Yea, that seems on the higher side of what I expected. Having a 1-2 of Kershaw-Grienke might be worth it though.
Yeah like I said, LA can afford it. Don't get me wrong, Greinke is a very good arm, he's just not 25 million a year good.

Old
12-08-2012, 07:40 PM
weems

Awesome news for the Jays if true seeing hes now out of the AL.

Old
12-08-2012, 07:47 PM
Everlong
JoeyBats

Talk about cashing in. I like the deal as a baseball move for LA though. They're going to be so exciting for the next few years.

I'd expect one of Capuano/Harang to be available now.

Old
12-08-2012, 07:57 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan
With the estimated $24M+ Zack Greinke will make this year, the 2013 Dodgers will have the largest payroll in MLB history.

Wow. They have a lot of big name players but you wonder if they are really all that good (might depend on how good A-Gon/Hanley are next season).

Old
12-08-2012, 07:59 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
Awesome news for the Jays if true seeing hes now out of the AL.
I would have been okay with it if he re-signed with the Angels or signed with Texas, at least he would have been away from the AL East but yeah, this helps. I gotta think Rangers/Angels will now be looking at Sanchez/Jackson/Lohse and hopefully eliminate those guys from going to the Red Sux/Yankees or perhaps even Baltimore.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:00 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
I doubt he is anywhere near as good as Trout was this season. I don't think his bat is going to be as good as some think. It will be good for a 3B or if he remains at SS, it will be very good but he doesn't have the ceiling Trout/Harper have.

Either way, Orioles will probably suck. Yes, Bundy and Machado have a lot of potential but its tough to see them being good or great right away. Not everybody can pull a Harper or Trout who are generational players and Bundy nor Machado are that (Bundy may have a chance though).

BTW, Trout hit for a ton of power last year (.238 ISO, .564 slugging % -- it would shock me if Machado came near that next season... maybe he can do it at some point in his career but its tough to put up those ridiculous numbers at that age).
I don't mean on Trout's level, but I do mean a great breakout. Machado looked great last season despite not having very much AA experience let alone AAA. He plays in a hitter friendly ball park, is .290/.350/.500 out of the question for Machado? Probably not. He got Alex Rodriquez comparisons from quite a few people (Not homer Orioles fans either, guys like Keith Law and other professional opinon). He won't be quite there for a few years obviously.

When I said power/speed I meant over his career, I think Machado will hit for more power.

Speaking of Machado, apparently he had meningitis.
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/201...double-a-bowie

Really good for him he's an athlete and has regular medical checkups. I had someone close to me die from it about 6 years ago, kills before you even know you have it.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:03 PM
HappyGilmourr

Kershaw - Grienke is easily the best 1-2 in the league.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:15 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
I don't mean on Trout's level, but I do mean a great breakout. Machado looked great last season despite not having very much AA experience let alone AAA. He plays in a hitter friendly ball park, is .290/.350/.500 out of the question for Machado? Probably not. He got Alex Rodriquez comparisons from quite a few people (Not homer Orioles fans either, guys like Keith Law and other professional opinon). He won't be quite there for a few years obviously.

When I said power/speed I meant over his career, I think Machado will hit for more power.

Speaking of Machado, apparently he had meningitis.
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/201...double-a-bowie

Really good for him he's an athlete and has regular medical checkups. I had someone close to me die from it about 6 years ago, kills before you even know you have it.
The A-Rod comps to Machado are a joke. Yeah, maybe physically they are similar and they are both SS when they were drafted but they are so not anywhere close. A-Rod was Bryce Harper before Bryce Harper and tore up the minor leagues and reached majors at the age of 18. He also ended up hitting 21 homeruns through low A to AAA as an 18 year old and like Trout, he put up a nearly 10 WAR season as a 20 year old. It would shock me if Machado was anywhere near the hitter A-Rod ever was.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:16 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Looks like Greinke to the Dodgers is almost done. 6 years, 145 million.

Seems like a crazy over payment, but I don't think the Dodgers owner cares.
A 1-2 of Greinke and Kershaw is scary good though and he is a top tier pitcher so I'm not shocked.

But Dodgers have many question marks.. Can Crawford and Kemp stay healthy? Can Agon return to form? If all goes well, they are dangerous though

Old
12-08-2012, 08:19 PM
TheOtherSide

Holzer just cranked him!!! wow

Oops...wrong thread.

so how about dem blue jays.....

Old
12-08-2012, 08:21 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherSide View Post
Holzer just cranked him!!! wow
Wrong thread?

Old
12-08-2012, 08:25 PM
mapes

It's official, 6 years 147 mill

Old
12-08-2012, 08:26 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
The A-Rod comps to Machado are a joke. Yeah, maybe physically they are similar and they are both SS when they were drafted but they are so not anywhere close. A-Rod was Bryce Harper before Bryce Harper and tore up the minor leagues and reached majors at the age of 18. He also ended up hitting 21 homeruns through low A to AAA as an 18 year old and like Trout, he put up a nearly 10 WAR season as a 20 year old. It would shock me if Machado was anywhere near the hitter A-Rod ever was.
Maybe, but the fact remains it's not an uncommon comparison and it comes from plenty of reputable and respectable sources. You don't have to follow a comparison players career player to be like that player.

Besides, it's a high end comparison, just like the Aaron Sanchez and Justin Verlander comparison. Likelyhood to do that? Not great, but that's irrelevant to the comparison. Regardless of this, the concensus is Macahdo has extremely high potential.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:27 PM
HappyGilmourr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
A 1-2 of Greinke and Kershaw is scary good though and he is a top tier pitcher so I'm not shocked.

But Dodgers have many question marks.. Can Crawford and Kemp stay healthy? Can Agon return to form? If all goes well, they are dangerous though
Kemp, Gonzalez, Kershaw, Greinke, Ramirez has to be one of the best cores of all time... than they have guys like Either, Crawford etc. That team is so stacked lets see if they can get it done.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:30 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozak View Post
Kemp, Gonzalez, Kershaw, Greinke, Ramirez has to be one of the best cores of all time... than they have guys like Either, Crawford etc. That team is so stacked lets see if they can get it done.
They definitely have tons of talent. Health is a concern and some need to bounce back. Crazy team if all goes well. Jansen and League are decent too, out of the pen. Jansen is one of the top relievers. Then factor in Bills and Beckett as their 3-4 pitchers.

They must have an extremely high payroll

Old
12-08-2012, 08:34 PM
TheOtherSide

I wonder how angels fans are feeling right now...

That is a pretty massive contract but they have a serious 1-2 punch at the top of their rotation now!

Closed Thread