HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Planning to build a new computer? Read Here first! #5

Closed Thread

Old
11-28-2012, 07:47 PM
Zodiac

vCash: 500
ya i guess its a decent overclock for this cpu type. i manged to have stability with low voltage settings so i'm pretty happy about that.

wonder how much more use i can get out of it before feeling the need to upgrade? maybe upgrade it this time next year ...we'll see how things go anyway.

Old
11-28-2012, 08:09 PM
LickTheEnvelope
Decertified Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
Though I would add the computer I'm getting!
specs:

Intel i7 3770k
Asus sabretooth z77
Evga Geoforce 680 4gb!
Corsair vengeance 16gb 1600mhz
Corsair h100
Nzxt switch 810
seagate barracuda 2tb
Intel ssd 180gb

I'm really exited! 1st Pc ever! I have a macbook pro, and it's way to slow for what I like to do.
Similar specs to mine. Very similar. You shouldn't be disappointed it is very beefy. I have yet to find anything I do that taxes it particularly other than conflicts with the card when i'm doing a ridiculous amount of things at once. Talking having 2 games opened + wmp + vlc and firefox all going at once XD. Even then it normally just crashes a game or vlc... there's no system issues.

Old
11-30-2012, 08:19 AM
Puck
Ninja

I don't know if anyone has seen this yet, I thought of starting a new thread, I might or someone else could if people want to discuss it more (so we don't hijack this thread).

It seems Intel has decided that in the near future, it will solder CPUs unto the motherboard. SO basically Mobo and CPU will be sold as one package. This won't bother most PC consumers but it will affect the enthusiast PC builder and those that would be thinking of CPU replacements or upgrades.

http://semiaccurate.com/2012/11/26/i...cs-go-with-it/

I find the article somewhat alarmist, at first I thought Intel was just going to cut off other Mobo manufacturers and push its CPUs on its own motherboards only. But reading elsewhere, that isn't the case. For now. But all may be required to solder the CPU to the motherboard.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing...-upgradable-pc

Old
11-30-2012, 11:19 AM
Slot 3
exitus acta probat

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
It seems Intel has decided that in the near future, it will solder CPUs unto the motherboard. SO basically Mobo and CPU will be sold as one package. This won't bother most PC consumers but it will affect the enthusiast PC builder and those that would be thinking of CPU replacements or upgrades.

http://semiaccurate.com/2012/11/26/i...cs-go-with-it/
I was pretty alarmed at first, but I had read (somewhere) that the generation after Broadwell would go back to LGA. Intel is probably going to transition to a cadence that goes LGA (for their architecture breakthroughs) and BGA (for die-shrinking, etc.) in alternating years.

Personally, I feel that this is all a result of AMD not being overly competitive with Intel.

Old
11-30-2012, 02:09 PM
SniperHF
Random Red Couch....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slot 3 View Post
I was pretty alarmed at first, but I had read (somewhere) that the generation after Broadwell would go back to LGA. Intel is probably going to transition to a cadence that goes LGA (for their architecture breakthroughs) and BGA (for die-shrinking, etc.) in alternating years.
I sort of agree with the alarmist description.

Remembering back a few years ago, how Intel was going to include this super nasty on chip DRM and ruin the openness of the platform or some such.

Also it seems odd because Intel has done quite a bit for the enthusiast lately.

Wait and see, could be horrible or overblown. But even if it is soldered to the board and there are no socket options, I'm sure someone like ASUS will package various CPUs with enthusiast level motherboards and sell them like that. Even most enthusiasts I know don't swap CPUs that much. In building my own systems I've only upgraded a CPU within a generation/socket family once. A64 3500+ to A64 4000+.

Old
11-30-2012, 02:24 PM
Puck
Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slot 3 View Post

Personally, I feel that this is all a result of AMD not being overly competitive with Intel.
It's a factor no doubt. Another factor might be the evolution towards ARM chips that caught Intel off-guard. Microsoft just turned on a dime and surprised its partners with a Surface tablet. The PC market is changing and the Big Boys are positioning themselves for the future, if they don't act aggressively now to create a territory for themselves, they could be out-of-business in 10 years. 10 years is a long time in tech. Any one of Intel, AMD, NVidia, Asus, Gigabyte, HP, Dell, Microsoft, Nokia, RiM etc. could be gone or quite a different company than it is today in 10 years. Even Apple better not sit on its laurels.

Right now enthusiasts can change parts in their PCs (people who post on this thread), in a few years it will be a non-interchangeable, one-piece appliance you buy and throw out when one part dies (no replacement parts unless you really know what you're doing or have connections). Gamers who buy more expensive desktops will care, some engineering firms with Xeon workstations and high-end video cards might, most others won't. Except for games, you don't really need a state-of-the-art PC anymore, most apps run on basic hardware. The trend is towards low-watt CPUs and GPUs and thinner form-factors.

Old
11-30-2012, 02:26 PM
SniperHF
Random Red Couch....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
Another factor might be the evolution towards ARM chips
AMD also just jumped into ARM. Though they may not exist long enough to actually do it

Old
11-30-2012, 02:48 PM
Puck
Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
I sort of agree with the alarmist description.

Remembering back a few years ago, how Intel was going to include this super nasty on chip DRM and ruin the openness of the platform or some such.

Also it seems odd because Intel has done quite a bit for the enthusiast lately.

Wait and see, could be horrible or overblown. But even if it is soldered to the board and there are no socket options, I'm sure someone like ASUS will package various CPUs with enthusiast level motherboards and sell them like that. Even most enthusiasts I know don't swap CPUs that much. In building my own systems I've only upgraded a CPU within a generation/socket family once. A64 3500+ to A64 4000+.
It might make overclockers think twice; if you know you can't get a replacement for OCing your cheaper CPU to artificially up performance, you have to buy a new board too you might think twice. Or if the board dies after warranty for some reason, you just can't swap the board. I know not everyone does this though, it mainly affects an enthusiast corner of the market.

Some other board makers or chipmakers have to be worried too, in some scenarios they might be squeezed out in some monopolistic Intel play. The anti-trust people made sure IBM was on a leash in the old days, and it created the open architecture environment we have today. In a global marketplace, the same anti-trust people might not care or the same conditions might not apply. Each country might be concerned about protecting its own industries and give its companies more leeway in screwing others.

Intel might be worried with the trend towards ARM chips in devices and might make a defensive move to defend itself by throwing out the old open architecture rules out the window. Microsoft seems to be reacting too and it is moving into hardware like Apple and Google. Intel might be deciding it has to build more of the computing appliances itself to stay alive.

Old
11-30-2012, 03:31 PM
Puck
Ninja

Quote:
AMD also just jumped into ARM. Though they may not exist long enough to actually do it
The video card business could be screwed for both AMD and nVidia if Intel makes a play to close off its architecture, now that it has its own Intel video. That won't happen tomorrow, but it could. nVidia is also into ARM and it didn't do itself any favors with Intel awhile back saying their GPUs could eventually replace CPUs in processing power. AMD has played nice with partners and is currently in with Sony to build the new PS4 parts. Someday in the future you might have proprietary Intel PCs and AMD might be positioned to be the only CPU, GPU, APU armed competitor in that market, weakened as it is. Then you have the open ARM architectures; nVidia is putting its eggs in that basket; many others are following. Microsoft just p*ssed off HP and Dell and the latter might go the Android/ARM route. I have no idea who, what, the successful players might be in 10 years, who survives, but it looks good for Apple and Google right now with ARM appliances, then I'm not so sure. AMD has some nice pieces to play in this battle but they are much weakened. Some say Microsoft is weakened for not moving fast enough and isn't innovative enough to stay on top. I have no idea. We'll see what happens in the new mobile app environment. But the Desktop PC seems to be going down, the future belongs to tablets, laptops and thinner touch-screen appliances. It might not die, but it will be a niche market.

Last edited by Puck: 11-30-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old
11-30-2012, 11:11 PM
Zodiac

ahh yesssss ....my video card from NCIX hasn't shipped out yet because they have zero stock.

when i ordered that card, it said it was in stock, but in very low volume ...and that it might take a little longer to ship.

still ...at the time it said 'in stock' ...so i figured that it'd be alright/cool.

so i wonder how long this is gonna take now? hopefully it wont be too long.

Old
12-01-2012, 03:24 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

The RAM in my laptop says PC3-12800S

What does the S at the end mean? Does it matter if I pair a 12800 and a 12800S together?

Old
12-01-2012, 08:38 PM
SniperHF
Random Red Couch....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
The RAM in my laptop says PC3-12800S

What does the S at the end mean? Does it matter if I pair a 12800 and a 12800S together?
What kind of laptop is it?

I've never heard that term before and random googling isn't helping.

Old
12-02-2012, 04:27 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
What kind of laptop is it?

I've never heard that term before and random googling isn't helping.
Lenovo

The RAM is

Hynix 2GB 1Rx8 PC3-12800S-11-11-B2
Hynix 4GB 2Rx8 PC3-12800S-11-11-F3

Yeah I can't find anything on google either. Hard term to search for.

Wikipedia says this

Quote:
In addition to bandwidth and capacity variants, modules can:
Optionally implement ECC, which is an extra data byte lane used for correcting minor errors and detecting major errors for better reliability. Modules with ECC are identified by an additional ECC or E in their designation. For example: "PC3-6400 ECC", or PC3-8500E.[13]

Be "registered", which improves signal integrity (and hence potentially clock rates and physical slot capacity) by electrically buffering the signals with a register, at a cost of an extra clock of increased latency. Those modules are identified by an additional R in their designation, whereas non-registered (a.k.a. "unbuffered") RAM may be identified by an additional U in the designation. PC3-6400R is a registered PC3-6400 module, and PC3-6400R ECC is the same module with ECC.

Be fully buffered modules, which are designated by F or FB and do not have the same notch position as other classes. Fully buffered modules cannot be used with motherboards that are made for registered modules, and the different notch position physically prevents their insertion.
But nothing about "S"

Old
12-02-2012, 07:48 PM
SniperHF
Random Red Couch....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post

But nothing about "S"
Well, I had two guesses. They are basically complete guesses btw.

1. Its short for SODIMM meaning laptop RAM as opposed to desktop.

2. It's short for Sandy Bridge, when Sandy Bridge came out the memory specs changed slightly because the controllers supposedly couldn't handle higher voltage ddr3 like the core2's could.

Old
12-02-2012, 09:24 PM
Slot 3
exitus acta probat

vCash: 600
Quote:
Gonna go with this one.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:46 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Yep this is it. Found this is the DDR2 SDRAM wiki page

Quote:
For use in computers, DDR2 SDRAM is supplied in DIMMs with 240 pins and a single locating notch. Laptop DDR2 SO-DIMMs have 200 pins and often come identified by an additional S in their designation. DIMMs are identified by their peak transfer capacity (often called bandwidth).
I would assume this applies to DDR3 as well. Thanks, good guess

Old
12-05-2012, 09:18 PM
chris_dub
Avoid Catalina...

Send a message via MSN to chris_dub
Alright guys, I'm ready to build an HTPC. I just gutted my old Dell XPS Gen 5 that I got back in 2005. It's been sitting unplugged since last summer when I bought a new HP desktop, which is now my main computer with all my media on it. Right now, my HP is in wired into my router (which is sitting beside my HDTV in the living room). The plan is to build a fairly basic HTPC that I can have set up in the living room with the other components, and plug it right into the router so the two computers can talk to each other so I can watch all my media on the big screen.

When I bought the new HP last summer, I got a friend at work to wipe it clean of all the preloaded crap & upgrade a few things. I also got him to upgrade what he could in the old Dell XPS, as I planned to have it as a secondary/backup computer. Since that never happened, I decided to pull everything out of it & in to a sleeker HTPC case.

This is what I took out:

- Motherboard: Dell XPS Gen 5 GC068: http://www.blueskyave.com/servlet/th...ion-XPS/Detail

- RAM: 3GB total. Corsair VS1GB677D2 (x 2): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820146580 ----- Samsung 512MB 1Rx8 PC2-4200U-4444-12-D3 (x 2)

- Video Card: ASUS EAH4350: http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/A...ENTDI512MD2LP/

- Internal HDD x2: Samsung 250GB SP2504C: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822152025 ----- Maxtor 250GB 7L250SO (took it off the ex's old computer)

- Wireless Card (which has now been phased out): DLINK DWL-G510: http://www.dlink.com/us/en/support/p...g-lan-pci-card

- Front USB/Audio: Dell K9707: http://www.txcesssurplus.com/servlet...XPS-600/Detail

- Rear Audio Card: Dell SB0350: http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Blaster-A.../dp/B005EDFXB4

- DVD Drive: Sony DDU1615: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827101131

- DVD Burner: Philips DVD8701/95: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Philips...item41694dc463

- Data/Fax Modem: Intel KB581604/02 http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Internal.../dp/B0045JSZ4U

Now obviously I probably won't need everything out of this, but I figured I mine as well just in case. The one problem I may have run into so far is the Motherboard. It is defined as an ATX, but apparently it is "company specific motherboard" that may not be compatible with standard ATX cases. I am not sure if there is a way to find this out, or should I just look for a new motherboard that would be easier to deal with.

My video card is good, as it plays all my HD movies/TV shows pretty good. I will probably up the RAM because...why not? The HDD's are all I need since everything is stored on my main computer. The Wireless card is good to have just in case. Everything else is just...meh.

So can you pro's offer any insight on the motherboard issue? Or provide anything else I should look for/watch out for??

Thanks.

Old
12-05-2012, 09:43 PM
SniperHF
Random Red Couch....

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_dub View Post
My video card is good, as it plays all my HD movies/TV shows pretty good. I will probably up the RAM because...why not? The HDD's are all I need since everything is stored on my main computer. The Wireless card is good to have just in case. Everything else is just...meh.

So can you pro's offer any insight on the motherboard issue? Or provide anything else I should look for/watch out for??

Thanks.
If you already have 3gb of DDR 2 I'm not sure I'd bother upgrading it. 3Gb should be plenty for HTPC applications. Plus it's easy to jam the extra in later if you have problems.

Now if you have to get into a new motherboard you'll need DDR3 RAM, but 4gb is really cheap these days.

It's pretty rare you can't mount a motherboard in any case. Now you may have some alignment issues but that's nothing a dremel can't fix. Maybe compare the mount positions of your motherboard to another standard board?

I noticed you didn't list a CPU though. Do you already have one?

If you don't have one, or have issues with your motherboard / case situation you might get a cheap APU combo.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...=Combo.1162190

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...=Combo.1162020

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...=Combo.1162191

Not an APU but it would still work.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...=Combo.1161623

Those kinda combos offer a lot of computing power for not much money, probably improved video performance too if you are running high resolutions.

Keep in mind some of those boards might obsolete any PCI cards you have. Same with the Hard drives if they are IDE. So there are some potential serious cost increases if you end up needing a new board.

Old
12-05-2012, 09:57 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Did you OC your Q9300?
Not yet. I totally should...
But my motherboard is SUPER picky. I had to do A LOT of fiddling to get it to boot properly with the new 8GB of RAM.

Old
12-05-2012, 10:03 PM
Zodiac

the GTX680 finally shipped today. they were low on stock, then out of stock, then got 8 in (one of them was mine), and now there's like 2 or 3 left.

anyway, its coming from BC, so it'll probably be this time next week when i get it.

i'll have to do some benchmarks with my current setup, and then run them again with the 680 to compare. should be interesting.

3d mark 11
lost planet 2
heaven benchmark (whatever the newest version is)
mafia 2
crysis
metro 2033

those should probably cover it i guess as far as benchmarks go.

ohya ...batman arkham city would be another good bench.

Last edited by Zodiac: 12-05-2012 at 10:23 PM.
Old
12-06-2012, 03:39 PM
SniperHF
Random Red Couch....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
ohya ...batman arkham city would be another good bench.
Hey, if you aren't going to sell your 460's you could set one up as a Physx card.

Old
12-06-2012, 09:40 PM
Zodiac

Quote:
Hey, if you aren't going to sell your 460's you could set one up as a Physx card.
ya i'll probably try that out just to see how much of a difference it'll make ...but since the 680 is so powerful it might not be worth it.

example ...when i first got the 460, i actually tried my old 8800GT in there as a dedicated physx card with some less than stellar results. in short, the 460 was faster doing the physx on its own rather than being held back by the slower 8800GT. i was kinda surprised, but yeah ...the benchmarks were a bit lower with the 8800 in there.

at the time, i remember reading an nvidia faq on physx and it stated that in order for a gpu to be a 'proper' physx card, that it should have a certain amount of cuda cores ...something like 40% of the cores of your primary card in order to keep up with it. (i can't remember the exact amount but i think it was around there). so when talking 'cuda cores', a gtx680 has 1536 and a gtx460 has 336 ...so that makes me wonder if the 460 might be too slow. we'll see i guess.

i'll try it out anyway and see how the results end up in some benches.

Old
12-06-2012, 10:02 PM
SniperHF
Random Red Couch....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
ya i'll probably try that out just to see how much of a difference it'll make ...but since the 680 is so powerful it might not be worth it.

example ...when i first got the 460, i actually tried my old 8800GT in there as a dedicated physx card with some less than stellar results. in short, the 460 was faster doing the physx on its own rather than being held back by the slower 8800GT. i was kinda surprised, but yeah ...the benchmarks were a bit lower with the 8800 in there.
I've read a few places that you want a 9800gtx or higher for dedicated Physx. 8800 gt is pretty well below that. So the 460's might do better, they are still effectively last gen cards if you OC them.

Old
12-09-2012, 12:14 AM
SniperHF
Random Red Couch....

Total thread update completed.
The components should be good until AMD releases their new line of cards in Q2 2013. That means I can take a nap for a while

Added Vishera CPU's, the new Sandy-E CPU.
Upgraded many cards in the builds (6870 to 7850 1gb, 560 ti to 660 2gb, 7970 to 7970 GHZ edition)

Random Notes:
Prices are actually increasing for some reason on high end motherboards, memory kits, and cases.

Canadians continue to get shafted on price differences by a few OEM's for some reason. Namely EVGA and ASROCK.

Ivy Bridge prices are now where Sandy's were.

SSD prices continue to plummet. A 240GB Kingston SSD in May was $349, now it's $200.

7850's are still an insanely good buy. $169 for a 1gb 7850 is unreal graphics power for the money.

Old
12-10-2012, 12:43 AM
chris_dub
Avoid Catalina...

Send a message via MSN to chris_dub
Quote:
If you already have 3gb of DDR 2 I'm not sure I'd bother upgrading it. 3Gb should be plenty for HTPC applications. Plus it's easy to jam the extra in later if you have problems.

Now if you have to get into a new motherboard you'll need DDR3 RAM, but 4gb is really cheap these days.

It's pretty rare you can't mount a motherboard in any case. Now you may have some alignment issues but that's nothing a dremel can't fix. Maybe compare the mount positions of your motherboard to another standard board?

I noticed you didn't list a CPU though. Do you already have one?

If you don't have one, or have issues with your motherboard / case situation you might get a cheap APU combo.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...=Combo.1162190

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...=Combo.1162020

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...=Combo.1162191

Not an APU but it would still work.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...=Combo.1161623

Those kinda combos offer a lot of computing power for not much money, probably improved video performance too if you are running high resolutions.

Keep in mind some of those boards might obsolete any PCI cards you have. Same with the Hard drives if they are IDE. So there are some potential serious cost increases if you end up needing a new board.
Yes CPU on the motherboard already. For now, I have narrowed it down to these two cases:

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=33510&...m&promoid=1378

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=35509&...m&promoid=1378

They are both bigger than what I want, but the only decent ones I have found that would fit my ATX motherboard.

Closed Thread