HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Jeremy Jacobs

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-09-2012, 12:00 AM
  #51
CommonMeans*
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
Regarding the tax on the rings. It's the first post:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...283219&page=40
Federal tax law is, well, federal law - is it not? If that is the case, I would simply ask why did, for example, former Avalanche players never have to pay taxes on their Stanley Cup rings.

You mentioned state law previously, but if the reason is related to Federal income tax then your point, as I understand it, is entirely irrelevant.

CommonMeans* is offline  
Old
12-09-2012, 12:02 AM
  #52
Gator Mike
 
Gator Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Woburn, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFanDan View Post
He is ONE voice in the process, remember?
This. Jacobs might be the most hardline voice, but he's hardly on an island by himself.

Gator Mike is offline  
Old
12-09-2012, 12:02 AM
  #53
Lost Horizons
Everybody Wants Some
 
Lost Horizons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Everywhere
Country: United States
Posts: 8,080
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonMeans View Post
Federal tax law is, well, federal law - is it not? If that is the case, I would simply ask why did, for example, former Avalanche players never have to pay taxes on their Stanley Cup rings.

You mentioned state law previously, but if the reason is related to Federal income tax then your point, as I understand it, is entirely irrelevant.
I got the state and fed laws mixed up my bad. Tax law isn't my thing. I just remember all of this getting sorted out on the b's board the other day and Deal Law cleared it up for us saying JJ isn't to blame on the tax thing

Lost Horizons is offline  
Old
12-09-2012, 12:06 AM
  #54
CommonMeans*
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
I got the state and fed laws mixed up my bad. Tax law isn't my thing. I just remember all of this getting sorted out on the b's board the other day and Deal Law cleared it up for us saying JJ isn't to blame on the tax thing
The lawyer you cited used Federal tax law as the justification. However, it is clear that previous victors did not pay taxes on their rings. Given that it is Federal law, the law would not be bound by state borders, but rather relevant to all of the US states.

So again, my question is, why did Avalanche players not have to pay tax on their rings? Or, better yet, why did Bruins' players have to?

CommonMeans* is offline  
Old
12-09-2012, 12:10 AM
  #55
Luuuongo
Crabs!
 
Luuuongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: British Columbia
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonMeans View Post
The lawyer you cited used Federal tax law as the justification. However, it is clear that previous victors did not pay taxes on their rings. Given that it is Federal law, the law would not be bound by state borders, but rather relevant to all of the US states.

So again, my question is, why did Avalanche players not have to pay tax on their rings? Or, better yet, why did Bruins' players have to?
Honestly, it doesn't even bother me that he made the players pay because they could afford it. It bothered me when I found out some staff couldn't get a ring because they couldn't afford the tax.

Kudos to the Bs players who stepped up and paid the taxes for those staff.

Luuuongo is offline  
Old
12-09-2012, 12:11 AM
  #56
Lost Horizons
Everybody Wants Some
 
Lost Horizons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Everywhere
Country: United States
Posts: 8,080
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonMeans View Post
The lawyer you cited used Federal tax law as the justification. However, it is clear that previous victors did not pay taxes on their rings. Given that it is Federal law, the law would not be bound by state borders, but rather relevant to all of the US states.

So again, my question is, why did Avalnche players not have to pay tax on their rings?
Tax laws change I guess. Maybe it's state law they were got hit with. Then again all this tax on the rings stuff started from a Vancouver radio reporter on twitter so who knows if it's actually true. FWIW I haven't seen it covered in the local news at the time or now.

Lost Horizons is offline  
Old
12-09-2012, 12:12 AM
  #57
CommonMeans*
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuuongo View Post
Honestly, it doesn't even bother me that he made the players pay because they could afford it. It bothered me when I found out some staff couldn't get a ring because they couldn't afford the tax.

Kudos to the Bs players who stepped up and paid the taxes for those staff.
Don't get me wrong, I could really care less about what the Bruins franchise does - that extends to their owner. I'm just pointing out what I see as a flaw.

CommonMeans* is offline  
Old
12-09-2012, 12:12 AM
  #58
CommonMeans*
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
Tax laws change I guess. Maybe it's state law they were got hit with. Then again all this tax on the rings stuff started from a Vancouver radio reporter on twitter so who knows if it's actually true. FWIW I haven't seen it covered in the local news.
The reports are true and have been verified by other sources.

CommonMeans* is offline  
Old
12-09-2012, 12:14 AM
  #59
Lost Horizons
Everybody Wants Some
 
Lost Horizons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Everywhere
Country: United States
Posts: 8,080
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonMeans View Post
The reports are true and have been verified by other sources.
Links?

Lost Horizons is offline  
Old
12-09-2012, 12:19 AM
  #60
Lost Horizons
Everybody Wants Some
 
Lost Horizons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Everywhere
Country: United States
Posts: 8,080
vCash: 500
The b's gave out 505 rings(how's that for being cheap) a year ago and nothing about any tax thing popped up until like i said a Vancouver radio reporter said it on twitter a week ago. If there was an issue it would have come out long ago.

Lost Horizons is offline  
Old
12-09-2012, 12:24 AM
  #61
Sigh
Snowflake
 
Sigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,683
vCash: 1415
Bruins fans: hated JJ before it was cool.

I mean, oh no! Please don't insult the owner of the team i cheer for!

Sigh is offline  
Old
12-09-2012, 12:54 AM
  #62
BlueDream
Registered User
 
BlueDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 6,790
vCash: 500
Can't stand Jeremy Jacobs. I like Boston's team but I'm not sure I'll be able to want to see them do well anymore after this.

BlueDream is offline  
Old
12-09-2012, 01:06 AM
  #63
Lobstertainment
Registered User
 
Lobstertainment's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,259
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Thank you Jeremy Jacobs and the Boston Bruins for ruining hockey.

This guy made his employees pay taxes on the 2011' cup rings
Damn, if only the Bruins players didn't spend $150 grand drinking that one night maybe they could afford Ferrari Enzo's instead of Regular Ferrari's. **** jacobs.

Lobstertainment is offline  
Old
12-09-2012, 01:12 AM
  #64
chizzler
Registered User
 
chizzler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: 413
Country: Portugal
Posts: 2,288
vCash: 500
The problem with this whole mess, besides the fact that they haven't come to an agreement, is the media manipulation that is going on by both parties. Both parties blame each other. Everyone has a source. Every source is most likely using their media buddies to make themselves look good.

I don't think anyone can argue that this a disgrace that is going on. They are becoming a joke and I have lost interest in this season. I don't want a cheap excuse for a season now.

Roeper, don't be a fool and fall for the media and it's coverage. They don't know, and neither do we as fans. I will say this. I'm more suspicious of Fehr, than anyone else. He's a sleaze. That comes from being a baseball fan. But then again, the owners are what they are, millionaires. They don't get that way by accident.

chizzler is offline  
Old
12-09-2012, 01:45 AM
  #65
CommonMeans*
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,319
vCash: 500
I'm a Canucks fan, so needless to say, I'm not the Bruins biggest fan :p But I will say this: if it is true that the Bruins' players picked up the tab on the taxes for those who could not afford it, then all I can say is props to them. That includes players I can't stand.

So in some ways it becomes easier to cheer for the Bruins after this story. Just need that certain goalie to retire now...I kid, kinda.

CommonMeans* is offline  
Old
12-09-2012, 02:44 AM
  #66
Shaun
beauty
 
Shaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Italy
Posts: 21,290
vCash: 50
Jeremy Stays Winning

Shaun is offline  
Old
12-09-2012, 04:23 AM
  #67
Keeping it Blue
Registered User
 
Keeping it Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 557
vCash: 500
First off, I'd like to say that Roger is not a troll and does often have an opinion that can be logically argued. It does not mean he is alway correct, but he will give you a good discussion about the subject at hand. If you can respond with more than an "lol troll" he can explain to you a view point that a majority of leaf fans will agree on.

Second, my dislike for the bruins owner has come from Bruins fan's dislike for him otherwise I'd have no opinion on him. I am very pro owner but I've place a good deal of blaim on him (right or wrong). I just think that if it was those owners who were involved last week stayed in the game we'd see hockey sooner than later. I understand the frustration in something like this when you feel one side is being stubborn but giving up is only going to leave those that [you fell are] making the process more difficult have to step up.

Lastly, on the rings, that is prettily cheap if true. With my company you get a $125/per year gift every 5 years which is counted as a non-taxable line item. A SC ring should be counted like that (this is Canada though). My friend works for the Canucks and would have gotten a ring had they won. I'd hope the bruins would make it non taxable.

Keeping it Blue is offline  
Old
12-09-2012, 07:01 AM
  #68
nmbr_24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Is there a worse owner in this CBA mess than Jacobs? This guy is such an unbelievable cheapskate. He is a big reason there is no hockey right now.
You will never understand, and really, how could you?, how much Bruins fans dislike Jacobs.

You are making a thread to try and troll Bruins fans but we hate Jacobs more than you or any other fan of any other team can even imagine. We don't need your troll thread.. There is a way to make a thread to discuss Jacobs without trolling Bruins fans but you decided to troll.


Last edited by nmbr_24: 12-09-2012 at 07:07 AM.
nmbr_24 is offline  
Old
12-09-2012, 07:08 AM
  #69
Kadri43
Registered User
 
Kadri43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: noneofyourbusiness
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegs View Post
this...

but thats just cause they make the most amount of money even though their team is almost complete garbage... their ahl affiliate is a dominating force but the nhl team cant seem to put a playoff product on the table... crazy shiit. but hey the GTA has over 10 million ppl and a lot of them love hockey.
Ya there are many fans in the GTA that are pissed to pay 200 $ a ticket to support southern teams.

Kadri43 is offline  
Old
12-09-2012, 07:11 AM
  #70
nmbr_24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
What? Larry Tanenbaum was one of the 6 owners there working night and day to get a deal done last week.

The Leafs do more for the NHl from a financial standpoint than any NHL team.
Tanenbaum said he couldn't believe the kind of stuff that Fehr was pulling and he left, doesn't sound like he did anything more than to leave Jacobs to clean up the mess.

nmbr_24 is offline  
Old
12-09-2012, 07:14 AM
  #71
Rubber Biscuit
Noted Loui Apologist
 
Rubber Biscuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 5,046
vCash: 500
The tax on the rings was MA state gift tax. If Jacobs gave them money to cover that tax, that money would have been taxed.

What exactly is the point of this thread?

Rubber Biscuit is offline  
Old
12-09-2012, 07:16 AM
  #72
premadonna
Registered User
 
premadonna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,221
vCash: 520
This man is evil.

premadonna is offline  
Old
12-09-2012, 07:18 AM
  #73
Morris Wanchuk
.......
 
Morris Wanchuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: War Memorial Arena
Country: United States
Posts: 14,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Jacobs paid for the TD Garden with his own coin.

Morris Wanchuk is offline  
Old
12-09-2012, 08:27 AM
  #74
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.
 
Kaoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,599
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Is there a worse owner in this CBA mess than Jacobs? This guy is such an unbelievable cheapskate. He is a big reason there is no hockey right now.
He's also a big reason the players had to give so much in the last CBA. The stubborn old coot cost the NHL a season last time around for nothing.

well nothing aside from the fact that that deal lead to by far increased revenue, and saw the average player salary raise from 1.6 million to 2.4 million... other then that, nuthin...

Kaoz is offline  
Old
12-09-2012, 09:05 AM
  #75
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator
 
Chairman Maouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fire Lake
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,793
vCash: 50
Closed

__________________
Uncle Jed, I decided I ain't gonna be a brain sturgeon.
Chairman Maouth is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:33 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.