HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: ...Reticulating Splines...

Closed Thread

Old
12-06-2012, 11:00 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
What game did you play? The number of good games on Wii isn't great, but there are some awesome games available.
On my fiancee's Wii I just played some Mario Party game....I dunno which one. As I said, I thought was lame and have only played on a Wii that one time. I did buy her New Super Mario Bros for the Wii a few months back though but she hasn't got around to playing it yet.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:35 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Mario Party holds a special place in hell for me.

The shift to multiplayer and then online games was inevitable...but it was one I hated and is one of the major reasons why I ceased being a 'hardcore gamer' so long ago. Mario Party was the first real multiplayer-only game of any fanfare.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
12-06-2012, 11:53 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

vCash: 500
I have literally punched someone in the face over Mario Party. That game was brutal. Many controllers have been broken because of that game.

Old
12-07-2012, 04:45 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Yeah within 5 minutes as I said I thought it was ****ing stupid. Both the Wii and Mario Party.

I'll stick to any GTA game, Red Dead Redemption, or Sleeping Dogs on my PS3.

Old
12-07-2012, 04:52 AM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

Red Dead was one of few games to really draw me in over the past few years.

I'm starting to return to gaming as a way of winding down after work, so we'll see if anything changes from me, but that total devotion to a game has been more of a once-a-year phenomenon for the past decade than the continual state of mind it was before. Dishonored this year, Skyrim last year, Red Dead before that, the Bioshocks before that...

Next year already has two killer apps before Spring for me...I'm just hopeful both do well to their series names...and in the case of SimCity, I hope my computer can actually run the damn thing.

Old
12-07-2012, 07:20 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Yeah Red Dead is awesome. I've 100% completed it three times.

Yeah I don't game as much either. Truthfully very few games nowadays pique my interest. If it wasn't for Grand Theft Auto 5 coming out next year, I'd have no games to really look forward to. Although I am enjoying Sleeping Dogs alot. Thankfully I was smart and paid $30 for it instead of $60 since I already knew it's a short game.

Old
12-07-2012, 07:30 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
Yeah within 5 minutes as I said I thought it was ****ing stupid. Both the Wii and Mario Party.

I'll stick to any GTA game, Red Dead Redemption, or Sleeping Dogs on my PS3.
mario party is barely a video game. its basically a video board game with some mini games. its like playing Battle Chess for playstation and saying the system isn't worth playing. Though if you're looking for games similar to GTA you won't find much on Wii I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
I miss JRPGs. That's a genre that's just about dead that probably isn't coming back. I've found myself re-playing those more than anything lately, thanks largely to stuff like PSN. I miss games like Suikoden, Grandia, Lunar, and Final Fantasy VII.

Big, if you want a good JRPG get The Last Story for Wii. Xenoblade Chronicles is also a good one. Fire Emblem too, and it should be dirt cheap at this point. I'd put those right there with the best RPGs (which puts them in my personal best games discussion) of the PS3/XBox360/Wii generation. Here's a list of some others that you may have missed because while these games aren't dead, they also aren't being advertised like the big studio games coming out.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featur...lay-jrpgs.aspx

Last edited by Ogrezilla: 12-07-2012 at 07:35 AM.
Old
12-07-2012, 11:56 AM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Red Dead was one of few games to really draw me in over the past few years.
Quote:
Red Dead was a game i thoroughly enjoyed. especially the hunting challenges. and that's coming from someone who has previously beat only one game in his life - Super Mario World.

Old
12-07-2012, 01:12 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

I just saw a Sonics greatest sega games, xbox game at the store the other day. Streets of rage, golden axe, all the Sonics, etc.

Says it has 40 games, I may buy it. I was a huge golden axe fan when I was 10 or so haha.

Old
12-07-2012, 01:33 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
Red Dead was a game i thoroughly enjoyed. especially the hunting challenges. and that's coming from someone who has previously beat only one game in his life - Super Mario World.
Ironically enough I'm doing the hunting challenges again right now. A buddy of mine is trying to 100% the game for the 360 so I've been helping him. We're about 93% done. The treasure hunting missions are so tedious IMO.

Old
12-07-2012, 02:29 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Ironically enough I'm doing the hunting challenges again right now. A buddy of mine is trying to 100% the game for the 360 so I've been helping him. We're about 93% done. The treasure hunting missions are so tedious IMO.
agreed about the treasure hunting. i would have liked at least some kind of background story about who these generals (at least i presume they were generals) were and why they buried their gold out west.

the killing-a-cougar-using-a-stick-of-dynamite challenge was pretty fun. the Sasquatch mission on the other hand was quite disheartening.

Old
12-07-2012, 09:48 PM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Quote:

Yeah I don't game as much either. Truthfully very few games nowadays pique my interest. If it wasn't for Grand Theft Auto 5 coming out next year, I'd have no games to really look forward to.
That's the only reason I bought my PS3: I heard it was coming out but didn't realize it wasn't for another year+ I picked up a few games here and there, like the last Call Of Duty and this year's NHL13. I haven't put any significant time on either one: finished the storyline on CoD and got my player ranked up to 30-something online (I know.....ooooohhhhhhhhh!!) and I have yet to complete a season on NHL.

Old
12-08-2012, 12:03 AM
invictus

After years of being a Levi's guy, I bought a pair of Lee jeans....I like them so far.

Yes, I know I am not stylish.

Old
12-08-2012, 12:24 AM
Mr. T

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
After years of being a Levi's guy, I bought a pair of Lee jeans....I like them so far.

Yes, I know I am not stylish.
This dude at work took 'casual Friday' a bit too far today. He has the physique of Dr. Robotnik and decided to wear what would be considered skinny jeans on Justin Bieber. That **** left nothing to the imagination. I sat in an hour long meeting with this guy and me and the lady sitting to my left both saw it (which will never be unseen) and we giggled like school children for about 15 straight minutes. What the **** is wrong with people?

Old
12-08-2012, 04:07 AM
Dylonus

I have Mario Party 8 and 9 for Wii... That game is definitely awesome. Not sure why people had so much trouble with it; it's really not hard at all

Old
12-08-2012, 08:49 AM
Mario_is_BACK!!
ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!

Send a message via AIM to Mario_is_BACK!! Send a message via MSN to Mario_is_BACK!!
I finally bought a PS3. I love Red Dead Redemption. What a lush and beautiful game visually and it's just fun to play. Trying to get into Call of Duty but it's difficult. Love Arkham Asylum. Madden is mindless fun but NHL13 is overly frustrating with the controller layout. Almost pointless in how tough it is. I'm really not a fan.

Old
12-08-2012, 09:41 AM
BrunoPuntzJones
Biscuit Scorer

Has anyone else played Borderlands 2? I picked it up a few weeks ago, played a few hours, and haven't touched it since. It feels pretty bland and I'm considering taking it back already.

Nerds seem to love it but that's a community that is purely based on dog whistles and status consumption over quality.

Old
12-08-2012, 11:37 AM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

i had a dream within in a dream - in my dream i went to bed (after doing a whole mess of stuff) then had a dream from which i woke up (into the first dream world).

wild.

of course as Built to Spill say:

no one wants to hear
what you dreamt about unless you dreamt about them
don't let that stop you
tell them anyway

Last edited by Crafton: 12-08-2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old
12-08-2012, 12:33 PM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. T View Post
This dude at work took 'casual Friday' a bit too far today. He has the physique of Dr. Robotnik and decided to wear what would be considered skinny jeans on Justin Bieber. That **** left nothing to the imagination. I sat in an hour long meeting with this guy and me and the lady sitting to my left both saw it (which will never be unseen) and we giggled like school children for about 15 straight minutes. What the **** is wrong with people?
Well, I bought a pair of carpenter jeans. So, everything is still left to the imagination

Old
12-08-2012, 12:47 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

Old
12-08-2012, 01:00 PM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

I have so many Wii games I still need to complete.

Old
12-08-2012, 05:54 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOTO View Post
Has anyone else played Borderlands 2? I picked it up a few weeks ago, played a few hours, and haven't touched it since. It feels pretty bland and I'm considering taking it back already.

Nerds seem to love it but that's a community that is purely based on dog whistles and status consumption over quality.
Borderlands 2 is awesome. Though if you are playing it single player than I get why you would be bored with it.

PS: Its one of the best selling games of the year. It isn't just popular with nerds.

Last edited by Ogrezilla: 12-08-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old
12-08-2012, 06:19 PM
Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylonus View Post
I have Mario Party 8 and 9 for Wii... That game is definitely awesome. Not sure why people had so much trouble with it; it's really not hard at all
Mario Party is awesome to play with your friends if everyone understands the game is complete nonsense.

Old
12-08-2012, 06:23 PM
Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Borderlands 2 is awesome. Though if you are playing it single player than I get why you would be bored with it.

PS: Its one of the best selling games of the year. It isn't just popular with nerds.
Although the game is a lot tougher on your own, yeah, you need to co-op with friends to enjoy it to the fullest.

Old
12-08-2012, 09:56 PM
BrunoPuntzJones
Biscuit Scorer

I generally don't do multiplayer unless people are in the room with me. When I do play online it's always with the same friend and we have very few games in common. So basically if a game isn't good for single player, it's not good for me. I hate the trend of moving away from single player and especially in room multiplayer. I went ahead and sold it before those responses, and they just reinforce that I made the right decision. For me it was exactly like any open world FPS this generation. Totally bland gameplay-wise. Nice visual style though. Reminded me of a darker Valkyria Chronicle.

Also, I think nerds are mainstream now. Something can move tons of units while appealing mostly to that culture, especially when they're driving the medium, as in the case of video games.

All the guys at Gamestop were on my case about selling it, too. The modern nerd is the modern bully, the enforcer of an pseudo-alternative monoculture!

Closed Thread