HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Team Rankings: Minnesota Wild owns impressive group of prospects with elite potential

Old
12-08-2012, 01:34 PM
Jacko95

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Agreed with many of the teams in the top 10, but I think they're overrating Tampa and Chicago fairly significantly. For example, I'd take the Bruins' pool over Tampa's, and they have the Bruins ranked 19th, with Tampa ranked 7th.
Are you serious? You wold take Boston's pool over the best pro prospect pool, Syracuse has not a single lifetime AHLer in a key roll. If you look at the other two top teams: Abbotsford and Springfield have some/ a lot key players who are no prospects.
Behind Hamiton and Subban are just a few others with high end potential and you would really prefer this pool?

Jacko95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 01:43 PM
Mike Liut

vCash: 50
I might be biased, but I will take the Blues pool over everyones

Tarasenko
Schwartz
Rattie
Jaskin
Cole
Allen

Mike Liut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 01:47 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Podium View Post
Minnesota has a really good group, they went under the radar for the last 5 years but its starting to pay off. The have arguably the best forward prospect not named Yakupov, the have arguably the best powerforward prospect, they have incredible depth in every position especially on D and at C which are the most important. I wouldnt take any corps over Minnesota if i had the choice, HF made the right decision.
Huberdeau > Granlund
Bjugstad > over whoever you got as their powerforward
IMO

Floridas C depth: Huberdeau (can play wing), Bjugstad, Shore, Grimaldi, Trocheck, Rau and so on.

Floridas D: Matheson, Robak and Petrovic+, which is pretty good when you got Kulikov and Gudbranson in the NHL already.

Markström and Brittain in goal, which is pretty sweet.

Not saying Minnesota and Florida should switch, but its definitely debatable who should be #1. But I would never even consider trading Floridas pool for Wilds pool.

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 01:47 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Man, I'm happy the Wild will finally have a good hockey team, and I'm not even a Wild fan. Their prospect group is the best in the league. Add to that Parise and Suter that are there for 13 years, Koivu and Setoguchi are still young and if Bouchard can stay healthy you have a very scary offensive squad for years to come!

bcv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 02:08 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
Man, I'm happy the Wild will finally have a good hockey team, and I'm not even a Wild fan. Their prospect group is the best in the league. Add to that Parise and Suter that are there for 13 years, Koivu and Setoguchi are still young and if Bouchard can stay healthy you have a very scary offensive squad for years to come!
29 years old (Koivu) isn't exactly considered young anymore and the chances of Bouchard staying healthy at this point are slim. He will likely be let go of or signed to a one year deal after his current contract expires in less than a year. Someone like Zucker or Coyle will probably replace him. The core pieces are in place. A #1 forward in Parise, a #1 d-man in Suter and a great prospect pool to provide depth and great players for years to come. Goaltending is starting to become a question mark for me though. Backstrom only has a few years left in him, assuming we even re-sign him, no one knows how much the MS will affect Harding, and Hackett isn't exactly lighting up the AHL like we had hoped. We have the depth in goaltending prospects, but unlike Ottawa and Florida, we have no clear cut #1 starter. In all honesty, I actually think Gustafsson will overtake both Hackett and Kuemper in a couple years.

Billy Mays Here is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 02:24 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
The Panthers have hands down the best goalie prospect in the game.

Get with the times man. Lehner>=Markstrom

After the brilliant performance from Markstrom in the SEL, Lehner has outperformed Markstrom from then till now.

Regardless, they are both excellent goalie prospects and the top 1-2 respectively, imo. To say Markstrom is hands down better is just fooling yourself.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 02:35 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers View Post
Huberdeau > Granlund
IMO
Coyle.

Quote:
Floridas C depth: Huberdeau (can play wing), Bjugstad, Shore, Grimaldi, Trocheck, Rau and so on.
I think Bjugstad will be a good pro, but I'm a little befuddled on why he isn't producing like he should right now.

Rau won't play center, in college or the NHL (if he makes it). He has not been that impressive this year.

Quote:
Floridas D: Matheson, Robak and Petrovic+, which is pretty good when you got Kulikov and Gudbranson in the NHL already.
True about the pro guys, but I imagine if we made a combined list, Minnesota would have the top 2 guys (not much after however, until we draft Jones in the summer).

Quote:
Goalies are probably pretty close. I can concede that Markstrom would be at the top, but Hackett wouldn't be far behind. After that, Minnesota could have the next two guys: Kuemper really has never had a bad year and Gustafsson is incredibly accomplished already. I like Brittain though, I'm going to make sure and catch some the Denver/Fighting Sioux game tonight.

Quote:
Not saying Minnesota and Florida should switch, but its definitely debatable who should be #1. But I would never even consider trading Floridas pool for Wilds pool.
Once you get into the top 5, it becomes very much subjective and preference driven. I wouldn't trade ours either.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 02:41 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Nick Bjugstad:
2010-2011: 29 GP, 8 goals, 12 assists for 20 points
2011-2012: 40 GP, 25 Goals, 17 Assists for 42 Points
2012-2013: 16 GP, 8 goals, 5 assists for 13 points

Eric Haula:
2010-2011: 34 GP, 6 goals, 18 assists for 24 points
2011-2012: 43 GP, 20 goals, 29 assists for 49 points
2012-2013: 16 GP, 7 goals 14 assists for 21 points

While Bjugstad has the size to play in the NHL, Haula is definitely underrated on the Gophers team.

As for Huberdeau, I think he's a bit overrated.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 02:56 PM
Samsquanch
Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superunknown94 View Post
Didn't know this article and the prospect rankings were the same thing. My bad.
The point is you shouldnt act like a made up ranking for a prospect has any more weight than a made up ranking for an organization when they're coming from the same source... You dont see the irony in that?

Samsquanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 11:42 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Quote:
Huberdeau > Granlund
IMO

There is a reason it says arguable, and Florida has no answer for Dumba or Brodin so.... Same can be said about markstrom for Florida but I don't put much stock into goaltending prospects.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 02:05 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Don't necessarily agree with the exact order, but its fairly close. I'm surprised they have Minny ranked 1st though

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 02:56 AM
ThatGuy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Don't necessarily agree with the exact order, but its fairly close. I'm surprised they have Minny ranked 1st though
Why? They have Blue Chippers at all positions and depth at most(D depth could be better, but few if any can match their forward depth).

ThatGuy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 03:37 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy22 View Post
Why? They have Blue Chippers at all positions and depth at most(D depth could be better, but few if any can match their forward depth).
Just because they have depth doesn't mean they have the elite talent a couple others do. I should state at the very beginning that I have been extremely underwhelmed by Dumba and Coyle in all the games I've watched them, which alters my view a bit. They obviously have a couple very high end guys in Granlund and Brodin (although not to the extent of Granlund), and a couple of guys that should end up very good 3rd liners, with a shot at a top 6 (or top 4) role, but that doesn't really mean they have the best prospect pool. Everyone has talented players. I'd definitely take Florida's prospect pool over Minny. I'm not saying they're bad. They're absolutely top 5, almost definitely top 3, but I'm not so sure about #1.

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 03:53 AM
Exit Dose

I agree with Minny going first. I was pretty skeptical about some of the players in their pool, but after watching some of them in Houston...I'm a convert.

Still baffled that losing Schultz dropped us as far as it did.

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 03:54 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Just because they have depth doesn't mean they have the elite talent a couple others do. I should state at the very beginning that I have been extremely underwhelmed by Dumba and Coyle in all the games I've watched them, which alters my view a bit. They obviously have a couple very high end guys in Granlund and Brodin (although not to the extent of Granlund), and a couple of guys that should end up very good 3rd liners, with a shot at a top 6 (or top 4) role, but that doesn't really mean they have the best prospect pool. Everyone has talented players. I'd definitely take Florida's prospect pool over Minny. I'm not saying they're bad. They're absolutely top 5, almost definitely top 3, but I'm not so sure about #1.
Fair enough. Dumba had a rough start and Coyle has hit a rough patch (his game is more suited for the NHL and their fast cycling). The one thing about Florida that I think separates Minnesota and Florida is a bunch of Florida guys are still in the CHL/NCAA while Minnesota's players have taken the leap.

We have a few franchise players; Granlund and Brodin

Some top 6 players in Zucker and Coyle

Some top 9 in Phillips and Larsson

Bulmer is intriguing as well.

Our goaltenders though are extremely deep. Hackett, Kuemper and Gustafsson. Gustafsson could end up being the best of the bunch.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 06:13 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Will people stop saying that Klefbom is guaranteed NHLer?

While yes the thigh cut was unfortunate (and the infection afterwards), he has had maybe 2 concussions, probably one. He had the shoulder injury. He also had a a lower body injury in April. He really reminds me of Koivu. Small nagging injuries. Some flukes, some not.

You can't ignore these injuries aren't hurting his development.
It is pretty tough to take your position seriously when you call Brodin a franchise defensemen and at the same time you want to question anyone who feels Klefbom will be a guaranteed NHL'er. Should we conclude from the fact that Brodin is out right now with a broken collarbone that he is to brittle to play in the NHL? Has this injury hurt his development enough to make him doubtful going forward?

Why not just admit what almost everyone else knows. These are two terrific young prospects that at this point both look to be sure fired NHL'ers.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 06:21 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
It is pretty tough to take your position seriously when you call Brodin a franchise defensemen and at the same time you want to question anyone who feels Klefbom will be a guaranteed NHL'er. Should we conclude from the fact that Brodin is out right now with a broken collarbone that he is to brittle to play in the NHL? Has this injury hurt his development enough to make him doubtful going forward?

Why not just admit what almost everyone else knows. These are two terrific young prospects that at this point both look to be sure fired NHL'ers.
I think he meant potential franchise dman.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 06:53 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
I think he meant potential franchise dman.
I actually have no issue with the characterization of Brodin as a potential franchise player. I may believe that this is premature and perhaps an overstatement of his value, but that is neither here nor there. The issue comes from questioning whether Klefbom should be though of as a guaranteed NHL'er, when the difference between these two is marginal at best.

Injury concerns are a legitimate topic. But so far Klefbom has not had any injuries that put his potential in serious question. The shoulder surgey is actually very common with the vast majority of players having no lasting issues once they have healed. The list of players who have had exactly the same surgery in cludes many of the games top players.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 08:56 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Were the habs ranked lower because our goaltending prospect pool is probably 34th in a league of only 30 teams ?

I know our goaltending pool sucks, but when you have a very good, young goaltender as your number 1 you don't really need to focus on trying to get another one all that hard, no ?

4 top 60 picks this year, I'm sure we'll get a goalie prospect with one of those picks.

Analyzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 10:55 AM
Zathronas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
I agree with Minny going first. I was pretty skeptical about some of the players in their pool, but after watching some of them in Houston...I'm a convert.

Still baffled that losing Schultz dropped us as far as it did.
I think it's due to other clubs getting a better pool of prospects than just losing Schultz. It does affect them but not that much.

Zathronas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 11:01 AM
Exit Dose

We didn't exactly walk out of the last draft empty handed.

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 11:10 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Were the habs ranked lower because our goaltending prospect pool is probably 34th in a league of only 30 teams ?

I know our goaltending pool sucks, but when you have a very good, young goaltender as your number 1 you don't really need to focus on trying to get another one all that hard, no ?

4 top 60 picks this year, I'm sure we'll get a goalie prospect with one of those picks.
I thought the Habs ranking was spot on. Some teams above should be lower yet some teams below should be higher, Habs are right where they should be.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 11:51 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
I actually have no issue with the characterization of Brodin as a potential franchise player. I may believe that this is premature and perhaps an overstatement of his value, but that is neither here nor there. The issue comes from questioning whether Klefbom should be though of as a guaranteed NHL'er, when the difference between these two is marginal at best.

Injury concerns are a legitimate topic. But so far Klefbom has not had any injuries that put his potential in serious question. The shoulder surgey is actually very common with the vast majority of players having no lasting issues once they have healed. The list of players who have had exactly the same surgery in cludes many of the games top players.
Yeah, I know. If he does the rehab well it should be close to 100? He can still skate (just better not fall down). It will likely slow down he's progress but that's about it.

Labrum tears are also weird, you could play months with it, shoulder feeling bad/little bad but not that bad that you wouldn't play with it; injuries happen all the time, bruises are part of the game. Then one hit that isn't necessarily even a big one and shoulder is totally ****ed.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 12:07 PM
ThatGuy22

Quote:
Honestly I'd take either of them, and there isn't a bad answer. Its HF's ranking and in their top 50 Minnesota was the only team with 4 in the top 50(all actually in the top 30). Florida was tied with the second most with three(Huberdeau, Markstrom and Bjugstad), but Bjugstad was down at 39 behind Coyle.

So atleast they are being consistent between rankings. It's all splitting hairs.

ThatGuy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2012, 01:29 PM
LordFletcher

Quote:

Huberdeau > Granlund

I stopped reading after that!

Huberdeau is a great prospect, but he is playing in the Q, NOT the AHL and is two years older than most of the players going against him every night.

Granlund and Huberdeau are exciting prospects but Granlund is much more proven at this point in both players professional careers. We can call it a draw, but in no way shape or form can you come to the conclusion that Huberdeau is better than Granlund. I would be happy with either and I am

LordFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote