HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

The Walking Dead: Season 3 (Part IV) Returns Feb. 10th

Closed Thread

Old
12-07-2012, 04:34 PM
Kitten Mittons

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie10 View Post
Just want to say...after watching Battlestar Galactica for the first time and going back to TWD, TWD has some major plot and character issues this season.
Lol, I'm re-watching BSG right now as well - such a fantastic show. One thing both shows have in common though are annoying ass characters and subpar supporting cast - they don't ruin the show but they don't make it better, that's for sure.

Old
12-07-2012, 04:50 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
I assume we'll find out more about Michonne and the Governor in the 2nd half of the season.
I think that's a given. People just need some patience. In the last couple episodes, you can clearly see how desensitized that the group has gotten towards the walkers. In some cases,they don't even bother killing them anymore. I think the show is evolving where its less about slayings and more about the governer vs team rick. I think this gives more time for character development, since walker killings wont take up so much time.

I think michonne's refusal to tell anything about her past is intriguing, and its one of the reasons why I keep watching. I remember Andrea was asking about her story, but she flat out refused to open up. There's nothing wrong with slow development.

Old
12-07-2012, 05:37 PM
Eisen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
Who do you think dies next?
Have a feeling it will be Merle. Can't stay with the Governor and certainly can't see him in Rick's group. Just too much bad blood between them.

Last edited by Eisen: 12-07-2012 at 06:11 PM.
Old
12-07-2012, 05:43 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisen View Post
Have a feeling it will be Merle. Can't stay with the Governor and certainly can't see him in Rick's group. Just too much bad blood between them. I have a feeling it will be Merle. Can't stay with the Governor and I certainly can't see him in Rick's group. Too much bad blood between them.
I thought he would die in the mid season finale. As much bad blood as he has with rick's group, I cant see them shooting him because of the darryl dimension. I think the governer will get him at some point, perhaps while saving darryl.

I dont think we will see any notable deaths until we get towards the season finale. If we do, it will probably be Axel. He seemed to turn into his real self once rick and co. left the prison.

Old
12-07-2012, 06:09 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Have a feeling it will be Merle. Can't stay with the Governor and certainly can't see him in Rick's group. Just too much bad blood between them. I have a feeling it will be Merle. Can't stay with the Governor and I certainly can't see him in Rick's group. Too much bad blood between them.
I keep forgetting Merle shot that dude in the head for essentially nothing... That was cold.

I don't think he is going to be alive much longer because the Gov is pissed at Merle and Rick can't trust a guy like him.

Unless this is some plot to get Merle inside Rick's group using Daryl. Maybe? Who knows.

Old
12-07-2012, 06:11 PM
Eisen

How did my post turn double?

Old
12-07-2012, 09:12 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
it's a TV show about a zombie apocalypse....
All right, I'm sick of hearing these excuses for shows like the TWD. It does not exclude it from glaring plot holes or bad writing. You could then use this excuse for any show that contains a bit of Scifi. If that's the case, the premier in Feb could reveal that Michonne is from another planet sent to practice her hunting skills on Earth. She does have the Predator hair thing going on.

No, we watch because we want to know how people would react if such an event were to occur. Take out the Zombies and TWD is more or less a study of any apocalyptic event where everyone is struggling to survive.

Old
12-07-2012, 10:18 PM
Richie10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Lol, I'm re-watching BSG right now as well - such a fantastic show. One thing both shows have in common though are annoying ass characters and subpar supporting cast - they don't ruin the show but they don't make it better, that's for sure.
No way. BSG's cast kicks the hell out of TWD's. Shane is the only character I'd put up with the Adamas, Starbuck, Baltar, etc. in terms of development, depth, and an actual arc. TWD has pretty static, boring characters, all things considered. It's always been the Rick and Shane show - now just the Rick show (which is probably why this season isn't nearly as compelling as seasons 1 and 2). BSG had a wealth of multifacted, constantly evolving characters, with only a single "annoying" character (Ellen).

Lots of action and zombie guts and sensationalism in TWD S3 - not much depth. BSG is a work of art. TWD just isn't there - yet.

Old
12-07-2012, 11:12 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
No way. BSG's cast kicks the hell out of TWD's. Shane is the only character I'd put up with the Adamas, Starbuck, Baltar, etc. in terms of development, depth, and an actual arc. TWD has pretty static, boring characters, all things considered. It's always been the Rick and Shane show - now just the Rick show (which is probably why this season isn't nearly as compelling as seasons 1 and 2). BSG had a wealth of multifacted, constantly evolving characters, with only a single "annoying" character (Ellen).
I meant in terms of acting ability, not character development. The main characters of both shows can act (Rick, Shane, Daryl - Adama, Starbuck, Baltar) but the rest are just average. Cally is the worst character, ugh, so annoying.

Quote:
Lots of action and zombie guts and sensationalism in TWD S3 - not much depth. BSG is a work of art. TWD just isn't there - yet.
They had to make up for season 2. I think they've tried using last season to bring some drama, character development, etc but it just wasn't there so they got back to what made it popular in the first place.

Old
12-08-2012, 12:09 AM
dogbazinho

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post
All right, I'm sick of hearing these excuses for shows like the TWD. It does not exclude it from glaring plot holes or bad writing. You could then use this excuse for any show that contains a bit of Scifi. If that's the case, the premier in Feb could reveal that Michonne is from another planet sent to practice her hunting skills on Earth. She does have the Predator hair thing going on.

No, we watch because we want to know how people would react if such an event were to occur. Take out the Zombies and TWD is more or less a study of any apocalyptic event where everyone is struggling to survive.
I've always made the argument that mainstream SCI-FI needs more character development and realism to make their SCI-FI/Fantasy elements more plausible. Some people think anything with a dragon or zombie in it makes it B grade and doesn't require any thought put into it. These people are not fans of the genre in any way.

Old
12-08-2012, 12:13 AM
Swedish Fish
CONQUERED

Quote:
Have a feeling it will be Merle. Can't stay with the Governor and certainly can't see him in Rick's group. Just too much bad blood between them.
Agreed, he has no place.

Old
12-08-2012, 12:24 AM
KesselBuiltMyHotrod

I think everyone hates Michonne because she kept Andrea alive and Andrea is the worst.

Old
12-08-2012, 12:26 AM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

I read all the comics. It's not that much better than the show, and the show isn't great either.

But the genre is entertaining so I do enjoy watching/reading them.

Thoughts on the episode? Michonne is so stupid lol.

Old
12-08-2012, 12:33 AM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
I can't really remember much from season 1, but I don't think Daryl ever left on his own without telling anyone, putting them at risk. Even though Rick chained up his brother, he still worked with him to find him. He risked his life in Season 2 to find Sophia. Not to mention he doesn't walk around with a scowl on his face every moment.

It's kind of bizarre Daryl was a character made up by the writers of the show, probably meant to be zombie fodder before his popularity rose, the writers gave him his own backstory and created a great character. Yet Michonne, a fan favourite character with a great backstory(apparently anyway) has really failed make people care for her. Even her moments with Andrea haven't been light hearted, and we just see her talking about the Governor some more.

We've seen Tyreese show more emotional range in his 10 minutes. This season has been much improved though.
Part of the problem wiht Michonne is that her intro to the series very quickly because much much darker than they were willing to show on TV.

The other part is that she has had zero time given to developing her character at all. They will hopefully fix it when she becomes a permanent member of the group, but we shall see.

Spoil:
If they follow the comics than the Tyreese/Michonne relationship should add to both characters

Old
12-08-2012, 12:40 AM
Ser Woof
0b11111011000

vCash: 50
Time and time again dedicating the time to type out long winded replies in this thread just feels like running in circles and a major waste of time.

And to the influx of first time posters in this thread that have come in over the last few pages to share their opinions that TWD is a horrible show with horrible writing, horrible acting etc;

http://www.metacritic.com/tv/the-walking-dead/season-3

You'd think that critics, whom actually you know, critique entertainment as a living wouldn't give the show an aggregate rating that gives the show universal acclaim over the course of its first 3 seasons if it was as horrible as a few people want the rest of us to believe. And please don't say it's "because it has zombies".

I'm having trouble noticing this supposed horrible writing and horrible acting the vocal minority is noticing.

Old
12-08-2012, 01:13 AM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
Part of the problem wiht Michonne is that her intro to the series very quickly because much much darker than they were willing to show on TV.

The other part is that she has had zero time given to developing her character at all. They will hopefully fix it when she becomes a permanent member of the group, but we shall see.

Spoil:
If they follow the comics than the Tyreese/Michonne relationship should add to both characters
Why the hell did I quote this and read the spoiler?!? I'm a dumbass. I was going to say they keep introducing new characters and that will make it difficult to flesh them all out. Your point in the spoiler will help a lot.

Last edited by HawksFan74: 12-08-2012 at 01:19 AM.
Old
12-08-2012, 04:22 AM
Vip
Dubnyk Support Team

For those that think Merle is going to die soon.. He posted a picture on his instagram 3 days ago. Caption says "...My last day, the last act of season 3...".

Thoughts?

What I am taking from this, is that he is going to survive until the finale of season 3. He makes it sound like he was acting in season 3 all the way until the last episode.

Old
12-08-2012, 04:41 AM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saucey View Post
For those that think Merle is going to die soon.. He posted a picture on his instagram 3 days ago. Caption says "...My last day, the last act of season 3...".

Thoughts?

What I am taking from this, is that he is going to survive until the finale of season 3. He makes it sound like he was acting in season 3 all the way until the last episode.

Sounds like he is just trolling people. He could have been in a flashback in the last episode. I don't see him living through the finale but who knows.

Old
12-08-2012, 11:14 AM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWoof View Post
Time and time again dedicating the time to type out long winded replies in this thread just feels like running in circles and a major waste of time.

And to the influx of first time posters in this thread that have come in over the last few pages to share their opinions that TWD is a horrible show with horrible writing, horrible acting etc;

http://www.metacritic.com/tv/the-walking-dead/season-3

You'd think that critics, whom actually you know, critique entertainment as a living wouldn't give the show an aggregate rating that gives the show universal acclaim over the course of its first 3 seasons if it was as horrible as a few people want the rest of us to believe. And please don't say it's "because it has zombies".

I'm having trouble noticing this supposed horrible writing and horrible acting the vocal minority is noticing.
Read some of those reviews, it's like they were written to be quoted on the DVD box set. Like the quotes you see used in commercials for movies you know are terrible(not saying TWD is btw).

I'm not trusting a review like this, "The Walking Dead, the flat-out scariest, best, most unusual show to ever hit the small screen, is back, and I'm loving every sickening minute of it." Those were all written at the beginning of the season too.

That said, The Walking Dead is still better than any network drama on TV right now, and probably the third best show on AMC, but that's not saying much.

Old
12-09-2012, 02:42 AM
Diamondillium
DO YOU WANT ANTS!?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy Kassian View Post
I read all the comics. It's not that much better than the show, and the show isn't great either.

But the genre is entertaining so I do enjoy watching/reading them.

Thoughts on the episode? Michonne is so stupid lol.
On the comics/show front, I'll throw in my 2 cents.

I prefer the show in terms of an episode to episode basis. Watching 1 single episode is more enjoyable than reading a single issue. This is mostly due to the fact that it is simply the format of a TV show is more enjoyable to me than the format of a comic, and this allows the TV show to go into great depth in some characters where we may not get the opportunity to.

I prefer the comics in a plot-line basis. The plot of the comics is much more appealing to me, and I would rather spend a night going over the entire comic series rather than spend a night or two going over the entire show series. I also love the comics just to the flat out darkness of them. Some of the stuff they put into the comics are just completely unable to replicate on basic cable.

However, I am one of the few who doesn't shun one of them and fanboy to the other, and I absolutely love them both.

Old
12-09-2012, 04:22 AM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Sometimes I hate to read forums involving TV shows I like. There are always those know-it-alls that want to tell you how terrible a show you like is. The last 10 pages are a testament to that.

Jeez, it isn't perfect but it's damn fine TV.

Old
12-09-2012, 04:30 AM
Kitten Mittons

When it comes to this Entertainment forum, my biggest pet peeve is - SO WHO DO YOU THINK IS GOING TO DIE??? Who cares man, let's just watch and find out. Make it a surprise for yourself not an ego stroking exercise.

Old
12-09-2012, 07:34 AM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondillium View Post
On the comics/show front, I'll throw in my 2 cents.

I prefer the show in terms of an episode to episode basis. Watching 1 single episode is more enjoyable than reading a single issue. This is mostly due to the fact that it is simply the format of a TV show is more enjoyable to me than the format of a comic, and this allows the TV show to go into great depth in some characters where we may not get the opportunity to.

I prefer the comics in a plot-line basis. The plot of the comics is much more appealing to me, and I would rather spend a night going over the entire comic series rather than spend a night or two going over the entire show series. I also love the comics just to the flat out darkness of them. Some of the stuff they put into the comics are just completely unable to replicate on basic cable.

However, I am one of the few who doesn't shun one of them and fanboy to the other, and I absolutely love them both.
I feel much the same way. I appreciate that the show tends to deviate from the comics...definitely keeps it interesting.

Old
12-09-2012, 08:48 PM
Johnny Bravo
Avi until he's fired

My Sundays are lacking

Old
12-09-2012, 09:29 PM
RECsGuy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post