HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Jeremy Jacobs

Closed Thread

Old
12-08-2012, 11:21 PM
Lost Horizons
Everybody Wants Some

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Yeah and ownership covers it. Except when Jeremy Jacobs is the owner.

Blah, blah, blah. 1967'.. Lazy argument. Jacobs and the Bruins are the bad guys here. Live with it.
Actually no they don't. If Jacobs paid the tax on the rings it counts as a gift under the law then the people receiving the rings get taxed on the gift

Old
12-08-2012, 11:22 PM
colchar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
Maybe he could be like those wonderful Leafs owners who turned tail and ran
And Jets owners, and Penguins owners. Why only mention the Leafs?

Old
12-08-2012, 11:23 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Fun fact:

In the 37 years Jacobs has owned the team the B's have missed the playoffs 5 times

The Leafs haven't made the playoffs in the past 7 years
The Bruins have clearly been a more successful team in that time. There's no denying it.

But bringing up the Leafs pathetic history doesn't mask the fact Jacobs and the Bruins are a big reason there's no hockey.

What other Leaf facts can you bring up to avoid this subject?

Old
12-08-2012, 11:24 PM
GeeoffBrown

Remember Bettman said there were owners that were upset at how much the NHL was giving up. Owners that were not even there negotiating with players....

You gotta think these guys who are obviously more hardline than Jacobs and are not working anywhere near as hard as Jacobs on getting a deal done are far more harmful to the process.

Old
Lost Horizons
Everybody Wants Some

Quote:
I haven't seen this reported anywhere.

Besides, the negotiating was over once Fehr asked for more. Tanenbaum was there for that.
Not paying attention i see then:
https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/sta...79198029365248
Quote:
Toronto's Larry Tannenbaum has left New York City and will not be participating in the days CBA talks.

Old
RogerRoeper*

Let's hope Karma comes back to haunt Jacobs. What a pathetic, pathetic owner.

Old
12-08-2012, 11:25 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
It was over by Wednesday. Did you not get that?

Old
12-08-2012, 11:26 PM
Lost Horizons
Everybody Wants Some

Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
And Jets owners, and Penguins owners. Why only mention the Leafs?
The JEts owner ran. The Pens owner stayed. Why the leafs? RogerRoeper is one of your own.

Old
12-08-2012, 11:26 PM
Lost Horizons
Everybody Wants Some

Quote:
It was over by Wednesday. Did you not get that?
Negotiations still continued on Thursday and Tannenbaum left midway through the day. Jacobs stayed.

Old
12-08-2012, 11:29 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Negotiations still continued on Thursday and Tannenbaum left midway through the day. Jacobs stayed.
The incident with Fehr asking for more happened on Wednesday. It was over the day before Tanenbaum left.

To claim Tanenbaum left with his tail between his legs is quite an odd comment. Tananbaum helped get the meeting together to begin with.

Old
12-08-2012, 11:34 PM
Lost Horizons
Everybody Wants Some

Quote:
The incident with Fehr asking for more happened on Wednesday. It was over the day before Tanenbaum left.

To claim Tanenbaum left with his tail between his legs is quite an odd comment. Tananbaum helped get the meeting together to begin with.
Negotiations continued all day Thursday. If he was so keen on making a deal he would have stayed to the end like Jacobs

Old
12-08-2012, 11:35 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Negotiations continued all day Thursday. If he was so keen on making a deal he would have stayed to the end like Jacobs
Obviously, Tanenbaum was correct. There was no chance of a deal.

Old
12-08-2012, 11:37 PM
Choralone

vCash: 100
Quote:
Actually no they don't. If Jacobs paid the tax on the rings it counts as a gift under the law then the people receiving the rings get taxed on the gift
No. Gifts are taxed on the giver, not the receiver, though there's a $13,000 exemption per year, per receiver. It's to prevent people from trying to get around the inheritance (death) tax by gifting away the majority of their estate before they die.

Old
12-08-2012, 11:37 PM
Lost Horizons
Everybody Wants Some

Quote:
Obviously, Tanenbaum was correct. There was no chance of a deal.
A person who wants a deal stays until the bitter end and is the last one out the door. He left early.

Old
12-08-2012, 11:38 PM
Lost Horizons
Everybody Wants Some

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choralone View Post
No. Gifts are taxed on the giver, not the receiver, though there's a $13,000 exemption per year, per receiver. It's to prevent people from trying to get around the inheritance (death) tax by gifting away the majority of their estate before they die.
Not in Mass. One of the posters who deals with this stuff laid it out for everyone. Let me see if I can find it.

Old
12-08-2012, 11:38 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
A person who wants a deal stays until the bitter end and is the last one out the door. He left early.
I would have left too.

The Leafs do more than any team in the NHL from a business standpoint. There ownership wants a deal done. Jocobs wants the best deal for himself.

Old
12-08-2012, 11:40 PM
RogerRoeper*

CFL teams pay for the taxes on the championship teams. Yes, the CFL.

Old
12-08-2012, 11:41 PM
RogerRoeper*

BTW, for Bruins fans to claim I'm "Biased" and a troll for pointing out how cheap Jacobs is, have you seen my comments on former Leafs owner Harold Ballard? Your argument is toast.

Ballard was cheaper and a worse human being than Jacobs and I rip into him every chance I get.

Old
12-08-2012, 11:43 PM
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Is there a worse owner in this CBA mess than Jacobs? This guy is such an unbelievable cheapskate. He is a big reason there is no hockey right now.
Spending hand over fist, giving long-term deal and no-movements does what exactly, beside ensuring that said players become complacent and only put in half-efforts?
For someone cheap, he's let Chiarelli assemble a winning core with a potential future Hockey Hall of Fame goaltender (Thomas) and defenseman (Chara), turned a perceived downard asset (Kessel, who has worked out great for you guys by the way) into a bounty and so on.

The Bruins haven't missed playoffs since when, a bit iin the 80s/90s?
I WISH my owner was that cheap and that awful.
Jacobs is allowed to keep his house as he sees fit; he's allowed to dislike escalating salaries and he's allowed to steer his ship and offer his opinion on the league.

He is ONE voice in the process, remember?

Old
12-08-2012, 11:45 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Quote:
BTW, for Bruins fans to claim I'm "Biased" and a troll for pointing out how cheap Jacobs is, have you seen my comments on former Leafs owner Harold Ballard? Your argument is toast.

Ballard was cheaper and a worse human being than Jacobs and I rip into him every chance I get.
Yes, because everyone knows Hitler was evil. I guess that just proves everyone who believes that sentiment is a peace loving, objective sprite.

Old
12-08-2012, 11:45 PM
BruinsNeedaRussian

vCash: 1340
Quote:
Considering you constantly mention that the Bruins were too cheap to resign Kessel. Yes, yes you are biased.

But, I hate that Jacobs is leading this lockout, he is one of the last guys who should complain about the present. Locking out the players was bound to happen with Fehr on the other end, but Jacobs owns a team doing great financially who also just happened to resign all its players.

Old
12-08-2012, 11:46 PM
Lost Horizons
Everybody Wants Some

Quote:

Nothing says cheap like spending up to and over the cap buying out players like Murry, Schaefer etc

Old
12-08-2012, 11:47 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsNeedaRussian View Post
Considering you constantly mention that the Bruins were too cheap to resign Kessel. Yes, yes you are biased.

But, I hate that Jacobs is leading this lockout, he is one of the last guys who should complain about the present. Locking out the players was bound to happen with Fehr on the other end, but Jacobs owns a team doing great financially who also just happened to resign all its players.
I've never really said that. I have stated they wanted to make a "Marc Savard Cap" for forwards like they did with Ray Bourque and Kessel was being lowballed.

Sorry, not biased at all.

Old
12-08-2012, 11:48 PM
Lost Horizons
Everybody Wants Some

Regarding the tax on the rings. It's the first post:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...283219&page=40
Quote:
I have no idea re the payment plans. Gift tax is not actually my thing (corporate tax is), I just happened to be working on a very similar issue today when this story reared its head.

What I failed to realize initially is that gifts made to employees are in fact includible in the employees' gross income for income tax purposes, as an employer is deemed to not give gifts out of "detached and disinterested generosity." So now the whole story makes sense.

Without taking the preceding into account, it wouldn't make sense that employees would have footed any tax bill if the rings were gifted, as it would have fallen on Jacobs to pay the gift tax. However, this clearly falls under the rule above from IRC Section 102(c) and thus the employees do in fact have taxable income equal to the value of the rings.

However, that the employees were forced to foot the tax bill is not a function of Jacobs being a miserable *******, but of U.S. federal tax law. So, in sum, don't jump on Jacobs for this one. Your ire is misplaced.

Old
12-08-2012, 11:59 PM
Lost Horizons
Everybody Wants Some

Was going to post this in response to another post so here it is:
https://twitter.com/brianlawton9/sta...18680571703296
https://twitter.com/brianlawton9/sta...17859633180672
Quote:

Brian Lawton ‏@brianlawton9
Shocking Update #CBA meetings. The owner said to have been the most helpful to players in the meetings. Not who most have assumed! (cont.)

Yes Ron Burkle has been a voice of reason but the answer is and most people won't believe it but it is true.......JEREMY JACOBS

Closed Thread