HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: ...Reticulating Splines...

Closed Thread

Old
12-08-2012, 11:23 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
The killing-a-cougar-using-a-stick-of-dynamite challenge was pretty fun. the Sasquatch mission on the other hand was quite disheartening.
Cougars and dynamite??? Huh??? What are you talking about???

In Red Dead Redemption the only cougar related Master Hunter Challenge is Rank 5 when you need to kill two cougars wih your melee knife and skin them. And the Sasquatch is in Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare. I was just talking about normal RDR before.

Old
12-09-2012, 12:11 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Just watched The Dark Knight Rises for the 2nd time and I must say... it's 1000000x better than I remembered. I cannot believe how well-done this movie is. The guy who plays Bane should be given so much credit. Maybe even credit like Ledger got for his Joker portrayal.

What a ****ing epic movie. Soooooo damn good.

Old
12-09-2012, 12:28 AM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
Cougars and dynamite??? Huh??? What are you talking about???

In Red Dead Redemption the only cougar related Master Hunter Challenge is Rank 5 when you need to kill two cougars wih your melee knife and skin them. And the Sasquatch is in Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare. I was just talking about normal RDR before.
i guess it's in some kind of expansion pack. it's one of the challenges you need to do to get this outfit:

the game proper, the zombie version, and all the various DLCs kind of smear together in my mind.

Old
12-09-2012, 03:48 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
i guess it's in some kind of expansion pack. it's one of the challenges you need to do to get this outfit:

the game proper, the zombie version, and all the various DLCs kind of smear together in my mind.
Ahhh touche.

I bought Undead Nightmare ages ago but haven't gotten around to playing it yet. To be honest the whole undead/zombie thing seems silly for a game like RDR in my opinion.

Old
12-09-2012, 05:07 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOTO View Post
I generally don't do multiplayer unless people are in the room with me. When I do play online it's always with the same friend and we have very few games in common. So basically if a game isn't good for single player, it's not good for me. I hate the trend of moving away from single player and especially in room multiplayer. I went ahead and sold it before those responses, and they just reinforce that I made the right decision. For me it was exactly like any open world FPS this generation. Totally bland gameplay-wise. Nice visual style though. Reminded me of a darker Valkyria Chronicle.

Also, I think nerds are mainstream now. Something can move tons of units while appealing mostly to that culture, especially when they're driving the medium, as in the case of video games.

All the guys at Gamestop were on my case about selling it, too. The modern nerd is the modern bully, the enforcer of an pseudo-alternative monoculture!
I think your lumping of "nerds" into a single group is silly. As you hinted at, its grown into way too big a group to be grouped together. But I agree with your notion that borderlands is a mediocre single player game at best. Also, Valkyria Chronicles is awesome.

In general, I have to agree with the idea that too many games are being designed to only be played via online multiplayer. Not that they are bad games, but as I grow older I have a much harder time getting a group of friends available at the same time to really enjoy them. Its so rare that when that's the only way to play a game, its typically not worth playing. Single player games are still there, but the in-room multiplayer options are really starting to dwindle. Its basically Nintendo keeping that alive and even their games have gone downhill in that regard since Gamecube imo. But I may just be getting old.

Old
12-09-2012, 05:14 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Just watched The Dark Knight Rises for the 2nd time and I must say... it's 1000000x better than I remembered. I cannot believe how well-done this movie is. The guy who plays Bane should be given so much credit. Maybe even credit like Ledger got for his Joker portrayal.

I need to watch it again. My biggest gripes (trying to avoid SPOILERS) are that Gotham feels completely empty and that the "twist" wasn't handled particularly well. Just seemed forced in for the sake of getting the name into the movie. Bane was great and Cat Woman was handled pretty much perfectly imo. I still give my nod to Dark Knight just because Joker and Dent are my favorite batman characters, but Rises was probably a better framed movie. TDK had a little bit of a shaky ending just rushing two conclusions into one movie.

Tom Hardy is an awesome actor for sure. I was very impressed with Anne Hathaway as well.

Old
12-09-2012, 06:21 AM
JTG

Watched Warrior last night. Pretty good movie.

Old
12-09-2012, 09:27 AM
Sorry

I really enjoyed Dark Knight Rises until I started thinking about a few things. One of those being why(SPOILERS) did every cop go in the tunnels? Is that the new standard operating procedure? Send everyone into a place where you don't know what is waiting for you? That was stupid. Dark Helmet would be proud though as his "Evil will always win because good is dumb." statement was very applicable there.

Old
12-09-2012, 10:51 AM
BrunoPuntzJones
Biscuit Scorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I think your lumping of "nerds" into a single group is silly. As you hinted at, its grown into way too big a group to be grouped together. But I agree with your notion that borderlands is a mediocre single player game at best. Also, Valkyria Chronicles is awesome.

In general, I have to agree with the idea that too many games are being designed to only be played via online multiplayer. Not that they are bad games, but as I grow older I have a much harder time getting a group of friends available at the same time to really enjoy them. Its so rare that when that's the only way to play a game, its typically not worth playing. Single player games are still there, but the in-room multiplayer options are really starting to dwindle. Its basically Nintendo keeping that alive and even their games have gone downhill in that regard since Gamecube imo. But I may just be getting old.
Oh, there's no doubt that "nerd" encompasses such a large group that it's a somewhat meaningless cultural descriptor these days. A while back I was drawing a distinction between a nerd (someone who is really into any sort of mildly esoteric hobby) and a Nerd (an entitled person who obsessively consumes certain cultural products). The nerd loves video games for the sake of the medium, the Nerd loves the opportunity to put someone down for not liking the right games.

Yeah, VC is great. A ton of fun and really beautiful to look at. Even a nice soundtrack. Some of the story elements and voice acting are a little hokey but that kind of adds to the charm. I never actually finished it because I realized way way late that I was basically playing all wrong (I was taking my time but apparently you're supposed to complete the missions in as few turns as possible) and it was impossible to progress, so I gave up. (Pretty much always happens to me in RPGs.) I definitely want to go back and finish it up, even if it means using a walkthrough.

Along with Borderlands 2, I traded in Red Faction: Guerrilla (liked the PS2 installments of the series, not keen on the GTA-in-space vibes here) and Killzone 2 (my first experience with the crushing disappointment of phased out in-room multiplayer, but a decent game otherwise that I just wasn't going to play again). I was trying to take advantage of an offer of a $10 bonus when trading three items, but the latter two games were pretty much worthless and didn't qualify. ANYWAY, in exchange I got:
All Pro Football 2K8
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Ultimate Edition (Surprisingly solid single player mode so far, though I always thought the original Battlefield games worked just fine in single player even if they clearly weren't designed for it. Unfortunately the codes to access bonus content don't work on a used copy.)
Heavy Rain (About to play this for the first time.)
NHL 2K7

Basically all of these relate to games I enjoyed in high school or early in my college years. APF2K8 is basically an update of ESPN NFL 2K5, which is still my favorite football game. I loved Battlefiend 1942 and Battlefield Vietnam. Heavy Rain seems kind of like Indigo Prophecy, which I never got to play in full despite really digging the demo. (I remember having trouble finding it in stores and ended up forgetting it.) And NHL 2K7 I had for PS2 and I kind of want to see what I was missing with the PS3 version. So far it just seems like better graphics, but I always loved how the 2K series had classic teams. The first game I played was '93 Nordiques vs. '93 Jets, of course.

Old
12-09-2012, 01:05 PM
Florentino Ariza

Quote:

I have to completely disagree. The Dark Knight is a masterpiece. Rises took everything I liked about the previous film and took a huge **** all over it.

Old
12-09-2012, 08:07 PM
invictus

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florentino Ariza View Post
I have to completely disagree. The Dark Knight is a masterpiece. Rises took everything I liked about the previous film and took a huge **** all over it.
I am with Florentino on this one. I actually didn't watch Rises until about a week and a half ago. It was rather disappointing to me. The plot made very little sense, and it just all seemed a bit forced. Plus...Hines Ward returning a punt?

Old
12-09-2012, 10:37 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

The Dark Knight > Batman Begins > The Dark Knight Rises

Also, The Avengers was the best comic book movie of the year.

Old
12-10-2012, 08:52 PM
invictus

How much do you all use Facebook? I've always been a very moderate user. I log in about once a day to check updates or messages. I reply, and that is it. I have a few (very few friends) that have abstained completely, and then of course some that compulsively check everything constantly.

I was just pondering, though, that it'd be weird to delete. It takes up maybe 5 minutes of my day. But...it has for years, haha.

Old
12-10-2012, 09:10 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
I'm a user. When you move around as much as I do it's a very handy tool to have.

I'm pretty brutal when it comes to deleting friends, though. I like to keep my friend number at a completely arbitrary set amount, and as I add friends I tend to unfriend people who I haven't talked to in a long time. I have no interest in sorting through 1,000 people's ******** to find something that I actually care about.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
12-10-2012, 10:07 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

today i logged into facebook for probably the first time in three months. the social order of the world did not collapse in my absence.

i've found twitter and regularly old email to be more effective tools and frankly if fb is the only way somebody has to contact me, well then i don't think either of us are too worried about staying in contact.

i will say that the only two exes i care to keep tabs on appear to be the only two people of our generation who use ONLY LinkedIn and no other form of social media. i guess it's a good thing, that is until my curiosity is piqued regarding their lives.

Last edited by Crafton: 12-10-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old
12-10-2012, 10:11 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

See, I loathe Twitter and barely ever check my email.

I'm forcing myself to start to get 'into' Twitter as a career move...but I'm going in kicking and screaming.

Old
12-10-2012, 10:12 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Watched Warrior last night. Pretty good movie.
Just had to quote this. I watched it two nights in a row and made my wife watch it. Got a little teary during the last fight too. Tom Hardy is an awesome actor.

Great movie, and reps Pittsburgh to boot.

Old
12-11-2012, 02:54 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

I can proudly say that I've never had a Facebook. IMO, society was much better before that online monstrosity ever existed. Just like cellphones and Smartphones I have seen first hand members of my family practically addicted to Facebook and I have never understood why. Sure I've used Facebook (without logging in) to check product or game info for things that have interested me and I've checked the Pens Facebook page a few times. But as far as me ever having my own actual page....never.

#YesThat'sRightI'mAwesome

When Facebook began, sure I'll admit the concept was intriguing. You could use it to keep in touch with old schoolmates, members of your family or friends who don't live in your town anymore, etc. But for the most part now, it's become a cesspool of stupidity. Both my fiancee (who uses Facebook) and I have said, if you really want to see how ridiculous, immature, or just flat out stupid your friends are...just add them on Facebook. It's the fastest way to change your opinion on somebody.

To prove said point, my fiancee has an acquaintance on her FB page that she just keeps as a Facebook friend so she can read what this woman will post just because it's so incrediably ridiculous, nonsensical, or just...beyond moronic. Seriously, some of this stuff that this woman posts falls well beyond the "too much info" or "errrm...dontcha think that's private???" category. It's insane, although it provides some serious comical amusement.

Old
12-11-2012, 03:06 AM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

Old
12-11-2012, 04:15 AM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Old
12-11-2012, 04:30 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Gotta do my laundry later. Ugh...I hate doing laundry.

Old
12-11-2012, 06:38 AM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Random question: Can anyone recommend a good traditional-style tattoo artist in Pittsburgh? I'm going to be home for the holidays and it'd be nice to get some more ink done as a reminder of home while I'm away. The problem is, I only know people in Chicago (and Seattle), and I'm kind of a snob about my ink.

Recommendations? Any suggestions on people to avoid? All I remember that was open back when I still lived in the Burgh was Angry Moon and Jester's Court.

Old
12-11-2012, 12:03 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyOwn View Post
Just had to quote this. I watched it two nights in a row and made my wife watch it. Got a little teary during the last fight too. Tom Hardy is an awesome actor.

Great movie, and reps Pittsburgh to boot.
Tom Hardy got some of the sickest traps I've ever seen...

Old
12-11-2012, 01:01 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

I found Warrior to be surprisingly great. I just assumed it was another dumb fight movie a la "Never Back Down". Completely wrong.

Nolte was awesome in this.

12-11-2012, 01:26 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

The father / son dynamic in the movie was what made it. It was more than just a beat em up movie.

Closed Thread