HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

News from Around the League - Part XXXV - I'll see you in court!

Closed Thread

Old
12-08-2012, 01:59 AM
HeliDevil
Legendary

vCash: 500
I have pretty much always been on the leagues side. Now I am more than ever. True colors are emerging, and the PA does not look so bright at this moment.

Old
12-08-2012, 02:37 AM
MadDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
They've come very far from the original offer while the PA hasn't budged.
The league's first offer was so utterly asinine that any movement they made was going to look significant.

Old
12-08-2012, 06:32 AM
NJDevilsZG
I'll drive team bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Bob McKenzie just tweeted that there are 89 players on 5 year contracts. Of those 89, over half are on 6-7 yr deals retained by the original team.

That brings us to around 40 players that this 5 year clause effects. If you eliminate the would-be-illegal backdiving contracts, it would be even fewer.

If the last CBA had this v5 year contract limit (7 yr for retaining FA's), only appoximately 30 players would be effected out of around 700 players. That's 4% of the league.

And that's a huge ****ing joke. Unacceptable that this is the dealbreaker.
When did Lou ever give anyone a contract that was not in the realm of what league wants now. Except the BS they all did for Kovy. And when was it exactly that we were bottom feeders that have low paid but quality high picked youngsters.
And we were in PO every single year. And boys generaly wanted to be here and to stay here.
Lou made all that happen without CBA forcing him. And now we go through this crap again, just cause greedy smucks and derranged GMs can't get off their horses.
No wonder USA finance and realestate people pushed world into crisis twice so far. That feel of entitlement is just soo easy to get infected with.

Old
12-08-2012, 09:03 AM
NJDevs26
Status quo

lol TG

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice
When a proposal is actually good enough to end the lockout, you'll see both sides up there together saying it together, not just one.

Old
12-08-2012, 09:48 AM
Wingman77
Glory Days

If this lockout goes the full season, the draft could not be held in a better location in terms of fans despising Bettman and Daly especially within the past few years

They will get destroyed when they go on stage/to the podium

Old
12-08-2012, 09:52 AM
Ilkka Pikachu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDevil View Post
The league's first offer was so utterly asinine that any movement they made was going to look significant.

It needed to be, because with a 43% offer the midpoint between the two sides is, shockingly, 50/50.

Do you really think that Fehr would settle for 50/50 if the NHL's first offer was something more reasonable like 46 or 47%?

Also, JR and Walsh twitterfighting.

Quote:
Jeremy Roenick ‏@Jeremy_Roenick
@walsha how many goals did u score again allen?? How many games?? U sound like a mad wannabe

Allan Walsh ‏@walsha
How many games did Gary Bettman play ? How much is his game used jersey worth? @Jeremy_Roenick
Allan he didn't even ****ing mention Bettman.

Last edited by Ilkka Pikachu: 12-08-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old
12-08-2012, 10:54 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
The guys on HNIC even made reference to John Collins (the NHL's COO who is rumored to be angry enough to resign) as the 'Damocles' that hangs over Bettman's head.
Well, that's interesting. I hadn't heard about that, wonder what that's about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDevil View Post
Pretty much. And the players have made some concessions. They have dropped their demands on HRR, and accepted some compromise on limiting contract length. Both sides could definitely go farther.

Old
12-08-2012, 11:17 AM
goalvalchuk17

If there's a season or not I will proudly go to the draft and boo the hell out of bettman.

Old
12-08-2012, 12:28 PM
None Shall Pass
Got Carter

I miss hockey

Old
12-08-2012, 12:38 PM
kiwidevil

The thing is, what has Fehr got to lose? He is paid to dig in his heels until the league folds.

This will end when the players decide to sign in spite of Fehr.

Old
12-08-2012, 01:01 PM
MachoDiablo

I spent a little bit reading up more on why Bettman threw his hissy fit the other night, and my disgust towards the owners just went up tenfold.

Bettman, owners, all of you...you've already won. You wanted limits on years for contracts? You got them. Wanted the 50/50 HRR split? You got that, too. Chance to buy out a bad contract without it counting against the cap? Looks like you're getting that.

But Fehr comes out and says "we feel pretty close", so Gary has to come out and publicly pout and wet himself? Good Lord.

It makes me feel dirty knowing I pay money into a league that pays these idiots. Not like it'd be perfect, but I'd give anything for a new WHA to pop up somewhere, the NHL has truly become the worst.

Old
12-08-2012, 01:13 PM
Devils731

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachoDiablo View Post
But Fehr comes out and says "we feel pretty close", so Gary has to come out and publicly pout and wet himself? Good Lord.
You may feel like that was a bad moment for Bettman, but I think most people felt it was a horrible moment for Fehr. It may be the moment that enough of the rank and file PA guys decide it's time to start speaking out against Fehr, we're seeing more and more anonymous player sources questioning Fehr, and some saying they may start to attach their names to their questioning.

I don't think it was unfair of Bettman to be upset when the 2 sides had come together and got close to a deal, then have Fehr come in and blow up the negotiations, and then have Fehr send an offer that will obviously be rejected and have Fehr claim the sides are really close.

Old
12-08-2012, 01:44 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
I spent a little bit reading up more on why Bettman threw his hissy fit the other night, and my disgust towards the owners just went up tenfold.

Bettman, owners, all of you...you've already won. You wanted limits on years for contracts? You got them. Wanted the 50/50 HRR split? You got that, too. Chance to buy out a bad contract without it counting against the cap? Looks like you're getting that.

It makes me feel dirty knowing I pay money into a league that pays these idiots. Not like it'd be perfect, but I'd give anything for a new WHA to pop up somewhere, the NHL has truly become the worst.
Really? Fehr came out and lied to media/fans intentionally which is one of reasons Bettman was furious

And they aren't close

The NHLPA took the financial aspects of owners 10 yr CBA and applied it to there shorter CBA counter offer

That wont fly (And Fehr knew that ,, The #'s aren't agreed too)

And Owners have stated that 10 yr CBA and contract length limits are the issues they wont budge on

Old
12-08-2012, 02:58 PM
MachoDiablo

Never said I was pleased with what Fehr did, and I don't have much use for the man, regardless.

But the owners are turning my stomach with this.

If the 5 year limit is the hill they want to die on, it speaks volumes.

Old
12-08-2012, 03:14 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Never said I was pleased with what Fehr did, and I don't have much use for the man, regardless.

5 yr limit (7 for teams re-signing there own) makes sense especially when you take into account the insurance involved

Old
12-08-2012, 03:48 PM
kiwidevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidevil View Post
Totally agree here.

Especially with sports players where so many times players turn to crap once signing a long term contract.

It's " I want guaranteed money so I can retire in a palace while I eat up your cap space and cost you 13 times what my production is worth. . . . .if I actually play that is."
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
I wish I could sign a guaranteed 8 year contract with IBM or Pfizer.

I'd turn in exemplary financial analysis for about 2 years, then pull a Randy Moss and eat cheeseburgers during staff meetings with my feet up on the desk playing Angry Birds.
Quote:

Read above.

Also on NHL saying they won't move on this issue. I am sure there have been plenty of things the union has said they won't budge on too. They just haven't said it publicly.

Old
12-08-2012, 06:17 PM
Devils Nick30

The 5/7 year limit only effects a very small handful of players

Old
12-08-2012, 06:33 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Another day, another lockout.

Old
12-08-2012, 06:42 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by goalvalchuk17 View Post
If there's a season or not I will proudly go to the draft and boo the hell out of bettman.
And that is different from Bettman's normal reception... how?

Old
12-08-2012, 07:11 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
And that is different from Bettman's normal reception... how?
Because the Draft will be held in Newark.

Old
12-08-2012, 07:44 PM
CerebralGenesis

Hockey is dying quite a gruesome death right now.

Old
12-08-2012, 07:46 PM
CerebralGenesis

I should clarify NHL or pro hockey North American side.

Old
12-08-2012, 09:19 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
Hockey is dying quite a gruesome death right now. I should clarify NHL or pro hockey North American side.
As if it wasn't already right?

One of the NHL's problems is that it's run by Canadians almost monopolistically.

And I mean that as no disrespect to my Canadian brethren, but to Canadian folk, the NHL is their NFL, NHL, NBA, NASCAR, and MLS (hey, why not) all rolled into one. I dont think they recognize that while the lion's share of NHL attendance and member team's are south of their border, that most of us dont give a ratz azz about hockey.

It creates this dichotomy where Canadians think the NHL is SO crucially important to life that it's "too big to fail", whereas to Americans the NHL is about as important as the average March Madness Sweet 16 games.
Sad, but (mostly) true.

Old
12-08-2012, 11:10 PM
goalvalchuk17

Guys don't listen to anything anybody says. Remember when the nhl made their final offer? And then made 2-3 more offers? And there's plenty of other examples that I can't think of off the top of my head. Basically, if one side says they won't move on something, they will eventually. Which is why I think we get a 48 game season when the sides actually will feel pressure to make a deal and see that they both have to compromise on certain things. The reality is there really aren't too many things they are so far apart on, but every time talks break off that's another week or so of nothing.

Old
12-08-2012, 11:45 PM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman77 View Post
If this lockout goes the full season, the draft could not be held in a better location in terms of fans despising Bettman and Daly especially within the past few years

They will get destroyed when they go on stage/to the podium
If the whole season gets wiped out then 99% the union decertifies if that happens the draft is canceled

Closed Thread