Closed Thread

Old
12-08-2012, 06:17 PM
Duir
Registered Bunk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Airlines View Post
Hainsey deserves nothing but criticism for his pathetic attitude throughout the process. Fehr aside, he's been the greediest of the greedy.

And you are wrong. I have been part of labour talks for a new CBA with one of my last employers. We were severely underpaid (on average, $6/hour less than other companies doing the same job), and had very few benefits. In the end, we settled for comprehensive benefits and a $1/hour raise. Why? We liked our jobs, we knew we had to please our customers and contract airlines, or we may end up with no jobs to go back to.

We certainly weren't a bunch of massively overpaid millionaires who want more, more, more.

Nobody should be kidding themselves with this "the players are willing to take less" crap. Revenues are expected to continue to grow. The players know they will end up with more money in the end regardless of a cut for a few seasons.
If you really have been involved collective bargaining then you should have an understanding of Hainsey position. Like I have said repeatedly, I don't side with the players, but would you not want a guy like him on your side of the table?

Sound to me like your problem is not with Hainsey, it is what is the fair market value system CBA; namely UFA's and laissez faire approach that the CBA and entertainment market offer.

Old
12-08-2012, 06:27 PM
Huffer

vCash: 50
I personally have no problem separating the PA Hainsey, and the hockey player Hainsey. Up to this point (unless I've missed something), I haven't heard Hainsey insult the fans, or the city of Winnipeg specifically. Other that that, I can't really fault the guy for trying to do the best he can in the role he is in. And really, he's one of the guys in this situation that stands to lose a lot. He was on the last year of the type of contract that he will never see again. If he's willing to lose that kind of money, he obviously believes in his cause pretty strongly.

If he wanted to come back to the Jets on a new deal, to me, it would be contingent on what that deal was and what his role would be.

My own personal opinion of where I thought Hainsey would slot in with the Jets hasn't changed because of the lockout. I still think that if we are to seriously compete, that we needed an upgrade on him on the second pair.

But, I would take him back if he took on the role of 5-6 D man, with the appropriate contract to go along with it. Unless the org decided that someone in the org would be a better fit in the 5-6 role (younger, cheaper, to develop talent, etc). Like a Meech, Redmond, or Postma for example.

Old
12-08-2012, 06:41 PM
SCP Guy

While I am pro owner because I want the Jets to benefit....I have zero issue with Hainsey....He is doing his best to represent his union for the benefit of it members financially....Pro hockey is a business and pro hockey players are nothing more then sub contractors....Sure they may love the job they do and sure the owners my love their hockey teams....but make no mistake the only people that are not in if for the money are the fans......

Old
12-08-2012, 07:00 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...s-bad-cop.html

I love this quote:

Quote:
"It's the games you miss. The games are what's fun...going back to Winnipeg; the great crowd, the large groan you notice when you make a mistake," he laughs. (That's not an insult, Manitobans. He loved being in a place where every game mattered to the city.)
At least he knows when he makes a mistake.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:54 PM
ps241
2.6% chance

Interesting discussion on 1290 this afternoon when I was on my way to get groceries. lawless was saying Ron has been Fehr's right hand man and the union WHIP in charge of keeping players in line and Gary mentioned a few of the players have said on occasion he can be heavy handed.....normally I would discount this as a troll job but Beyak who has credibility confirmed he heard similar. Dennis mentioned it's a thankless job but Ron does it well and is probably working towards one of the player VP rolls post career. They mentioned Snyder gets paid about $250,000 a year so it's not chump change although it pails in comparison to an NHL salary.

for those of you that missed it Ron was on "that's hockey" yesterday and did a very good interview describing how things went in the room with the six owners. he was pretty calm and rational as he recounted the meetings. most of the other players they were interviewing were out to lunch talking about how the owners rejected there offer in minutes and I wanted to say NO **** it's because the moderates pitched a bundled deal and you cherry picked the items they gave on and didn't follow through on your end of the bargain????? either way Ron had the cool head and seemed to want to keep plugging away.

I am pro TNSE and anti NHLPA but when its over it will be over and When Ron pulls his jets jersey back on I will be cheering for him just as much as any other Jet. on top of that we really need him in our top 4 because we have a big drop off after Ron IMHO.

Old
12-08-2012, 09:08 PM
puck stoppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Interesting discussion on 1290 this afternoon when I was on my way to get groceries. lawless was saying Ron has been Fehr's right hand man and the union WHIP in charge of keeping players in line and Gary mentioned a few of the players have said on occasion he can be heavy handed.....normally I would discount this as a troll job but Beyak who has credibility confirmed he heard similar. Dennis mentioned it's a thankless job but Ron does it well and is probably working towards one of the player VP rolls post career. They mentioned Snyder gets paid about $250,000 a year so it's not chump change although it pails in comparison to an NHL salary.

for those of you that missed it Ron was on "that's hockey" yesterday and did a very good interview describing how things went in the room with the six owners. he was pretty calm and rational as he recounted the meetings. most of the other players they were interviewing were out to lunch talking about how the owners rejected there offer in minutes and I wanted to say NO **** it's because the moderates pitched a bundled deal and you cherry picked the items they gave on and didn't follow through on your end of the bargain????? either way Ron had the cool head and seemed to want to keep plugging away.

I am pro TNSE and anti NHLPA but when its over it will be over and When Ron pulls his jets jersey back on I will be cheering for him just as much as any other Jet. on top of that we really need him in our top 4 because we have a big drop off after Ron IMHO.
Of course its a big dropoff, who else can score 6 goals per game Ive always liked Hanisey's simple game but he was never given a fair chance by fans even before this NHLPA stuff because of his big contract. So many people kept telling me that he sucks and should be traded, well he is a good #4 -5 Dman and if he made 2 million per year people would be praising how good he is.

Old
12-08-2012, 10:46 PM
buggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
well he is a good #4 -5 Dman and if he made 2 million per year people would be praising how good he is.
Yes.

Old
12-09-2012, 02:39 PM
Tintin's Ghost

Hainsey the player rep is a lot worse than Hainsey the hockey player. NHL players are still locked out. No games, no pay. This is not a sign of a job well done by the owners, NHLPA or reps of either side. If Hainsey is just "doing his job" he is doing it rather poorly. Certainly, owners are at fault. But if Hainsey and player rep tactics was to vilify owners (see Hainsey's whiny rant on Lawless) and be difficult (see accounts of Hainsey yelling at owners and league reps in the middle of negotiations) then the NHLPA and Hainsey cannot make any claim that they acted constructively or professionally.

I don't know of any lockout/strike/cba negotiation in any other industry where the goal is to prolong the lockout and miss out on pay. Obviously the inflated incomes of athletes allow them to endure the loss of business much longer but only to a point. When the much-larger, much-richer and much better run NFL comes to agreement early then that is template for NHL to follow. When the NHL fails to do so (again falls on both players and owners) and players are running around making it worse then they border on pure idiocy.

I expected more from Hainsey given that he is older, went the college route, etc. Perhaps this is just the limiting nature of a union structure. I have observed labour strife in form of strikes and lockouts. There are, unfortunately, a lot of "leaders" on the union side who have no qualms if their members suffer financially while they score political points for bad-mouthing the evil employer. I thought maybe those theatrics limited to some Marxist types but maybe it's just inherit how all unions operate. The fact that Hainsey strong arms his fellow players into obeying Fehr highlights the worst possible tendencies of unions. I wish Hainsey had as much balls on the ice top as he does on his cellphone telling his colleagues why they can only think one way.

Old
12-10-2012, 01:22 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 200
Games to be cancelled through December 30.
http://m.espn.go.com/nhl/story?storyId=8732721

Old
12-10-2012, 01:34 PM
sully1410

NHL has cancelled games through to Dec 30. That is apparently 43% of the season.

In order to see hockey this year, there needs to be a 48 game schedule. That means that there needs to be an agreement within the next month or so.

For the very first time, I'm not optimistic and I cannot see how they are going to get this done.

**** them both. A bunch of greedy ****ing *******s. Through this whole thing I was pro owner, but would it have been too much to ask to give a little on the contract rights?

Don't answer that, because apparently it is.

In my personal view, the owners are shouldering half the blame for this lockout at this point. It was the players to this point with their stall tactics and their half assed proposals to this point...now it's the owners and their ******** hard line.

Maybe I'm wrong, and if I am please correct me.

They were so close last week, and that have me do much hope that they had actually pulled their heads out of each others *****. Now, I'm just...crushed really.

I just don't see it happen, and this time I hope the league and everyone in it feels it. I really do. I want them to think twice before flipping the switch on a lock out.

Bunch of ****ing bag lickers.

Old
12-10-2012, 02:05 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
NHL has cancelled games through to Dec 30. That is apparently 43% of the season.
K
In order to see hockey this year, there needs to be a 48 game schedule. That means that there needs to be an agreement within the next month or so.

For the very first time, I'm not optimistic and I cannot see how they are going to get this done.

**** them both. A bunch of greedy ****ing *******s. Through this whole thing I was pro owner, but would it have been too much to ask to give a little on the contract rights?

In my personal view, the owners are shouldering half the blame for this lockout at this point. It was the players to this point with their stall tactics and their half assed proposals to this point...now it's the owners and their ******** hard line.

They were so close last week, and that have me do much hope that they had actually pulled their heads out of each others *****. Now, I'm just...crushed really.

I just don't see it happen, and this time I hope the league and everyone in it feels it. I really do. I want them to think twice before flipping the switch on a lock out.

Did you miss last week? The owners gave back substantially on contract issues.

UFA, Arbitration, and Rookie deals all were given back. They even raised max contracts length by two years for home grown players.

Not to mention they increased makewhole by 90 million and agreed to fix the PA's pensions. If anyone is to blame its Fehr cherry picking and moving the goalposts. The owners asked for a couple of things for the concessions they were willing to give and the players got greedy and failed to hold up their end of the bargain. Don't blame the owners one bit after the crap the union pulled last week.

Old
12-10-2012, 02:17 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post

UFA, Arbitration, and Rookie deals all were given back. They even raised max contracts length by two years for home grown players.

Not to mention they increased makewhole by 90 million and agreed to fix the PA's pensions. If anyone is to blame its Fehr cherry picking and moving the goalposts. The owners asked for a couple of things for the concessions they were willing to give and the players got greedy and failed to hold up their end of the bargain. Don't blame the owners one bit after the crap the union pulled last week.
Beat me to it. ^^^
Obviously no one in this mess comes out smelling clean. Owners DO shoulder some of the blame. In my opinion however the majority of the blame goes to the players.

Old
12-10-2012, 02:19 PM
Gm0ney

vCash: 1300
Quote:

Maybe they're just waiting for us all to lose hope? And then BOOM! Merry Christmas! See you at the TB game on New Year's Eve!

Owner's were mad last week because of the PA trying to cherry pick the "package deal" the players-owners-only meeting came up with. Did anyone hear Lawless' account of what Bettman said about that Thursday evening press conference? It was on the Friday evening H&L show. I don't know if it's available on TSN. Also, Daly's referred to moving goalposts: first it was the make-whole on current contracts that was the big issue for players. Then it was contracting. Then it was pensions...so what's it going to be next? Also, when Fehr said Thursday that the money issues are solved - the NHLPA's latest proposal included an escrow cap and buyouts - i.e. "money stuff" that hasn't been resolved.

Anyway, that's neither here nor there. The only 2 options I see are either that the players are holding out for whatever they can get before the real drop-dead date (the 48 game schedule); or that the PA really never intended to make a 50-50 revenue cap deal and they want to blow the whole thing up. The latter, it seems to me, has been more likely than the former for a long time now.

Old
12-10-2012, 02:20 PM
ps241
2.6% chance

Quote:

This

between feel good Tuesday and when they re-entered the room Wednesday someone on the PA side (I wonder who???) decided F%$# it, letís squeeze the owners for more than we all verbally agreed to last night! Itís quite the accomplishment to take the moderate owners that want to play the game and turn Tanenbaum (head ready to explode), Burkle (visibly upset), and Chipman (trying to calm the sides) and get them mad enough to walk? That happened because the spirit of progress was broken IMHO.

Both sides own a share of the blame but last week the players had a shot but decided they wanted to press for more and in the process sent the moderate owners packing.........time will tell if they overplayed their hand but they did cost themselves a few more pay checks at a minimum.......tick tock......tick tock!

Old
12-10-2012, 03:08 PM
Back in the Bigs
and lovin' it !!

not that I think it will happen, but at this point I'm pretty much hoping they don't pull a rabbit out of their butt and get the season started New Years Eve and somehow screw up the availability of some guys for Team Canada in the WJC.... not sure what the deadline might be for that, anybody know?

Old
12-10-2012, 03:17 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back in the Bigs View Post
not that I think it will happen, but at this point I'm pretty much hoping they don't pull a rabbit out of their butt and get the season started New Years Eve and somehow screw up the availability of some guys for Team Canada in thethey .... not sure what the deadline might be for that, anybody know?
I have been thinking about this a bit as well. I guess the question becomes when does the team head over seas? I would think that if the lockout ends while the team is set and playing that none of the players barring RNH will be recalled to the NHL. However if they reach an agreement in the next week and a half while the players are still in NA then I think things could be interesting.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:06 PM
ps241
2.6% chance

Count me in the camp that now would prefer a clean uninterrupted WJC start to finish. We are going to be getting allot of coverage on TV at a busy time of the year so I won't be bored at all.

If the NHL and PA can salvage 46 or 48 games I would prefer it all happens in January now. If they don't get a deal done so be it.......saves me a boat load of cash.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:14 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Count me in the camp that now would prefer a clean uninterrupted WJC start to finish. We are going to be getting allot of coverage on TV at a busy time of the year so I won't be bored at all.

If the NHL and PA can salvage 46 or 48 games I would prefer it all happens in January now. If they don't get a deal done so be it.......saves me a boat load of cash.
Even though I feel that Mark is NHL ready and could contribute this year, I really hope TNSE allows him to play in the WJC even in the event that the sides reach an agreement in the coming week or so. I don't know if they would be able to recall him after, but if not being back in Barrie wouldn't be so bad either.

Old
12-10-2012, 05:03 PM
sully1410

Well...I did say correct me if I was wrong...

I just have misse that context stuff when I was goin through the reports on TSN.

I totally blame Fehr for getting it to this point. For sure. I've said it before, but if it takes you twenty months to become an expert in hockey...maybe you should look for a different job. A few months I get. Even six months...hell even a year I get. But the entire last season they could have been negotiating twice a month or something. Who cares if hockey is bein played? That's why you hired a non hockey player to do your negotiating.

This is the ******** that happens when you leave **** to the last minute. To some people in this world...NHL hockey is important.

I get that Fehr is a big part of why the deal fell through...but I'm not even sure why either side is holding out on anymore. Would it have been that big of a deal to make Max length 7 years and make it ten if your resigning?

And also from the other POV, would it have been an issue to just take the contract length as it is when you are that close to going back to work?

I just don't understand why they didn't make the ****ing deal when they had a chance too.

Old
12-10-2012, 05:36 PM
surixon

Quote:
Well...I did say correct me if I was wrong...

I just have misse that context stuff when I was goin through the reports on TSN.

I totally blame Fehr for getting it to this point. For sure. I've said it before, but if it takes you twenty months to become an expert in hockey...maybe you should look for a different job. A few months I get. Even six months...hell even a year I get. But the entire last season they could have been negotiating twice a month or something. Who cares if hockey is bein played? That's why you hired a non hockey player to do your negotiating.

This is the ******** that happens when you leave **** to the last minute. To some people in this world...NHL hockey is important.

I get that Fehr is a big part of why the deal fell through...but I'm not even sure why either side is holding out on anymore. Would it have been that big of a deal to make Max length 7 years and make it ten if your resigning?

And also from the other POV, would it have been an issue to just take the contract length as it is when you are that close to going back to work?

I just don't understand why they didn't make the ****ing deal when they had a chance too.
On its own, I think the owners would have been willing to move slightly on some of the issues had the PA shown that it was willing to take some of the owners concerns into account. I said this in the other thread but the biggest problem with the PA's counter is that they missed on all three of the owners condtions (2 by a substantial margin). Had they agreed to one and asked to further negotiate on the other two while not running to the press in an attempt to dupe fans to gain public support the two sides would probably still be meeting. I think the owners would have been prepared to go 7 accross the board with regards to contract length (PA asking for 8 atm) and might have been willing to go to a 10% variance. Another big issue is that everytime the owners move, the PA throws more stuff into their demands. Now its escrow caps and compliance buyouts. At some point you need to make a statement to let the other party know that you wont keep playing their game.

The onus is now squarly on the players to get this deal done, the owners have moved as far as they are going to move on their own. The players will have to come back with something that will entice the moderates on the ownership side to not only comeback to the table but to convince the other owners to give back the concessions that were pulled from the deal. It should be an interesting next few weeks.

Old
12-10-2012, 06:08 PM
sully1410

Quote:
On its own, I think the owners would have been willing to move slightly on some of the issues had the PA shown that it was willing to take some of the owners concerns into account. I said this in the other thread but the biggest problem with the PA's counter is that they missed on all three of the owners condtions (2 by a substantial margin). Had they agreed to one and asked to further negotiate on the other two while not running to the press in an attempt to dupe fans to gain public support the two sides would probably still be meeting. I think the owners would have been prepared to go 7 accross the board with regards to contract length (PA asking for 8 atm) and might have been willing to go to a 10% variance. Another big issue is that everytime the owners move, the PA throws more stuff into their demands. Now its escrow caps and compliance buyouts. At some point you need to make a statement to let the other party know that you wont keep playing their game.

The onus is now squarly on the players to get this deal done, the owners have moved as far as they are going to move on their own. The players will have to come back with something that will entice the moderates on the ownership side to not only comeback to the table but to convince the other owners to give back the concessions that were pulled from the deal. It should be an interesting next few weeks.
I agree. Overall, I feel like the owners have given enough. The players really need to think very hard about how badly they want to play hockey this year. Right now, I don't care.

To me it seems like the owners have done all the moving while all the players did was cry about what was fair and how badly they got bent over the last time. And posturing to the press...which I always thought they should just shut the **** up and let the guy they hired handle it.

I just think this is so trivial that they should be able to figure it out...but they won't I don't think. Bunch of bag lickers.

Old
12-10-2012, 06:36 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

I was listening to the NHL Channel on Sirius XM this morning.

The commentator made a very good point.

He feels that the deal is done.

However, Donald Fehr continues to stall and taunt the NHL, the sponsers and the fans in hopes of damaging the product.

He is doing this in preparation for the next lockout.

Basically, Fehr wants to do enough damage so that the NHL will choose not to lockout the players when the next CBA is negotiated.

He said that is why there is labour peace in baseball, the owners are afraid of the players union.

Old
12-10-2012, 07:02 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

Quote:
Not to mention they increased makewhole by 90 million and agreed to fix the PA's pensions.
That 90 million is for the pensions, or at least part of it. They're paying pensions with the players money.

Old
12-10-2012, 07:24 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
That 90 million is for the pensions, or at least part of it. They're paying pensions with the players money.
That's typically how pensions work

Old
12-10-2012, 07:25 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
Don't drink the Fehr Koolaide, If the owners are giving an additional amount of money for pensions then it is not the players money that is primarily funding them. But anyways the players receive a defined benefit pension so even if some of a players pay cheque is deducted for pension purposes the league is on the hook if the pension is underfunded. The players should be happy they still have a defined benefit pension plan as many companies are trying to move away from them as they are exceptionally costly.

Closed Thread