HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

More Luongo Talk

Closed Thread

Old
12-08-2012, 08:47 PM
Ho Borvat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
So NHL contracts can and are insured that are longer than 7 years? Love to see this.
Feel free to provide me with a link saying that deals longer than 7 years arent covered.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:49 PM
DougGilmour93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
See, my scenario is based on realistic possibility, whereas yours is reaching to extremes. How long as the league clung to Phoenix despite the catastrophe that experiment has been? Odds are incredibly remote any team will be contracted within the duration of Lu's contract.

However, I'll go you one better. What if Lu continues to play like Kipper, Brodeur, Khabibulin, Thomas and Roloson?

We will. What's another President's Trophy to go with the matching set? We can also move Schneider if worse comes to worse. So yeah, I think we're good.
The reason why the are so vested in PHX is because the NHL owns part of them. If PHX folds, the NHL would lose the money they invested.

As of now I know of PHX, Columbus, Florida, Nashville, New Jersey, and Tampa Bay as teams that have struggled financially as of late. Who's to say that one if not more of them face the possibility of collapsing? I surely couldn't say nor predict. I guess it's a possibility.

Old
12-08-2012, 09:00 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kack zassian View Post
Feel free to provide me with a link saying that deals longer than 7 years arent covered.
Too lazy to look it up I see.
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/D...ven-Years.aspx

Old
12-08-2012, 09:04 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Ok well I believe you are misinterpreting it.

That is what I looked up when I said it covers seven years of the contract.

Is there a particular part that says players with deals longer than 7 years arent covered?

Because I read that it covers 7 years, and anything beyond that isnt covered.
NOT that 7+ year deals aren't covered.

Old
12-08-2012, 09:23 PM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Ok...just got home from the Marlies game (4-3 win) and two things i know, i hope Burke doesn't consider moving Gardiner...(2 goals on the PP) and our goaltending is shakey...gave up 2 he should have had and made a 4-0 game alot closer than it should have been. Also, Kadri had a solid game.

Old
12-08-2012, 09:30 PM
racerjoe

Is it safe to come back here yet?

It's a little bit funny how we seem to work out deals both sides can live with

Kadri
Finn
Frattin
Bozak

I think is what it was but it was a few pages back. Then all the haters come back... The ones who don't understand his contract, and think losing for 8 plus years is good for a hockey team, and easy to turn around.

Old
12-08-2012, 09:31 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kack zassian View Post
Ok well I believe you are misinterpreting it.

That is what I looked up when I said it covers seven years of the contract.

Is there a particular part that says players with deals longer than 7 years arent covered?

Because I read that it covers 7 years, and anything beyond that isnt covered. NOT that 7+ year deals aren't covered.
Re-read my posts. That is exactly what i said,seems that Cannuck fans seem to like to omit from these conversations.

Old
12-08-2012, 09:31 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougGilmour93 View Post
Now we're talking. We'll trade for 5 years of service of Luongo. After which we deal him back to Vancouver for some sort or compensation.

Luongo

for

Bozak + Kadri + Ashton + Franson + 1st in 2014
Would you swap Ashton with Blacker? Both have similar value. If so this is a good deal for both sides.

Old
12-08-2012, 09:32 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerjoe View Post

Kadri
Finn
Frattin
Bozak

I think is what it was but it was a few pages back. Then all the haters come back... The ones who don't understand his contract, and think losing for 8 plus years is good for a hockey team, and easy to turn around.
Bit iffy on mostly a future's deal but I certainly wouldn't mind that. We do need to address the prospect pool.

Old
12-08-2012, 09:35 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
To be honest I don't like too much deals with more than 3 players coming back. We're close enough to the contract limit as it is, imo.

Old
12-08-2012, 09:36 PM
DougGilmour93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
Would you swap Ashton with Blacker? Both have similar value. If so this is a good deal for both sides.
I would, as long as it was understood that in 5 years we trade Luongo BACK. Obviously, I'm uncertain of the compensation. Most likely in the form of draft picks.

Bozak + Kadri + Blacker + Franson + 1st in 2014

for

5 yrs of Luongo.

Old
12-08-2012, 09:36 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Re-read my posts. That is exactly what i said,seems that Cannuck fans seem to like to omit from these conversations.
So 5/12 years are uninsured years, and 4/5 of those years are retirement/reduced salary years...

Hes insured for every year he makes 6.7 million (minus 1).

Old
12-08-2012, 09:39 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Actually, you said

Quote:
So NHL contracts can and are insured that are longer than 7 years? Love to see this.

Old
12-08-2012, 09:39 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
I would, as long as it was understood that in 5 years we trade Luongo BACK. Obviously, I'm uncertain of the compensation. Most likely in the form of draft picks.

for

5 yrs of Luongo.

If you actually had a way to know for sure that you'd only have Luongo for 5 years before trading him back to us, you'd be looking at Gardiner+, easily.

Old
12-08-2012, 09:40 PM
Numbers

Quote:

for

5 yrs of Luongo.
Apparently I missed something here, trade back? This idea is not even possible. Luongo would never agree, who can guarantee both Gillis and Burke will be GM of there respected teams by then. Im sorry but this is worst trade clause I have ever heard. This is becoming more and more childish.

Old
The Saurus

Quote:

Kadri
Finn
Frattin
Bozak

. That kind of deal is never going to happen. Mike Gillis would be looking for that horseshoe up his rear end if he managed to get that kind of package out of Burke & Nonis for Roberto.

Show me a deal Brian Burke has made since coming to Toronto in which he has shipped out youth with good potential like the players you've listed above for an aging veteran.

You won't find one because it has never happened and the Leafs aren't in a position to do such a thing now either. Heck, he wouldn't let go of Jake Gardiner for Rick Nash, and you think he's going to give up a boatload of potential for Roberto? Ain't happenin' bro.

Old
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
To be honest I don't like too much deals with more than 3 players coming back. We're close enough to the contract limit as it is, imo.
I'd prefer to get better but less players. We have Jensen and Kassian itching to crack the roster at this point. Of course, then we get into the "no value" debates.

Old
12-08-2012, 09:43 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

Quote:
Apparently I missed something here, trade back? This idea is not even possible. Luongo would never agree, who can guarantee both Gillis and Burke will be GM of there respected teams by then. Im sorry but this is worst trade clause I have ever heard. This is becoming more and more childish.
He was mocking an earlier post from me because I said cap floor teams would find Lu's contract enticing if he didn't retire around 39-40. So this is a "Vancouver get the 'crappy' contract back! See how they like it!" post.

Old
12-08-2012, 09:49 PM
DougGilmour93

Quote:
You agreed to it earlier? You must have missed that caveat.

If we're stuck with him for the duration fo the contract the best I do is...

Bozak + Kadri + Blacker + 2nd

Old
12-08-2012, 09:51 PM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:

See this to me is doable.

Old
12-08-2012, 09:54 PM
Numbers

Quote:

When did I agree? If I did I misunderstood. Leaf fans have already made an agreement with me earlier close to this. No reason to take less now.

Bozak
Kadri
Colborne
Blacker

Not sure why you wouldn't agree to this this, value is very close, and who knows you might get another Finn by keeping that 2nd.

Old
12-08-2012, 09:56 PM
dubey
The Best (per IIHF)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_2010 View Post
value is close, maybe add a third round pick from the leafs.
We just need to trade for Blake Kessel first and we'll have a deal

Old
12-08-2012, 10:01 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

From what I can gather, it seems to me like:

Kessel
Grabovski
Phaneuf
Rielly

Are completely untouchable. Understandable.

But then you have the next tier, of

Lupul
Kulemin
JVR
Finn
2013 1st
Gardiner

type pieces, and imho none of these guys should be untouchable. Toronto has an abundance of wingers and left-side defensemen, and if your trading for a player who instantly becomes your MVP, having that many untouchables is ridiculous.(I'm not saying they all have the same value, simply in terms of current importance to the team)

Out of curiousity, if Toronto was unwilling to come to contract terms with Lupul, would you be willing to include him as a piece?

Old
12-08-2012, 10:09 PM
Kegs

Quote:

Kadri
Finn
Frattin
Bozak

if i was vancouver id make this trade but not if i was toronto... from a non biased point of view... i know kadri takes a lot of heat but i think he will be a good nhl player.

1st issue. isnt this the majority of the leafs centres?

2nd issue. luongo is getting a bit old.

3rd issue. luongo is clearly being moved because he doesnt want to be a backup goalie. this is known by every gm in the league. this lowers his value im pretty sure. esp with luongos no trade clause. he actually has full controll over where he lands... unless he doesnt have this clause?

Old
12-08-2012, 10:10 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
From what I can gather, it seems to me like:

Kessel
Grabovski
Phaneuf
Rielly

Are completely untouchable. Understandable.

But then you have the next tier, of

Lupul
Kulemin
JVR
Finn
2013 1st
Gardiner

type pieces, and imho none of these guys should be untouchable. Toronto has an abundance of wingers and left-side defensemen, and if your trading for a player who instantly becomes your MVP, having that many untouchables is ridiculous.(I'm not saying they all have the same value, simply in terms of current importance to the team)

Out of curiousity, if Toronto was unwilling to come to contract terms with Lupul, would you be willing to include him as a piece?
You can add them to the top list.

Also Lupul would be a tough deal as well. Taking 65 points(potentially) could be enough of a subtraction that would make bringing in another goalie(Luongo or whoever) be a counter productive move.

Closed Thread