HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

12'/13' Marlies Part I|24-14-2-2|Colborne and Ashton stepping up?

Closed Thread

Old
12-08-2012, 11:38 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

vCash: 500
The way Gardiner's head was turned when he was hit, I wouldn't be surprised if he has a neck strain that is causing head symptoms. LIke Crosby and Reimer.

Let's hope.

A neck strain is far more desirable than a concussion.

Old
12-09-2012, 12:06 AM
skacore

Will Ryan Hamilton ever be a full-time Leaf?

Good game tonight, it's nice to watch it on TV rather than a crappy stream for a change.

Last edited by skacore: 12-09-2012 at 12:12 AM.
Old
12-09-2012, 12:09 AM
The K Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatASaveDave View Post
Had the best time at the Marlies game tonight, went with my best friend. Right before the players went onto the ice, Nicolas Deschamps came out and no one acknowledged him so i called him out and he pointed at me and was like, "what's good". It was pretty cool and Matt Frattin came out all hyper and dancy and barked at me when me and my buddy called him. (love his character) Nazem was a ******, he didn't really acknowledge anyone and he looked pissed off. Brad Ross came out and I was like, "Biggest beauty over here, Brad Ross" and he had the biggest smirk on his face aahhhahaa. And then Mark Owuya came out, and i yelled "Mark Indy Park take no for answer" and he couldn't help but laugh and he looked back and shook his blocker in the air, good times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJPQIimQyvo
The more I see this song the more I want him to become an NHL pro

Old
12-09-2012, 12:13 AM
WhatASaveDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by The K Man View Post
The more I see this song the more I want him to become an NHL pro
aha me too ! This guy is such a beauty

Old
12-09-2012, 12:13 AM
skacore

Will Ryan Hamilton ever be a full-time Leaf?

He's probably my favourite Marlie right now. Even though he wears the C he's often overlooked when talking about prospects in the system.

To me, he's an ideal 3rd/4th line player and I think his game would translate perfectly to the NHL. He's a big body (6'2 230) and he USES it... he can protect the puck, grind, go hard to the net..he gets the dirty goals and that's what you need from a depth guy. He also plays a very, very sound defensive game and I'd consider him the Marlies' best PKing forward. He's only 27 years old and seems to be getting better every year.

Thoughts?

Old
12-09-2012, 12:19 AM
Dangles McGavin
Embrace the Petri

He didn't look out of place in his two (?) games last year. He'd make a nice fourth liner IMO; I prefer my fourth liners to actually be capable hockey players (ie. not Mike Brown). Depends what Carlyle wants I suppose.

I like him though. He's a good player.

Old
12-09-2012, 12:22 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

He's a prototypical 4th line/AHL tweener. Doubt he ever makes the Leafs full time, but he's capable of spot duty, which is good to have.

EDIT: Lol "skacore?" Is that like some hilarious hybrid genre of ska and hardcore?

Old
12-09-2012, 12:27 AM
TheProspector

I've liked Ryan Hamilton since I first saw him in his first year as a Leaf in a game in Hamilton.

He was noticeable in that he won nearly every puck battle he engaged in.

At 27, though, I don't think this should be considered a prospect discussion.

Old
12-09-2012, 12:41 AM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProspector View Post
I've liked Ryan Hamilton since I first saw him in his first year as a Leaf in a game in Hamilton.

He was noticeable in that he won nearly every puck battle he engaged in.

At 27, though, I don't think this should be considered a prospect discussion.
He may have had more of a shot without ronnie

Old
12-09-2012, 12:43 AM
skacore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
He's a prototypical 4th line/AHL tweener. Doubt he ever makes the Leafs full time, but he's capable of spot duty, which is good to have.

EDIT: Lol "skacore?" Is that like some hilarious hybrid genre of ska and hardcore?
Skacore is usually considered ska/punk

Old
12-09-2012, 12:45 AM
skacore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles McGavin View Post
He didn't look out of place in his two (?) games last year. He'd make a nice fourth liner IMO; I prefer my fourth liners to actually be capable hockey players (ie. not Mike Brown). Depends what Carlyle wants I suppose.

I like him though. He's a good player.
You don't think Brown is a capable 4th liner? I think he's pretty damn good. He's a spark plug and an enforcer-lite when we don't have a true heavy in the line up.

I'm thinking a line of Hamilton Steckel Brown might work well in both ends of the ice.

Old
12-09-2012, 12:46 AM
skacore

I dunno but watching Colborne play and then watching Hamilton out there the next shift, it's like night and day with who I'd rather have on my hockey team. Hamilton is one of those guys who just does the rights things 99% of the time without being asked, I think in the long run, for a championship team that goes a long way.

Old
12-09-2012, 01:39 AM
Dangles McGavin
Embrace the Petri

Quote:
Originally Posted by skacore View Post
You don't think Brown is a capable 4th liner? I think he's pretty damn good. He's a spark plug and an enforcer-lite when we don't have a true heavy in the line up.

I'm thinking a line of Hamilton Steckel Brown might work well in both ends of the ice.
Brown has basically no hockey skill. He has a ton of energy, he can hit, and he can fight.

Problem is, this IS hockey. I get that he's an enforcer-lite, but what really is that? Strikes no fear in your opponent, he can't (though I'm pretty sure he would) fight heavyweights. Pretty pointless player if you ask me. Just my opinion- I'm sure he brings that energy value to the team, but I think that could be replaced.

Old
12-09-2012, 01:44 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by skacore View Post
Skacore is usually considered ska/punk
I'm pretty familiar with ska punk, just never heard it called skacore before. That's awesome

Old
12-09-2012, 09:47 AM
Badger Mayhew

vCash: 50
What is with these Marlies stats? Only Gardiner, Kadri and Frattin's stats look impressive of our prospects. Ashton and Colborne's for example look flat out horrible.

Old
12-09-2012, 09:57 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Mayhew View Post
What is with these Marlies stats? Only Gardiner, Kadri and Frattin's stats look impressive of our prospects. Ashton and Colborne's for example look flat out horrible.
stats dont tell the whole story, ashton and colborne from what it sounded like was a very good combo last night.

I feel like i said this before when the playoffs were around and surpised why eakins took so long on putting them together.

12-09-2012, 10:13 AM
Morlesio14*

So is Gardiner going to miss this game?

Old
12-09-2012, 10:26 AM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
No doubt Ashton and Colborne aren't putting up the numbers that they would hope, but that's because they simply haven't been given the same opportunities as last year.

Every powerplay is dominated by Aucoin, Kadri, Frattin, Gardiner and Kostka. Seriously, from watchin I'd say they get about 75% of the PP time.

Old
12-09-2012, 10:42 AM
WeWantACup
HFB Partner

Iím starting to believe that the AHL has become a three team league. If itís not a game against the Hamilton Bulldogs, it seems that the Toronto Marlies are bound to square off against the Rochester. For the third time in a week, and second time at home, this was the case last night as Toronto faced Rochester at the Ricoh Coliseum.

http://wewantacup.com/headlines/1084...ies-to-victory

Old
12-09-2012, 10:49 AM
S2S
Come at me bros

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeWantACup View Post
Iím starting to believe that the AHL has become a three team league. If itís not a game against the Hamilton Bulldogs, it seems that the Toronto Marlies are bound to square off against the Rochester. For the third time in a week, and second time at home, this was the case last night as Toronto faced Rochester at the Ricoh Coliseum.

http://wewantacup.com/headlines/1084...ies-to-victory

It is unfortunate, but this must be done to save travel costs. Most teams only play 18 of the 30 teams. It is unfortunate that teams like Toronto and Hamilton don't face Providence, big rivals at the NHL level. A team like Manchester is always competitive with L.A.'s prospect system and there is a team you never see either. Heck, both the Marlies and Bulldogs don't even face the Checkers, a team within their own conference!

Old
12-09-2012, 10:59 AM
WTFMAN99

My opinion on Hamilton is he actually could be a decent 4th line guy in the NHL if he threw his weight around a little more.

Old
12-09-2012, 11:32 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
No doubt Ashton and Colborne aren't putting up the numbers that they would hope, but that's because they simply haven't been given the same opportunities as last year.

Every powerplay is dominated by Aucoin, Kadri, Frattin, Gardiner and Kostka. Seriously, from watchin I'd say they get about 75% of the PP time.
For the Leafs Aucoin and Kostka are kind of meaningless, but they are important to the Marlies.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
12-09-2012, 12:01 PM
sgupca

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post

This,

Colborne and Ashton have looked good together, i was extremely happy with their play yesterday. They just don't get the ice-time as the players you've mentioned above.

if/when the NHL comes back, their roles will increase and thus, so will their point production. Their point totals don't match their on-ice play in my opinion.

Old
12-09-2012, 12:02 PM
sgupca

On a side note, is there any updates on Gardiner's injury?

Old
12-09-2012, 12:05 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgupca View Post
On a side note, is there any updates on Gardiner's injury?
Just that they took him at as precautionary and that it didn't seem to be a concussion.

We will probably find out more as we get closer to game time.

Closed Thread