HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lockout Discussion Thread 3.0

Closed Thread

Old
12-08-2012, 07:35 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
Lol.

Incorrect. Again. You just keep IGNORING actual FACTS, don't you?

The players get their GUARANTEED contracts. They get paid exceedingly well, better than anyone else in the same career they have chosen. They get the best equipment, trainers, doctors, flights, hotels, food, etc, etc, etc...that money can buy and don't actually contribute a cent from their own pockets for any of it. The owners give them quite a bit.
Exactly. Wouldn't it be fair that players also split the bill from their own HRR? They claim that they want the fairest deal for everyone after all.

Old
12-08-2012, 07:36 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Lol.

The players get their GUARANTEED contracts. They get paid exceedingly well, better than anyone else in the same career they have chosen. They get the best equipment, trainers, doctors, flights, hotels, food, etc, etc, etc...that money can buy and don't actually contribute a cent from their own pockets for any of it. The owners give them quite a bit.
not a fact.

Old
12-08-2012, 07:38 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
I think that the Prust think was taken out of context and then blown out of context. Prust was making a bit of a joke, a fan lost his temper due to misunderstanding it, and then Prust let some of his frustration show. Prust should not be shot down because he showed his human side. He has been doing a lot of stuff around town to make fans happy since signing here:showing up for impromptu skates, signing autographs without charging anyone, chatting with people, letting fans know he is excited to play for Montreal, etc... Please, guys, let us all take a step back and recognize that sometimes people lose their tempers. I try my best not to be too ignorant on these boards, but have also lost my temper at times and straight out attacked people who I have felt crossed the line with me. Prust just did that. Give the man some slack, please.
I'd give him slack if the fan's comment was uncalled for, but I hardly believe that.

Old
12-08-2012, 07:38 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
So, you're gonna cry all your life that it was unjust for you not to be raised by millionnaires ? I suggest you move on, better for your mental and physical health.

Sure, Molson, Jacobs and co care so much about the other workers, right ? Yeah, that's why they decided to lockout. to help em out...

poor decisions are made pretty much everyday by everyone, get over it. pretty sure that, like me and everyone else in here, you make stupid remark(s) everyday.

I dont care is G Molson is a retard, dont care either if Cole or Prust are retard, as long as they entertain me when I watch hockey I'm fine with it. If I want something "smarter", I'll watch or read something else.
It's important to remember that we don't know how old some of these people are.

I was full of envy and jealousy most of my teenage years. It's really not a good way to live, and I feel bad for some of the consequences. It's a human emotion, but not a productive one in most cases. Our emotions were optimized for the African savannah where we evolved, but behaving as paleolithic man is not a great way to live in this modern world.

Anyway, some of the posters saying "Hockey players have so much !!! they have more than me !!! they should shut up and play !!!!" might just be at that earlier stage of development. They could be 15, 16. I've criticized them, but I would have said the same things when I was 15.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
That trend isn't much different from Phoenix though. And there's a reason not even the NFL has seriously proposed going to Vegas.

First of all, the population tends to be transient meaning people have loyalties elsewhere; this has changed a bit but it's another American sunbelt city with massive sprawl.

The population centre is dominated by tourists, nobody is going to the desert to see the NHL. Vegas is already an entertainment capital, but what thrives there is special events like boxing and one time shows. It would be a great choice for an all star game or something, but a league season would get old quickly there.

Related to that, we aren't talking about an untapped market investment wise. You'd be competing for sponsorship money with the other events offered in Vegas, and there's no way hockey in the desert is going to take precedent over what Vegas is actually known for.

http://money.cnn.com/2007/03/23/comm...sbiz/index.htm

In fact the only advantage the NHL has over other sports teams in breaking that market, is hockey is so unpopular there that people don't even bet on it!
You've convinced me on Vegas.

Quote:
By the way, I never stated the players SHOULDN'T get the perks they get. I only pointed out that they actually get them. That is not quite the definition of "envious".
Your entire history in this thread has been to argue that players should get less.

Quote:
Shouldn't an educated academic like you understand the difference???
Not sure why you're incapable of writing a post without referring to my professional status. I certainly don't comment on your being a schoolteacher in every post. It's not relevant.

Quote:
Nobody pays Molson for his autograph.
Why not? I thought owners were the real heroes in this business? Paying for all the costs and all the risks, and that nobody would notice a difference if all players were replaced?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
UFO's

Old
12-08-2012, 07:44 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
It's important to remember that we don't know how old some of these people are.

I was full of envy and jealousy most of my teenage years. It's really not a good way to live, and I feel bad for some of the consequences. It's a human emotion, but not a productive one in most cases. Our emotions were optimized for the African savannah where we evolved, but behaving as paleolithic man is not a great way to live in this modern world.

Anyway, some of the posters saying "Hockey players have so much !!! they have more than me !!! they should shut up and play !!!!" might just be at that earlier stage of development. They could be 15, 16. I've criticized them, but I would have said the same things when I was 15.

You've convinced me on Vegas.

Your entire history in this thread has been to argue that players should get less.

Not sure why you're incapable of writing a post without referring to my professional status. I certainly don't comment on your being a schoolteacher in every post. It's not relevant.

Why not? I thought owners were the real heroes in this business? Paying for all the costs and all the risks, and that nobody would notice a difference if all players were replaced?

Dude, it seems like you take every post out of context and it's so frustrating, even if I'm not the one arguing with you. You just completely miss the point on purpose.

Actually, you're the only one in this thread bringing up envy and jealousy when it's completely unnecessary. Pure gaslighting.

Old
12-08-2012, 07:48 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Lol.

First of all, a lot of costs are subtracted from HRR, I'm not sure why you're saying players don't pay a cent; they pay 57% of costs that are subtracted.

Second, yes, teams pay for the best equipment. Any team that wants to pay for inferior equipment can lose games and finish last. No team will give Corey Perry a contract next summer and then ask him to play with a $10 hockey stick and $30 skates.

Could you imagine Lewis Hamilton driving around the Formula 1 racetrack in a used 1992 Ford Tempo? How do you think he would do?

The same is true of doctors, flights, food, and hotels.

Bottom line: your point on players getting the best equipment doesn't come off as a great point. They would get the same equipment with decertification, the same doctors, and the same hotels.

Old
12-08-2012, 07:55 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Gaines View Post
Dude, it seems like you take every post out of context and it's so frustrating, even if I'm not the one arguing with you. You just completely miss the point on purpose.
I'm sorry if you can't follow me.

Quote:
Actually, you're the only one in this thread bringing up envy and jealousy when it's completely unnecessary.
A lot of people have noticed and commented on the fact anti-union sentiment is rooted in envy.

It's necessary to describe things as they are. A lot of posters are envious of the players and that leads to their conclusions. Some have been very explicit, so if you can't see something so blatant then I can't help you.

Here's one example:
Quote:
All I'm saying is if you're getting paid $560/minute(minimum wage) while you work (game time), and paying NOTHING to travel North America every week or so, get lodged in nice hotels, get free meals and training sessions, access to state of the art training facilities and countless other perks, stop f'ing whining about 5 year max contract terms and insignifigant things of the sort...

Old
12-08-2012, 08:15 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
I'm sorry if you can't follow me.

A lot of people have noticed and commented on the fact anti-union sentiment is rooted in envy.

It's necessary to describe things as they are. A lot of posters are envious of the players and that leads to their conclusions. Some have been very explicit, so if you can't see something so blatant then I can't help you.

Here's one example:

Quite condescendent remark.

Second, I don't see how the envy is blatant in what you just posted. All I see is a person who's opinion is that players are spoiled, which is true. For you to come and call anyone who thinks that way envious and jealous is nothing but you trying to disorient someone's opinion.

You do bring up some good points in your position, but your arrogance and your twisting of opinions are annoying.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:28 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
I don't see how the envy is blatant in what you just posted.
And that is why you get condescended to.

Let's bring it up again:
Quote:
All I'm saying is if you're getting paid $560/minute(minimum wage) while you work (game time), and paying NOTHING to travel North America every week or so, get lodged in nice hotels, get free meals and training sessions, access to state of the art training facilities and countless other perks, stop f'ing whining about 5 year max contract terms and insignifigant things of the sort...
He's completely exaggerating the players' benefits (i.e. they're only working when they're on the ice during a game; spending 80 nights a year in hotels is a gift), and thus concludes that the players should shut up and accept whatever the owners are demanding. Basically, his conclusions, that the players should submit, are explicitly derived from his envy. You're wearing some heavy blinders if you don't see it.

As an aside, I travel as part of my work, not as often as hockey players of course, but still too often imo.

The first time it happened, I had to go to Victoria, BC. I was very, very excited, it felt like a massive perk. I thought I was incredibly lucky. Now, fast forward six years, and it doesn't feel like the greatest thing in the world. For the most part, I hate airports, I hate airplanes, and I hate hotels; searching for a parking spot and then waiting in line like a sheep, the cramped seats, the horrible food, low air quality got old really fast. They're uncomfortable and unproductive. Players are not living the high life to be forced away from work all the time; it's definitely part of their job and I'm sure most of them would rather be at home. However, the game would not be possible without travel, and thus they travel for work reasons.

Some friends of mine went to Rome recently. If you're 15, 20 or even 25 you might see that as a great perk. In truth, they got on the plane the day after their business was done. Rome is beautiful, but they wanted to get back to their families and kids, which you need to do when you fly dozens of times a year.

Point is, it's not a gift that players need to fly 50 or 60 times a year. It's a job requirement.

Last edited by DAChampion: 12-08-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old
12-08-2012, 08:50 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
And that is why you get condescended to.

Let's bring it up again:

He's completely exaggerating the players' benefits (i.e. they're only working when they're on the ice during a game; spending 80 nights a year in hotels is a gift), and thus concludes that the players should shut up and accept whatever the owners are demanding. Basically, his conclusions, that the players should submit, are explicitly derived from his envy. You're wearing some heavy blinders if you don't see it.

As an aside, I travel as part of my work, not as often as hockey players of course, but still too often imo.

The first time it happened, I had to go to Victoria, BC. I was very, very excited, it felt like a massive perk. I thought I was incredibly lucky. Now, fast forward six years, and it doesn't feel like the greatest thing in the world. For the most part, I hate airports, I hate airplanes, and I hate hotels; searching for a parking spot and then waiting in line like a sheep, the cramped seats, the horrible food, low air quality got old really fast. They're uncomfortable and unproductive. Players are not living the high life to be forced away from work all the time; it's definitely part of their job and I'm sure most of them would rather be at home. However, the game would not be possible without travel, and thus they travel for work reasons.

Some friends of mine went to Rome recently. If you're 15, 20 or even 25 you might see that as a great perk. In truth, they got on the plane the day after their business was done. Rome is beautiful, but they wanted to get back to their families and kids, which you need to do when you fly dozens of times a year.

Point is, it's not a gift that players need to fly 50 or 60 times a year. It's a job requirement.
See, this is where you fail to use reason:

All of those things; benefits, perks or job requirements as you say, are given to the players and some of it is given back, fact. The person who posted that was bringing up the fact that the players get what they need to do their job at a high level, the highest in the world, yet they're still petty over issues as contract length, which has nearly no effect to their working conditions, except that players with 5+ year deals (which is only like 12% of players) who will under perform after 2-3 years of their contract, wont likely get paid for many more years after that. That's more like being accountable of your performance.

I don't think I have a blinder on, I don't think you have a blinder on either. I just think that we have a different perspective and opinion regarding that. I'm a hockey fan, but in no way I'm envying the life that the players live, why? Because I have my own goals and dreams in life, and playing hockey in the NHL is none of them.

So for you to be calling people envious over remarks like that is short-sighted IMHO, you don't even know that person's story.

Last edited by Myron Gaines*: 12-08-2012 at 08:56 PM.
Old
12-08-2012, 08:58 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
See, this is where you fail to use reason:

All of those things, benefits, perks or job requirements as you say, are given to the players and some of it is given back, fact. The person who posted that was bringing up the fact that the players get what they need to do their job at a high level, the highest in the world, yet they're still petty over issues as contract length, which has nearly no effect to their working conditions, except that players with 5+ year deals (which is only like 12% of players) who will under perform after 2-3 years of their contract, wont likely get paid for many more years after that. That's more like being accountable of your performance.

I don't think I have a blinder on, I don't think you have a blinder on either. I just think that we have a different perspective and opinion regarding that. I'm a hockey fan, but in no way I'm envying the life that the players live, why? Because I have my own goals and dreams in life, and playing hockey in the NHL is none of them.

So for you to be calling people envious over remarks like that is short-sighted IMHO, you don't even know that person's story.
they "need", so what you're saying actually is that what you guys call benefits are actually tools.

neither side would be fighting over points that have "no effect".

Old
12-08-2012, 09:06 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
See, this is where you fail to use logic:

All of those things, benefits, perks or job requirements as you say, are given to the players and some of it is given back, fact. The person who posted that was bringing up the fact that the players get what they need to do their job at a high level, the highest in the world, yet they're still petty over issues as contract length, which has nearly no effect to their working conditions, except that players with 5+ year deals (which is only like 12% of players) who will under perform after 2-3 years of their contract, wont likely get paid for many more years after that.
I think contract limits and salary variations would be good for the game. However, it's a concession from the players to the owners. I have no problem with that in principle, but the owners should give something back. They might argue, for example, "we'll raise our offer from 57% to 58% if you accept the contract limits", or " we'll raise the minimum salary from $500,000 to $750,000" or "we'll reduce the frequency on roster trades", but they're not offering anything in return.

Here is the tally of proposed changes:
- Contract limits, advantage owners
- Reduced player share of HRR, advantage owners
- An extra year of restricted free agency, advantage owners
- limits on year-to-year salary variations, advantage owners
- revenue sharing to grow very slowly, neutral
- end to re-entry waivers, with AHL salaries now counting towards the cap, neutral

It's just take, take, take, take from the NHL. There's no proposed change that can be described as advantage players except possibly the last one, which is the smallest change. Hence the players are frustrated.

It's quite ignorant for posters to write "the players have everything they could possibly want !!! stop whining and start playing !!!!" It's a position rooted in envy. He's losing all consideration for the situation and just seeing men bathing in gold.

Quote:
Congratulations.

Quote:
I know his tone, and he had several other posts to that effect.

Old
12-08-2012, 09:10 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
they "need", so what you're saying actually is that what you guys call benefits are actually tools.

neither side would be fighting over points that have "no effect".
Call it whatever you want, but the players still actually benefit from it.

And tell me what effect in working conditions does having a 5 year contract length limit have? None.

It's all about the NHLPA showing solidarity to Sidney Crosby's and Ovechkins, at least publically, and that's fine.

Old
12-08-2012, 09:13 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
It's all about the NHLPA showing solidarity to Sidney Crosby's and Ovechkins, at least publically, and that's fine.
Long-term contracts are a perk to the best players, those who can earn them. It's basically equivalent to tenure for school teachers for example. It's a reward for excellence.

I'm entirely in favor of removing lifetime contracts, I think it will be good for the game, but the owners should offer something in return.

Old
12-08-2012, 09:16 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Quite condescendent remark.

Second, I don't see how the envy is blatant in what you just posted. All I see is a person who's opinion is that players are spoiled, which is true. For you to come and call anyone who thinks that way envious and jealous is nothing but you trying to disorient someone's opinion.

You do bring up some good points in your position, but your arrogance and your twisting of opinions are annoying.
How can a player be spoiled when he IS the money? This opinion is crazy to me, same reason I hate banks, they just rob you under the guise of protecting/helping you. I have to pay them in order for them to profit off me, all the while charging someone else to borrow my money. Ridiculous, but that's the way the world works and the sheeple stand strong. Owners profit off of the players, not the other way around.

Look, I get that the league needs a bit of help from the players, but it should not be forgotten that literally everything removed from the last CBA should be considered as a concession from the players. If they've agreed to take the hit(make whole), then they should be able to negotiate off some of the owners other drastic demands( 5 yr UFA, 10 yr CBA).

Old
12-08-2012, 09:49 PM
Habbadasher

Quote:

Here is the tally of proposed changes:
- Contract limits, advantage owners
- Reduced player share of HRR, advantage owners
- An extra year of restricted free agency, advantage owners
- limits on year-to-year salary variations, advantage owners
- revenue sharing to grow very slowly, neutral
- end to re-entry waivers, with AHL salaries now counting towards the cap, neutral
Contract Limits: You have argued that for every overpaid player there is an underpaid one. Contract limits minimizes this problem. Neutral.

Extra Year of Restricted Free Agency: Advantage the fans. It bothers me, as a fan, to see a player become FA just as he enters his prime (generally considered 27 -30). Players are signing big $ contracts before they become FA, so it does not hinder their earning ability.

Limits on year-to-year salary variations: Neutral. Players can count on a steady stream of income, and teams can no longer get around the cap.

Revenue Sharing to Grow Very Slowly: ????? 33%, or 3.3%/year on a 10 year deal, is still much higher than inflation, about double in fact. Though I have said before it should increase with revenue (so increase 33% now, then with increases or decreases with revenue). More teams making money means more jobs. Advantage players.

Reality is that unions are taking it the teeth these days, they either give back some of their excessive salaries, and benefits, or find a new job. Reality is, life is not fair, the guy with the deeper pockets always wins, and more profitable teams means more jobs.

Old
12-08-2012, 09:50 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Call it whatever you want, but the players still actually benefit from it.

And tell me what effect in working conditions does having a 5 year contract length limit have? None.

just like a Computer tech benefits from not having to work with a 386. Is that a benefit, really ?

Old
12-08-2012, 09:53 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habbadasher View Post
Contract Limits: You have argued that for every overpaid player there is an underpaid one. Contract limits minimizes this problem. Neutral.

Extra Year of Restricted Free Agency: Advantage the fans. It bothers me, as a fan, to see a player become FA just as he enters his prime (generally considered 27 -30). Players are signing big $ contracts before they become FA, so it does not hinder their earning ability.

Limits on year-to-year salary variations: Neutral. Players can count on a steady stream of income, and teams can no longer get around the cap.

Revenue Sharing to Grow Very Slowly: ????? 33%, or 3.3%/year on a 10 year deal, is still much higher than inflation, about double in fact. Though I have said before it should increase with revenue (so increase 33% now, then with increases or decreases with revenue). More teams making money means more jobs. Advantage players.

Reality is that unions are taking it the teeth these days, they either give back some of their excessive salaries, and benefits, or find a new job. Reality is, life is not fair, the guy with the deeper pockets always wins, and more profitable teams means more jobs.
and yet, with the 5 years limit, it may happen a little more.

Old
12-08-2012, 09:55 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:

lower salaries does NOT mean teams will go from losing 20 mil a year to making 20 mil profits... PHX, CLB and the Florida teams will still lose money.

Old
12-08-2012, 09:58 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
just like a Computer tech benefits from not having to work with a 386. Is that a benefit, really ?
Are you really comparing luxury labour commodities to actualized computers to tech guys? If you wanna make that comparison, give hockey players 20$ hockey sticks and old used padding.

Old
12-08-2012, 10:01 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Then why does the NHLPA oppose contract limits and owners support it?

Contract limits: advantage owners.

Quote:
The players are not chattel.

And fans are not a bargaining party.

Quote:
Not really, a front-loaded 40 million dollars is worth more than an evenly-spaced 40 million dollars due to the time-value of money. Front-loading is also more immune to future rollbacks. Shea Weber, Ryan Suter, etc are all thrilled they got front-loading, as the front-loading is not subject to rollbacks.

As for steady income stream, players are allowed to request that.

Quote:
Revenue Sharing to Grow Very Slowly: ????? 33%, or 3.3%/year on a 10 year deal, is still much higher than inflation, about double in fact.
The inflation rate for the NHL is about 8%/year.

Quote:
excessive salaries, and benefits

Last edited by DAChampion: 12-08-2012 at 10:08 PM.
Old
12-08-2012, 10:04 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Are you really comparing luxury labour commodities to actualized computers to tech guys?
I just got a macbook air for my workplace, with wireless mouse, keyboard, and $1200 thunderbolt monitor. I also have remote access to supercomputer nodes.

It's a job requirement, not a luxury.

Quote:
If you wanna make that comparison, give hockey players 20$ hockey sticks and old used padding.
Give Lewis Hamilton a used 1992 Ford Tempo to drive around the Formula 1 racetrack.

Give Novak Djokovic a wooden Tennis racket.

Give some sandals to Christiano Ronaldo.

Old
12-08-2012, 10:10 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
I just got a macbook air for my workplace, with wireless mouse, keyboard, and $1200 thunderbolt monitor. I also have remote access to supercomputer nodes.

It's a job requirement, not a luxury.

Give Lewis Hamilton a used 1992 Ford Tempo to drive around the Formula 1 racetrack.

Give Novak Djokovic a wooden Tennis racket.

Give some sandals to Christiano Ronaldo.
Congrats on your new mac.

And yeah, that's exactly what I said and alluded to in my post. Players should play with toy equipement and drive themselves from state to state to play the game.

You can't be serious.

There's a difference between hockey equipement, medical attention and luxury hotels/private masseuses.

Give the players free food, free housing and million dollar cars too.

See what I'm doing?

Old
12-08-2012, 10:14 PM
Corky

Unions are a plague and the NHL lockout proves it once again. In hockey like in any other industry, unionized employees are blindingly following a few hot head leaders and end up losing big.

If any of these players had an ounce of rational thinking, they would go back to work ASAP. What they are losing right now will never be gained back. Hockey players have very short careers and they should make the most of it. A lockout is terrible for them economically whichever way you look at it.

The players will lose that fight, it's written in the sky. Most NHL owners are not making money with the current system, how hard is it to comprehend that. The owners can easily afford to go one year without hockey. The players can afford it as well, but take on a much larger hit.

It's so simple but unfortunately, the players have been brainwashed to a point of no return (See Erik Cole vs Roman Hamrlik).

It's not even about taking a side, it's simple economics...

End of rant.

Old
12-08-2012, 10:15 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Are you really comparing luxury labour commodities to actualized computers to tech guys? If you wanna make that comparison, give hockey players 20$ hockey sticks and old used padding.
no problems, dont complain they arent as productive as they were though.

Closed Thread