Closed Thread

Old
12-08-2012, 02:16 PM
Averman
Ya, Yeo Betcha

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
The irony is that the owners hired Bettman to fight the players to draw up a new CBA to save the owners from themselves.
And as soon as it's over the owners will have people going over the agreement with a fine tooth comb looking for ways to circumvent it.

Old
12-08-2012, 04:25 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averman View Post
And as soon as it's over the owners will have people going over the agreement with a fine tooth comb looking for ways to circumvent it.
so will the players and their agents. that's the nature of business. that's the nature of people. find an exploit, use it to benefit yourself as often as possible before it's taken away.

It certainly would be cumbersome but they could add an amendment to the CBA which lets a board (I'd guess owners, league, and players reps) review any action that might be considered violating "the spirit" of the CBA if formally challenged by some party.

Old
12-08-2012, 05:24 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
so will the players and their agents. that's the nature of business. that's the nature of people. find an exploit, use it to benefit yourself as often as possible before it's taken away.

It certainly would be cumbersome but they could add an amendment to the CBA which lets a board (I'd guess owners, league, and players reps) review any action that might be considered violating "the spirit" of the CBA if formally challenged by some party.
Technically the league already has this "power." There's vague rules that allows the league to "interpret" behavior. That's what New Jersey ended up being fined under. The "Kovalchuk Rule" was added after the fine to try curtail some of that behavior, but the rules committee can only do so much mid-CBA.

Old
12-09-2012, 12:43 AM
D U M B A
The Disaster March

vCash: 523

Every time I see this picture on TSN, I immediately think of that Team America puke gif.

Man, this lockout really sucks...

Old
12-09-2012, 02:07 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utterly Disgusting View Post

Every time I see this picture on TSN, I immediately think of that Team America puke gif.

Man, this lockout really sucks...
Yeah it does. I'm running out of things to fill the leisure time that I always set aside for hockey in the winter.

Wish I could afford some Fargo Force season tickets.

Ah hell, I should look up USHL prospects and figure out when some of them are gonna be here in town and go see a game or two sometime.

Old
12-09-2012, 02:19 AM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
USHL isn't THAT good.

Old
12-09-2012, 08:20 AM
Iowa Wild Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
USHL isn't THAT good.
The USHL is not a bad league. It's a good time when I go to Waterloo Blackhawk games. This is coming from someone who used to slam on the league often.

Old
12-09-2012, 10:14 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Yeah it does. I'm running out of things to fill the leisure time that I always set aside for hockey in the winter.

Wish I could afford some Fargo Force season tickets.

Ah hell, I should look up USHL prospects and figure out when some of them are gonna be here in town and go see a game or two sometime.
2012 4th round pick Adam Gilmour will be in Fargo on Saturday at 7:15 PM. That's going to be their last home game until January.

Old
12-09-2012, 12:56 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
2012 4th round pick Adam Gilmour will be in Fargo on Saturday at 7:15 PM. That's going to be their last home game until January.
Neat. I'll see if I can get to that one.

Old
12-09-2012, 01:02 PM
Jbcraig1883

http://vimeo.com/55149830

Just saw this on Bucci's Twitter.

Old
12-09-2012, 01:14 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

i don't have that much self control

Old
12-09-2012, 01:17 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

I'd consider it provided that I'm able to fill that void with something else. Chances are no, but damned if I don't try. They don't deserve us back so quickly.

Old
12-10-2012, 09:40 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Lambert is such a hack it shocks me that he has a soapbox...

Old
12-10-2012, 10:13 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Hey, now Jarick's moving the goalposts, and trying to turn a blind eye to all the evidence!

If you've followed anything with this, it's been painfully clear. The PA had been grandstanding and announcing that economic issues were the problem, and that they were very close ($1BN is close right?). Suddenly, core economics didn't matter, and all we heard about was contracting issues of contract limits, UFA age, and arbitration changes. Now suddenly, the "big deal" holding up the NHLPA is pensions? Something that hasn't even been mentioned once up to this point? No no Jarick, you must be right, this has been story the whole time. I mean, we all knew back in July that pensions were the big sticking point the players were concerned about right?

You really believe that line from Bettman, do you?

Old
12-10-2012, 10:22 AM
Casper
30 goal grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post

You really believe that line from Bettman, do you?
I do.

The league should just stand tall on a longer deal (10 years, nothing shorter), say that contracts cannot fall lower than 50% from the first year's $ amount to the last year's $ amount and accept the players term lengths.

Old
12-10-2012, 10:30 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
I do.

The league should just stand tall on a longer deal (10 years, nothing shorter), say that contracts cannot fall lower than 50% from the first year's $ amount to the last year's $ amount and accept the players term lengths.
That method of writing the rule is easily abused (if you meant it literally as you wrote it). If contracts cannot drop below 50% of the first year, make the first two years $4MM and $8MM (to adhere to the 100% rule as well) and spike back up and down appropriately. This leaves a minimum of $2MM per year in salary, but doesn't really do much other than change the distribution. The Parise/Suter contracts would have just about been able to fit under this rule, they only would have needed to add a total of $2MM in salary (and therefore $167k in cap hit) across the entire contract after restructuring.

Old
12-10-2012, 01:24 PM
Dr Jan Itor

I'm not sure what the word is, but I think it's a little bogus that the players are only allowed to have one "key issue". It's almost like "now that they have agreed on the make whole, the players can't raise anymore issues to with contract rights or pensions or whatnot, or it will construed as 'moving the goalposts'", when in all likelihood, the make-whole/rollback was the biggest issue, and now that it's apparently resolved, there are others that they would like to address.

I can understand the owners being upset with the whole press conference fiasco, but agreeing to one issue shouldn't automatically lead to one parties' subordination to all the others.

Old
12-10-2012, 01:39 PM
Nsjohnson

I think what I'm looking forward to if we have a short season, is what Heatley looks like after surgery that supposedly helped him a lot, half a year of rehab and conditioning instead of three months (I'm assuming he and the other players are at least staying conditioned, how intense that is I don't know) and maybe some motivation because he's almost at the end of his contract. Besides, contrary to beliefs of all NHL fans outside of MN, Heatley was actually a TEAM player, who by ALL accounts (and in SJ too) is a great teammate, and who very obviously tried to lead by example most nights on the ice. Specially when Koivu was hurt.

He's going to be 32. This year (if played) and next will be his last on a top line- and hell he may not even play on our top line next season. The guy still has one of the best shots (not as accurate anymore) in the NHL and was clutch for us during the season a decent amount of times- excluding his terrible, terrible shootout attempts.

I'll be honest- I'm not expecting Dany to be able to put up 50 goals again. But how long has it been since someone scored more than 30+ Gaborik? Watching Senators highlights Heatley basically was fed by Spezza and Alfred or he picked up garbage goals after them. They worked hard and had skill, and Heatley thrived off that. Koivu and Parise, while not having the shear skill that Spezza possesses, are very talented two way players that have great vision- more so Koivu.

Old
12-10-2012, 01:40 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

More games lost. Rate this is going, NHL players are going to have to take up gooning for Mr. Freeze.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
12-10-2012, 01:47 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

I find enjoyment that the players keep losing money that they will never see back over their lifetime...

Keep it going at this rate. For a select few I just hope I get to read about them in a decade about how they've now got nothing to show for their playing career.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
12-10-2012, 01:48 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Eh, I still think there's a better than 25% chance they play this season.

Old
12-10-2012, 01:49 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

I'm 50/50 right now. Fifty percent sure I don't remember hockey on tv at night and fifty percent sure I have more booze.

Old
12-10-2012, 01:50 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsjohn130 View Post
He's going to be 32. This year (if played) and next will be his last on a top line- and hell he may not even play on our top line next season. The guy still has one of the best shots (not as accurate anymore) in the NHL and was clutch for us during the season a decent amount of times- excluding his terrible, terrible shootout attempts.
A little OT, but if he isn't too unrealistic/demanding with his next contract, I could definitely see us bringing him back, even to play on the 3rd line/2nd PP unit (if his ego allows). He's always been underrated in his defense and a...

Heatley - Brodziak - Clutterbuck/Bulmer/?

...3rd line could do some very good secondary damage.

Old
12-10-2012, 01:51 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I would have to imagine if he continues to slow down he couldn't hack a third line role...

Old
12-10-2012, 01:54 PM
rafterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post

Keep it going at this rate. For a select few I just hope I get to read about them in a decade about how they've now got nothing to show for their playing career.
Bissonnette won't make it half that

Closed Thread