HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Star Tribune looks at the different impacts of the lockout

Old
12-08-2012, 09:19 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
Star Tribune looks at the different impacts of the lockout

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/182639951.html

Referees. No pay with no games. (But they can get a loan from league against future earnings.) Non-US refs living in US have work visas that only allow them to officiate, so they're waiting. US refs have the option of finding a job.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/182639141.html

Restaurants laying off workers (32 of 48 at one establishment who gets ~50% of their revenue from Wild games).

Quote:
"They don't understand, you're not just affecting your bottom line," Kasel said. "The trickle-down effect of the hundreds of thousands of people that are being killed by this, financially, is astronomical."

Added Geisen: "The highest levels of government should get involved because they're impacting the national economy. It goes so deep."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/182639981.html

Fans can't stand the sight of ice. Charities even hit.

Quote:
Money has dried up for Defending the Blue Line, which provides equipment for military kids: "We have more gear than we'd ever know what to do with, and we don't have money to ship it."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/182640041.html

Without games, the Wild staff "just" work in an office. Sponsor/corporate sales guys no only have had their salaries cut, but also have lost their commissions.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 09:23 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Ya, it does "go deep", and a whole lot of people are getting creamed, wiped out. Just a matter of
time before politico's on both sides of the border start weighing in, demanding Binding Arbitration.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 09:38 PM
ScottyBowman

Well I don't feel sorry for restaurants. If you have good food, people will go no matter what.

ScottyBowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 10:30 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyBowman View Post
Well I don't feel sorry for restaurants. If you have good food, people will go no matter what.
omg. Not true at all. It's all about who you cater to. If a restaurant caters to a specific crowd, and that crowd isn't there 2-4 nights a week... then they're going to experience some massive cash flow issues. It doesn't matter how good their burgers, fries and nachos are.

I try very hard to rarely eat out. Sometimes it happens, but for the most part I pack a lunch. However when I'm at work late, or have to go somewhere directly after work... I generally eat out. It's not a matter of how good the food is in any given location (the bar I go to regularly is a dive - but my friends and I love it there). It's the convenience of that location with what else you have going on that typically drives decisions.

Ate at a high end restaurant in Toronto when I was there for a Leafs game. Didn't really care where we ate, but that was a close convenient place, and we didn't have a lot of time to find another place.

"Itís not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, itís as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 10:51 PM
atomic

well if people aren't spending money on one thing they are spending on something else. perhaps other entertainment options are doing better.

atomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 11:03 PM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic View Post
well if people aren't spending money on one thing they are spending on something else. perhaps other entertainment options are doing better.
I was wondering this the other day. I know I've spent money on different entertainment options, whereas the last few years that money likely would have gone to attending NHL games.

I bought season tickets to university hockey (Buckeyes) here in Columbus. Been to a couple of concerts when I hadn't been to one in a long time. Started playing hockey in an adult league again and decided to coach my kids teams (I probably would have done both of these things if there was no lockout, but maybe not to the same level). Joined a once-a-month bowling league. Hell, I even took the family to the Nutcracker tonight - first time I've ever been to that or any kind of ballet.

Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 07:06 AM
barneyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic View Post
Yep, reallocation. It's the same thing with the lockout as with any city that loses a team (and the opposite of a city getting a team). A few people and businesses are heavily impacted (restaurant workers and other team-related stuff) while a lot of other entertainment businesses see marginal increases.

Last edited by barneyg: 12-09-2012 at 09:39 AM. Reason: edit: part made no sense
barneyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 07:32 AM
Benders Lindyhop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyBowman View Post
Might be true in some places. I know for me, I would go out to one of the nearby restaurants or sports bars maybe 2-3 times a week either before or after a game. Without hockey? No reason for me to drive 20 miles just to hit a restaurant when there is literally another option on every corner between home and the arena. And I'm fairly sure I'm the rule not the exception because very few people live in downtown Tampa.

Already one sports bar near the Forum has closed and a couple of others are really getting pinched hard.

Benders Lindyhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 10:44 AM
Swarez

To me they are looking at it the wrong way.

I split season tickets with my dad/brother for the Leafs.

I am not paying for leafs tickets (although they did take payments), I am not really spending any less of my income, I am just spending it in different ways. I may not go to bar/restaurant near the ACC, but the money is still being spent.
-More at the mall and just spent more than I normally would on a Vacation. One person's loss is another's gain.

If the paper wanted to actually do some work, go survey STH to see what they are doing with there money, saving, investing, spending on other teams, having a bigger x-mas, travel etc. Me and my bro are going to spend the money regardless, my dad isn't but he is older and retired.

Swarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 10:52 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Bottom Line:
If you start a business or take a job in a business that is based on the NHL playing games ... you literally should "Bank on" a lockout it.

This league has a horrible track record of burning everyone who counts on it.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote